LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElleMarie
Stats: 285/278/160
WOE: non-specific low carb
Start Date: Feb 10, 2009
What to eat now??

I am in a quandary and need some advice. I was told I was insulin resistant which is what brought me to you guys......yeah!!! (silver lining)

Now I got the diagnosis on Friday that my kidneys are stressed and I might be in early kidney failure. My kidneys quit on me about four years ago and then spontaneously began to work again, my docs had no explanation but I was so very grateful for them working again. Fast forward to now.........I am down about 20 lbs, my fasting insulin numbers are great but I have too much creatinine in my urine.

Now I am to start another med to protect my kidneys and cut back on Protein. SO if I am eating low carb AND low protein........is FAT the only thing left to eat??? Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.........Elle

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wifezilla
Stats: 250/207/190
WOE: Read em all. Doing it my way.
Start Date: May 2007
Wow Elle, quite a challenge.

Good thing fat is good for you

Can you eat dairy?
wifezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Just to say......This same thing happened to my gf..........She was taking too much Aleeve, etc. and it almost killed her. She's okay now.

Good luck, hope you feel better.

Just curious - Who told you that you were insulin resistant.....a Dr.?

B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

My endocrinologist diagnosised me in April. That is why I ended up here. All my research showed that low carb is the way to go for insulin resistance.

I can eat dairy but I know it has higher carbs than I want. Looks like I am back to the drawing board for what to eat now. I guess I will need to curb my protein even if it means that I don't lose weight.

All this PLUS I broke my foot so I can't exercise for a bit either. When it rains it pours.
ElleMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wifezilla
Stats: 250/207/190
WOE: Read em all. Doing it my way.
Start Date: May 2007
Bama is correct. If you can find a copy of "Natural Health and Weight Loss" by Barry Groves, you may want to nab it.

60%-65% fat is no problem. I actually have to work at it to get my fat percent closer to 80%.

Cream cheese is my friend though An entire 8 oz package has only 6g of carbs. Whip some up with a bit of heavy cream and flavor with Da Vinci sugar-free syrups... The raspberry flavor is really good. Sometimes I use unsweetened cocoa powder and peanut butter with some Da Vinci simple syrup. AWESOME.

My Favorite Low Carb Ezine! Modern Savage Living
wifezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Great post Bama girl.....

Elle, I would eat about 80-90gr. of protein based on your body weight...not much more.
Now, from Mary Enig, "coconut oil enhances kidney function by providing a saturated fatty acid called myristic acid, which plays a vitoal role in the biochemistry of the kidneys. In a key reaction called myristolation, myristic acid is added to a protein. This process allows the cells of the kidney to communicate with each other."
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday I took a day off of everything. I ate what I wanted, drank what I wanted and just didn't give ANYTHING a second thought.

It is amazing how this has BECOME my lifestyle because even when telling myself to not give anything a second thought I actually ate quite well. I guess it is true that this isn't a diet but rather a way of life. This is the first program I have ever done that allows me to feel comfortable without feeling like I am being "cheated" in any way.
ElleMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
You know ElleMarie, in the absence of refined foods, life really can be good. It's just going to be identifying those foods that make you feel good and manage blood sugar.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote