Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Juicing and carbs

I posted about juicing a while ago and several people mentioned that taking out the fiber would affect the carbs and that it's the fiber in the veggies that makes them low carb. I've been thinking about this and, tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think juicing affects carbs at all.

Say for example a carrot (and I'm just making up these numbers) is 10 carbs, 5 of those are fiber so, you would only count 5 carbs if you're eating the raw carrot right? Well, if you're juicing, you're removing the fiber so wouldn't you still be left with 5 carbs?

Juicing does take out the fiber but it doesn't somehow magically up your carbs. It would keep the carbs the same because eating the raw carrot, you're getting 10 carbs but you only count 5 and juicing removes 5 of the carbs that would be in the fiber, leaving you with a net of 5 carbs.

Or is my thought process wonky?

I personally only plan to juice lower carb foods - celery, cucumber, peppers, ginger with maybe 1/2 a carrot or apple to make it more palatable.

Losing weight is hard, but being fat is harder. Choose your hard.

Don't sit if you can stand. Don't stand if you can walk. Don't walk if you can run. Get Moving!

Last edited by WildflowerMama; 12-30-2007 at 03:30 PM..
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: anniemo
WOE: whole organic lc
i think you get the full impact of the carbs without the fiber. fiber slows the sugar through your system.
anniemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabfit
WOE: atkins
Start Date: jan 02,2007 @ 220, feb 02 -209, mar 2 - 205/ 202
That is true.. I had a physcian pal tell me the problem with orange juice is that once the fiber was removed it raises the blood sugar too quickly.. This is why diabetics are instructed to take oj a a "quick" fix when they are having a hypo(low)glycemic episode.

I would take a stabbing guess that while you may be left with only 5 carbs that it might dramatically effect the stability of your insulin production or blood U]evels[/U]. If this is the case imagine how that might backfire by stimulating hunger or worse.. sweet cravings...hmmm just an uneducated guess

Knowing and Wanting is no substituse for DOing. LORD help us to apply wisdom in all our doings
wannabfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
I think it is more complicated than that. I don't think subtracting the fiber, because most of it is removed by juicing would cause it to be the same carb count as when subtracting the fiber from the vegetable if you were to just eat it.

The fiber allows the carbs to pass on through therefore not allowing the carbs to get absorbed. If you are removing that fiber then you are allowing more carbs to be absorbed into your system.

To be on the safe side, when calculating the carbs on a "juiced" vegetable. I would probably count most of the carbs - if not all.

But that is based on a very unscientific theory.

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerMama View Post
I posted about juicing a while ago and several people mentioned that taking out the fiber would affect the carbs and that it's the fiber in the veggies that makes them low carb. I've been thinking about this and, tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think juicing affects carbs at all.

Say for example a carrot (and I'm just making up these numbers) is 10 carbs, 5 of those are fiber so, you would only count 5 carbs if you're eating the raw carrot right? Well, if you're juicing, you're removing the fiber so wouldn't you still be left with 5 carbs?

Juicing does take out the fiber but it doesn't somehow magically up your carbs. It would keep the carbs the same because eating the raw carrot, you're getting 10 carbs but you only count 5 and juicing removes 5 of the carbs that would be in the fiber, leaving you with a net of 5 carbs.

Or is my thought process wonky?

I personally only plan to juice lower carb foods - celery, cucumber, peppers, ginger with maybe 1/2 a carrot or apple to make it more palatable.
Without fiber you will be getting an insulin surge from the juice and this is what you want to avoid lc'ing. The sudden spike in insulin is what causes cravings and binges. I am reading Johnny Bowden's "Living the Low Carb Life" and in this he states that juice is not a health food. Also you can Google glycemic impact and glycemic load to help you understand.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
I'm trying Green Smoothies

Hi WildflowerMama,

Starting as soon as I get into Ketosis, I am going to try doing the whole greens and other veggies with some lower carb fruit in my vitamix. That way I get all the fiber. I was doing this when on Raw food only during the first 3 weeks of Dec. The fiber was certainly working in my system and these drinks satisfied my appetite for sure. But I'm not sure if I was ever in Ketosis and I simply didn't care for any of the Raw food recipes. I was using my dehydrator and all the Raw food cookbooks - I just don't think I can get used to the flavor of those foods. But I want to be healthy. I'll keep posting in January to let everyone know how this is going. Anyone else have more to say on this? I have 55 lbs. to lose and no matter what it takes, this year I have to lose it once and for all.
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:09 AM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: anniemo
WOE: whole organic lc
i'm drinking the green smoothies as well. just had my first this morning and love it. i blend to keep my fiber.
anniemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: speedymagee
Stats: highest176/now150/145ish
WOE: CAD
Not sure about the fibre.
Would adding a little flax/coconut/olive oil lessen the impact?
speedymagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
I'm a fan of the green smoothies too. They're so thick and filling.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Would you mind posting your green smoothie recipes?
Old 12-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I was going to write basically the same thing... the carbs will be the simple ones that are absorbed very quickly. And also, while you probably wouldn't eat 5 tomatoes, its actually quite easy to drink the juice from 5 tomatoes, meaning that you are drinking a more concentrated form of the sugars from that veggie.

Even worse for a fruit like an orange or apple, where one whole is a reasonably moderate load of carbs (sugars) combined with fiber to slow absorbtion. But the juice contains all the sugars, with no fiber, from several fruits...... you would probably not eat that much whole fruit in one sitting.

Thats why I prefer smoothies. The whole fruit is blended up with no missing parts.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:46 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedymagee View Post
Would you mind posting your green smoothie recipes?
Sure, here's my basic recipe:

1c frozen broccoli
2c spinach
1/2c fresh goat kefir or full fat fage yogurt
1/2-3/4c unsweetened almond breeze
1/4c frozen blueberries
1 raw egg (or some protein powder)
1-2 T sugar alcohols (erythritol and xylitol)
1-2 packets steviaplus
vanilla or maple extract

I play around with it depending on what veggies, cultured dairy products, and flavorings I have on hand. Fawn puts flax seed and aloe vera juice in her recipe.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

thanks jacksmixedtape!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
Oh! I'm not alone!

I just discovered how to find these responses quickly. (under the user control panel button). I am so happy to hear that others of you are having Green Smoothies too. I just received my "Green for Life" book from Boutenko and I found in it that it is just fine to combine fruit with greens. What a relief that was. So now I will wait to see if my body will still go into Ketosis in a few days. This morning I had 1 frozen banana and an apple in my smoothie along with swiss chard, kale, collard, 1/2 cuke, celery along with 2 cups of water all blended in the vitamix. It wasn't bad at all and it made 2 large glasses. I remember that at one time when I was doing fairly well on Atkins, I was able to get away with coffee/cream/honey as well as oatmeal/about 1 tbsp. raisins/cream/honey and sometimes even an orange and still be in Ketosis. So we'll see. All I know is I have to lose this weight soon, but I so want to feel well at the same time! Have a great day everyone and keep posting about this eh?
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dianeanderson56
blood sugar response to carbs

My 12 year old is type one diabetic. We determine how much insulin she gets based on a formula using her current blood sugar and the number of carbs she is eating at the given meal. That is all the carbs, not just the net carbs. Maybe counting net carbs works for someone who is just dieting, but for a diabetic, all the carbs count. And it is protein along with the carb that slows the absorption. Though the fiber probably is a factor in slowing the absorption too. But the carbs are absorbed non the less. They don't disappear just because you remove the fiber. Carrots have the same carb cooked or raw. Though absorption is different. And the fiber, lost in cooking, is very good for you.
I appreciate the info on juicing as I just started
doing it. I really like the green juices I have made so far, but have wondered about the carb issue in them. Seems a waste to discard the fiber. Today I made a pureed soup with the pulp left after juicing. I found this site because I was wondering about the carb in the pulp, trying to figure out what if any carb was in the soup for my daughter's sake.
dianeanderson56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
fortunately, i do not have to think about it.

I just do what Dr Atkins said. He said (in DANDR)that juicing fruits and veggies is too concentrated a carb source. Ergo, eat the veggie and the fruit(at the appropriate phase), and get the advantage of the fiber, which WILL slow the glycemic rush. Also, eat fat and protein with your fruit and/or veggie. Of course, not everyone doing low carb is doing ATKINS, but I am. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: silasgreenback
Stats: 6' 5" - 249/201/200
WOE: LC, mainly VLC.
Start Date: Sept 2011
The fibre slows down the absorption of the carbohydrate into the blood stream. This results in a slower release of glucose into the bloodstream and consequently a smaller insulin response. This smaller insulin response has a smaller effect on stopping fat burning (insulin stops release of FFAs as energy and switches to glucose).

It's important to realise that insulin circulates in the blood constantly. So a small amount of carbs will be taken up with little in the way of negative effect. A sudden increase though will promote a freater release of insulin and therefore a larger negative effect on ketosis.

In answer to your question 5 carbs absorded quickly could be provoke a greater insulin response due to their rapid release into the blood stream than 10 carbs incl fibre that are fed in slower. I don't know the absolute limit of toleration (and I presume this to be a highly individual thing), but I do recall from the Phinney Vollek book that 20g glucose is a typical blood glucose concentration and beyond this insulin ports glucose to Glycogen and once that store is full, to fat production.

John.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/197/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Another thing to consider is the numbers for the volume of food consumed.

The counts for 1 cup of juice are around double versus 1 cup of shredded carrots, for example.

1 cup shredded carrots:
45 calories, 10.54 grams carbs, 3.1 grams fiber = 7.44 net carbs

1 cup of carrot juice
94 calories, 21.9 grams carbs, 1.9 grams fiber = 20 net carbs

I'm not sure what interests you about juicing, but personally I don't think it is a good component of a low carb diet. It's just a big hit of sugar and water.

Fancy, expensive, sugar and water, but sugar and water nonetheless.

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote