Stats: 155
Thank you very much for the great interview! Cleared so many myths
workoutAmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: untothebreach
atkins nutritional supplements

I'm sure this is not the correct thread on which to ask this question, but I've tried to figure out how to ask it and am becoming confused and frustrated by the site. Anyway, I'm just going back on Atkins after 4 years off--originally lost 30 pounds, kept it off 4 years, fell off the wagon with to-be-expected results. I've been disappointed to learn that Dr. Atkins basic 3 supplement has been discontinued. Can you tell me why? And can you give me a recommendation as to alternative?
Thanks!!
untothebreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #33
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by untothebreach View Post
I'm sure this is not the correct thread on which to ask this question, but I've tried to figure out how to ask it and am becoming confused and frustrated by the site. Anyway, I'm just going back on Atkins after 4 years off--originally lost 30 pounds, kept it off 4 years, fell off the wagon with to-be-expected results. I've been disappointed to learn that Dr. Atkins basic 3 supplement has been discontinued. Can you tell me why? And can you give me a recommendation as to alternative?
Thanks!!
Hi there, I'm not sure if you'll get an answer in this thread, but I'd be happy to tell you what I'm doing as an alternative. I'm taking most of what was in Basic3 via separate supplements. If you're not sure what those are, I can give you a list.

IMO, the most important is the L-Carnitine. I take 1000mg AM and 500mg PM.

Plus I take 100mg of CoQ10 (50mg AM/PM).

And 500mcg Chromium (AM)

I take a bunch of other stuff too!

btw, I've seen the Atkins Basic3 for sale at eBay!

Plz let me know if you find out why it was discontinued - I'm interested too!
You might try started a new thread with this question in The Main Lobby.
I bet you'd get a ton of responses!

This is a great place; lots of support - hang in there!

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches

Last edited by hummingbird11; 05-10-2008 at 09:42 PM..
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #34
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I will find out about the Atkins products and why certain ones are discontinued.. I am guessing it might be because of replacing them with something different... maybe they have a new one that incorporates a few of the vitamins together. I will find out and post it here as well as send you a PM with what I find out.

Take care!

cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #35
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sugarfreedee
Stats: 147/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2009
Great info Cheri and btw you look fantastic in your avatar picture.
sugarfreedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #36
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Oh Wow - thanks so much Cheri! In addition to Atkins Basic 3 ~ I'm also interested in learning where to get the Blood Sugar Formula and any others that may be available? I'm researching for several interested folks - many thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
I will find out about the Atkins products and why certain ones are discontinued.. I am guessing it might be because of replacing them with something different... maybe they have a new one that incorporates a few of the vitamins together. I will find out and post it here as well as send you a PM with what I find out.

Take care!

cheri
Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #37
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I recieved a reply from Colette...

Quote:
Unfortunately the Supplements have been discontinued.
Atkins Nutritionals Inc. has constantly worked to optimize our product offerings. Part of this optimization is launching new exciting products, but we also needed to review our existing products to ensure they continue to meet our business objectives. At present we are unable to compete in the nutritional supplement business and in our effort to become more efficient, we needed to concentrate on products that support our business objectives. In the spirit of providing an optimized product mix, it had been decided to discontinue the supplement line.
Our apologies for any inconvenience that this may present.

Good substitutes;

Dr Hoffman’s formulas are the close to Dr Atkins formulas at about the same price. Dr. Hoffman

2. Dr Salerno duplicated Dr Atkins formulas as in Basic#1 Dr. John Salerno Center for Complementary Medicine and will be trusted because he worked with RCA

3. For Essential Oils : OmegaRx® is a highly-purified and powerful Omega-3 EPA/DHA enriched concentrate designed to help you: - Burn fat faster - Reduce inflammation within fat cells - Minimize the spread of inflammation to other organs to support the body’s defense against chronic disease - Satisfy hunger Ideal for Weight Loss, Men's, Women's and Children's Health

The bars and shakes will remain on the shelves. The shakes will be in new tetra packaging and have been reformulated;

1. The Ready to Drink shakes have gone from metal cans to the tetra containers which are more environmentally friendly and do not have any of the by products metal containers can yield.

2. The RTD's have moved to a high quality, pure source of milk protein concentrate, which is an upgrade from the blend used in the past. This milk protein concentrate is manufactured by the ultra-filtration of fresh skim milk. Due to the mild conditions of the manufacturing procedure, natural milk calcium and phosphorus are retained with the protein. This milk protein is straight from dairy farmers that do not allow the use of any questionable ingredients for use in their product, such as bovine growth hormone or BHT and is also GMO free.

The other source of protein is from soy. Soy protein contains lots of phytochemicals along with isoflavones that contribute to health benefits. In general, soy products are encouraged to decrease the risk of free radical damage to cells and organs.

3. Caffeine: The new coffee RTDs are lower in caffeine content compared to the old formulas. The caffeine content per tetra for mocha latte 37mg is for café caramel is 50mg.

4. Fat; the source of fat has been upgraded from Soybean oil to High Oleic Sunflower Oil.
Please check out the vitamins here at Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! as well... There are several brands that are very reasonably priced. Shipping is a low flat rate of 4.95 no matter how much you order.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #38
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Cheri - thank you so much!

XO,
HB
Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Gilded Lily
Thank you!
Gilded Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: slick55
to the person on meds who's weight loss has stalled. I found that Celebrex caused me not only to stall but I gained 9 pounds in the first week on Celebrex. I stopped taking it and the weight fell off.
slick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ddemaree
Stats: 233/207/175
WOE: Crack the Fat
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
After insulin, Dr. Atkins believed that hormome replacement therapy (HRT) is a leading offender in terms of inhibited weight loss. Menopausal women who take estrogen or an estrogen-progesterone combo have a lot of trouble shedding pounds. In fact, weight gain, water retention and skyrocketing triglyceride levels are well-known side effects of HRT. "There are better, more natural ways to treat menopause symptoms," Dr. Atkins said. "Folic acid in prescription-strength doses, for example, helps minimize many symptoms, as do other nutrients, such as boron, soy isoflavones and herbs such as agnus cactus and dong quai." Also, consume moderate amounts of soy products.
This goes along with what my trainer told me.

At the first of the year i went through a hysterectomy and cancer treatments that put me in immediate menopause. I opted not to take HRT because he told me I would produce a higher testosterone level without the estrogen, which would cause more muscle mass. Thats exactly what happened. I didnt know a 52 year old woman could gain so much muscle so quickly!

Working out along with pushing myself physically has helped with symptopms of menopause as well. In fact, I dont have them at all.
ddemaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
New member here!!!

Hey guys,
Just wanted to say thanks Cheri for all the info!!!! It helps soo much!!! I am ready to feel more energetic that I have ever felt. However I am not looking forward to the induction flu I am about to get in the next couple of days. How did you guys all get through work?? Load up on ibuprofen LOL???
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 250/240/150
WOE: Low-carb my way
Start Date: November 2011
Cheri, thanks for the information. I've yo'd so much I probably should live on the Shore. As such, I'm already fretting and tomorrow is Day One. This site is amazing (and strangely addictive...)
annette_debellfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HawaiiHoney
Stats: 262.8/258.8/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/22/14
Informative
HawaiiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jilligan