Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Low carb juicing?

I got a juicer and would like to make some low carb drinks. Does anyone juice? If so, can you give me some tips on low carb combinations that don't taste like dirty gym socks? TIA
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Isn't lowcarb juice an oxymoron? When you juice you take out all the fiber and you are left with the fruit sugars. The fiber is what slows the digestion down and helps slow the insulin spike when you eat fruit-and still it is advised to eat fruit with a fat or protein to deal with the insulin spike situation further. Atkins Fruit Juice Carb Chart - Low Carb
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #3

Gallery: Rory
Stats: 20W/14M/8
Well maybe cabbage juice. Or Brussel Sprout juice. But then you still have a bunch of carbs with no fiber not to mention that smelly old sock taste problem.... hummm I admit to being stumped.
Rory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I occasionally make fresh tomato juice by putting tomatoes into the blender with a little salt and water... and then straining out the seeds with a seive. But I end up getting pretty much all of the pulp in there as well, which I think makes it healthier.

Perhaps some combo of tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, etc to make a V8 type drink?
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I was thinking more along the lines of veggies. I know celery, cucumber, parsley, red pepper and other greens are healthy and low carb but I was just wondering if anyone had a good combo or ratios that they've worked out.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:39 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Juicing takes out all of the fiber you need on this way of eating. It is better just to eat them. You'll get more of the nutrients.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:42 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
What about lower carb melons?
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I understand about the fiber - really I do. But, I still would like to juice so I'm ok with losing some of the fiber. I'm not severely restricting carbs anyway, so a little veggie juice isn't going to hurt me. Isn't it South Beach that allows V8 juice? It is possible to have healthy veggie juices even without the fiber. Anyway, for those who are interested, if found a couple lower carb recipes in an earlier post:
The 3 C's (Carrot, Celery, Cabbage)
3-4 Carrots
1-2 Celery stalks
Small wedge cabbage

Do You Like Peppers?
1 Green Pepper
1 Red Pepper
3 Celery stalks
1/2 Cucumber
5 Lettuce leaves

Veggie 8
1/2 Tomato
1/4 Cucumber
1 Carrot
1 Celery stalk
1 Handful Spinach
1/2 Red Pepper
1/2 Cup Cabbage
1 Green Onion

Losing weight is hard, but being fat is harder. Choose your hard.

Don't sit if you can stand. Don't stand if you can walk. Don't walk if you can run. Get Moving!
Old 12-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Where is Fawn? Well, Mexico, I know, but she could still get in here and sell her "green smoothie"

You might want to either search "green smoothie" "smoothie" or even Fawn's name and you should come up with something. She makes a smoothie with all kinds of veggies. She uses a blender, I believe, but I would think that a juicer would work as well.

I can not recommend this smoothie since I don't have enough guts to try it and I can't be talked into it either
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: desertholly
Stats: 235.8/223.2/174.6
WOE: My Way
I actually plan to use my juicer to grind up carrots and celery and then add it back into the juice, except for the celery strings. It will mince them up much smaller than anything else I have.
desertholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
i think you just have to experiment w the various lc vegies and taste til you find the combos that suit you. taste is so individual.
cukes are the most bland so that is a good base. then celery.
instead of adding sweets fruits/vegies to make it more palatable, just add a dash of stevia.
if you want a little zing w/o the cabbage flavor, try radishes. also use up your broccoli stems, etc.
i find kale to be too bitter but you may not. watch out for the dinasaur variety....really strong.
just start w small amouts of the stronger vegies and go from there.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Deb

Gallery: Deb
I juice most weeks monday/wed/friday..i love it

cant say it is low carb because i was always taught to mix my veggies or fruit with either carrot or apple juice ( Juice man Jay )

for veggie juice my fave is apple/carrot/parsley/cellery/beet
Deb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #13

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
My good friend juices and she lost 25 lbs in 4 months by subsituting juice for a meal and snack and having an LC Lunch and Dinner. She mixes her juices with fruits and veggies. She has that Jack La Lane Juicer that takes everything into the juice...seeds, skin and all.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeanLioness
Stats: 250/205/130 (-45 since Feb)
WOE: PBP / Paleo combined with IF
Start Date: Last restart: 02/06/2011
I have been doing veggies and fruits in my blender and I make a concoction similar to Fawns green smoothie............

I have that for breakfast, mid-morning snack, eat a green salad with cheese for lunch and then more green smoothie for afternoon snack........

Eat protein and green veggie for supper and I am losing pretty good again.

Need to update my stats.

I asked for a juicer for my birthday next week.
LeanLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
What about Wheatgrass?
Wheatgrass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: harv681
Stats: 150/122/118
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: October 2010
Juicing day 3

I make a liter of green juice with one cucumber, three stalks celery, 1/2pound carrots, 1/2 pound kale, one bunch parsely, a bit of ginger, 2 cups pineapple, 1/2 apple and 1/2 of a lime. I drink it over crushed ice throughout the day, as my breakfast and as a snack replacement. I chose the ingredients for their anti-inflammatory properties, and the apple and lime to make it more palatable. I feel fine, but am waiting to see what it does in terms of my weight.
harv681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joy61
Low carb green juice

First, I use a slow masticating juicer. This means I do get a lot of fiber in my juice.

I just can't drink my green juice without a little sweetness yet, so here is what I make.

10 oz bag of spinach leaves
Large cucumber
3 long (7-8 inches with leaves if there are any) celery stalks
2 leaves of kale
1/2 cup chopped jicama (I cut it up because it is easier on my juicer)
Just a little lemon juice

If it is not sweet enough, I sometime juice a 1/4 cup fresh coconut shavings.
Joy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
For less than 100 dollars you can get a Nutribullet and it's a lot simpler on prep and cleanup than a "real" juicer. That's what I have. It's good for beginners especially if you don't know whether or not you'll stick with it.

I do NOT like the taste of ANY of the recipes I have made, but the one I keep coming back to, simply for health benefits mind you, is 2 handfuls of organic baby spinach, a SMALL handful of berries (like strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries), a tablespoon of flax seeds (or oil) and water to the fill line.

I've done broccoli and carrots. YUCK. The fiber makes the drink thick and yucky. I don't care for celery in juice form AT ALL. Asparagus is OK but not great.

I haven't tried any higher carb fruits like apples, oranges, or bananas. Tropical fruit blend from the freezer section tastes good, but once you put the spinach in, it kinda ruins it. And without the spinach, well, you might as well just make a smoothie and be done with it. Not much health benefit without the greens. I've also used baby kale in place of spinach and I can't tell much of a taste difference.

There's a TON of different fruits and vegetables you can try, so I say just explore the produce section and find what works for you. If you are concerned about carb counts, you can use less fruit and still come in at around 5 carbs or less per serving. I find it simpler and easier to drink my antioxidants and be done with it than to eat the foods whole, so that's why I do it.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gardner
IMC
I just joined today and have been doing a lot of research.
I have been using the nutribullet for breakfast for 4 months using kale and fruits and chia seeds.
I need to find fruits low in carbs and oxolates. I can't use kale now either b/c of intercisterial cystitis. I guess spinach will work. Any help you can give this newbie will be appreciated. Do you get a email alert when someone answers?
Thanks
Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I juice vegetables and add stevia and lemon instead of a lot of fruit for sweetness.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner View Post
IMC
I just joined today and have been doing a lot of research.
I have been using the nutribullet for breakfast for 4 months using kale and fruits and chia seeds.
I need to find fruits low in carbs and oxolates. I can't use kale now either b/c of intercisterial cystitis. I guess spinach will work. Any help you can give this newbie will be appreciated. Do you get a email alert when someone answers?
Thanks
I don't know if you actually need the fruit or not, but the Nutribullet booklet says a 50/50 mix of greens and fruit. I suppose berries are rich in antioxidants and I'm scared of cancer (who isn't) so I throw in a small handful of berries. I would love some pineapple or mango or orange in there to help the taste, but it's too much sugar and carbs.

Strawberries are generally considered to be 1 gram of carb each. Blueberries have the most antioxidants and are considered "super food." I really don't like berries because of the seeds, but I chug it down anyway even though the seeds from the berries and the flax gross me out.

I like chia seeds better than flax, but chia gives off it's "gel" and makes the drink thick and I don't like it thick. So far I have not had one Nutriblast that I thought was tasty, I take it like a dose of medicine because I really don't eat that many vegetables or fruit otherwise.

PS- IDK if you get an e-mail alert. I don't, but you might have your account set up differently.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

So today I had half a box of organic spinach that was not going to be used before it went bad. So I had the idea of blending it in the Nutribullet with some water and freezing it in ice cube trays. Has anybody else tried this?

IDK if the Nutribullet can handle frozen "spinach cubes" or if it can, if it's bad for the blade. I could put a few of them in a glass and let them thaw out overnight in the fridge and then they'd be ready to go in the morning.

As I was doing this, I noticed what a BRIGHT, VIBRANT green drink I had made. It looks like cancer prevention in a glass. Since I really despise the taste with or without fruit, and fruit has mucho carbs, I was wondering if I should just drink a concentrated "shot" of pure spinach every day. One (relatively) painless gulp and it's over with. Some might say....are you insane, that's what spinach salad is for. But I really don't like raw greens, I just want to be healthy. These are just some ideas I had. Everybody feel free to chime in with your ideas.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
I've juiced... with mine I'm basically stuck with lots of celery to keep the juice moving and i throw in a few leaves of others. Cooking vegetables destroys all the enzymes along with many nutrients anyway. Canned vegetables are garbage. I rather juice a pound of spinach and down it rather than sit there forever chewing a pound of raw spinach. I actually like spinach juice..maybe it's an acquired taste you get used to. Lettuce and kale juice.. gross.

Fiber isn't an issue if you're getting it elsewhere and aren't having bathroom problems. Juice still contains some slivers of pulpy fiber unless you strain it to death anyway.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UghNowWhat View Post
I've juiced... with mine I'm basically stuck with lots of celery to keep the juice moving and i throw in a few leaves of others. Cooking vegetables destroys all the enzymes along with many nutrients anyway. Canned vegetables are garbage. I rather juice a pound of spinach and down it rather than sit there forever chewing a pound of raw spinach. I actually like spinach juice..maybe it's an acquired taste you get used to. Lettuce and kale juice.. gross.

Fiber isn't an issue if you're getting it elsewhere and aren't having bathroom problems. Juice still contains some slivers of pulpy fiber unless you strain it to death anyway.
Exactly! Boiled eggs, bacon, and cheddar cheese can make a decent spinach salad. I can eat that if I have to, but I'd rather just drink it and go on. LOL.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Depends on what you consider 'low carb'. There are people here who eat 100gm of carbs a day and consider it low carb...which, considering the bigger (no pun intended) part of our population eats over 300gm a day, it might be. On that, you could easily juice and use the lower carb fruits as a 'sweetener' to a mainly vegie juice. If you're doing under 50gm, it might be tough because some of the things mentioned here - carrots, tomatoes, fruits - aren't low enough carb when you consider how many drinks you're going to go through in a day.

I tried juicing years ago and I guess I never got why I would want to drink a glass of juice as a meal replacement when it wasn't going to fill me up or keep me going to my next meal. For less calories and carbs, I could've eaten the raw or steamed whole vegies.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GetFit
WOE: Atkins
Nutribullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentesabove 847
Juicing takes out all of the fiber you need on this way of eating. It is better just to eat them. You'll get more of the nutrients.
I bought the Nutribullet Pro. Love it. You do get every bit of fiber with this one because nothing is tossed out.

I read a post somewhere on here that it leaks. But, that only happens if you fill it above the maximum fill line. The instruction manual specifically mentions this.

The pro model is about $150. Bought mine at Bed Bath Beyond with a 20% off coupon and saved $30. If you want to spend less, you can get the first model for around $50-60 now (lower wattage but still good).
GetFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: paid4c4
I just want to follow the thread. We have a Vitamix that I'd like to use for vegetable justice.
Bill
paid4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerMama View Post
I got a juicer and would like to make some low carb drinks. Does anyone juice? If so, can you give me some tips on low carb combinations that don't taste like dirty gym socks? TIA
Lemons, sweetened with stevia. But I don't juice em, I just peel em and blend them up in my Vita mixer. So I get the benefit of the fiber as well. Add ice and you have some really good low carb lemonade. Good detoxer too

GoBahnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elgar
Stats: 182/170/150
WOE: HCG-2, Juicing & LC
Start Date: May 2013 (restart)
My favourite recipes are below. I first used a Vitamixer and squeezed about half the juice through cheese cloth to get out some of the thickness. But I now have a juicer, and what I do is take about 1 cup of the pulp and add it back into the juice and run it through the Vitamixer with about a cup or so of water. I end up with 4 servings of juice doing it this way.

Mean Green
1 Bulk of kale
4 Stalks of celery
1 Cucumber
2 granny smith apples
˝ lemon
Ginger root (thumb sized)
(or 2 cucumbers & 1 apple)

Carrot-Kale Combo
1 Green Apple
3 Handfuls spinach
6-8 Kale Leaves
4 Large Carrots
1 Piece Ginger (thumb sized)

Green Lemonade
1 Green Apple
3 Handfuls Spinach
6-8 Kale Leaves
˝ Cucumber
4 Celery Stalks
˝ Lemon

Better than V-8 Juice
Ingredients
3 Small heads romaine lettuce
1 bunch parsley
1 small celery stalk
1 cucumber
1/2 bunch radish
2 tomatoes
1 lemon without skin
1-2 garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Tossed Salad (my own creation)
Small or half a large head of romaine
Large handful of spinach
3 - 4 kales leaves
large cucumber
2-3 stalks celery
˝ bell pepper (I use yellow if I have it)
3 Roma tomatoes
1 -2 carrots
1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
Salt – pepper to taste
Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote