Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: boys3insc
2 Days of Low Carb. One Day Off

Several years ago I tried the Atkins diet. I lost 30 pounds in about 12 weeks. Then I found out I was pregnant and had to go off the diet. Now I am over weight again and pondering what diet to go with. I don't think I would do Atkins again because I don't think I could maintain it for my entire life. I have read some online about a low carb plan that you eat low carb for 2 days and then on the 3rd day you can have more carbs.(load up as they call it) I could maintain that for life. Does anyone have any experience with that? I have also read about the south beach diet but most of the foods listed in the book I don't like (asparagus, onions, egg plant, etc.) I love brocolli, green beans, cauliflower and many other vegetables. Unfortunately, I love potatoes and fruits too. So could someone tell me more about the 2 days on low carb and one day off diet?

Deanna
boys3insc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCNat
I have not heard of this diet but I don't think its sounds good. I mean you would probably get yourself into ketosis in those 2 days and then get the induction flu and then eat carbs and feel fine and then go back and start all overagain
LCNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: amiga74
Stats: 167(1997)/147/
WOE: moderation/good stuff
in all of the plans, you don't stay at induction level carbs forever. You do return to eating good carbs like fruit and vegetables. If you don't like eggplant, South Beach does not require that you eat it. Please do check out the books, or read the threads or do online searches for more info.

best of luck!
amiga74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PghMarsha
Stats: 220/179/145
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: March 2007 Recommit - too many times
Well, being a South Beach girl, I would of course encourage you to check it out. There are a few veggies that I don't like, eggplant being one of them so I don't eat them. I also get sick of salads so I quit eating them too for a while. SB is flexible and very "livable" IMHO.

The two days on and one day off doesn't sound real appealing. I think it would be enough to really screw up your body. Plus, how would you feed the family without having to cook 2 different meals?

Like Amiga said, do some research and find something that fits what you want to do. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Why not move up the carb ladder like the plan is written? You can have fruit while losing and some have potatoes on Maintenance.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #6

Gallery: fawn
Think about your journey in terms of permanent change for a positive permanent outcome. Study the role of insulin and you will surely understand weight gain. Remember, insulin is your fat storage hormone. like the others have said, when a plan is done as written such as Atkins or South Beach, your results are greater than if you allow your cravings to dictate your choices.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb79fl
Start Date: Every day
The plan you are looking for is listed on the "other plans" forum. JUDD

Looks like the thead has several pages, so check it out and look for some feedback there.

I struggle to stay "perfectly" on plan, too. During my weight loss, I went off and back on plan (mostly Atkins) more times than I can count. What I can tell you, from my own experience.... is that every time I went off plan for even a few days, I gained weight (mostly water) and it would take a few days to get it back off. After doing this repeatedly, I found that the times I "went off" plan became less frequent the closer I got to goal. That being said, my suggestion is to find a plan that you can do "for life", as I have found maintaining to be harder for me than losing weight was. Giving myself permission to eat like I used to (within reason) can be a challenge. I have come to understand that there will always be things that I can not eat and keep control over my appetite. So, now I am following my own version of "lower carb" eating. I have regained a little weight since my low of 128, but that is due to stress eating of ALL THE WRONG THINGS. When I go back to induction level of carbs (which will be later this week when I can back to the store and pick up all my low carb favorites), within a week I will have lost the weight regained.

I know that not everyone can do low carb, so if you don't think it's something you can do "forever" look at other plans and find one that you can stick with and maintain good health. Lots of people do well with Weight Watchers, Zone, Protein Power,etc. There are so many available and lots of threads here on LC Friends that might help you decide what plan might be best for you. Weight loss is hard and it does take time, so know and understand that it will not be gone overnight and that it will take effort to keep it off, but it is worth it!!

Good luck!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: maryvit
Stats: 137/133/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: reinducted 7/12/12
Search for recipes for 'mashed tates' and lc dressing (turkey isn't turkey w/o dressing and mashed tates to me)

lc level 2 allows some fruit (I love my lc orange juice in the a.m. !)

there are so many lc products (visit Netrition) out there that can replace the 'bad' foods that stall a woe!

Good luck with however you decide to tackle weightloss!
maryvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #9

Gallery: 6-R-bust-2009
Stats: 182/179.8/136
WOE: induction
Start Date: start 2021 :( 8/5
It isn't the crack the fat loss code plan is it?
6-R-bust-2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #10

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
The plan you are looking for is listed on the "other plans" forum. JUDD
sorry but I'm afraid it is NOT JUDD. The JUDD (Dr. Johnsons Up Day Down Day Diet aka The Alternate Day Diet) plan is not two days Low Carb one day not Low Carb. The JUDD plans rotates CALORIES on a daily basis with a low day followed by a regular day followed by a low day followed by a regular day. Every other day is a LOW CALORIE day. Most people on LCF that follow JUDD also combine it with low carb but the plan as written by Dr. Johnson is not low carb at all.

I've never heard of the diet you describe.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb79fl
Start Date: Every day
Thanks Kisha! Sorry that I misunderstood the JUDD plan. That's what I get for not rereading the thread before I posted the response!
Deb79fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belfrybat
WOE: Lowish carb (formerly on Protein Power)
On a low carb diet, the glycogen stores are depleted in a few days (which accounts for the rapid water-weight loss during the first week). If you eat high carb, even for a meal or two, the glycogen stores are then filled resulting in a large water-weight gain. Eating LC two days and HC one day would be a yo-yo and I can't see how anyone would lose weight this way unless calories were kept very low. There's also the satisfaction level -- ask yourself how you would feel at losing 3 - 4 lbs. in two days and then gaining most of it back on the third. I for one, would be extremely frustrated.

Have you looked at the Protein Power diet? One stays at 40 ECC during the weight loss phase then transitions in pre-maintenance to your body's personal ECC level. Depending on how your body reacts to carbs, that can be quite high. And there are no forbidden foods -- not one. Obviously you are not going to be able to eat much in the way of high carb foods on the weight loss phase, but you can relax later on. And it doesn't hurt to take a few "honey tree" days a year on very special occasions after you are finished with the weight loss phase.
belfrybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Kisha! Sorry that I misunderstood the JUDD plan. That's what I get for not rereading the thread before I posted the response!
No Problem hon!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: boys3insc
The 2 days on 1 day off plan I was referring to is called the secret skinny switch diet. I saw a commercial about it on TV. I haven't purchased it, but from what I have read I assumed it was a low carb plan.
I also have hypothyroid so that adds to my struggle to lose weight.

Deanna
boys3insc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by boys3insc View Post
The 2 days on 1 day off plan I was referring to is called the secret skinny switch diet. I saw a commercial about it on TV. I haven't purchased it, but from what I have read I assumed it was a low carb plan.

Deanna
oh i watched that infomercial LOL! i don't remember it being a low carb plan, but i do remember the guy talking about eating right 2 days and getting to eat a pizza every 3 days LOL. I was watching it while jogging and totally forgot about it till u said that. I do remember they had a website. So maybe research it a little and google to see what people really think. Good luck.
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Ugh, it's one you have to pay a weekly fee for. Personally I'm suspicious of any program that requires you to buy more than a book. I mean you buy a book, the author's made their money whether you stay on the plan a week or a year. It's good for them if you get to goal, soon! Because you'll recommend the book to your friends, so the author makes more money.

But if you're paying someone X amount of money a week it's in their interest for you to stay on the diet for as long as they can keep you on it. Which sounds good until you realise that means that they have no real motivation for you to get to goal, only to lose "some" weight, but never quite enough.

Or am I just a cynic?

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #17
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Yikes, doing low carb for two days, then one off would be like going through the first two days of induction over and over again. It varies per individual, but I know there is no possible way I could handle that.
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #18

Quote:

Deanna
In order to lose weight while hypo you are going to need to be sure your meds are optimized and you are going to have to watch carbs and probably calories too. Losing weight while Hypo is much more difficult than losing weight with a normal metabolism. I'm afraid the type of dedication and determination is alot more than following a 2 days on 1 day off plan. Losing weight while hypo is a DAILY and never ending thing. There are no OFF days.

sorry. i know its hard but thats just how it is.
I have yet to hear of ONE SINGLE hypo person that could quickly and easily shed the pounds. It is more like a very long and slow process while religiously following a particular WOE.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #19

Gallery: flatferenghi
as a hypo myself....

i had a rather easy time of it in the 2nd half of 2007. I was eating big portions and doing lots of walking. I lost 111 lbs between June 18 & Dec 30th of 2007. Of course, one has to be taking thyroid medication. But it is quite do-able. Now, until I get a little more weight off, my walking is not doing so well. But i expect that to improve in the next month. Also, i learned to be patient. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Love & profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Marine2512
Stats: 247/197/194
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 09/22/2009
Well just saw an study on a diet that you only do low carb (50 carbs a day) for 2 days a week, the study says it is good for insulin levels and the people who stuck to it lost an average of 9 pounds over 4 weeks
Marine2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: In2Win
Stats: 273/235/140
WOE: LCHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by boys3insc View Post
Several years ago I tried the Atkins diet. I lost 30 pounds in about 12 weeks. Then I found out I was pregnant and had to go off the diet. Now I am over weight again and pondering what diet to go with. I don't think I would do Atkins again because I don't think I could maintain it for my entire life. I have read some online about a low carb plan that you eat low carb for 2 days and then on the 3rd day you can have more carbs.(load up as they call it) I could maintain that for life. Does anyone have any experience with that? I have also read about the south beach diet but most of the foods listed in the book I don't like (asparagus, onions, egg plant, etc.) I love brocolli, green beans, cauliflower and many other vegetables. Unfortunately, I love potatoes and fruits too. So could someone tell me more about the 2 days on low carb and one day off diet?
You mentioned you were also hypo a few posts later. I am also hypo and have had to change my diet to limit my exposure to goitrogenic foods. Broc & Cauli are among them. You can Google 'goitrogenic foods' and find a list. It is important to note that you do NOT need to avoid these foods, I don't, but I do cook goitrogenic vegetables as cooking can reduce the goitrogenic compounds by 1/3. I also usually have no more then 2 serves of those types a food a day. Here are some subs or alterations I make near daily:

Broc./Cauli/Spinach/Cabbage- cook them when I do eat them. I eat more non-goitrogenic veggies like: lettuce, green beans, zucchini

Peanuts/Peanut Butter: watch portions or sub almonds & almond butter or other type of nut and nut butters (but not pine nuts! They are goitrogenic too)

Strawberries/Peaches/Pears- When I do have fruit or berries, I always have a small serving. You can mix other berries with the strawberries to lessen the amount of strawberry in your serving, i.e. blueberries or raspberries. Do the same with the pears & peaches, small portion or add another non-goitrogenic fruit to complete your serve, or even consider serving the fruit slightly cooked to lessen the compounds.

The other thing that coconut oil might improve thyroid function : Coconut Oil & Diets on MedicineNet.com

Also Caffeine can adversely affect thyroid function, see: Caffeine, Calcium and the Thyroid / Thyroid Disease Information Source - Articles/FAQs snippet:
Quote:
In addition to similarity of some symptoms, there is a suspected hormonal relationship between the thyroid and caffeine. According to researchers, "Caffeine has been shown to markedly alter...thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), and thyroid hormones in animal studies. Similar studies in the human are lacking." (Dev Pharmacol Ther 1987;10(2):73-80) Other researchers found that "chronic caffeine therapy," constituted by high levels of caffeine use over time, "stimulated both T4 and TSH; however, TRH-stimulated TSH release was decreased, suggesting that chronic therapy may blunt pituitary TSH response." (Pediatr Res 1983 Jul;17(7):592-595).

Recognizing that caffeine may impact the thyroid's ability to function, therefore, is enough reason to consider cutting out or cutting down on caffeine.
As a result I have been switching to caffeine free tea & diet soda where possible (although I want to end diet soda consumption entirely one day) to help in that respect. So regardless of which eating plan you go on, consider limiting your goitrogenic foods, limiting your caffeine & possibly adding coconut oil to the mix. I wish you the best of luck.
In2Win is offline   Reply With Quote