Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 06:05 AM   #31
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
Which kind is the one that doesn't taste like cocnut? I just can't get passed the taste

Never mind I read the post above.... so I would need the regular, not Virgin
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #32
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: My_Sharona
Stats: HEALTHY
WOE: Organic Atkins & Exercise
Start Date: For Life!
I buy and cook with Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil that does not have that coconut smell to it, yet it contains the same healthy fatty acids as virgin coconut oil.

I do love to use the VCO for my tea and Coconut Bark
My_Sharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I bought some of the Rexall coconut oil at Wal-Mart today too. It's very tasty and has a wonderful coconut aroma. It's quite solid and pure white. I ate a couple of spoonfuls and I like how it melts in my mouth. I love the flavor of coconut so I could easily eat this by the spoonful. This is my first time trying coconut oil so I have no idea how the flavor compares to other brands.

The price is a little cheaper per ounce than the smallest container of Nutiva at Netrition but more expensive per ounce than the larger containers of Nutiva. If you factor in shipping, the Wal-Mart coconut oil is a pretty good deal.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #34

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I bought some of the Rexall coconut oil at Wal-Mart today too. It's very tasty and has a wonderful coconut aroma. It's quite solid and pure white. I ate a couple of spoonfuls and I like how it melts in my mouth. I love the flavor of coconut so I could easily eat this by the spoonful. This is my first time trying coconut oil so I have no idea how the flavor compares to other brands.

The price is a little cheaper per ounce than the smallest container of Nutiva at Netrition but more expensive per ounce than the larger containers of Nutiva. If you factor in shipping, the Wal-Mart coconut oil is a pretty good deal.
This is Good to know!! Thanks, LindaSue.

Now, Girl.... You simply MUST play around with the Coconut oil bark!!

Do a search on it and you'll get some Ideas. I just bet you come up with a Killer new recipe or Ideas.

I make mine with the Coconut oil (melted) liquid Stevia, cocoa powder, sugar free coconut and chopped up almonds. It's AWESOME. You just put it in the fridge or freezer (to turn it back into a solid) Then break it up like candy bark. You store it in the fridge to keep it in the solid form.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
This is Good to know!! Thanks, LindaSue.

Now, Girl.... You simply MUST play around with the Coconut oil bark!!

Do a search on it and you'll get some Ideas. I just bet you come up with a Killer new recipe or Ideas.

I make mine with the Coconut oil (melted) liquid Stevia, cocoa powder, sugar free coconut and chopped up almonds. It's AWESOME. You just put it in the fridge or freezer (to turn it back into a solid) Then break it up like candy bark. You store it in the fridge to keep it in the solid form.
Tooter, can you give me some quantities? I've got all of those ingredients on hand. Yesterday I tried this recipe: Coconut Fudge. I liked the consistency but I wasn't crazy about peanut butter and coconut together. I also didn't make it sweet enough. I'm not sure why the author called it fudge. It was more like bark. It was very crisp once it had frozen.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:29 AM   #36

Quote:
Tooter, can you give me some quantities? I've got all of those ingredients on hand. Yesterday I tried this recipe: Coconut Fudge. I liked the consistency but I wasn't crazy about peanut butter and coconut together. I also didn't make it sweet enough. I'm not sure why the author called it fudge. It was more like bark. It was very crisp once it had frozen.
Gosh, I started out using one of the recipes on here, but then soon doubled, tripled and just went by "Taste" and "Feel". I kinda just throw it all together now with no measurements.

I think this is the orginal one I based it on:

coconut bark

4 Tb. CO
1 - 1.5 Tb cocoa
Stevia --but I used 4 packets of Splenda
2 oz nuts Optional

This would give you an idea of what it's like and you would also get ideas on how to "Tweak" it to your liking. I Hope this helped.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #37

Linda Sue, I just read the recipe you tried and it seems very similar. You'll just have to play with the amounts and types of flavoring.

Also, some times it helps to add vanilla to it. It kinda helps balance out flavors. Think of lots of sweet recipes that add vanilla extract to them, including chocolate recipes.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #38

I just wanted to add to this thread. Coconut oil is great as a lotion on your body (you all have heard this before) But the very BEST thing it's good for is as a lotion after you have shaved your legs (Or anything else). You will not get razor burns and those ugly blemishes and bumps.

I couldn't BELIEVE IT!! Heck, I would buy the stuff just for this even if it didn't do everything else. I had tried EVERYTHING to not get the nasty looking razor rash, nothing worked except this.

Just a little "Tip" for ya that might help.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:03 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Poochie
Stats: 267/192
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Start over 3/5/11
I use coconut oil in my coffee in the morning.
Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #40

Thanks, Tooter. I did try something similar to your recipe but without the nuts this morning. I used Splenda and it is so bitter I can hardly eat it. Maybe I used too much. I used the equivalent of a cup of sugar. It really irks me that we can't use Splenda to sweeten chocolate. I've heard that stevia has the same problem with chocolate too. Have you found that to be the case?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:55 AM   #41

Quote:
Thanks, Tooter. I did try something similar to your recipe but without the nuts this morning. I used Splenda and it is so bitter I can hardly eat it. Maybe I used too much. I used the equivalent of a cup of sugar. It really irks me that we can't use Splenda to sweeten chocolate. I've heard that stevia has the same problem with chocolate too. Have you found that to be the case?
YES! It took me awhile to get used to the Stevia and to Play with the amount and taste. I like it now. Maybe I just got used to the taste or I'm using the right amount now?

Maybe try a Mixture of sweetners?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CheekyMnky
I prefer Natures Way EfaGold Virgin Coconut Oil over Nutiva's name brand.

Quote:
I guess it's worth a look next time I go there. I'm usually pretty good about spotting things like that and I hadn't noticed it.
Virgin v. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Don't be mislead by the term "extra virgin" when used in conjunction with coconut oil. This term is borrowed from the olive oil industry and there is no such product or existing standard that can be applied to coconut oil production. If you see the term "extra virgin" be assured that it is simply a marketing ploy to encourage you to believe that the oil has something more to offer than virgin coconut oil.

Coconut Oil Capsules
There are a number of companies now selling coconut oil capsules. In many cases it is recommended that people consume 2 - 4 tablespoons of coconut oil per day. This would equate to a very large number of capsules if you wish to obtain a therapeutic dose as the capsules only contain a few drops of coconut oil.
CheekyMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #43

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Very OLD thread - and this is your first post?
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #44
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: DiSa
Stats: 193/190/160
WOE: LC - 90 Day Blitz Challenge
Start Date: 6/28/2010
I've always found it in the vitamin section at WM and in alphabetical order??? I have it in my coffee.
DiSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlsNCuffs View Post
Confuses me too.
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #46
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Ok, I knew they had coconut oil (the cheap, nasty stuff) there in the food/oil section of walmart. That's the stuff you don't want to try for the benefits of coconut oil.

Yesterday I was at wal-mart and went to the vitamin section to pick up a new bottle of Biotin. The way they have everything organized (or NOT organized) seems like it takes me forever to actually "see" and "find" what I am looking for. So, as I was scanning the shelves, I was surprised to see a Jar of "Virgin Coconut oil" in the vitamin section. It looked kinda generic (didn't recognize the brand name) but did tout all the benefits of eating it and cooking with it. It was about $9 for the Jar. I didn't take anymore notice of it, because I buy (and Like) Nutiva.

I guess I wanted to mention it and give a "heads up" to those who might want to try coconut oil. It's an option you could try.
YEA, I saw this too the last time I was there. The price is good, but my local Vitamin Shoppe has it for a better price and it's the Spectrum brand I love.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tina1973
Stats: 294/284.2/1something
WOE: JUDDD 490/2450
Start Date: latest restart 10/1/13
It always confuses me when people drag up old threads like
tina1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #48

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
I miss Tooter
TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLoser View Post
I miss Tooter
That was my first thought too. Hope she's doing well and is still happily zero carbing it.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
I was searching for a recipe and found Tooter's name. Her last post was in April 2009?! Where is she? Hope everything's okay.
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #51
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
From what I've read, if it doesn't say "virgin" on the label it has been refined. Refining removes the good properties and can damage the oils and create trans fats. The same is apparently true of the light olive oils that aren't extra virgin. The healthful properties are destroyed during the refining process.
Thanks for this LindaSue. I have been trying to figure out why the $$ difference and if it made a difference. Now I know why!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #52
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Tooter is posting at a different board and has been faring fine.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lynda99
Since this thread has been dug up from the dead:

Do you have dry, long, bleached, or frizzy hair?

Coconut Oil is the most awesome hair (and skin) treatment. I'm sitting here right now with my waist-length hair soaked in it. I love the smell. I'll sleep in a shower cap and shampoo in the morning. Then I'll put a bit of coconut oil back on the ends, and last, a bit of silicone hair product.

Works great.
Lynda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Qsmum
Stats: 388/297/225
WOE: Atkins - self modified
Start Date: May 1-22, 2010/restart June 1, 2010
Quote:
LindaSue, you are a very smart woman with alot of information, but... Do you really think the people working at Wal-mart know this? Heck, I had no clue.

No, I think they just throw other supplements that they don't know what to do with "Anywhere" in the vitamin/supplement sections. lol
If you have ever noticed, nothing is in the exact same place for more than 3 months at Walmart. It can still be on the same shelf, but placed at the end or to the left, etc. This is acutally a marketing tool. Had friends that worked at Walmart. If you have to look for the one thing you came in to buy, and you can still find it (you start to doubt yourself on exactly where it was located if it is only a bit off from where you thought) you are more likely to pick up something else. So you buy more when they move it a little bit!
Qsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add that I bought the rexall kind in the white tub at Walmart, and it was wonderful. Good enough to eat with a spoon and was pure white with a clean, coconutty taste.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlsNCuffs View Post
Well, you have to start posting somewhere. Not a very welcoming tone.
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote