Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   For those that eat sweet potatoes-how many do you consume per week? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/608523-those-eat-sweet-potatoes-how-many-do-you-consume-per-week.html)

dae_tona 03-15-2009 10:24 AM

For those that eat sweet potatoes-how many do you consume per week?

I eat one per week. I consider it my indulgence.

Dyan

CurlsNCuffs 03-15-2009 10:37 AM

That's about my limit too! I love them!

Recluse 03-15-2009 10:37 AM

I average about one a week also. Recently discovered how yummy they are roasted. 1/4 inch slices sprayed with Pam, salt and peppered - I bake them at 325 for 15 min's, turn and salt and pepper the other side for 15 more min's. Great with hamburger patties...Also make potato salad with them frequently - just sub them for potatos!

Sahrablue 03-15-2009 11:15 AM

My mom has been doing low carb for years, me for 14 months. I JUST had a baked sweet potato drowned in butter at my mom's house last month and OH MY HEAVENS, I love them. I havent had one since because I keep forgetting to buy them. I am going to do one per week also. Thanks for the reminder. OH and deep fried as french fries are probably out of this world! I cant wait!

Phils_wifey 03-15-2009 11:22 AM

I ave NEVER eaten a sweet potato. What recipes do you guys use with sweet potatos? I am wanting to try something new. :)

disgal 03-15-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phils_wifey (Post 11700616)
I ave NEVER eaten a sweet potato. What recipes do you guys use with sweet potatos? I am wanting to try something new. :)

WHAT???!!! You've NEVER had a sweet potato?

You are going to love them. Ok. Poke some holes in them (you don't need to peel them at all) with a knife or fork so they don't explode in the oven........put them either in a dish or I just put them on some aluminum foil........bake in the oven (toaster oven works fine too is you are just doing one or two) for about 40-50 minutes.......take them out, slice down the middle and drench in butter. Oh, my heart they are so good!

I've been staying away from them because I'm pretty strict with my carb count, but it will be the FIRST thing I add to my diet when I allow myself a little more carbs. Yummmmmmm.

Phils_wifey 03-15-2009 11:46 AM

Yes I am a wierd one who has never tried them :rofl: I have always been scared to try one. I promise I will go out and try one now, okay? :laugh: I am not sure of the carb count though. Are they pretty high?

Pcola Girl 03-15-2009 11:48 AM

Only about one a month if that often. Do any of you all know how many carbs are in a medium sweet potato? Are they ok to eat on low carb? I always feel I am cheating when I eat one.

http://http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...weetpotoat.jpg

disgal 03-15-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phils_wifey (Post 11700728)
Yes I am a wierd one who has never tried them :rofl: I have always been scared to try one. I promise I will go out and try one now, okay? :laugh: I am not sure of the carb count though. Are they pretty high?

****** says 1 cup has about 34 net grams. So a half cup would be about 17 grams. Way too high for me right now but oh, so good.

Pcola Girl 03-15-2009 12:01 PM

SWEET POTATO CHIPS

Vegetable oil for deep frying
3 lb. sweet potatoes or yams, peeled
1 tbsp. coarse (kosher) salt
1 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

In large saucepan, heat 2 inches oil to 325 degrees F. Slice potatoes 1/16 inch thick;
fry in batches 3 minutes, until golden (allow oil to return to 325 degrees F. between batches).
Drain on papaer towel to absorb grease.
In bowl, mix seasonings; toss with warm chips.

Makes 16 servings. Per serving: 161 calories, 1 g. protein, 24 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fat, 0 cholesterol, 407 mg. sodium.

The carb content in them seems high to me but I hear that they are ok on low carb. Can anyone explain that to me?
I was thinking about making some to try them.

Sahrablue 03-15-2009 12:12 PM

They are just better for low car than regular potatoes carb count wise from what I understand. They take a significant chunk out of your low carb day, but if you do a mostly meat and cheese type of day and treat yourself with a sweet potatoe, why the heck not!

gharkness 03-15-2009 12:12 PM

While I too love sweet potatoes, they are just too high carb to justify(for me). If you find you would like something just as good, but not as high carb, try butternut squash. Oh, so good!

disgal 03-15-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahrablue (Post 11700851)
They are just better for low car than regular potatoes carb count wise from what I understand. They take a significant chunk out of your low carb day, but if you do a mostly meat and cheese type of day and treat yourself with a sweet potatoe, why the heck not!

that's true, that would work.

LadyJulieAnn 03-15-2009 12:20 PM

They have a lower glycemic impact, which means they don't spike your blood sugar as much as regular potatoes.

Bonnie 03-15-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyJulieAnn (Post 11700881)
They have a lower glycemic impact, which means they don't spike your blood sugar as much as regular potatoes.

^^^^ that. I'm in maintenance and I eat them a couple of times a week. I usually get 2-3 meals out of one, depending on the size I buy. I like the garnets the best. :love:

FloridaShell 03-15-2009 01:28 PM

Once in a blue moon. I was eating them twice a week and still steadily losing weight.:up:

Tyl 03-15-2009 01:34 PM

MMmmm I love and miss sweet potatoes and butternut squash. Adding that to my grocery list next week! Thanks for the reminder!

Glamour P! 03-15-2009 01:50 PM

I love love love sweet potatoes. The first time I ever had them was when I was 9 and we went to India for a holiday. I was so sick and couldn't stomach anything. So my grandad baked me a sweet potato, sliced it up, popped some butter, salt and pepper on it and ta da! It was all I ate really for 9 weeks LoL.
I had stopped losing for lots of reasons, but last week I halved a small SP and had it twice during the week, and still managed to lose 5lbs.
They take away my need for anything sweet, sugary and carby. They form a part of my "if you must cheat foods" list..
G x

frogfarm 03-15-2009 02:22 PM

Home fried sweet potato chips with sour cream is one of the few things I can still easily eat too much of -- had a whole potato's worth a few days ago! SO GOOD!

daisyHair 03-15-2009 02:27 PM

I ate them regularly (a couple times a month at least) when I lost all my weight before.

Although they seem to be higher in carb, if you are careful and don't over do them, because they are very low GI, you will probably be fine.

They will be the first thing I am going to add back when I get ready to go up in carbs a bit.

I love them roasted too. I used to scrub them, slice them in large fries, toss them in melted butter and salt and roast in the oven.. They are VERY good.

brandyxoxo25 03-15-2009 02:49 PM

Mmmmmmm, sweet potato drenched in butter, sprinkled with cinnamon, and a packet of splenda!!UGH!! I LOVE them! Cant have them yet, but I LOVE them!

Sarajewel 03-15-2009 03:25 PM

:love: Love sweet potatoes! I prolly have one a month and one makes 2 meals. They are carby, but I figure the nutrient density makes up for it.

JerseyGardenGirl 03-15-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahrablue (Post 11700586)
My mom has been doing low carb for years, me for 14 months. I JUST had a baked sweet potato drowned in butter at my mom's house last month and OH MY HEAVENS, I love them. I havent had one since because I keep forgetting to buy them. I am going to do one per week also. Thanks for the reminder. OH and deep fried as french fries are probably out of this world! I cant wait!

This. You want to talk about delicious? Sweet potato fries are where it's at!

I eat a sweet potato usually once every two weeks or so. Drowned in butter, cinnamon and splenda, omg. :love:

Tyl 03-15-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadeca1 (Post 11701686)
This. You want to talk about delicious? Sweet potato fries are where it's at!

I eat a sweet potato usually once every two weeks or so. Drowned in butter, cinnamon and splenda, omg. :love:

I intend to have one tomorrow just that way with dinner! thanks for this thread.

dae_tona 03-16-2009 07:12 AM

Sweet potato fries rawk! Love 'em!

One of my favorite things to do with a sweet potato is to sprinkle pumpkin pie spice on them...almost like eating a pie...

Dyan

jo2621 03-16-2009 07:27 AM

I grew up in in the south (SC) and we rarely had white potatoes at home (no wonder I was so tiny). My mother could do some amazing things with them. She would bake sweet potatoes in their skins to have with butter for dinner. She'd always do a few extra and put them in the 'fridge.

Then at breakfast she'd pull the skins off the whole potato and slice it crosswise into rounds. She'd saute them in a bit of bacon grease or in butter until they were browned and carmamelized. The bacon ones were plain and good with a little salt & she'd sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the butter fried ones. Both kind were sooo good with eggs and meat for breakfast.

We eat them every once in a while. Love them mashed with a few pecans sprinkled on them.

Moving On 03-16-2009 07:40 AM

[COLOR="Purple"]Wow ~ it's been awhile since I've had a sweet potato! You guys have made them sound so good, so it's going on my grocery list ~ but only ONE. :p[/COLOR]

Charski 03-16-2009 09:31 AM

We don't eat them OFTEN, maybe twice a month, but we love them. I love to eat the skin too, after having eaten out the insides, I put a big pat of butter in it and squoosh it all til it's soft and melty and then - down the hatch!

I just posted this recipe in the Recipes Help forum - we had it last night and it was AWESOME. I used 2 good-sized sweet potatoes for the whole recipe - we only ate half the dish so that means half a sweet potato each. Not bad.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-potatoes.html

thisisrightnow 03-16-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phils_wifey (Post 11700616)

WHAT? Oh man. I LOVE sweet potatoes. Those are my downfall at Thanksgiving time, when people would prepare them in brown sugar, etc. I actually prefer sweet potatoes over regular white potatoes. They taste just as good with butter and aren't as carb heavy.

I usually just buy a sweet potato, bake it and eat like a regular potato with butter. I would also only eat half at a time since I generally eat them with protein and a salad.

Sahrablue 03-20-2009 04:47 PM

i am pissed off, I have never bought sweet potatoes, I bought what said at the store it was a sweet potatoe and come to find out, I cut it open and it's orange! YAMS are NOT sweet potatoes AND have about 10 more carbs!! I wanted sweet potatoes!