Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cynthia12368
Stats: 300/268/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/06/2008
Please tell me....How does Coconut Oil make you feel?

Hi All,

I have just started adding Coconut Oil to my diet and I am so ravenous I could gnaw my own arm off. I've been eating the same Low Carb diet as I was before and I was never hungry then but since adding the Coconut Oil I am constantly hungry. I read that you should build up to the recommended dosage slowly, so I have only been taking about 1 or 2 teaspoons a day so far. I am a bit concerned that if I up it to the recommended 3 Tablespoons a day, my hunger will increase too.

If you are currently taking Coconut Oil, please tell me the following:

1. How much do you take (per day)?

2. How does it make you feel (i.e., full, hungry, energized, warm, etc)?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Cynthia12368 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I don't use it anymore because I get very sick from it. I think I'm allergic. When I've used it in the past I would lose 2 lbs. a day. So good luck.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Froggyjean
Stats: 199.6/176.4/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 9, 2007
I used to have 2 tablespoons a day in my coffee.
It really helped me not get hungry until at least lunch time. However, I didn't notice a significant bump in my weight loss due to taking it. So I stopped and over time I noticed it had been making me edgy. I have no idea how or why, but when I include CO in my diet, I become a bit less patient and more likely to get angry at the little things. When it's gone I'm a lot less high strung. :shrug:
Froggyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Bumping....hoping for more responses.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Rory
Stats: 20W/14M/8
How does coconut oild amke you feel?

Greasy?
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lildragonfly
I feel full with it but I am working myself up to so much of it a week. I just cook in it right now and this morning first time I added it to my coffee. Ill let you know in a few days how it does. My weight is titter tottering right now but I think as someone called it im flobbery so maybe a whoosh will happen.
lildragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your responses so far. I was was just reading the Oil Pulling threads and if the ravenous hunger continues, I may switch to just Oil Pulling (instead of ingesting it).

We'll see.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #8

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I've only been taking it for a week, as cocoa bark, at I have been having trouble remembering to eat, cause I guess it makes me feel full. OTOH, I have been feeling nauseated lately and cannot directly find the culprit. It may be the CO, cause the first day I took the 4 T all at once and an hour later I felt nauseated. Now, I've been spreading it out as small snacks during the day, It seemed to help. But I really think I may not be eating enough because of it.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lwcrbldy
Stats: 5'1", 35yrs: 135/126/112
WOE: Atkins, Kekwick
Start Date: 9/2014
I spread it out throughout the day and I feel fine now. But when I first started I was taking it a tablespoon at a time, 3 times a day, and every time within 30 minutes I felt all stoked up and my face and ears felt like I'd just gotten out of a good cardio session. I cut it down to 1 tsp 6 times a day (in coffee, cooking with it, or eating it plain) and I felt much less revved up after each tsp.
lwcrbldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
I take 1T per day in my morning smoothie. It's energizing and helps keep me "regular," I think.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #11
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Today is my first day. Anyone else out ther still on CO?
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #12

I posted back in 2008 that I kept me from eating and made me nauseated, but after a year of using it I have to say that I makes me feel great. I think I needed to start slowly and work my way up more slowly. Since I incorporated it fully into my cooking and eating instead of just gobbling it as candy, I feel better about my meals. I feel fuller longer and the food seems more satisfying. I recently made package LC muffins with it. I usually used butter and cream, or cream cheese just to get a nice mouthfeel. that time I used coconut oil as the oil and they were so fluffy and yet not grainy but soft.
My skin quit breaking out as much and I started using it as a face and body lotion and I had less flakiness on my legs and face.

But this was over time, so if you are new, try just substituting it as your cooking oil instead of just adding it to tea or making candy which could cause you to eat too much at once. I'm glad I found coconut oil. My next new oils are Pure Lard and Palm Oil Shortening which is a beautiful natural white and cooks as good as crisco. But that's a different topic

ETA: I also started adding it to my conditioner and using it straight on my scalp line and have almost eradicated the dander fluff that always embarassed me when I had my hair pulled back. I Love Coconut Oil. ( can't stand the meat though!)
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 02-27-2009 at 07:47 AM..
Old 02-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
it made me HUNGRY!!!
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia12368 View Post
Thanks for your responses so far. I was was just reading the Oil Pulling threads and if the ravenous hunger continues, I may switch to just Oil Pulling (instead of ingesting it).

We'll see.
I've never noticed feeling different when I eat coconut oil. I'd suggest staying at your current level or decreasing & increase if/when you have adjusted to it. Where did you get the 3 T dose? There are a lot of varied recommendations based on why you're taking it, size, etc.

Consuming coconut oil and doing oil pulling are completely different & have different benefits.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Hi All,

I didn't realize this thread was still getting responses. I just got the first email about in a long, long time.

In regards to everyone's responses, Coconut Oil is just not for me. It made me so hungry that I couldn't sleep and the was by using it very minimally. One day I wasn't thinking and I used Coconut Oil as lotion (or skin softener) on my arms. I was so hungry all day and I had no idea why until that evening when I remember that I had used it that morning just on my skin.

I just can't tolerate my stomach growling (furociously) all day and night when I use or ingest it. Thanks everyone for all of your responses.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #16

Wow, Cynthia, I guess everybody's body is different. when I used it I had to remind myself to eat cause it decreased my hunger. Sorry it didn't work out for you. But thanks for the thread!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msbaggypants
Stats: 207/207/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 8/9/06 restart 9/15/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcrbldy View Post
I spread it out throughout the day and I feel fine now. But when I first started I was taking it a tablespoon at a time, 3 times a day, and every time within 30 minutes I felt all stoked up and my face and ears felt like I'd just gotten out of a good cardio session. I cut it down to 1 tsp 6 times a day (in coffee, cooking with it, or eating it plain) and I felt much less revved up after each tsp.
I get feel very energetic with CO. The first times I tried it, it almost felt like a hot flash. I just feel like I'm buzzing with energy, and I love it. Doesn't affect my hunger so much either way.
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: star a.d.
Stats: 235/203.5/165-off the wagon-247+/213/235/198/165
WOE: hHCG rogue...still figuring it out
it makes me full.
star a.d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
It makes me full and I feel hotter (almost like a hot flash). I stopped using it daily because it kept me up at night. Can't eat any after 3pm or I'm up all night.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
I have not noticed that it makes me "feel" any different. It does seem to help with "regularity" and helps me to be less hungry , I think. I just now realized that because I recently ran our of CO, and feel more hungry than I had been feeling. Interesting.

I also feel more tired in the afternoon. Not sure if it is becuase of not having CO or not.

I need to get to the store and replenish my stock.

I take 2 tablespoons per day in my AM coffee.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzukigirl
Stats: 200/125/130
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: 1/12/11
I feel HOT, (not a sexy hot, unfortunately), a more revved up hot, I go a bit pink and my skin actually feels warmer.
suzukigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LayMiz
Stats: 229/209/145; 5'4", 59yo
WOE: 4 #s on LC, rest on JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD Apr. 16, 2012
I CANNOT get to sleep when I eat it. I was only using 1 T. in the morning for my 1 mug of coffee a day.
LayMiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #23
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Sometimes it makes me a tad nauseated, and other times, it doesn't affect me at all.
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emmyjane
Stats: 180/143/135 5'-6.5"
Start Date: 1/4/09
I was using an expeller pressed Organic CO by Spectrum that always upset my stomach and made me nauseous- which resulted in me losing any appetite for a few hours at least...

I tried a different brand today- organic extra Virgin by Nutiva, and I don't have any nausea at all. I don't really notice any changes in appetite or energy. I really like the Nutiva because it has a coconutty scent and flavor. The other stuff was just icky and bland, with just a "weird" greasy flavor, not coconut-ty at all. I make the chocolate bark, with about 10 crushed almonds and about 1/2-3/4 packet of Truvia sprinkled on top. I like the flavor of the Truvia with the chocolate/coconut.
emmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #25
JBo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JBo
Stats: 230/179/160
WOE: ZC
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmyjane View Post
I really like the Nutiva because it has a coconutty scent and flavor. The other stuff was just icky and bland, with just a "weird" greasy flavor, not coconut-ty at all. I make the chocolate bark, with about 10 crushed almonds and about 1/2-3/4 packet of Truvia sprinkled on top. I like the flavor of the Truvia with the chocolate/coconut.
This makes me feel like an Almond Joy
JBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #26
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I also bought the Nutiva and am waiting for it to arrive. Right now I am using Luann from Walmart. I have been eating the bark. 4T a day for about 3 days. I was using a lot of olive oil in my cooking and eating Costco's pesto but have traded over to CO. My numbers look the same on ****** but even though my carbs have on most days, been under 20, rarely would show any minimal ketosis. With the CO, I have moved up 2 color spots on the ketostick and I have never been that high!! CO is different. I eat my last piece about 9:00 at night and have no problems sleeping. Just made the coconut oil mayonnaise from this site and it was amazing! I used 1 cup melted CO instead of 1/2 cup CO and 1/2 cup olive oil. Will use for egg salad or make a salt free version to mix in with ranch dressing mix. This has been with the Luann brand because it is tasteless. Added sliced almonds and 1T unsweetened coconut to my CO fudge and boy, that was good! I will weigh myself in 4 days and report but I was stalled with olive oil and after 3 days of CO, my clothes fit looser. On the same fat/calories as before!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Makeitgreen
Stats: 175/167
Start Date: Februay 23, 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I posted back in 2008 that I kept me from eating and made me nauseated, but after a year of using it I have to say that I makes me feel great. I think I needed to start slowly and work my way up more slowly. Since I incorporated it fully into my cooking and eating instead of just gobbling it as candy, I feel better about my meals. I feel fuller longer and the food seems more satisfying. I recently made package LC muffins with it. I usually used butter and cream, or cream cheese just to get a nice mouthfeel. that time I used coconut oil as the oil and they were so fluffy and yet not grainy but soft.
My skin quit breaking out as much and I started using it as a face and body lotion and I had less flakiness on my legs and face.

But this was over time, so if you are new, try just substituting it as your cooking oil instead of just adding it to tea or making candy which could cause you to eat too much at once. I'm glad I found coconut oil. My next new oils are Pure Lard and Palm Oil Shortening which is a beautiful natural white and cooks as good as crisco. But that's a different topic

ETA: I also started adding it to my conditioner and using it straight on my scalp line and have almost eradicated the dander fluff that always embarassed me when I had my hair pulled back. I Love Coconut Oil. ( can't stand the meat though!)
Coconut oil is GREAT but just so you know, it's almost TOO good an oil for lotions. It dries some people out. If you mix it with some shea or olive, you might have a better outcome over the long run. BUT no need to change what you're doing unless it bothers you.

To answer the question: I tried it when I was on a high fiber, low fat diet and it made me gain weight.

Yesterday I took a teaspoon and I think it made me feel more energized. I'm trying to work my way up but for now, one or two teaspoons a day is what I'm taking in and if anything, it makes me full and gives some energy.

I think I may have to take a little more to see the real dif.
Makeitgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #28

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
There are a lot of threads about the cleansing effects of coconut oil. If you have a lot of reactions and it isn't allergies, then you may be experiencing a reaction from the die-off of yeast or from your body adapting.

I don't use it as a weight loss element, in that I find I really have to look at everything I am eating and keep overall calories balanced. But I also do better with hunger when I bump up the total % of fat overall. One thing I see people doing is to cut back good fats when they use coconut oil, and I think that may not be a good long term solution. Your body needs oils/ fats like this to build and repair itself, just as it needs protein.

I'm in it for the long term, for building cellular strength. I'm not sure which of my changes are causing this but I have found my nails growing in much better, my sinuses rarely give me ANY problem now, I'm losing weight without a lot of hunger.

Everyone is different, but my results are very well worth it!

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." (Mae West)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)
Su11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fieldofroses1
Stats: 300+/217/under 200
WOE: Mostly LC veggies & proteins due to food allergies
Start Date: Aug 18 2008
it stalled my weightloss, so I used it just as a moisturizer
fieldofroses1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Agee
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 6/28/14
It makes me hungry, too. And hot. But the hunger is the worst part.
I wonder why it does that to some people?
A
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote