Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heatherdazy
Stats: highest ever: 214 (2004) this time:164/159/105
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDDD
Start Date: Switch from Atkins to JUDDDD April 5
I was going to suggest the koolaid thing, too.

Though I don't like it quite as strong/sweet as when I was a kid...
heatherdazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
DH likes this too. His favorite is lime. For myself, I make homemade lemonade and limeade.
Hey fawn, how do you make your homeade lemonade and limeade?
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShesSuperCool
Stats: My goal was to start taking care of myself.
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 14, 2011
I like Arizona tea, peach flavor. It comes in a cylinder with I think six little cups of powder you add to a gallon of tea. It says to use two cups but I like it better with just one.
ShesSuperCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #34
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I am not a fan of drink mixes. I don't trust chemical companies and corporations to do the right thing by consumers, especially in terms of beverages. I'd go for iced tea. I bought an iced tea maker from Wal-Mart and have gotten well beyond the $19.99 I paid for it in quality beverage.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porkfatrules
Stats: 223/183.5/110
WOE: HCG R3
Start Date: Re-re-re-start 5/8/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I am not a fan of drink mixes. I don't trust chemical companies and corporations to do the right thing by consumers, especially in terms of beverages. I'd go for iced tea. I bought an iced tea maker from Wal-Mart and have gotten well beyond the $19.99 I paid for it in quality beverage.
I'm with you on the iced tea thing -- I bought the Mr. Coffee iced tea maker about ten years ago, and have brewed about 100,000 pots of tea! The best, best tea ever for making iced tea, IMO, is the Luzianne brand -- you can get the family-sized tea bags, so you only need to toss one bag in to make a whole pitcher. Delicious! In the summer, I go through one pitcher a day.
porkfatrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Keribaja
I love Luzianne ice tea

but I cant get it here in Baja except at my favorite restaurant. They have it imported. Where can I get it in Calif.k
Keribaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porkfatrules
Stats: 223/183.5/110
WOE: HCG R3
Start Date: Re-re-re-start 5/8/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keribaja View Post
but I cant get it here in Baja except at my favorite restaurant. They have it imported. Where can I get it in Calif.k
My BIL in St. Louis got me into it -- but I can't get it here either on the east coast. I order it from their website -- I get big boxes of regular and caffeine-free.
porkfatrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thisisrightnow
Stats: 240/178.6/150, 5'6", 28
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 5/10/07 (generic LC/SB), 7/19/09 (Atkins)
I really don't know who makes them, but my mom drinks this kind of flavored water that is sweetened with Splenda. The packets themselves are liquid and not powder though. But you can make gallons with the packets or individual servings. It's pretty good. I really like the watermelon and the strawberry kiwi. They also have grape and some kind of mixed berry. They're found at Kroger's.
thisisrightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
Start Date: May 2007
I ran across this one in my DIY files.. I'm thinking of trying this with Stevia...

I think I found this at BH&G.

Make Homemade Single Serving Drink Packs

At my house, we enjoy drinking Crystal Light®, Kool-Aid® and plenty of Lipton® Iced Tea. We like to take our favorite drinks when we're away from home, but buying the "on the go" individual packets or single bottles of beverages is pricey. The answer? Make your own! Just cut a plastic drinking straw in half or in thirds, depending on how big each individual container needs to be. Fold over one end of each section and tape it in place. Then, use a kitchen funnel that has a small spout to fill each section with your favorite dry drink mix. The amount will vary, depending on your individual tastes. Finally, fold the top over and seal it shut with transparent tape.

When you're away from home, all you need is a bottle, some water and a single serving pack, and you can still enjoy your favorite drinks economically!

Use sugar free Kool-Aid and the Powdered Sweetner of your choice to make the mix.

Re-starting Meat and Egg Fast :1/13/14

Size:18/20* 14/16* 10/ 11/12 * 9/10 * 8/9* 7/8
I have no idea what I weigh.

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try."
Alexander the Great
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamthebadger
Stats: 170/164/145
Start Date: 3-2-11
You can take unsweetened Kool-Aid and add whatever sweetener you like. And you can water it down or add soda water for fizz I suppose.
iamthebadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #41

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
Hey fawn, how do you make your homeade lemonade and limeade?
I squeeze lemons or limes in filtered water and add ice and stevia......I also like to add just a small amount of rind for more taste. I just picked up some organic lemon juice from Italy yesterday that is really good.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #42

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
I squeeze lemons or limes in filtered water and add ice and stevia......I also like to add just a small amount of rind for more taste. I just picked up some organic lemon juice from Italy yesterday that is really good.
Thanks fawn. That's what I do too. Wow, that lemon juice sounds delicious!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #43

Yeah, I found it at Costco and since a friend works there, he clued me in that the little asterick * on the price sign means "discontinued" I bought 5-750ml bottles at $3.99ea.....I can probably find it at World Market too......I figured out why and was irritated it was discontinued because sitting right next to it for $6, 2 bottles of "Real Lemon" which was from concentrate and had sodium benzoate a dangerous preservative.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: foodessentials
List of Aspartame Free Drink Mixes

Here's a list of Aspartame containing Drink Mixes:

Food Essentials BETA - Compare Nutritional Food Values - List of "Powdered Drink - Mixed Fruit Flavor containing Aspartame"

It actually has a list of drink mixes containing and not containing Aspartame.

Very useful. You can also search for other foods such as try "aspartame containing yogurt" etc..
foodessentials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #45
JBo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JBo
Stats: 230/179/160
WOE: ZC
I always keep a supply of dehydrated water near the sink. Just add ice and cold water and the "instant" water to rehydrate. Deelissh!!
JBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodessentials View Post
Here's a list of Aspartame containing Drink Mixes:

Food Essentials BETA - Compare Nutritional Food Values - List of "Powdered Drink - Mixed Fruit Flavor containing Aspartame"

It actually has a list of drink mixes containing and not containing Aspartame.

Very useful. You can also search for other foods such as try "aspartame containing yogurt" etc..
Interesting site, thank you. Are you the author?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyone
Stats: 166.6/151.8/135 -5'4"
Start Date: restart 11/31/13
i had a question about the kool aid. Is the sugar-free koolaid the same as the unsweetened kool aid? I noticed that the sugar free one had aspartame in it.
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 AM   #48
Purgatory escapee

Gallery: DeltaSierra
Stats: Too much/Still too much/Perfect
Wal-mart's store-brand juice singles (in the same area as the crystal light) are made with sucralose. I love the orange, lime, pink lemonade, and iced tea.
DeltaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:26 AM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Foodessentials

Quote:
Interesting site, thank you. Are you the author?
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am the CEO of Foodessentials.

We've not yet officially launched as we are still in beta testing and so i'm scanning about trying to find people who may find the tool relevant to have a go and let us know what they think.

To give you a quick overview, at foodessentials you can search and compare foods for ingriedient, additive, allergen and nutrient properties so that you can find the foods that better suit your particular dietary requirements.

i.e. you can find Aspartame free, HFCS free, Gluten free, peanut free, highest fiber, lowest fat, lowest sodium foods. etc.

If, by any chance you manage to try it out and can let us know what you think we'd really appreciate it. (The area we're having the most trouble with is the search results page)

Otherwise, if there's any other information I can help you with (similar to the Aspartame Containing Drink Mixes list - posted again below), please feel free to contact me directly and I will do my best to help.

best regards,

Anton Xavier
axavier@foodessentials.com

Aspartame Containing Diet Soda

Aspartame Containing Powdered Drink

Vanilla Yogurt Containing Aspartame
Old 03-25-2009, 07:10 AM   #50
something there

When the chart says, "Aspartame presence not listed" does that infer it's hidden? If it's not meant to infer that it is a hidden ingredient, you might want to remove the product or use clearer language, like "No aspartame".
Old 03-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiveLaughLove
WOE: Low Carb - My Way
Start Date: Everyday
Arizona - Lemon Iced Tea Powder Mix. Sugar Free Iced Tea Mix with zero calories. 100%Natural Tea. Sweetened with Splenda! Natural ANTIOX Antioxidant!

I got most of that from a website selling it - but I buy it at Wegman's and it's really good.
LiveLaughLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #52

Anton, I would be happy to spend some time on your site later today.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #53
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lalala
Stats: 183/127/135 at 5'8"
WOE: the foods i love!! :P
Start Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Yeah, I found it at Costco and since a friend works there, he clued me in that the little asterick * on the price sign means "discontinued" I bought 5-750ml bottles at $3.99ea.....I can probably find it at World Market too......I figured out why and was irritated it was discontinued because sitting right next to it for $6, 2 bottles of "Real Lemon" which was from concentrate and had sodium benzoate a dangerous preservative.

I followed your lead and purchased this same organic lemon juice from costco today. I plan on making some lemonade with it as well, but I'm just wondering what proportions of water:lemon juice: sweetner you use. Thanks.
lalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am the CEO of Foodessentials.

We've not yet officially launched as we are still in beta testing and so i'm scanning about trying to find people who may find the tool relevant to have a go and let us know what they think.

To give you a quick overview, at foodessentials you can search and compare foods for ingriedient, additive, allergen and nutrient properties so that you can find the foods that better suit your particular dietary requirements.

i.e. you can find Aspartame free, HFCS free, Gluten free, peanut free, highest fiber, lowest fat, lowest sodium foods. etc.

If, by any chance you manage to try it out and can let us know what you think we'd really appreciate it. (The area we're having the most trouble with is the search results page)

Otherwise, if there's any other information I can help you with (similar to the Aspartame Containing Drink Mixes list - posted again below), please feel free to contact me directly and I will do my best to help.

best regards,

Anton Xavier
axavier@foodessentials.com

Aspartame Containing Diet Soda

Aspartame Containing Powdered Drink

Vanilla Yogurt Containing Aspartame
Hi, Anton-- when you launch your site, may I link my blog to it?
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
When the chart says, "Aspartame presence not listed" does that infer it's hidden? If it's not meant to infer that it is a hidden ingredient, you might want to remove the product or use clearer language, like "No aspartame".
This is a good point. Presence is not listed means that of the ingredients listed in the ingredients panel non of them are aspartame or contain aspartame in them.

you are right that that it's not that clear. i will bring it up with the team. We used to not list the "...presence not listed" items in lists like this but got a lot of feedback from people who wannted to see both the positive and negative products together. However, maybe in the future we can have a feature to remove the products you don't want to see.

We just launched a new development that now instead of just saying "Presence is listed" it actual lists the ingredients that are relative. This is really important for those with allergies as this helps them to see which ingredient it is that is positive for a specific condition.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

(sorry for rtaking so long to reply...butt i don't know how to get updates by email from this forum yet.)

Anton Xavier
Old 03-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much. it is greatly appreciated. you can let us know what you think at info@foodessentials.com or twitter foodessentials
Old 03-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Kool-Aid unsweetened v's sugar free

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyone View Post
i had a question about the kool aid. Is the sugar-free koolaid the same as the unsweetened kool aid? I noticed that the sugar free one had aspartame in it.
Happyone, that is in fact a really great question.

It appears that the unsweetened Kool-Aid has no HFCS no sweeteners and no sugar...so you would add your own sugar to taste.

Whereas the Sugar-Free kool-aid has no sugar but is still sweet as it has HFCS to sweeten.

I hope that helps. let me know if you have any other questions.

best regards,
Anton Xavier
Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Sure, in fact, this Friday we're launching our Foodessentials List Widget, which will allow you to put simplified lists just like the Aspartame free list in your blog posts.

This is great for two reasons:

1. you can now have really great content in your blog and write insightful and exposing posts with this great data.

2. and it will automatically link from our site to your site (although this functionality will come next week)

So, that's an easy way we can link. If you want more information please feel free to contact me.

thanks for your note.

Anton Xavier
Old 03-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
In fact we launched the widget already. If you go to a comparison page such as the link below then you click the "get widget" link and it will give you the code to put on your site. Feel free to put tables of any kind of data in your posts!! enjoy...I look forward to seeing how you use it.

Diet Soda containing Aspartame

Anton Xavier

Last edited by foodessentials; 03-26-2009 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: made a mistake
Old 03-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #60
something there

Quote:
This is a good point. Presence is not listed means that of the ingredients listed in the ingredients panel non of them are aspartame or contain aspartame in them.

you are right that that it's not that clear. i will bring it up with the team. We used to not list the "...presence not listed" items in lists like this but got a lot of feedback from people who wannted to see both the positive and negative products together. However, maybe in the future we can have a feature to remove the products you don't want to see.

We just launched a new development that now instead of just saying "Presence is listed" it actual lists the ingredients that are relative. This is really important for those with allergies as this helps them to see which ingredient it is that is positive for a specific condition.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

(sorry for rtaking so long to reply...butt i don't know how to get updates by email from this forum yet.)

Anton Xavier
Thanks for being amenable! I read things very literally, and appreciate your response. I love your site and feel it will be a very helpful tool to people who wish to educate themselves and to eat healthfully.