Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: disgal
Stats: highest 295/265/135
WOE: Very Low carb with No Frankenfoods!
Start Date: 1/6/2009
Diverticulosis/Fiber/Coconut oil...

Well, had the colonoscopy today. They had two emergencies in the morning so my 10:45am appt. turned into a 1:30pm appt. I didn't complain.......I told the nurse I'm grateful that "I" wasn't the emergency. What do people expect the doctors to do, not help people? Anyway, I had my hubby with me and we hung out watching FoxNews and the Food Network.

Good news, no polyps so that was good. But the doc said I have a lot of diverticula (diverticulosis). I had to do some reading to understand this because I have no symptoms of it so it took me off guard. It's when a part of your colon gets weak and actually bulges out, creating a pocket in your colon that food can get caught in and get infected. When it gets to that point, it's called diverticulitis.

So.......guess what they say causes this. Not enough fiber. Just the subject that I have been struggling with.....do I add more, do I not. Ugh!!

My questions:

1). Does anyone on here have this and what do you know/do about it?

2). I know there are books out there (the Taubes book I think?) that talk about how fiber actually hurts our intestines. Do they even say that for people with problems like mine?

3). The doc said you can't cure it.....is this true? If I can't cure it, can I make it better?

4). I have coconut oil and have heard about how healing it is.....does anyone have any information about CO and things like IBS or Diverticulosis? If so, should I take it first thing in the morning so that my intestines are coated with it without any food getting in the way?

5). Anything else other than fiber that helps this situation?

Thank you for responding in advance. I find I have a new subject to research.

I don't want to do anything stupid. I think I have a healthy skepticism toward doctors/medicine. I listened to doctors for years telling me low fat was the way to go. Meanwhile my blood sugars soared(I'm not diabetic but my fasting numbers have always been around 100-103 with blood sugar dips during the day. Not anymore with LC). I believe in natural cures/herbs but also believe there is a time for medicine. Medicine helped keep my Mother alive but some medicine actually made permanent damage. So I think I am balanced in my approach.

If the research shows to have 25-35 gms of fiber a day....I'll do it. If studies show it makes it worse (which I haven't found any yet) I'll stay away. Like I said, I'm not out to prove a point here, I want to be healthy and take care of it.

I would love to go back 5-7 years from now and them tell me I've gotten better. Do you think I'm dreaming?

Thanks.
disgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I am interested in what answers people come up with.

Good luck with this
[/COLOR]
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbert
Doctors I know all agree fiber is essential to help prevent diverticulosis attacks. The last thing you want is to get constipated when you have diverticular disease. Metamucil or Benefiber are easy on the digestive system - I know someone who can't eat super high fiber cereal because it causes cramping - everyone is different in how much fiber and what type they can tolerate.

Usually after an attack you go low residue and low fiber and add the fiber back slowly. The diverticula will not disappear once you have them, as far as I know. It's quite common and many people have diverticula without ever having a problem. Popcorn, seeds and nuts are NOT recommended but doctors vary on this.

I'd see what your doctor recommends. Hope this helps.
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:48 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micatee
I found out a couple of years ago I had diverticulitus after a colonoscopy. (I had bleeding before that, so believe me I was RELIEVED TO GET THE DIAGNOSIS of diverticulitus!)

Watch when you eat nuts or seeds because that can cause a flare up. And when you get a flare up you will definitely know it! The cramping can be very severe.

Fiber is important because constipation can be literately a pain in the arse!

I use coconut oil daily, yet I don't notice any changes. I hope it does some good!

Drinking alot of water helps too.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert View Post
Doctors I know all agree fiber is essential to help prevent diverticulosis attacks. The last thing you want is to get constipated when you have diverticular disease. Metamucil or Benefiber are easy on the digestive system - I know someone who can't eat super high fiber cereal because it causes cramping - everyone is different in how much fiber and what type they can tolerate.

Usually after an attack you go low residue and low fiber and add the fiber back slowly. The diverticula will not disappear once you have them, as far as I know. It's quite common and many people have diverticula without ever having a problem. Popcorn, seeds and nuts are NOT recommended but doctors vary on this.

I'd see what your doctor recommends. Hope this helps.
THanks. Yes, I can't wait to talk to my other doc about it. He was the one that ordered the test because my iron was low and just wanted to check things out.

From what I have read, about 30% of all people over 40 have it but many don't know it because they never have symptoms (me). I guess it's more common than I thought. Also, genes have a little to do with it and my mom had it and my sister has it. My twin hasn't had a colonoscopy yet so she may have it also, who knows.

I've also read the seeds/nuts thing is bogus. Doctors are starting to change their minds about that stuff being bad. On this subject, I think it's best to go with what your body tells you. If you eat something and it bothers you, don't eat it. I haven't had any flare ups of any kind so I think I will still have nuts, though I don't even have them once a week. I haven't started on any berries yet but when I do, I'll probably stick with blueberries......are they better than the other ones?

I do find it interesting that they want you to go high fiber, but people that do that still have attacks and then when they do, what's the first thing they say to get rid of temporarily? Fiber. Doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm rarely constipated (I actually have a little of the opposite problem) but I am looking into taking something to make sure I keep moving and don't get constipated or loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micatee View Post
I found out a couple of years ago I had diverticulitus after a colonoscopy. (I had bleeding before that, so believe me I was RELIEVED TO GET THE DIAGNOSIS of diverticulitus!)

Watch when you eat nuts or seeds because that can cause a flare up. And when you get a flare up you will definitely know it! The cramping can be very severe.

Fiber is important because constipation can be literately a pain in the arse!

I use coconut oil daily, yet I don't notice any changes. I hope it does some good!

Drinking alot of water helps too.
Thank you. Yes, I agree, I could have had worse news. I was really glad I didn't have any polyps. What is so weird is that I would have never known I had this problem and yet, there it is. I'm glad I know though. Just proves it's good to play it safe and get the tests done. I'm only 44 and have no colon cancer in my family.....most people like me don't get tested. And actually, the doc and nurses were like, "why are we doing this again for you?".....I think they were surprised the test was ordered. But I'm all for preventative measures.

Have you gotten any flare ups since you started on the coconut oil?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlapHappy
Stats: 330/202/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: 12/07/98
Quote:
Popcorn, seeds and nuts are NOT recommended but doctors vary on this.
Any doctor who says this is one to avoid. As disgal indicates, there is no science to back this idea up and any doctor who repeats it is not up to date. In fact, seeds and nuts re often recommended because of their fiber content.
SlapHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Agee
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 6/28/14
I had a diverticulosis attack last year and the doctor told me it is caused from a typical American diet. And that chronic constipation due to lack of fiber is to blame.
I have been eating a mostly LC diet for the past 10 years.
I have been eating gluten free for 5 years.
Until I started doing what the GI docs said to do, I had never been constipated - like you, I have this issue:
Quote:
I'm rarely constipated (I actually have a little of the opposite problem) but I am looking into taking something to make sure I keep moving and don't get constipated or loose.
I asked could undiagnosed gluten intolerance/diarrhea have caused it. They said no. They told me to take fiber supplements, which caused me to become constipated.
I have very little confidence in the advice to take fiber - so after about 2 months of bloat, discomfort, gas, and the first bouts of constipation in my life - I quit the fiber and I haven't looked back.
Just my $.02.
A
Old 03-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondmom
Stats: 178/158/138
WOE: no particular diet-just low carb
Don't want to alarm you, but my husband found out about diverticulosis in a much different way--his colon ruptured due to one of the places causing a weak spot!

Be sure to do what your doctor tells you about diet. My husband had to have several feet of his colon removed and was in really bad shape for a 6 month period of time--he set up infection from the gut leakage.

That was 15 years ago--he has had no flare ups or problems since then because he changed his diet. No seeds of any type, no strawberries, no corn, no other type of non-digestible foods. He does occasionally eat walnuts, but makes sure he limits the amounts eaten. He takes Metamucil daily and that really seems to help him. High fiber is the most helpful thing you can do for this problem.

Believe it or not, one of his doctors told him not to eat black pepper-apparently it is non digestible and collects in the diverticuli pockets.

The problem is food that remains too long in the colon. Those pockets are there just waiting for something to linger.

At least you found out about it before it became a bigger problem--believe me , you don't want to go thru what my husband went thru! I almost lost him--just because he thought he was constipated and that's why his stomach was hurting!
Blondmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agee View Post
I had a diverticulosis attack last year and the doctor told me it is caused from a typical American diet. And that chronic constipation due to lack of fiber is to blame.
I have been eating a mostly LC diet for the past 10 years.
I have been eating gluten free for 5 years.
Until I started doing what the GI docs said to do, I had never been constipated - like you, I have this issue:

I asked could undiagnosed gluten intolerance/diarrhea have caused it. They said no. They told me to take fiber supplements, which caused me to become constipated.
I have very little confidence in the advice to take fiber - so after about 2 months of bloat, discomfort, gas, and the first bouts of constipation in my life - I quit the fiber and I haven't looked back.
Just my $.02.
A
interesting. As long as I stay away from lots of carbs, I don't get gassy even when taking fiber. But I haven't been good about taking it DAILY so maybe that's why? Don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondmom View Post
Don't want to alarm you, but my husband found out about diverticulosis in a much different way--his colon ruptured due to one of the places causing a weak spot!

Be sure to do what your doctor tells you about diet. My husband had to have several feet of his colon removed and was in really bad shape for a 6 month period of time--he set up infection from the gut leakage.

That was 15 years ago--he has had no flare ups or problems since then because he changed his diet. No seeds of any type, no strawberries, no corn, no other type of non-digestible foods. He does occasionally eat walnuts, but makes sure he limits the amounts eaten. He takes Metamucil daily and that really seems to help him. High fiber is the most helpful thing you can do for this problem.

Believe it or not, one of his doctors told him not to eat black pepper-apparently it is non digestible and collects in the diverticuli pockets.

The problem is food that remains too long in the colon. Those pockets are there just waiting for something to linger.

At least you found out about it before it became a bigger problem--believe me , you don't want to go thru what my husband went thru! I almost lost him--just because he thought he was constipated and that's why his stomach was hurting!
Oh, Blondmom.....that's terrible. Oh, I don't wish that on anyone. I'm so glad he is ok. This is why I really want to take it seriously. I've read what can happen and don't want to turn a blind eye to it. Thank you for telling me that.

Black peppercorns?? Say it ain't so! I love me some fresh ground black pepper. Actually, I love hot/spicy foods and I always thought they were good for you (I have read many times about cayenne pepper and it's healing properties) but some of the reading I've been doing for hemorrhoids and diverticular disease says otherwise.

It's all so confusing I could scream!

Question: If certain foods end up in those pockets, and that's a bad thing, what keeps the fiber from entering those pockets and not creating a problem?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
I am having issues myself. I had an appointment with a specailist Tuesday. I am scheduled for a colonascophy(sp) April 16th.
I did not mention my Woe ,because so far it gets blamed for my issues (my sister is the wordst ). WHICH I KNOW IT IS NOT !!! I eat plenty veggies and take extra fiber in my diet. Without over doing .
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Agee
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 6/28/14
Quote:
what keeps the fiber from entering those pockets and not creating a problem?
This is what I think has done it for me: plenty of fat.
A
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlou View Post
I am having issues myself. I had an appointment with a specailist Tuesday. I am scheduled for a colonascophy(sp) April 16th.
I did not mention my Woe ,because so far it gets blamed for my issues (my sister is the wordst ). WHICH I KNOW IT IS NOT !!! I eat plenty veggies and take extra fiber in my diet. Without over doing .
I know just what you mean. And I have been on and off (mostly off) of LC for years. This is the first time I've had two months together that I've done it. Before the furthest I got was two weeks. Embarrassing to say the least for my LC testimony but in no way could LC be blamed for this.

Now, even when I didn't eat LC, I'm sure I wasn't getting enough fiber so that could still be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agee View Post
This is what I think has done it for me: plenty of fat.
A
I do get tons of fat. And good saturated fat from butter, coconut oil....some mono fat from olive oil. Eat salmon every week. I'm trying to decide what omega's to take. I have thyroid issues and I stay away from soy products so I'm a little confused at to what is best for me.....flax? fishoil? something else?

I only started this higher fat diet in Jan. and days I don't have CO I do notice my stool is harder. I think I need to give up a lot of the cheese. (I think my life may be over just kidding)
Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennia
Balance is good

Hi. From someone who has been through the journey you are talking about, I agree that you need to balance what your doctor says and what people who have also experienced it say works. I have had three hospitalizations for diverticulitis flare-ups and needed morphine for the pain until after several days, the infection abated via intervenious antibiotics. With the next flare-up, I had another colonoscopy, which showed the need for surgery. I had the worst of the diverticuli removed and this included a bowel resection. My doctor told me not to eat anything which doesn't easily digest, such as seeds, nuts, popcorn, corn, beans and peas. Then, my nurse said they were taught not to worry about those things; just make sure you have a good bowel movement and drink lots of water. So, when out at a restaurant, if anything comes with poppy or sesame seeds, I ask for an alternative. I take a fiber additive - Walmart makes a cheaper brand, which works just as well as Benefiber - everyday in my tea. And, I keep my appointments for an updated colonoscopy when my doctor says it's time. Otherwise, please be sure to drink enough fluids to not get constipated while taking the extra fiber. Dieting and exercise should just serve to keep your all-around health good. Common sense also serves you well, once you have learned all you can about this disease. You CAN live with it, if you adapt yourself to eating the right foods and staying healthy. My best wishes for that happy, healthy life.
Jennia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapHappy View Post
Any doctor who says this is one to avoid. As disgal indicates, there is no science to back this idea up and any doctor who repeats it is not up to date. In fact, seeds and nuts re often recommended because of their fiber content.
Do you actually have this disease? If you do, and you eat these things, you are extremely lucky to not have had an attack that put in the hospital.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Well, the nurse called today with all the followup questions. She was funny.

We talked for a while and she actually brought up the subject about nuts/seeds. She said they used to think it caused attacks but doctors don't think that anymore.

I told her there was someone on a message board that said if your doctor says to stay away from that type of food, you should get a new doctor. She said, "yes, that's right". BUT, we both agreed, that if you eat something and you have pain, then stay away from it.

I guess like a lot of things, it's Your Mileage May Vary? I tell ya, I didn't think I could learn anything else new, but here I go. I swear I'm gonna have another degree when this is all over.

I'm investigating magnesium. Don't know what kind to take so I posted another thread but on the General health board.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceandiva
Stats: 294/212/180
WOE: Atkins-gluten free
Start Date: May 2008
Disgal, thanks for the message. This is a complicated issue for there are so many varied ways doctors approach this problem. I'll share a little of my own journey to see if it helps anyone. Eight years ago I had severe abdominal pain and thought it was another kidney stone. My son took to the emergency room where all kinds of tests were taken including a CAT scan and kidney test. No stones-good news for I had several before with infections. But there was two bits of troubling news. First, the emergency room doctor saw what he thought was lymphoma and it turned out after more tests that he was right.

The other, which at the time was more severe, was diverticulosis which involved infection and inflammation that shut down of my colon. I was put on Cipro immediately, told to see my doc and told not to eat foods with fiber. My doc and I worked together to save my colon. She upped the Cipro, put me on pain medication, told to take oil of peppermint before eating anything. She also told me to eat only white food without fiber and grains. We also decided that eating pre-digested green food would be okay for my nutrition needs. I started on Garden of Life green tablets. I ate eggs, mashed potatoes, tapioca pudding, yogurt, Kieffer, white chicken soup, vanilla ice cream. Lots and lots of water. Slowly the infection cured and the inflammation calmed. It took two years for me to eat any raw food. I also had a colonoscopy in which several large polyps were removed. All of the above saved my colon. I can now eat vegetables but not too much salad-just too hard to digest.
I know that the diverticula will never go away but they don't bother me now even though I eat a lot of nuts. I've stayed on the green food pills. In the meantime I had to see an oncologist and get biopsied. I live with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and have had chemo twice. Now I'm receive a maintenance dose of a new drug. I feel great! Eating LC has helped me keep the inflammation in my body to a undetectable state. I don't eat sugar for LCing and to prevent the cancer from growing. I don't eat grains to keep my intestines happy. When I look back 8 years and remember how much fear and pain I was experiencing, I am grateful to god for helping me have the to strength to change my eating and the doctors to guide me. I also am appreciative of my healers--acupuncture, cranial sacral, massage and light energy work etc. Medicine, spirit and new behavior have given me a pain free state and a belief in a long life.

So, should you worry about diverticulitis? I would say be careful and conscious. If you eat foods that bothers your system or causes inflammation because they are toxic to you, you might get the infection. LC eating, I believe, supports intestinal health. Best of luck in discovering what works for you.
oceandiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

OceanDiva, I can't thank you enough for posting. I "found" you and so wanted to hear more of your story.

First off, Praise God you are ok. holy cow, you have gone through a lot! Your attitude, your spirit.......you are a fantastic example to us all!! I really mean it.

And thank you so much for the info. I still find it interesting that fiber hurts some people and that when you have an attack, it NOT a good thing to have.

I'm thinking........and this could be dangerous....... that the main reason that docs say, fiber, fiber, fiber is only because of the constipation issue. If something else works, like Magnesium, herbs,etc, at making you not constipated, that's what's important. Don't get constipated! If I need to increase the veggies (with are filled with water and more nutrients than just fiber), take supplements and that's what works, then I believe that is key, right?

The goal is to not get constipated, right? Is that what you guys think? And some doctors just think the only way to do it is fiber. And that might be ok and I did take some fiber pills yesterday. I took Mag. today.

But again, thank you for taking the time to post and I'm so thankful you are doing ok.....actually you sound great! That is so awesome. And thank God for those doctors.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlapHappy
Stats: 330/202/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: 12/07/98
Quote:
Do you actually have this disease? If you do, and you eat these things, you are extremely lucky to not have had an attack that put in the hospital.
Yes, I do and I have *never* had an issue with these. There is also not a single study that has ever found a causal relationship between nuts and seeds and an attack.
SlapHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #19
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
oceandiva bless your heart. You've been through so much.

I have diverticulosis and rarely have any problems at all. I eat nuts regularly. I know the problem spot, so if I get any twinges there, I know what to do. Constipation is rarely a problem. I wonder if the runs goes hand in hand with diverticulosis.
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Meowser
Stats: 164/150/150
WOE: Lower carb & "Eating clean"
Start Date: 1/31/14
I was hospitalized with diverticulitis in July 2007. Since then I have been trying to figure out how to eat and what affects me. In the days leading up to my attack, I was eating sliced almonds daily. I was also drinking a lot of Diet Pepsi (3-20oz bottles daily).

This is what I find for me:
* It is hard for me to up my fiber without irritating my diverticulosis.
* I CANNOT eat nuts, seeds, or corn in any form. Sesame seeds and tortilla chips have caused falre ups for me. You will find communities of dicerticulosis sufferers online where many (but not all) people report problems with nuts, seeds, and corn.
* Stress is my biggest trigger.
* Travel is a big trigger for me. I generally move to a low fiber diet while I travel.
* When I have a flare up, I drop down to a low fiber diet. If it's a bad enough flare up, I move to a clear, liquid diet and then work my way to through low fiber to a more high fiber diet.
* I suspect that both aspertame and hot sauce (or buffalo wings) are triggers for me.
* I supplement with magnesium to help prevent constipation.

That is for me. If I were in your shoes - diagnosed with diverticulosis through a colonoscopy with no symptoms - I would eat a high fiber diet, get some exercise, and manage my stress. If you expereince lower-left abdominal pain and a fever get to a doctor as soon as possible. Many, many people have diverticulosis with no symptoms and never have a problem.

Here's a link to a thread in the Health forum where several of us have been discussing diverticulosis: Living with diverticulosis
Old 03-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicsmom View Post
oceandiva bless your heart. You've been through so much.

I have diverticulosis and rarely have any problems at all. I eat nuts regularly. I know the problem spot, so if I get any twinges there, I know what to do. Constipation is rarely a problem. I wonder if the runs goes hand in hand with diverticulosis.
I didn't know you had it Magicsmom. How were you diagnosed, if I may ask? What do you do for that spot...message?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowser View Post
I was hospitalized with diverticulitis in July 2007. Since then I have been trying to figure out how to eat and what affects me. In the days leading up to my attack, I was eating sliced almonds daily. I was also drinking a lot of Diet Pepsi (3-20oz bottles daily).

This is what I find for me:
* It is hard for me to up my fiber without irritating my diverticulosis.
* I CANNOT eat nuts, seeds, or corn in any form. Sesame seeds and tortilla chips have caused falre ups for me. You will find communities of dicerticulosis sufferers online where many (but not all) people report problems with nuts, seeds, and corn.
* Stress is my biggest trigger.
* Travel is a big trigger for me. I generally move to a low fiber diet while I travel.
* When I have a flare up, I drop down to a low fiber diet. If it's a bad enough flare up, I move to a clear, liquid diet and then work my way to through low fiber to a more high fiber diet.
* I suspect that both aspertame and hot sauce (or buffalo wings) are triggers for me.
* I supplement with magnesium to help prevent constipation.

That is for me. If I were in your shoes - diagnosed with diverticulosis through a colonoscopy with no symptoms - I would eat a high fiber diet, get some exercise, and manage my stress. If you expereince lower-left abdominal pain and a fever get to a doctor as soon as possible. Many, many people have diverticulosis with no symptoms and never have a problem.

Here's a link to a thread in the Health forum where several of us have been discussing diverticulosis: Living with diverticulosis
Thank you Meowser. I wonder is aspertame is a cause also. In the past I have had an embarrassingly large amount of diet soda and I'm not talking Diet rite.

Thanks for the website(er,thread ). I'll definitely check that out.

Magnesium also sounds like the way to go.

But hot wing sauce!? Oh, I hope that doesn't happen. But I guess I could give them up if I had to.

Last edited by disgal; 03-13-2009 at 06:45 PM..
Old 03-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgal View Post

But hot wing sauce!? Oh, I hope that doesn't happen. But I guess I could give them up if I had to.

I'm in denial about that one! I may suspect it's a problem, but I have done anything about it. Still eating lots of wings!
Meowser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowser View Post

I'm in denial about that one! I may suspect it's a problem, but I have done anything about it. Still eating lots of wings!
I'm reading that thread.....wow, very interesting stuff. I just got to Fawn's post......

If I may jump in here, I have 2 diverticulosis/itis clients I'm working with currently. High fiber is constantly pushed for you poor folks and I have to say I disagree with this protocol. Healing the affected area is a good start and this can take a very long time as I'm sure you are both aware. The ACV is a great start as it is a soft tissue healer. As well, are you both on L-Glutamine? 3000mg. a day is a good idea, as well, slippery elm bark to re-build that mucosal membrane (4 tablets as tea or taken with warm water 3x daily). Coconut oil is very healing too and since it's an anti-microbial, it keeps the flare ups at bay. I would completely steer clear of veggie oils and this is what you may be experiencing with the buffalo wings. Vegetable oils cause the cell wall harm and compromise the cell wall integrity inviting disease. It wreaks havoc really. Some even speculate it is a leading cause of cancer. this is your soybean, safflower, sunflower, canola and corn oils. The buffalos wings if not prepared by you more than likely have been cooked in or have been marinated in soybean oils.

nurturing foods, bone broths, higher fat, and squash are all nice diver foods.

I wish both of you well.

Fawn, thank you for this even though you didn't even know I would be reading it. I am going to take your advice and do what you suggest.

I didn't see that thread on that board until you mentioned it, Meowser. I guess my searches weren't good enough. bllewwww.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Duh! I forgot to ask something Fawn....if you see this.

Here's a thread about some oil that I found.....

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...l#post11695560

what do you think? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapHappy View Post
Yes, I do and I have *never* had an issue with these. There is also not a single study that has ever found a causal relationship between nuts and seeds and an attack.
Like I said, you are extremely lucky to not have gotten an attack from these things. If it works for you, by all means...indulge. But, that doesn't mean it works for ALL diver patients and I wouldn't dismiss the firsthand accounts of those who have eaten some of these things and then found themselves with a painful case of diverticulitis.

Diet is very tricky with diver. Some people can't handle certain foods, some can't handle certain types of fiber.

I wouldn't go near popcorn but maybe there is a diver patient who can eat it without a problem but I haven't met one yet. There are plenty of diver patients who eat lettuce...I can't touch it. Everyone has to find what diet works best for them. I do think the LC diet is helpful.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Meowser- I was curious about the tortilla chips...I don't eat them myself but I have eaten potato chips...no problem. Do you think the tortilla chip was grainy?

I had what I think is called spasitic diverticulitis for the first time with a multigrain product and I usually avoid anything multigrain.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Meowser- I was curious about the tortilla chips...I don't eat them myself but I have eaten potato chips...no problem. Do you think the tortilla chip was grainy?

I had what I think is called spasitic diverticulitis for the first time with a multigrain product and I usually avoid anything multigrain.
Tortilla chips are made from corn. And not very finely ground. Also, I really need to test the tortilla chips again, because that flare up happened less than a week after I returned from a trip - and travel is a big stressor for me. But for now, I choose to avoid tortilla chips.

I'm trying to figure out if lettuce is bothering me. It seems to be, but I was fine with it for at least a year following my hospitalization. What changed for me? Or is it something else? Arrgh! Confusing. I wish it were simple...
Old 03-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Meowse- Before I had my first attack I could eat salad. Now I can't. Usually I can trace a flareup to a food eaten over a certain period of time.

I don't know what changes once you have an attack but something does, I believe.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmmm... it wasn't until this thread that I realized how inconsistent I am. I avoid any and all corn including cornmeal and things made from cornmeal. But I eat smooth nut butters (natural peanut butter and almond butter) and I haven't had a problem with them. I guess it just goes to show that you have to find what works for you...
Old 03-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aprilb
My husband had a horrible attack last Aug and we went to the emergency room and was told it was divers and sent home with 2 prescriptions and it took a few days before he started feeling better and he went right back to eating "normally' and 2 weeks later he was much worse and back in the hospital. This time he was admitted and monitored and tested over and over again for 8 days. They said he had perferations but could not decide to operate or not. Well the 6th day he was in the hospital his work called to let him know that his company was closing its doors as of that moment. So we did not have any insurance they said in four days. My husband was feeling better and the Dr's kept saying they would just have to wait and see and we could not do that so my dh checked himself out of the hospital. And I went online to see what we needed to do. He did not eat much at all for a few month, only boiled chicken , salmon, raman noodles, and oatmeal. Since we had not meds we went natural and he took Omega 3 3 X a day, a tea of slippery elm mixed with ginger,pepperment, mashmallow capsules 3X a day, garlic, EmergenC x3, Aloe Vera juice 1/2 c 3x a day, liquid pribiotics x 3 a day and Vit A. It has been almost 8 months and he is still watching what he eats and does not eat red meat and eats a lot of simple food and take the tea, vit a, Vit C, garlic, priobiotics and has lost a lot of weight and feels great. He started a new job the end of Sept.

Thought I would pass along to help someone else.

April

Last edited by aprilb; 03-20-2009 at 09:26 AM..
aprilb is offline   Reply With Quote