Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Stevia and headaches?

I have had a headache for a couple weeks. It varies in intensity but it's always there. I'm contemplating a trip to the dr if it doesn't go away soon but in the meantime, I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing anything differently. The only thing I can think of is that I've switched from Splenda to a stevia/xylitol combo. I've used xylitol for quite a while with no problem - same with splenda. The only difference is adding in the stevia.

So, I'm curious if stevia gives anyone else a headache?

Losing weight is hard, but being fat is harder. Choose your hard.

Don't sit if you can stand. Don't stand if you can walk. Don't walk if you can run. Get Moving!
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Your electrolytes may be out of whack. One thing about this WOE is that your body probably doesn't get the potassium it needs. One remedy is increase all your salad vegies or take potassium supplements. I take potassium tablets. Another symptom of a potassium shortage beside a headache is muscle cramps. This morning I noticed my calves were cramping. I took 6 potassium tabs (99mg x 6) and the cramps went away within 15 minutes. btw.... if 594mg of potassium sounds like a lot... well 10 dried apricot halves contain 407mg.

Here is a link to a government database of different nutrient values. You can sort it on different nutrients and see what to eat to get the most of any specific nutrient.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...k/wt_rank.html

... KETOSIS TAKE ME AWAY...
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Hard to say what is causing your headache. I do have a friend who says that stevia makes her sick. She can use splenda with no problem.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: relentless
Stats: 200/162/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 1/05, 1/10
I've switched from Splenda to Stevia and my headaches went away. I use straight Stevia (no xylitol) and I use it at least a few times per day, in coffee, yogurt, iced tea, etc.

Hope you feel better!
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Boudica
Stats: New Mommy
WOE: Low G.I. WOE
Start Date: Every Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless View Post
I've switched from Splenda to Stevia and my headaches went away. I use straight Stevia (no xylitol) and I use it at least a few times per day, in coffee, yogurt, iced tea, etc.

Hope you feel better!
I did as well, switching from Splenda to Stevia (the straight kind) and have had no problems. I use it in my morning coconut bark daily, my tea, muffins, etc.

~D
Boudica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I did some more research and found out that headache is a side effect of stevia - who knew??? I ended up taking 4 aspirin and 2 extra strength tylenol last night and it barely touched it. I didn't use stevia in my coffee this morning and it seems a bit better.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Boudica
Stats: New Mommy
WOE: Low G.I. WOE
Start Date: Every Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerMama View Post
Well, I did some more research and found out that headache is a side effect of stevia - who knew??? I ended up taking 4 aspirin and 2 extra strength tylenol last night and it barely touched it. I didn't use stevia in my coffee this morning and it seems a bit better.
Glad to hear you figured out it was the Stevia. At least you caught it right up front and didn't have to hunt and peck for it! Guess your body just doesn't like that 'herb'...like mine doesn't take too well to ginseng.

~D
Boudica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
At the end of the day it is an herbal supplement which does not mean it is 100% safe for everybody just as with any food.
Different bodies have different reactions. I'm glad you're feeling better today!
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #9

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
No offense to those who love Stevia but I would get a headache if I used Stevia. That stuff is just nasty to me.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

It's a bit better this afternoon - certainly not what it was yesterday but it's still hanging on in that annoying, constant way. It will probably take a while to get totally out of my system I'm guessing? I had no idea a common side effect from stevia is a headache. I'm usually pretty good about researching what I put in my body but this one snuck up on me.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RnayR
Stats: 163/163/140
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/30/13
I also get headaches from stevia. I wanted to quit useing artificial sweetners so I went and bought some stevia and I makes me feel awful. I have that reaction with alot of differnt herbs, I hate it. So I stopped useing it. I'm still useing splenda for know.
RnayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lulu Belle
Stats: First goal is 20lbs. 8 gone so far!
WOE: Low Carb. (mostly)
Start Date: Sept 26,2012
I'm glad you're figuring out what works for you. Personally the Splenda made me feel ill, i like the stevia, i find it has a nutty flavour to it.
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: traderjoe
Stevia and Headaches

I just stumbled across this forum after Googling "stevia headaches". I just bought some stevia powder yesterday to use with the candida diet, used it twice yesterday (afternoon and night), and again this morning, then realized I have a headache, which I almost never get. The only thing I've done differently lately that I can think of is consuming stevia. Who'd have thought such a benign-sounding "herb" would cause side effects? I guess it's not for everyone.
traderjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Switching to stevia got rid of my headaches!

Glad you found that out about yourself, WildFlowerMama.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Wow, I had no idea. I love stevia, it is a life saver for our household.
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nam123
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerMama View Post
I have had a headache for a couple weeks. It varies in intensity but it's always there. I'm contemplating a trip to the dr if it doesn't go away soon but in the meantime, I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing anything differently. The only thing I can think of is that I've switched from Splenda to a stevia/xylitol combo. I've used xylitol for quite a while with no problem - same with splenda. The only difference is adding in the stevia.

So, I'm curious if stevia gives anyone else a headache?
I, too, have had a massive headache for at least 2 weeks (to the point of throwing up a few times) and I think it was the switch to stevia. I have stopped using it 3 days ago and already feel a little better. I figure I'll try it again at another time- maybe...
Good luck!
Nam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
I've had migrains for years. I use Stevia...it doesn't bother me. Headaches are triggered by different things for different people. Hormones, stress, and the WEATHER are the biggest headache triggers for me. It never fails that the weather is bonkers when it's time for TOM to visit, and I happen to be stressed that I end up with a migraine. I've learned to avoid chocolate and red wine if I have even a hint of a headache because it eggs it on. I avoid MSG at all costs. I've had headaches since my BG has been high and my vision has been whacked out. You have to figure out what triggers your headache. Different people are sensitive to different things.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I get migraines if I use Splenda, switching to Stevia got rid of my headaches/migraines. Everyone is different though! What brand of stevia were you using? Are there added flavors or other ingredients?
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mike (in Sweden)
STEVIA AND DIABETES 2

DIABETES 2

I have been fighting diabetes 2 for 6 months now. I tried for some time Metformin but it made me sick as a dog. My body seems to have problems except synthetic drugs. In my frustration I started to scan the web for herbs that could help me. I have tried Cinnamon, Apple cider vinegar, Chrome and flax seed oil. It worked for a while but now my blood sugar has gone up. Its like my body is adapting to whatever I do to control the blood sugar level. The only thing that has worked so far is exercising minimum twice a day. The weather here in Sweden is like the UK this time a year. Fogy, rainy and cold. So my exercise kinda off beat at times.

STEVIA

I found some info online about Stevia and have been using it for about 3 weeks. Tonight I was feeling not to bad so I made myself a coop of Tea and added Stevia to my drink. About 15 minutes later I started to feel dizzy and a headache unfolded itself. I still have the headache writing this I just came to the conclusion that Stevia is the reason why I have it. The sad part is that Stevia seem to lower my blood sugar about 20%. I just can't deal with this headache day in and day out though. So what is one to do? I can't handle pharmaceutical drugs, they make me sick. Another thing I feel queasy from stevia and a metallic taste appears in my mouth a few minutes after taking it.

Holistic Chlorella

I just got some Chlorella the other day. (Chlorella is a genus of single-celled green algae.) It seems to give me energy and feel better. The strange thing is that it's suppose to lower my blood sugar but it actually raises it. The 20% lowered by the Stevia is raised by the Chlorella by almost 30%. I don't get this at all. I am stuck in between the chairs as we say in Europe. I am hoping by posting this someone may know something that can help me. If this keeps up I will be dead in few years time. It's wearing me down everyday. I looked in the mirror today and I got shocked of what I saw. I have aged at least 3 years in 6 months time. I am 38 and I have always looked young for my age. About 7 months ago people told me looked like I was around 29-30. Not today I have aged like crazy in just a few months. I know aging is a natural process - but come on. I am lost and tired. I am going to see a doctor next week but I will not get on any meds I will just get sick from them. Would should I do?

Thank you for your time.

Mike in Sweden
Mike (in Sweden) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike (in Sweden) View Post
DIABETES 2
I am going to see a doctor next week but I will not get on any meds I will just get sick from them. Would should I do?

Thank you for your time.

Mike in Sweden
I'm not diabetic but there are several herbs out there besides cinnamon which are supposed to be helpful. Berberine and bitter melon to name a couple.

I too am not a med lover... have BTDT for other conditions. End up with a huge cocktail of drugs to fight the side effects of each new drug.

Best of luck to you!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SashimiMark
Stats: in love with myself
WOE: organic whole foods with lots of fat
Start Date: January 2008
Truvia gave me wicked bad headaches, but not stevia.
SashimiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #22

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashimiMark View Post
Truvia gave me wicked bad headaches, but not stevia.

Truvia did me too-rebiana did not agree with me.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fixin
Stats: 5 ft 9 140/128/130
WOE: cycling carbs and calories (JUDD Enthusiast)
I use truvia fine - no headaches. But please, for those people who use stevia straight...which is the best brand that doesn't have that aftertaste? I have tried nunaturals, it's great but the packets have either erythritol or maltodextrin in them so that's not straight. The concentrated stuff would be less expensive in the long run I'm thinking.

Maybe I'm hijacking here but....I switched to stevia based sweeteners because I read of the dangers of splenda. What's the latest consensus on all this? I would like to use EZ sweet since just a few drops go a long way I've read. If anyone can tell me for health reasons why I should avoid it....I need to be reminded.
fixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #24

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
NuNaturals has a pure stevia powder.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

I use the Now non-bitter brand of liquid stevia. I've yet to find a brand of stevia that I liked the taste of "straight". So I've just learned not to taste it that way, and just put it in whatever I want sweetened. Also, I've learned that less is more. If you're used to things being very sweet, you may need to retrain your tastebuds to enjoy a less sweet taste.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
I also use the NOW Brand stevia drops and NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Pwd. Neither of them seem to have the strong aftertase. And I love the NOW French Vanilla Stevia drops in coffee occasionally!
Blondie Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fixin
Stats: 5 ft 9 140/128/130
WOE: cycling carbs and calories (JUDD Enthusiast)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashimiMark View Post
I use the Now non-bitter brand of liquid stevia. I've yet to find a brand of stevia that I liked the taste of "straight". So I've just learned not to taste it that way, and just put it in whatever I want sweetened. Also, I've learned that less is more. If you're used to things being very sweet, you may need to retrain your tastebuds to enjoy a less sweet taste.
I'm really fine with things being less sweet, my husband however likes things so sweet. I have to use a lot of truvia to get the taste to his liking. Most people that bake with concentrated 'straight' stevia also use xylitol or erythritol to bulk it up. So there's more expense again, those items are expensive.

I make him a lot of low carb deserts. He lost 35 pounds, got to within 5 pounds of his ideal weight and has kept it off for 2 years. If I didn't make real sweet deserts he would buy junky, carby ones. So...I got to thinking about how liquid splenda may be cheaper and easier but I've heard some negatives about it. Why do you not use splenda...health issues?
fixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

I prefer not to use artificial sweeteners. Plus studies have shown that it does nasty things to your gut. It also sucks to sweeten chocolate with splenda.