Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #1

Location: Dreaming of sitting on an island with my toes nestled in warm sand ~ if only in my mind
Stats: 190/171/150
WOE: Atkins-->LC-->Just Plain Normal For My World
Has anyone here had an allergic reaction to shrimp?

Seems like each time I eat shrimp I wake up at night with some problems. I thought it was just a coincident, but the more I eat shrimp it seems to get worse. A few nights ago I had quite a bit of shrimp for dinner and during the night I woke up with some awful problems so I started researching it on the internet.

Anyone else had any problems?
Warm Sun & A Chair is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: HappyisNow
I had a lil rash from eating these giant shrimps once. It was over ten years ago. Luckily it's never happened again.
HappyisNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: DeliGirl
Stats: -25 from restart (-80 from highest ever)
WOE: Lean for Life
Start Date: May 26, 2010
I eat shrimp and my eyes swell shut. Trust me, it's not a pretty sight... think Beast from Beauty and the Beast ROFL
DeliGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alivenaz
Stats: 208/170/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct. 2004
My friend developed an allergy to shrimp after she had gastric bypass surgery. It was actually kind of scary. Avoid the shrimp if you experiencing some sensitivities.
alivenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linna
Stats: 240/210.6/160
WOE: Low Carb my Style!
I am allergic to most seafood. If I eat it, I get violently sick, and throw it all up.
Linna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #6

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
I have friends who get episodes of gout from shrimp and other shell fish. Their ankles and feet swell painfully.
SkeeterN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:01 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ItsToni
Stats: 5'9" - started@223/199/160
WOE: Atkins (over & over)
Start Date: October 21, 2005
No shrimp here - but am allergic to Cod. The first time I ate it, I got sick and broke out in hives. The 2nd time it was bacon wrapped scallops and I was chilled and throwing up - I never knew I was allergic and recently found out that sometimes places will use cod fish as "scallops". Really made me thing. I now avoid all seafood - just in case.
ItsToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skaylarson
Stats: 199/183/145
Start Date: again on 12/31/07 again on 1/7/2012
My Mom used to eat shrimp without any issues. She never got sick, nothing. Then she went in for a medical test where they injected her with an iodine. She went into Cardiac Arrest (thankfully for some pretty fabulous doctors and my Mom's strong will to live ...she was singing Queen's Bicycle races to keep herself awake...crazy lady) and was lucky to have survived.

The doctors told her that she was allergic to iodine. Iodine is found in shellfish like shrimp. When she mentioned she never had problems before they told her that the iodine levels tend to build up in your system, so you never know when you "exceed" the level. BTW: there is no test to tell if you're allergic or not.

So my very non-official advise is to stay away if you're getting ill after. If you'd like, look up iodine allergies and that link to shellfish.

Best of luck to you!
Sharon

170 is my first goal. This will bring me to a 30 BMI.
160 will be my next goal..No date...just a goal
skaylarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #9

Gallery: Purple Sage
Stats: LCHF no scale - goal size 8 & healthy 14/14/8
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 1, 2005 Atkins :'( restart April 2014
Shell fish allergies can be potentially VERY dangerous. If you are reacting to shrimp please stay away from it. You need to talk to your doctor about it and get an epi pen on hand because the reaction can become increasingly severe to the point of even going into anaphylactic shock.
Purple Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: somethingblue2u
Stats: 190/195/150
WOE: Atkins for Life
Start Date: 2nd time October 2007
That could be really dangerous, stay away from shrimp. Take a look at what they look like when they are swimming in the ocean, they are pretty creepy looking, that should help avoid cravings.
somethingblue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #11

Gallery: ljh150
I love shrimp and crablegs, but notice that I swell and gain a coulpe lbs. of water weight whenever I eat them. I still cave once in a while, but the symptoms keep me away most of the time.
ljh150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: singalou
Stats: 177/156/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/1/08 (a restart...grrr)
I NEVER used to react to shrimp although I have other allergeries. Last year, I ate some undercooked shrimp and my face swelled so much I couldn't distinguish features. They were afraid my throat was going to swell shut and put me on mega doses of prednisone to stop the reaction. It felt like someone had taken a blow torch to my face...grrrr. A month later, all was well....but it was scary!
singalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
shell fish allergies are not uncommon and can be serious!
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #14

Location: Dreaming of sitting on an island with my toes nestled in warm sand ~ if only in my mind
All your answers are very interesting, thank you for sharing with me, and I hope that all of you and who's family and friends had troubles are all ok!

What happened to me the other day was I woke up at night and I was biting my tongue, it woke me up. My tongue had swollen up so much that my teeth were biting in to it. It scared the heck out of me, and in the morning my eyes and hands were so swollen, it has actually taken a few days for everything to get back to normal.

I had, had affects of swelling in the past when I ate shrimp which concerned me, but it was nothing to this extent of a few days ago.

It's interesting to know also about the dye tests that contain iodine. I had one many years ago and it left me with a smashing headache for days. I'll be sure to tell a doctor if I ever have to have one again. I think there is truth to the iodine builds up in your body.

I do love shrimp, but after this I am terrified to eat it again. (I still have teeth marks in my tongue)
Old 01-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kar1231
Stats: 209/178/140
WOE: Low Glycemic Index
Start Date: March 2009
oysters

I can eat clams, scallops, shrimp, crab, mussels,fish with no problems but if I eat oysters (or anything made with oysters, like oyster sauce) I get violently ill. It gets worse every time - no more for me!
kar1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Khewes
That was totally an anaphylactic reaction to shrimp. Once you've had one, the subsequent ones tend to get worse. Stay away from the shrimp. Probably crabs too, their shells contain iodine as well.
Khewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #17

Start Date: November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Sun & A Chair View Post
All your answers are very interesting, thank you for sharing with me, and I hope that all of you and who's family and friends had troubles are all ok!

What happened to me the other day was I woke up at night and I was biting my tongue, it woke me up. My tongue had swollen up so much that my teeth were biting in to it. It scared the heck out of me, and in the morning my eyes and hands were so swollen, it has actually taken a few days for everything to get back to normal.

I had, had affects of swelling in the past when I ate shrimp which concerned me, but it was nothing to this extent of a few days ago.

It's interesting to know also about the dye tests that contain iodine. I had one many years ago and it left me with a smashing headache for days. I'll be sure to tell a doctor if I ever have to have one again. I think there is truth to the iodine builds up in your body.

I do love shrimp, but after this I am terrified to eat it again. (I still have teeth marks in my tongue)
ABSOLUTELY do not eat it again! That is definitely an allergy. You're probably also allergic to other shellfish, so I would avoid lobster, crab, etc. until you get an allergy test at an allergist (or an allergist/pulmonologist).

I hope you feel better!
DesperateLowCarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: walkthebeach
Stats: 159.5/153.0/135
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Oct. 2002 (low carbing) hHCG 4/11/11 R1P2
Oh, girllll-- you're playing with fire here. Don't eat shrimp again!
walkthebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 224/198.6/150
WOE: Atkins & Exercise
Start Date: Start Date: October 17,2011
[COLOR=darkorchid]DO NOT EAT SHRIMP AGAIN!!! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#9932cc]Don't eat any shell fish anymore. I would report this to your doctor. You may be able to get a prescription for an "epi" pen. It's an injection to use in case of emergency for allergic reactions like this. Tongue swelling...you are very lucky it wasnt your throat swelling shut. Please be carefull.[/COLOR]
DolphinsOnMyMind777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khewes View Post
That was totally an anaphylactic reaction to shrimp. Once you've had one, the subsequent ones tend to get worse. Stay away from the shrimp. Probably crabs too, their shells contain iodine as well.

She's right: subsequent reactions may be worse. My brother got bit by fire ants a few times and first time: regular reaction, second time: his foot swelled, and third time: he was rushed to the hospital because he couldn't breathe... See an allergist and get an epipen... Especially for eating out cause you never know when something might get mixed with your food, etc...
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #21

Thank you for all the replies. Why is it when we can't have something it becomes tempting? I walked past the shrimp today and thought about how tasty it is, then immediately thought about "what" might happen if I eat it!

I told my dh about the replies here. I wanted him to know, just in case I do have another reaction from something shrimp like. I won't intentionally eat it, but if it is hidden in something I've eaten or in some medical test, I wanted him to know. I will also talk with my doctor at my next visit.

I really appreciate your replies. I love the support of this forum!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #22
hay
Funfetti Freak

Gallery: hay
My dad is severely allergic to shellfish. This allergy just recently developed, he is 51. I would say it hit him full force probably about 5 years ago.
hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lynda99
An EpiPen could save your life. Seriously, get one. Some folks also develop an allergy to Tuna.
Lynda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
I used to eat shrimp all the time as a child. At one point in college, I developed what I would call and allergic reaction to shrimp (vomiting). I can eat any other shellfish, but not shrimp!

I did read something about the iodine connection recently and I am wondering about that. When I got sick in the past it was from canned shrimp (higher iodine content). Recently I tried some shrimp (just a few nibbles of fairly fresh shrimp) and had absolutely no reaction."The doctors told her that she was allergic to iodine. Iodine is found in shellfish like shrimp. " I heard that the less the fresh the shrimp is the more iodine that it would contain. And thus, a more severe a reaction.

I have never had a "swelling" episode, but I would highly suggest an epipen - it just makes sense. "An EpiPen could save your life. Seriously, get one. Some folks also develop an allergy to Tuna."

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #25

Gallery: xfatchik
Stats: size 22/4/4
WOE: Atkins ( 126 lbs gone! )
Start Date: June 9, 2003
I eat shrimp almost daily without probs but my ex was allergic to shellfish and would have a hard time breathing if he ate it by accident. (he also had asthma)
xfatchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:15 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gelarsen
Terrible itchy hands

Well now I know for sure I have acquired an allergy to shrimp. This is the second time my hands started itching terribly, four hours after eating a shrimp dinner. I suspected the problem six months ago when I had shrimp at a luncheon and woke up in the middle of the night with itchy hands that lasted for about two to three hours. Ar that time all I could do was drink lots of water to try to dilute the allergen out of my system. The symptom eventually went away and I was able to get some sleep. This time, besides itchy hands, my feet are also itching. I just took an antihistamine and am waiting for it to take effect. It's been almost an hour now and I think my itching is starting to subside a bit. It's 1:10 AM and I think I'll go back to bed and see if I can get some sleep. The bottom line here is: NO MORE SHRIMP FOR ME!
gelarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: silvergame12345
oh my goodness. i just got an allergic reaction today with shrimp. i thought i would just think its okay but i was swollen in the eye and bumps all over my face. i decided to got to CVS and get allergy medication. it will cause sleepiness< but hit gets the job done.
silvergame12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: baseballmom
Stats: 176/162.0/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 12/06/13
I was never allergic to shrimp till about 2 years ago...then one night we ate it and I broke out in huge hives all over my face neck and back....now I stay away from ALL seafood....I don't want to take any chances. It was very scary.
baseballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gammazach
Stats: 275/198.6/150
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 4/19/2011
Allergy to sea food can be very dangerous. If you are allergic to sea food and require a radiologic procedure that uses contrast ,some hospitals will premedicate the patient for a day or two before the exam if the patient must have the contrast for the procedure. Many facilities don't give the contrast to the patient if there is a history of allergies, to sea food,if there exam can be be useful for the information obtained without the contrast because of the seriousness of the reactions that may happen. Notation to the technologist about previous allergies should always be discussed with your provider of your exam.
gammazach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emtgrrrl
Stats: 285/285/185
WOE: Atkins Induction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Sun & A Chair View Post

Anaphylaxis is nothing to play with! I would HIGHLY suggest that you visit your doc for a prescription for an epi-pen and keep it within reach at all times. You never quite know when you are eating out, if your food may have been contaminated with an allergen.
Emtgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote