LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 2BigAgain
Stats: 251/219/150
WOE: LC <25 carbs daily
Start Date: July 8, 2013
Coconut Oil = Upset Stomach?

I finally started taking coconut oil after reading all about it here. I started with just a small amount in my coffee in the morning and was fine at first, but when I increased the amount I felt slightly nauseated for a good part of the morning. This has happened the past 3 days. Is that from the coconut oil? Does that mean that is my limit, or will I get used to it? I do admit it gave me energy and I REALLY wasn't hungry (I love that part )
2BigAgain is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
I had the same issue. I could only use a small amountin 1 cup of coffee. Otherwise I felt queezy(s?) - I actually stopped using it until 2 days ago. Now I use a smidge in each cup. I am talking a quarter of a teaspoon. I have read you need to use it slowly. And for sure, it keeps hunger at bay for me too. I didnt think of food until noon.

Just cut back for now...work up to more.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 224/198.6/150
WOE: Atkins & Exercise
Start Date: Start Date: October 17,2011
Yep! It's the CO. Start off slow with smaller amounts and build your way up to about 2-3 tablespoons a day.
DolphinsOnMyMind777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 2BigAgain
Stats: 251/219/150
WOE: LC <25 carbs daily
Start Date: July 8, 2013
Thanks gals! I'll back off the amount today...still hoping for the energy boost though!!
2BigAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
i can still get that if i have too much on an empty stomach. if i add it to smoothies and other food, no problem. initially, it made me feel so bad that i stopped using it!!
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #6

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
There are a few things that could be giving you the upset stomach. I have to take my CO with a food otherwise I get the same reaction. I personally take my coconut oil after a meal. Some do it before. You just have to see what works for you. It is recommended that you do take with food as that is how it is found in nature. Not sure of the ratios of protein and fiber you need with it but you can find this info on tropical traditions website. If you click on coconut oil to the left there is a great FAQs section that can help anyone with any questions about coconut oil, I cannot link it as it is against TOS here. Another reason I get nauseated with CO is if I ingest too much fat and then have 1 TBL of CO. I get this quite frequently after dinner. I just take a TBL of apple cider vinegar in some water and then it goes away. 2big--did you measure how much you are getting? You just mentioned a bit--is that a tsp or a TBLP. It really does make a difference if you are just starting out. I take about 4, sometimes 5 TBL per day but have been doing this for about 7 years. It still makes me gag at times!!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 115 5'4"
Hello! First post :)

Hello everyone...

I stumbled upon this forum in a Google search trying to find out why Coconut Oil swiftly made me feel incredibly nauseous! One minute I was feeling GREAT..enjoying a beautiful Sunday morning savoring coconut oil in my beloved coffee... and the next thing I was ... oh so NOT enjoying my sunday morning bliss!!

I have come to learn (through this really neat site) that I overdid it on my first delve into the world of Coconut Oil. I must have been living under a rock all these years to have not heard about the vast benefits of this amazing oil. I am a lover of all things DIY (do it yourself).. and am baffled as to how this gem eluded me for so long. (although at this red-hot minute, I am definitely not feeling the love)!!

I was sooooo excited about all the health and beauty benefits I was learning about with it (I purchased an "organic extra virgin, unrefined, cold-pressed, yada yada one" that is pearly white and lovely!)

So, as I usually do when I get excited about something... I figure more is better. Well... NOPE. Not this time. So right now, I am feeling quite ill. sigh. I hope it doesn't last too long, and I can go back to savoring Sunday mornin'.

I look forward to reading and contributing here. I have been a low-carb fan since the late seventies.
Vintage 1959 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #8

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Welcome to the site vintage! Hoping you stick around!

Yep, built my levels up very slowly. Still not to the full amount, but getting there!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
Kitty where is the EX thread you told me about?
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

I guess I am the only one that can drink the stuff with NO problem. I most times put 1 whole tab. in my coffee. The times I make hot coffee cocoa I add an extra tab. to the cup/HWC!
Oh I drink at least 6 maybe 7 mugs! A day!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #11

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
EX ?
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
There are a few things that could be giving you the upset stomach. I have to take my CO with a food otherwise I get the same reaction. I personally take my coconut oil after a meal. Some do it before. You just have to see what works for you. It is recommended that you do take with food as that is how it is found in nature. Not sure of the ratios of protein and fiber you need with it but you can find this info on tropical traditions website. If you click on coconut oil to the left there is a great FAQs section that can help anyone with any questions about coconut oil, I cannot link it as it is against TOS here. Another reason I get nauseated with CO is if I ingest too much fat and then have 1 TBL of CO. I get this quite frequently after dinner. I just take a TBL of apple cider vinegar in some water and then it goes away. 2big--did you measure how much you are getting? You just mentioned a bit--is that a tsp or a TBLP. It really does make a difference if you are just starting out. I take about 4, sometimes 5 TBL per day but have been doing this for about 7 years. It still makes me gag at times!!
Hi Dawn, I wonder if everyone is using different brand oils??

I have been using it since 2006. I use it 4 everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by marylouise; 04-01-2012 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: added thought
Old 04-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

I have not bought any liq. oil except ECOO in over 6 months. I make cakes with it. I scramble eggs with a lot of it!

I got sick to my stomach one time a couple of weeks ago. I had just ate some pork jowl. It was so so so fattie. I don't do that stuff anymore!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

where u want me to go to log squaks...cant spell the word!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 1959 Girl View Post
Hello everyone...

I stumbled upon this forum in a Google search trying to find out why Coconut Oil swiftly made me feel incredibly nauseous! One minute I was feeling GREAT..enjoying a beautiful Sunday morning savoring coconut oil in my beloved coffee... and the next thing I was ... oh so NOT enjoying my sunday morning bliss!!

I have come to learn (through this really neat site) that I overdid it on my first delve into the world of Coconut Oil. I must have been living under a rock all these years to have not heard about the vast benefits of this amazing oil. I am a lover of all things DIY (do it yourself).. and am baffled as to how this gem eluded me for so long. (although at this red-hot minute, I am definitely not feeling the love)!!

I was sooooo excited about all the health and beauty benefits I was learning about with it (I purchased an "organic extra virgin, unrefined, cold-pressed, yada yada one" that is pearly white and lovely!)

So, as I usually do when I get excited about something... I figure more is better. Well... NOPE. Not this time. So right now, I am feeling quite ill. sigh. I hope it doesn't last too long, and I can go back to savoring Sunday mornin'.

I look forward to reading and contributing here. I have been a low-carb fan since the late seventies.
Vintage Girl~

I would like to get more info when you can stick around your computer. I am so sorry it is dong this to you. I am gona just jump in here and ask the Q.

Do you have issues with that room that keeps calling you back. Is it all lower problem or are you throwing up?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #16

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
Hi Dawn, I wonder if everyone is using different brand oils??

I have been using it since 2006. I use it 4 everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was from 2 years ago. I am fine with it now. I actually take it before meals, if I take it. I guess one has to develop a tolerance for it. My current WOE doesn't allow oils. But once I finish up with this round I am on, I am all over it love my coconut oil :love And I do take it on an empty stomach. I just started oil pulling and I do that before I eat anything. Just started that this week and doesn't bother me at all.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

well my word...didnt look at the date...
Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #18
Mrs. Robbie Williams

Gallery: hippiegirl
My understanding is that the nausea is caused by yeast die-off, thus the need to go slowly as your "gut" heals itself.
hippiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
I love CO for filling me up but it does make me feel a little queasy sometimes.
Butter and other animal fats can do the same thing if I am not careful. Still, I eat
a lot of fat, just not all at once!
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
I still can only tolerate about 1/2 tsp, at a time, and not in my coffee... I take it with food or I can feel sick. I use tropical traditions and have for 6 years. It's great to use as a body lotion and makeup remover too! (I have a separate jar for eating and a separate jar for body).
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote