LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandra Barnet
Stats: 170/130/130
WOE: Low carb. No grains.
Start Date: 2-15-07
Protein powder without soy

Can any recommend a protein powder without soy in it to make shakes? I am not getting enough protein and I feel weird when I eat soy. I also cannot have maltodextrin in the ingredients. thanks in advance for any help.
Sandra Barnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Nutiva Hemp protein powder is purest of protein powders. It's alos grown organically and cold processed without the use of chemicals.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/184.6/135 (18-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Fawn,. how does it taste - I'm finally to the point where I'm telling my better natured half - "YOU eat pizza on Tues night after golf, I'm doing a protein shake" - I've used CO, whey protein, organic blueberries, etc. - but like to rotate around a bit.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #4

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
I cant do soy either (Hashi's)

I LOVE The PVL whey gourmet PB Choc. There are many tho,just look for whey.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #5

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Nutiva Hemp protein powder is purest of protein powders. It's alos grown organically and cold processed without the use of chemicals.
I just bought some from Vitamin Shoppe today. Scared to use it though.... I'd stir it into yogurt whenever I get up the nerve! I did stick my finger in and taste some powder-- not decided yet. Normally I HATE HATE HATE all protein powders, ESPECIALLY whey. We'll see!
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #6

Actually girls, it tastes nutty. Have you ever eaten hemp seeds? Similar to flax without the metalic taste.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #7

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
I've never had hemp. I'll get brave and stir it in my yoggie tomorrow. Fawn I don't know WHY I'm scared of your concoctions.
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #8

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Actually girls, it tastes nutty. Have you ever eaten hemp seeds? Similar to flax without the metalic taste.
do they have phytoestrogens like soy?
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Flaxman
Stats: 360/350/340...330 by October 1st.
WOE: Dr. Greg Ellis
Start Date: June 1 2009
Soy is no good for anyone because of too many hormones. I use Muscle Milk and it tastes great. Maybe someone else has tried the vast array of other kinds but with 32 grams of protein, it keeps you filled for a few hours. There are 12 grams of carbs in it too so just make sure you're eating a big steak or something like that throughout the day.
Flaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherJanet
Stats: 150/137/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
I saw this in a health food store (Planet Organic) the other day. They make this in a sample size for $2.00. This thread has made me curious to try it.
HeatherJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #11

Ileen
I will do the research for you. Have to get to work now.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: billfrank
Always preferred whey protein to soy.... for the improvement in taste alone!!

I like the Designer Whey brand.... in CHOCOLATE, of course!!
billfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #13

Hemp Seeds
Source of Nutrition
Hemp seeds are actually nuts and called as such on some product labels. “Hempnut” is a term developed by Richard Rose, author of The Hempnut Cookbook and used to describe the shelled seed. Hemp seeds have been a traditional source of nourishment in many countries for thousands of years. They can be roasted, ground, or used as flour in such various ways as in the form of hemp milk and tofu or as spreads for bread and crackers. Sprouted seeds can be added to salads.
Hemp seeds are one of the most nutritious foods on earth. Tasting similar to pine nuts and sunflower seeds, hempseeds can be used in any recipe. In terms of nutrient content, shelled hemp seed is basically 34.6% protein, 46.5% fat, and 11.6% carbohydrate. For diabetics, the glycemic index of shelled hempseed is considered low because of its low carbohydrate content. They are also full of nutrients that moderate blood sugar. Since most of the carbohydrate content is in the hull, shelled hemp seed is therefore preferred.

Not only do hemp seeds contain essential fatty acids (EFAs) in the proper ratio required by humans, but also all the essential amino acids (more protein information separately) and dietary fiber required for good health. The fiber content of hemp seed flour is 40%, which is the highest of all commercial flour grains.

No other single plant source provides balanced protein nutrition with all the essential amino acids in a favorable ratio for digestibility. In fact, two-thirds of the shelled seed is packed with these essential nutrients and is 40% more nutritious than whole hempseed. Yes, the shelled seed is more nutritious than the whole seed. When the hull is removed, the percentage of essential nutrients rises. The protein content increases by 8% (to more than 30%), and the total fat content goes up 17% (to more than 47%). The ratio of EFAs remains the same though.

Furthermore, hemp seed is far more valuable in terms of concentrated nutrients than soybeans, the nearest vegan alternative. Shelled hemp seeds contain 35% protein, of which 65% occurs as the easily digestible storage protein, edestin. Hemp seeds contain all nine essential amino acids with a high content of sulfur-containing AA (methionine and cysteine), which are usually low in vegetable proteins. The absence of trypsin inhibitory activity is a major advantage over the type of protein found in soybeans.

Trace elements found in hemp seed include strontium, thorium, arsenic, and chromium. It is also a good source of the antioxidant vitamin E in the form of alpha-, beta-, gamma-, delta-tocopherol and alpha-tocotrienol.

Other Nutrients
The following are also found in hemp seeds:
Lecithin is a type of liquid found in the protective sheaths surrounding the brain and nervous system. Lecithin helps in the breakdown of fats and enhances liver activity and enzyme production.
Choline is produced from lecithin. It is needed for nerve impulses from the brain throughout the nervous system and for liver and gall bladder function. Its derivative acetylcholine, lacking in Alzheimer patients, is crucial for short-term memory.
Inositol promotes hair growth, reduces cholesterol levels, prevents artery hardening, and is calming to the nervous system.
Phytosterols, sometimes described as ‘plant hormones’ or phytoestrogens, affect cholesterol absorption, hormone regulation, and cell metabolism.

Shelled Hempseed
It is also high in such minerals as the following:
Potassium supports the nervous system and regular heart rhythm and, with the help of sodium, aids in the body’s balance of water.
Calcium is also essential for a regular heartbeat, strong teeth and bones, and nerve impulses.
Magnesium is needed to transmit the nerve and muscle messages.
Sulfur helps the body resist bacterial invasion and protects it against toxic substances.
Iron, in moderate amounts, facilitate the production of red blood cells and energy.
Zinc is important for a healthy reproductive system and the male prostate gland. It improves wound healing and strengthens the immune system.

No THC
Strains of seed hemp have been naturally selected so as to produce little, if any, THC. These nutritional varieties grow in temperate climates to heights of 14 feet. As with many agricultural grains, their seeds can be harvested in a conventional manner with a combine. Since the most modern handling and shelling of the seed minimizes its contact with the leaf resins, the shelled seed itself and the oil, nut butter, and other foods prepared from the seed have no detectible THC amounts.

Health Issues
Scientists are studying the use of hemp seed extracts to boost the immuno-depressed who have such illnesses as AIDS and cancer.
Edestin, a protein found in hemp seed, is so compatible with the human digestive system that in 1955, a Czechoslovakian Tuberculosis Nutrition Study found hemp seed to be the only food that successfully treated tuberculosis, a disease in which nutritive processes become impaired and the body wastes away. Edestin is such a perfect protein that Science Magazine complained in 1941 that “the passage of the Marijuana Law of 1937 has placed restrictions on trade in hemp seed that, in effect, amounts to prohibition … It seems clear that the long and important career of the protein is coming to a close in the US.” As a result, although not solely from the lack of hemp seeds, American health has since suffered a steady decline ever since.

Sterilized Hemp Seed
The word ‘sterilized’ conjures up some misconceptions. Legal hemp seeds are either heat sterilized or steam sterilized. This is to keep them from growing into new plants. Steamed seeds are actually superior in freshness. Contrary to popular belief, few if any seed companies use irradiation to treat their products.
To steam sterilize, seeds are not cooked to the point of killing bacteria. Instead, they are brought to a temperature of 160°F for 5 minutes and then cooled. This is hot enough to alter some of the enzymes necessary for photosynthesis. If the seeds were cooked any further, the seed coats would break, allowing the reactive oils to go rancid quickly. As it is, the shelf life of the cooked seeds is compromised. The heat opens micro fissures in the hull that allow oxygen to penetrate into the delicate kernels. Live seeds can sprout after being kept in a drawer for five years, but cooked seeds can go rancid in a few months, especially if not refrigerated.

Robert Stroud, the ‘Birdman of Alcatraz’, became an expert on birds and wrote about them in 1939. The book, Diseases of Birds, still stands as an authority. Stroud mentioned how nutritious hemp seeds were, but expressed frustration with the ‘sterilized’ seeds that were coming on the market as a result of the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act. He called them “rancid trash”.

All foodstuffs, every spice, every grain of rice, including hemp seeds, brought into the US is fumigated to kill all insects and other plant pests. This not only diminishes the freshness but also significantly reduces the nutrient content. Adding insult to injury, the government also requires that these items be fumigated with methyl bromide – a toxic substance to both humans and animals.

Methylene bromide works like carbon dioxide by suffocating all living matter. It is inert enough that it does not react with the seeds and dissipates into the air. The major problem with it is that it travels into the upper atmosphere, where it depletes the ozone. However, the amount of methylene bromide used as a fumigant is a tiny fraction of what is used for tenting, houses, and agricultural fields.

As of 2005, the US will be completing its scheduled phasing-out period for the use of methyl bromide, with the exception of what they deem as necessary use.

Ozone Depletion Rules and Regulations -- This site tells about the phasing out schedule and the “necessary” items.
Campon Millennium Chemicals -- This site gives more information on methyl bromide.
HempNut Nutrition -- This site has several excellent tables developed by Richard Rose, author of The HempNut Cookbook.
Where to buy:

In North America: Hemp Oil Canada
In Europe: Finola - (Finola hemp seed foods are also sold in North America through Hemp Oil Canada.)
Old 08-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No offense but I bought this and it has to be the most disgusting thing I have ever tried. I mixed some in my magic bullet with heavy cream, stevia , raspberries and ice and its like drinking a glass of gritty green mud. I wish I could stand the taste because its loaded with all those good vitamins but there is no way.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #15

Sandra
I'm sorry you didn't like it. My shakes consist of about 5 cups of veggies so it blends right in when I've used it. I don't use it much anymore though.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I think Ill try it with vegies. The canister said to use fruit. Thanks for the idea.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Steam
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfrank View Post
Always preferred whey protein to soy.... for the improvement in taste alone!!

I like the Designer Whey brand.... in CHOCOLATE, of course!!
That has Soy in it.
Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alowcarbgoddess
Stats: Start/Current/First Goal: 223/217/199
WOE: Low carb/close to vegetarian
I believe Jay Robb whey from Whole Foods is soy-free. I have soy issues and love the vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.
alowcarbgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote