Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: misz_nk
Stats: [5'10] *243/193/180*
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/26/09
Oil in Urine??

This may be a little TMI..

but occasionally when I urinate, I see an oil-like substance floating around in the toilet. It's like a light sheen looking oil, not too heavy... but definitely noticeable in the right light.

Is this fat??

I'm confused =/
misz_nk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rls1321
Stats: 58.6 LOST!! 5'9" - 25 yrs old
WOE: Atkins ('97)
Start Date: 1/3/09
I've read that other people experience this on low-carb - I would assume it's excess fat being passed but I'm sure someone who has facts will respond
rls1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilikecarbs
Stats: 213.4/less than 213.4/190
WOE: Low Carb
I would love to know this too, as I have seen many times myself...anyone have info on this??
ilikecarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
I'm interested too.... I've seen some oily looking bubbles.....
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
It's not oil. It is normal to have a certain amount of what appears to be an oily residue in your urine, particularly if you let the urine sit for an extended period of time. If the amount appears to be substantial, or if your urine is also milky in color, you should be seen by your doctor.Technically the oily substance is caused by chyle which is produced by the lymph nodes and is made up of mostly fats & proteins. (composed mostly of fat and proteins).
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: misz_nk
Stats: [5'10] *243/193/180*
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/26/09
Its been all day today. I only notice it sometimes.

My friend told me that it was fat .. idk =/
misz_nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #7

Just Google it and do a search here at LCF-there have been numerous threads-you are not leaking fat.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jade123
SIGNIFICANCE OF KETONES IN DIET PROGRAMS

The presence of elevated levels of ketones in human urine is a primary indicator that the body is in ketosis. Ketosis simply means that the body's stored fat cells are being utilized as a primary fuel source to produce energy. The by products of fat metabolism are ketones. Ketones are not stored by the body and are eliminated as detectable waste products in urine. Therefore, monitoring the level of ketones is presumptive of, and directly correlated to the metabolizing, or burning of stored fat cells to produce energy. Likewise the conclusion can be drawn that the higher the concentration of ketones in urine, the higher is the amount of fat cells metabolized by the body. Ketone test strips are used routinely to help measure the progress of dieters especially those maintaining a low carbohydrate diet. Additionally, ketones are monitored in individuals with Type 1 diabetes. In diabetics, high ketone levels indicate ketoacidosis, a complication of inadequate insulin levels that can lead to diabetic coma. In overall health considerations, high ketone levels are generally an indication of abnormal nutritional conditions, including starvation, fasting, anorexia, high protein or low carbohydrate diets.

Ketones in the urine are what produce that oily like substance.

Last edited by jade123; 07-26-2011 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: more info
jade123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
I get the pools of oil when I eat cashews. Found that somewhere in my readings. Stopped eating them and the oil stopped.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade123 View Post
The presence of elevated levels of ketones in human urine is a primary indicator that the body is in ketosis. Ketosis simply means that the body's stored fat cells are being utilized as a primary fuel source to produce energy. The by products of fat metabolism are ketones. Ketones are not stored by the body and are eliminated as detectable waste products in urine. Therefore, monitoring the level of ketones is presumptive of, and directly correlated to the metabolizing, or burning of stored fat cells to produce energy. Likewise the conclusion can be drawn that the higher the concentration of ketones in urine, the higher is the amount of fat cells metabolized by the body. Ketone test strips are used routinely to help measure the progress of dieters especially those maintaining a low carbohydrate diet. Additionally, ketones are monitored in individuals with Type 1 diabetes. In diabetics, high ketone levels indicate ketoacidosis, a complication of inadequate insulin levels that can lead to diabetic coma. In overall health considerations, high ketone levels are generally an indication of abnormal nutritional conditions, including starvation, fasting, anorexia, high protein or low carbohydrate diets.

Ketones in the urine are what produce that oily like substance.

This is incorrect it is chyle in the urine-perfectly natural.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Here's an old ketosis and urine thread to enjoy:
Girls with stinky Ketosis pee..

All I know is when I'm losing weight well ... there's a bit of rainbow shimmer especially first pee of the morning.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lwcrbldy
Stats: 5'1", 34yrs: 135/117/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 2/2013
Not sure about it being chyle or some form of chyluria, the urine is usually, and literally, milk-colored when it comes to severe cases of chyluria...not sure about oily. But I'm not qualified to say yay or nay on the whole chyle issue. The rainbow sheen seems common for lowcarbers and natural as Lisabinil said. Cashews and pecans often do this to me but I just considered it was due to the high fat content of these nuts, when I don't eat them I don't have this.

If you aren't in any pain, if you aren't experiencing hematuria (blood in the urine) with cloudy urine, and have no fever and you generally feel pretty good healthwise, I'd say it's just a normal bodily function of some sort causing it. Otherwise, and if you do have these symptoms, I would go have it tested to make sure you don't have a UTI or some other disorder. Fyi, you can have a uti even without these symptoms, but generally you feel some sort of obscure malaise or fatigue instead. With chyluria, your pee looks like milk, its often mixed with some blood- chyluria is a blockage disorder involving lymph and renal tubes and a transient attack can occur during or after a period of great physical/emotional stress, or more chronically after you've been infected with a particular type of parasitic nematode that causes the renal/lymph blockage.

I would first reduce your fat levels for a day, see if that makes a difference with the appearance of the rainbow sheen effect. And definitely drink enough water to keep your urine a very pale yellow, otherwise it may be too concentrated.

Hope this helps.
Restart: 2/9/2013; 117lbs
Goal: 110-112lbs!

Last edited by lwcrbldy; 07-26-2011 at 06:46 AM..
lwcrbldy is offline   Reply With Quote