LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caretaker
Stats: 176/165/146
WOE: Atkins Restart
Start Date: 1/31/06
Coconut Oil and Ketosis ???

I am in the induction phase. I started Atkins 1/31/07 and lost 10 lbs by 2/11 but have not lost another pound or inch since then. I have not been able to get past trace amts on my keto stix the whole time.
I started usind coconut oil two days ago and my keto stix are deepest purple. Everything else is exactly the same including exercise. Am I really finally deep into ketosis or is is possible that this is just some by product being passed and picked up on the keto stix?

Anyone that can help, I would appreciate it. I have been stuck at this point so long that I am getting pretty depressed.

[COLOR=navy]WOE: Atkins; Restart 1/31/07[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]176/[COLOR=teal]165[/COLOR]/146[/COLOR]

[COLOR=orange]Goal #1: [/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid]166lbs by 2/14/07 [/COLOR][COLOR=red]DONE!!! [/COLOR][COLOR=#9932cc](goal reached on 2/11/07)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Goal #2: [/COLOR][COLOR=seagreen]156lbs by 4/21/07[/COLOR]
[COLOR=magenta]Finish Line: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]146lbs by 8/24/07[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]http://www.******.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=goal146[/COLOR]
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/144.6/150 5'5" 30y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Coconut oil consists of medium chain triglycerides (MCT), and MCTs are used to PROMOTE ketosis. I know people who are resistant to ketosis can use MCTs to help them get into ketosis. Also, it is supposed to increase your body temp and metabolism. This would burn carbs faster (for the energy), so that could also lead to quicker ketosis.

I'm telling you, this stuff is amazing!

I got the following info from this website:
http://www.mynchen.demon.co.uk/Ketog...genic_diet.htm

A much more significant variant is the MCT oil diet. MCT stand for medium chain triglycerides, which are a particular type of saturated fat found in coconut oil. MCT oil is one of the wonder ingredients of the nineties, being used by athletes to improve their performance. MCT oil is special because although it is a fat, it metabolises quickly, like carbohydrate. In the typical MCT diet, the proportions will be 35% fat, 35% MCT oil, 20% carbohydrate and 10% protein (a 2.3:1 ratio). Also, the total calorie intake is set at the normal level, rather than three quarters of normal, so the MCT diet is far less rigorous than the classical diet.

Another website says this:

It is theorized that the ingestion of medium chain triglycerides, because of their rapid absorption and metabolism, provide the athlete with a fuel source that helps to spare the use of muscle glycogen (stored carbohydrate). Because depletion of muscle glycogen is a factor in fatigue, ingestion of MCT oil could provide the body with an immediate source of fat that is rapidly broken down for energy thus muscle glycogen stores are not used up as quickly and the onset of fatigue is delayed. MCTs are also thought to increase metabolic rate. Assuming that diet (calorie intake) and exercise (calorie output) remains the same; any increase in metabolic rate could result in a small, slow loss of body fat. MCTs are thought to be burned immediately for energy rather than being stored as body fat and used for energy at a later time. In theory, MCTs help to maintain muscle mass because they produce ketone bodies which are used for energy before the amino acids in muscle are used for energy.

The usual recommended dose is 1-2 tablespoons per day. Initial dose should be small (i.e., 1/2 tablespoon per day) to make sure there are no gastrointestinal side effects. One tablespoon of MCT oil contains 14 grams; ingestion of 85 grams has been shown to cause cramping and diarrhea in some individuals.

Hope this helps!

Now Dr. Samantha42, thanks to this website.
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much Samantha! Your information was so helpful. Based on that info I am hoping the coconut oil will break this awful 6 week stall I have been on. I have seen other great benefits already (my skin not dry anymore, my energy levels are great and consistent throughout the day )
Old 03-25-2007, 03:30 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Going2
Stats: 215/184(166)/150 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
Sorry, dietary fat can also change the stix to purple, so that's why some of us consider them unreliable. I've been slowly losing since Jan. and haven't seen them change except a couple of times.

Thanks to CO, I finally broke my three-year stall (OK, so I was over a little on my cals for a few years! ) and I am down 21 lbs. since January. The way it's worked for me is to break the desire to eat until full, over-snack, and finish dinner with more than just a taste of something sweet. I've noticed the energy boost too, not really a spike but like you said, a consistent feeling that carries me thru to the next meal. I try to get in 3 tblsps a day, but it's usually two. Nutiva brand's the best.

I've always been true to Atkins WOE, just thought I didn't have to watch calories . . . but I do.
Going2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going2 View Post
Sorry, dietary fat can also change the stix to purple
Ok, to clarify, dietary fat alone does not change a stick to purple. A person on a highcarb AND highfat diet does not have a purple stick. It is the BURNING of these eaten fats that turn it purple. Purple=ketosis no matter how you look at it. It's just whether the fat you are burning is from your body or from your food that defines whether you are "eating too much fat to lose weight". I think this is a common misconception on this board.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HolyHottie
WOE: All natural baby!
Start Date: Long time ago!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha42 View Post
Ok, to clarify, dietary fat alone does not change a stick to purple. A person on a highcarb AND highfat diet does not have a purple stick. It is the BURNING of these eaten fats that turn it purple. Purple=ketosis no matter how you look at it. It's just whether the fat you are burning is from your body or from your food that defines whether you are "eating too much fat to lose weight". I think this is a common misconception on this board.
Thank you for making this point.
HolyHottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going2 View Post
Sorry, dietary fat can also change the stix to purple, so that's why some of us consider them unreliable. I've been slowly losing since Jan. and haven't seen them change except a couple of times.

Thanks to CO, I finally broke my three-year stall (OK, so I was over a little on my cals for a few years! ) and I am down 21 lbs. since January. The way it's worked for me is to break the desire to eat until full, over-snack, and finish dinner with more than just a taste of something sweet. I've noticed the energy boost too, not really a spike but like you said, a consistent feeling that carries me thru to the next meal. I try to get in 3 tblsps a day, but it's usually two. Nutiva brand's the best.

I've always been true to Atkins WOE, just thought I didn't have to watch calories . . . but I do.
I am curious as to how many cals you settled at. I am also wondering if I should cut cals alittle also.
I have a fit day link in my signature if you wouldn't mind taking a quick look at my fat/cal/pro stats to see if you notice any mistakes on my part.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Samantha, I see that you follow the LC My Way WOE. When I was fairly new to this site and surfing around I found a thread that explained that WOE I actually printed the guidelines and have them up in my kitchen. I have found ****** very helpful in keeping track of my fat/cal/pro stats. Would you mind taking a quick look at my ****** link to see if you notice any changes I could make. I want to make sure that I am tapping into my body fat reserves and not just burning dietary fat. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
Samantha, I see that you follow the LC My Way WOE. When I was fairly new to this site and surfing around I found a thread that explained that WOE I actually printed the guidelines and have them up in my kitchen. I have found ****** very helpful in keeping track of my fat/cal/pro stats. Would you mind taking a quick look at my ****** link to see if you notice any changes I could make. I want to make sure that I am tapping into my body fat reserves and not just burning dietary fat. Thanks for any help you can give.
Sure I'll take a look right now. I'm a little confused though, what WOE guidelines did you print out exactly?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Ok-- I checked out your ******. I only see a couple weights posted, so I'm wondering, have you been losing weight? If yes, keep doing what you're doing! No need to change something that works if you are losing weight and FEELING good. I emphasize the feeling good because I think eating this way is more than about just being skinny. For example, if you are losing weight but have terrible headaches every night, you may not be eating properly, and I would recommend a change.

If you are NOT feeling good, or not losing weight, I would do the following:

1: Eliminate processed meats. I'm not sure what sandwich beef is, but if it is super salty or has additives, nitrates, sulfates etc. it can stall you or make you feel unwell.

2: Eliminate dairy. A known staller. Worsens allergies & sinus problems & creates excess mucous. Can be addictive.

3: Eliminate nuts. Also can stall. Can be addictive. Many people find themselves unable to tolerate nuts based on food allergies or intolerances.

I didn't notice if you were consuming artifical sweeteners, but I am against them, with the exception of stevia. They can also cause insulin and craving problems, and with the possibilty of being cancer-causing, I would just steer clear just to be safe.

Hope that helps!! I hope you find the coconut oil helps you out, too!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Sure I'll take a look right now. I'm a little confused though, what WOE guidelines did you print out exactly?
I found the LC My Way (LCMW) on the Low Carb Challenges page on page 3 for the date of 5/4/03.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Ok-- I checked out your ******. I only see a couple weights posted, so I'm wondering, have you been losing weight? If yes, keep doing what you're doing! No need to change something that works if you are losing weight and FEELING good. I emphasize the feeling good because I think eating this way is more than about just being skinny. For example, if you are losing weight but have terrible headaches every night, you may not be eating properly, and I would recommend a change.

If you are NOT feeling good, or not losing weight, I would do the following:

1: Eliminate processed meats. I'm not sure what sandwich beef is, but if it is super salty or has additives, nitrates, sulfates etc. it can stall you or make you feel unwell.

2: Eliminate dairy. A known staller. Worsens allergies & sinus problems & creates excess mucous. Can be addictive.

3: Eliminate nuts. Also can stall. Can be addictive. Many people find themselves unable to tolerate nuts based on food allergies or intolerances.

I didn't notice if you were consuming artifical sweeteners, but I am against them, with the exception of stevia. They can also cause insulin and craving problems, and with the possibilty of being cancer-causing, I would just steer clear just to be safe.

Hope that helps!! I hope you find the coconut oil helps you out, too!
Thanks for the input.
I actually am felling really great. I notice a huge difference since starting the coconut oil. I am definitely going to stick with that.
Good point on the sandwich steaks. I can't believe I never even looked past the carb count on the box. That's not like me. Even if they don't stall me, I prefer to try to eat as clean as possible.
I have cut dairy out quite a bit but I will keep an eye on it and eliminate it all together if needed.
I seem to do pretty well with nuts. Not allergic and in moderation they don't interrupt my ketosis.
I do not use sweetners. Coffee is black and only have an occasional diet soda.
I actually am losing weight. Slow and steady. If you noticed, on my fit day weight report for the past two weeks I seemed to be at a stall at 165 then I could swear my scale was not working properly so I bought a new one (digital with a BFA readout too). So when I got on the new one I weighed 174ish so that accounts for the big jump up in weight on the graph. Since that day I have been losing steadily and I lost 1% BF.
I really appreciate your help. I don't want to get obsessive but I do want to tweak my plan to work well for my body.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
I found the LC My Way (LCMW) on the Low Carb Challenges page on page 3 for the date of 5/4/03.
See, when I put LC My Way, I literally meant, MY way. So I'm not sure what kind of plan you were talking about, but I'll tell you what I eat

I basically follow a KISS-like plan, very little dairy, only stevia to sweeten. Some products like mayo, some nuts, whey shakes and salsa.

I try to eat very simply, but I know I go overboard with things like nuts and large salads... so I'm trying to cut back. I also do water/tea fasts every once in a whiel. Not sure if this helps you at all.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

It helps. Thanks again for all of your input
Old 03-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brando4256
WOE: HCG Diet
Thanks for your info guys on MCT Oil and Ketosis, very interesting stuff. I haven't tried MCT yet so maybe I will add that to my daily regimen.

Brandon
HCG Diet
brando4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Ketones are a by product in the breakdown of CO. That is why Dr Newton (is that her name?) started giving it to her husband who suffered from dementia; it was easier to add it to his food than put him on a ketogenic diet. She started by mixing it w his oatmeal.

So just because it turns those sticks purple does not mean you'll lose weight it just means the body is using the CO with the resulting ketones left.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote