Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 69
Gallery: Its Time
Stats: 375/355/250 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2007
Milk on Atkins

Milk is one of my favorite things and was wondering how or if milk is allowed on the atkins diet.

If it isn't, what can i have to satisfy my milk cravings?
Its Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,313
Gallery: ItsTheWooo
Stats: 280/118 (5'5)
WOE: Maintain with <60 carbs average and watching cals
Start Date: March 2003
Milk... depends on your sensitivity. If you KNOW you have bigtime carb problems (that is, you make too much insuiln too quickly, your blood sugar rises too fast, or you have profound insulin resistance) then likely you should expect not to drink much if any milk int hte future.
Milk is actually, carb for carb, worse than orange juice... it spikes faster, and requires more insulin. Especially low fat/no fat varieties.

Good news is there are may milk replacements.

In order of most stabilizing:

1) Almond Breeze
2) Soy Slender vanilla
3) Cream diluted in water
4) Half and half diluted in water
5) Hood calorie countdown (although this tends to mess me up a bit it is still much better than milk)
ItsTheWooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Hot Tamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chaos Ave. & Stress Blvd.
Posts: 5,934
Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I use cream with some water sometimes... That, and the occasional drink of milk. Good Luck! Milk is one of my favorites, too, but since I don't eat cereal anymore it isn't as hard as it once was.
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!
 
AllieCat0817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southeastern Coastal SC
Posts: 11,950
Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
If you haven't yet, read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution from cover to cover. He spells out what are the best foods, and also explains why so you have a great understanding for yourself. Good luck.
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
kar_kar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 336
Gallery: kar_kar
WOE: F-5/LC/whole foods
Start Date: 7/23/2007
How does whole milk spike insulin faster than OJ?
kar_kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ny_shelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, NY but originally from Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,667
Gallery: ny_shelly
Stats: 320.4/312.2/135 ~ 5'6"
WOE: Dukan Diet
Start Date: 8/26/11 Day 1
Milk has a ton of sugar. I drank 4 oz of milk once and was up 4 lbs the next day and stalled for one week.

I really hope you read the DANDR book soon so you can have ultimate success, especially during induction.

You probably won't even miss milk after being on Atkins for awhile.
ny_shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,620
Gallery: fluffybear2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo View Post
Milk... depends on your sensitivity. If you KNOW you have bigtime carb problems (that is, you make too much insuiln too quickly, your blood sugar rises too fast, or you have profound insulin resistance) then likely you should expect not to drink much if any milk int hte future.
Milk is actually, carb for carb, worse than orange juice... it spikes faster, and requires more insulin. Especially low fat/no fat varieties.

Good news is there are may milk replacements.

In order of most stabilizing:

1) Almond Breeze
2) Soy Slender vanilla
3) Cream diluted in water
4) Half and half diluted in water
5) Hood calorie countdown (although this tends to mess me up a bit it is still much better than milk)

Regular milk, 2%, 1% and skim milk are too high in carbs. Hood used to make a product called Carb Countdown but I don't think they make it anymore. However, you can always water down cream and see how you like it. Just a thought.
fluffybear2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!
 
2big4mysize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,307
Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
try giving it up cold turkey for ther fastest way clear of it. You are going to be surprised at how your wants change as you low carb. bread, diet coke and milk were my 3 biggies going into the plan but I have been milk drinking free for 5 yrs now and can honestly say I don't want nor need a glass of milk any more. I get my dairy in cheese, cream, yogurt, and sour cream and don't need milk or any milk sub on my cereal now.

Happy low carbing
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!
 
CurlsNCuffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11,456
Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003


Please read the book - you want to kill your cravings - not feed them!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 69
Gallery: Its Time
Stats: 375/355/250 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2007
Good information, thanks everyone!

I realize that there are things i will have to give up, some will be easy, some will be hard. Sadly milk will be hard, but as mentioned, it should pass.

I am reading though about low carb cheese cake. That is a GOD SEND to me!!!
Its Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 69
Gallery: Its Time
Stats: 375/355/250 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2007
For sure, I read the book a while ago, but some things are slipping my mind. Gonna have to crack it open again tonight and refresh my memory
Its Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
24Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,645
Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
I don't drink milk but you know what satisfies my craving for milk? Whey protein shakes. They actuallly make me a bit sleepy, like milk always did to me LOL. I flavor and add splenda.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
Gallery: MagPie
I'm pretty sure I gained all my extra weight from milk. I don't like to take the time to eat breakfast and lunch. All these years I would just drink some milk to stop the hunger pains. Living on a dairy farm didn't help. I drank lots of milk every day. DH and I also noticed that if we drank milk in the evening, we would wake up with stronger hunger pains than usual. Even though I knew that baby calves gained weight on milk, I loved it too much to consider giving it up.

I've been on low carb for a couple of months now and have only had 8 oz. of milk in all that time. I force myself to take time to have a nice breakfast and lunch. I've also started drinking coffee recently and add cream to it. That helps me to not miss milk so much. I never could have imagined that I would have gone this long without that fabulous milk.
MagPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Stevie Renee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,003
Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo View Post
Milk is actually, carb for carb, worse than orange juice... it spikes faster, and requires more insulin. Especially low fat/no fat varieties.
That is major bad news. I love skim milk. Bummer
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:46 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: London
Posts: 81
Gallery: harasteb
Stats: 150/150/120, 5ft 2"
WOE: SouthBeach
Start Date: September 20th 2007
If you like milk and your skinny cappucinos- why not try southbeach instead of Atkins. I felt deprived on atkins as cream was not always available in cafes and so I switched to South beach - purely because of milk!!
Because you eat lower fat- you can have more carbs but in fact I actually found that I can drink skimmed milk everyday and still be in ketosis so it has worked out well...
harasteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 31
Gallery: wheatfree
Stats: 175/139/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2006
If you are past Induction, you may be able to have yogurt, depending on your reaction to it. Before you say, Ugh!, I don't want yogurt!, you have to try Greek high fat yogurt. There is a brand called Fage that sells a yogurt called Total (beware of the lower fat ones). I think it has 7 carbs for a whole cup (please check this as I don't have it in front of me) and believe me, it is hard to eat a whole cup, it is so rich. I have half a cup with strawberries and Splenda and it satisfies my milk and ice cream cravings. I get it at Trader Joe's.
wheatfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,313
Gallery: ItsTheWooo
Stats: 280/118 (5'5)
WOE: Maintain with <60 carbs average and watching cals
Start Date: March 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_kar View Post
How does whole milk spike insulin faster than OJ?
I'm not SO SURE on whole milk, but I do know a major reason milk spikes blood sugar is because it seems to impair insulin signalling. Sugar tends to increase, and insulin levels increase fairly dramatically (when such things are measured in studies). This makes sense if we consider that milk itself is intended to promote growth in immature cows. In utero, the placenta secretes numerous hormones which increase maternal insulin resistance (progesterone, hpl); why? Because, our genes are programmed around a time when agriculture didn't exist, so insulin resistance during pregnancy meant a HUGE advantage. Insulin resistance in a low carb world means more sugar and fuel for growth; more sugar means more insulin and more insulin means more growth hormone and less health-retarding stress hormones. And all of this means your baby is bigger, stronger, and has a better chance for survival than the baby who's placenta didn't make you insulin resistant. And that translates into a selected genetic trait (that things which nourish embryonic/fetal/neonatal mammals should be things that are likely NOT GOOD for us in a post agricultural world with abundant sugars).

Or the short story: It is likely that there are chemicals in milk which can help enhance blood sugar, insulin levels, thus favorably affecting growth hormone while suppressing cortisol (remember: insulin is essential for growth; it is only when there is pathological insulin levels and gross resistance to it will we see the opposite situation of excessive cortisol and insufficient growth hormone).

This, then, helps to explain why milk increases blood sugar (and insulin) better than does orange juice.

Skim is obviously better than whole milk (for spiking sugar) because the buffering effect of fat is lost.
ItsTheWooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 377
Gallery: nosugar
Stats: 160/140/115
WOE: low carb non processed
Start Date: 10/27/07
Woo - that was an excellent response! Does the same apply for raw milk? - Do the live enzymes and high fat slow any of the insulin response?
nosugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member
 
ginbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central PA
Posts: 434
Gallery: ginbak
Stats: 224 / 191.5 /mini goal 175 / 157
WOE: Low carb, low-ish calorie. No junk.
Start Date: Back again Jan 26, 2007
I miss my skim milk. Not too much, but its one of the things I do crave and miss.

Its weird too - because my mother was an anti-milk person. She was probably one of the first out there that advocated milk was for babies only and that after age 2, people shouldn't drink it anymore. We were never given milk. Water and Kool-aid for us kids. But she did allow us to have our skim milk when we were older - for cereal, mostly.

But, then... she didn't like milk.
ginbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member
 
Guy Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Bay Area, California
Posts: 69
Gallery: Guy Duke
Stats: 6' 8" 336/280/245
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 07/11/07
I love milk but not on it's own! With pancakes and cookies and cake! Since I gave those up anyway, no issues!
Guy Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,313
Gallery: ItsTheWooo
Stats: 280/118 (5'5)
WOE: Maintain with <60 carbs average and watching cals
Start Date: March 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosugar View Post
Woo - that was an excellent response! Does the same apply for raw milk? - Do the live enzymes and high fat slow any of the insulin response?
Well the study(s) I have seen did not involve raw milk, and it was hypothesized that the milk-producing (i.e. insulin-resistance causing) hormones given to maket he cows produce a lot of milk were the major reasons milk has been associated with hormone-related problems (cancer, acne, blood sugar/insulin issues)

Raw milk likely also contains these hormones (lactating cows make them after all), although the quantity is much smaller (because they are not incredibly high, because raw milk is likely produced from cows who birthed calves rather than cows who have been injected with syntehtic pregnancy hormones to pour milk out of their utters like crazy).

It all depends on your tolerance, eh? If you can tolerate raw milk (or whole, or skim for that matter) go ahead and go crazy :thumbup: . I take small amounts of cream, and milk alternatives, because I find any kind of milk just isn't good for my blood sugar... even the very low carb milks... I'm just silly sensitive to such things that trigger fattening. Soy slender is very nice, so is unsweetened almond dream, I'll take it
ItsTheWooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:28 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
slh72454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Paragould, Arkansas
Posts: 4,362
Gallery: slh72454
Stats: 310/225/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart August 20th 2012
I miss milk. I could drink a gallon of it in a day, I just love the stuff. It's not so bad when I don't keep it around but recently my brother decided he wanted to eat ceral all the time so there in my fridge sets a pretty little container and it looks so appealing whenever I go to grab my SF jello, lol.
slh72454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:42 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member
 
Marvelissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 453
Gallery: Marvelissa
Stats: 206/194/140
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 9/8/07, Quit Jan '08, Restart 10/7/08
I'm totally with GuyDuke on this one - I used to think that going Atkins was going to be extremely difficult because of giving up the milk - but I quickly realized that when I wasn't eating cookies, cakes, brownies, pancakes and candy - I had nothing to drink milk with!

After I finish my reinduction, I am so on my way to Trader Joe's to try that high fat greek yogurt!
Marvelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 AM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Kissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 18,863
Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
A little skimmed milk in my coffee is the first thing I introduced after induction. It has never been a problem.

Now that I do maintainance I even have cappuccinos now and again.

I only use organic milk at home.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!
 
yvonne326's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 20,190
Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
I drank a little bit of skim milk if I really wanted it. Never posed a problem. I also did the 1/2 & 1/2 mixed with water and that worked too. This time, however, I will wait to drink milk ... really want to "follow by the book".
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:12 AM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Stevie Renee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,003
Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
So true Guy Duke.


Ok Woo, any negative info in natural peanut butter?! lol....skim milk and pnb are my 2 food items I miss and want.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #27
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,313
Gallery: ItsTheWooo
Stats: 280/118 (5'5)
WOE: Maintain with <60 carbs average and watching cals
Start Date: March 2003
Regarding weight control PB rocks. It's one of those rare foods that both keeps blood sugar down (if it is too high) as well as brings it up well (if it is too low).
PB is a blood sugar superstar, and unlike other nuts/seeds its heavily monosaturated (so it is a little more resistant to damage from light and heat).
Also good about PB is that it has a nice bit of protein, because it is a legume. True it's not a large amount or very high quality, but it's rare to have a plant food that is both very high in fat, high in pro, AND very low in carb.

PB is my friend.. Funny thing I didn't start liking it till I did low carb... probably because it wasnt until low carb that I had real natural PB. I hated the jiffy kind, all waxy and what not (and, on sandwiches, there was always waaay too much pb and jam... I like just a thin coating thanx)

Last edited by ItsTheWooo; 10-25-2007 at 11:42 AM..
ItsTheWooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Stevie Renee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,003
Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo View Post
Regarding weight control PB rocks. It's one of those rare foods that both keeps blood sugar down (if it is too high) as well as brings it up well (if it is too low).
PB is a blood sugar superstar, and unlike other nuts/seeds its heavily monosaturated (so it is a little more resistant to damage from light and heat).
Also good about PB is that it has a nice bit of protein, because it is a legume. True it's not a large amount or very high quality, but it's rare to have a plant food that is both very high in fat, high in pro, AND very low in carb.

PB is my friend.. Funny thing I didn't start liking it till I did low carb... probably because it wasnt until low carb that I had real natural PB. I hated the jiffy kind, all waxy and what not (and, on sandwiches, there was always waaay too much pb and jam... I like just a thin coating thanx)
Yeah! I was afraid to come back and read your reply. lol...Trader Joes has the best pnb ever. lol

Thanks Woo - always a pleasure and mini education when I read your posts.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member
 
lcbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 258
Gallery: lcbeck
Stats: 340/247/199 I'm 6'4 249/199 restart 9/09/10
WOE: Atkins/SB/Stella Style
Start Date: 6/15/2007 (340) 6/15/2008 (225) 04/27/2009 (199)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear2 View Post
Regular milk, 2%, 1% and skim milk are too high in carbs. Hood used to make a product called Carb Countdown but I don't think they make it anymore. However, you can always water down cream and see how you like it. Just a thought.
I can still find Carb Countdown at Super Walmart and Rainbow Foods in Minnesnowta. (2%, Fat Free, and Chocolate varieties)
lcbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
epix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 3,506
Gallery: epix
Stats: 426/205/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2004
Only place I find the Carb Countdown milk is Walmart too.. but they also have a chocolate carb countdown milk that is very yummy!
epix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.