LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Capt. Carnivore
Stats: M / 5' 11" / 185 lbs.
WOE: VLC
Start Date: November 11, 2008
Shelf life of coconut oil

I'd like to make the investment of a large tub of coconut oil and am wondering if it can go rancid or if there's a shelf life?

I'd hate to buy too much, have it go bad, and throw away my money.

I can store the big batch in a cool, dark and dry place and only bring say a quart at a time into my kitchen as needed.

Also, I found this on the net but it was referring to olive oil... think it would pertain to coconut oil as well?

STORAGE:

"Tinted glass, porcelain, or stainless steel are the best materials for containers; oil should never be stored in plastic or in reactive metals. Stay away from plastic containers as the oil can absorb PVCs."

Beef fundamentalist

Started at 360 miserable lbs. in November 2008 - Lost 175 lbs. - Now maintaining a solid 185 lbs. for life!
Capt. Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: treebunny
Stats: 170/142/140/age 58 ht.5'6" F
WOE: EFGT/VLC
Start Date: July 08
I read somewhere that coconut oil has a very long shelf life partly because of it's natural anti-fungal/anti-bacterial properties.

I bought a large amount of coconut cream concentrate and I'm hoping that source was right !!!
treebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lyn8070
Stats: start 151; 141; goal:133
WOE: Atkins
I also bought a good-sized jar at least a year ago - used it last night and it is still perfect. It does add a nice taste to the veggies.
lyn8070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Tropical Traditions has the 1 and 5 gallon plastic buckets that are non-leeching. I had one and it was fine. I transferred some into the empty qt. jar as needed.[/COLOR]

pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Capt. Carnivore
Stats: M / 5' 11" / 185 lbs.
WOE: VLC
Start Date: November 11, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Tropical Traditions brand.

Looking forward to my deep fryer gift this Christmas and buying the coconut oil in qty. will be ideal.

I'm tired of burning the crap out of my hands making wings and other fried goodies in a frying pan!
Capt. Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VanjaJames
Stats: 150/130/125 5'5''
WOE: Spartan Diet, MEVY/Candida diet
Start Date: 10/2008
I hear palm oil is better for frying than coconut oil? (Or its more commonly used than any other oil around the world apparently.)

Sounds like you need some silicone gloves when you fry
VanjaJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:34 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Yes, I buy by the gallon--there are 2 buckets under my tree right now!! It will not go bad. I usually go through about the 2 gallons (by myself) in about 6 months. So there is no time for it to go bad, but it does have a long shelf life. I think you will do fine with the coconut oil in the deep fryer--wish a fryer was on my list this Christmas. Oh well there is always my brithday........
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: whilom
Stability of saturated fats

Coconut oil has a very long shelf life. But coconut oil is not in and of itself anti-viral or anti-microbial. These qualities are actually a result of how coconut oil acts in your body, and how it facilitates your immune system's ability to attack viruses and bacteria.

However, the degradation and rancidity that plagues most oils comes from their mono- or poly-unsaturated status. Saturated oils are extremely stable, and solid saturated oils, such as coconut oil are even more stable yet.

Note there are two ways to refine coconut oil: by hydrogenation, and by fractionalisation. Hydrogenated coconut oil suffers from the same problems as other hydrogenated vegetable oils: the potential for trans-fats. Fractionalised coconut oil removes the undesired elements without acting on the medium-chain saturated molecules. Fractionalised coconut oil is sometimes claimed to have an "indefinite" shelf life. I wouldn't hesitate to use such coconut oil if it had been stored in a cool dark place for several years.

Just remember when buying a large quantity of coconut oil to confirm that it was refined by fractionalisation.
whilom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
Two years.....
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: treebunny
Stats: 170/142/140/age 58 ht.5'6" F
WOE: EFGT/VLC
Start Date: July 08
Thanks for the specific information, whilom .

And welcome to Low Carb Friends
treebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace-of-Steak View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Tropical Traditions brand.

Looking forward to my deep fryer gift this Christmas and buying the coconut oil in qty. will be ideal.

I'm tired of burning the crap out of my hands making wings and other fried goodies in a frying pan!

Last edited by PghPALady1974; 01-20-2009 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: because I realized it is yet another OLD thread pulled up
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WindsorFox
Yes I know, zombie thread. But I found this on an Internet search. My question is to hose who mentioned the long life of their large amounts of coconut oil, did you refrigerate it? I've read the olive oil does better with refrigeration but that it's not necessary. On the first (and so far only) jar of coconut oil I bought it says on the side to refrigerate after opening. Now, I probably don't have to tell you how much of a PITA it is to get a tablespoon out of the jar when it's been in the refrigerator. I'd like very much to leave it in the dark pantry next to the olive oil if I can do so safely.

TIA
WindsorFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorFox View Post
Yes I know, zombie thread. But I found this on an Internet search. My question is to hose who mentioned the long life of their large amounts of coconut oil, did you refrigerate it? I've read the olive oil does better with refrigeration but that it's not necessary. On the first (and so far only) jar of coconut oil I bought it says on the side to refrigerate after opening. Now, I probably don't have to tell you how much of a PITA it is to get a tablespoon out of the jar when it's been in the refrigerator. I'd like very much to leave it in the dark pantry next to the olive oil if I can do so safely.

TIA
Nope. Not necessary to refrigerate coconut oil. I didn't way back then and still don't today. I do not put it in the fridge for the very reason you state---you cannot get it out of the jar if you store it in the fridge.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Nope. Not necessary to refrigerate coconut oil.
Hi dawnyama…

Yup - that's why it's one of the world's most used oils. Keeps for years stored at tropical temperatures.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
My company imported and sold coconut oil for 16 years. Coconut oil does not have an expiration date. It doesn't go bad.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as 'fractionalised' coconut. I've never heard that term before. We did (and still do) sell 'fractionated' coconut oil but this is *NOT* appropriate for cooking/ingestion. Fractionated coconut oil is hydrogenated coconut oil that has been separated out into its various fatty acids. Fractionated coconut oil (as labeled by international standards) is only the C8/C10 (capricaprylic) fatty acids and the glycerol (another component of the original coconut oil). Fractionated coconut oil is a very light liquid used in both the massage and cosmetic industry because it has a good slip to the skin and absorbs quickly without leaving grease stains on cloth.

The only other coconut oils I am aware of are the hydrogenated 76 degree and 92 degree coconut oils (RBD - refined, bleached, deodorized) and the cold pressed virgin coconut oil.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #16

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I was taking advantage of the Amazon subscription and was told it was being cancelled going forward since the vendor was no longer offering the product. then it looks like it's still available. so I ordered 20 regular size jars since it's the best price per ounce given the free shipping and discount. I have no fear it will last fine, but I do think the sealed jars are better than going into a big jar periodically to scoop some out... when you do that, be sure to have VERY well cleaned/sterilized utensils and stuff for handling it and seal it up quickly. it should be fine for a long time.