Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaganCub
Stats: 339/317/240
WOE: Clean-Low-Carb
Coconut Oil - Bad Reactions

I saw some people mentioning their bodies reacting badly to the coconut oil. I tried it and I was fine, so I didn't think anything of it.

Last evening I had a fried over for dinner and I made a low carb asian dish which I fried in coconut oil. I really packed on the oil in the recipe and warned my friend that it would be high in fat. He was okay with that. Had dinner (both agreed tasted really good) and then he went home.

I got a phone call later on from my friend who relayed a story to me that while driving home, without warning, he became VERY sick. I don't want to get into too much detail, but let's say that there was a "riot in the downtown area that the authorities could not contain."

I feel so bad.

If you are going to start on the coconut oil as part of your regime, please be careful and start slow. Also, avoid serving foods cooked in it to others unless you know that their bodies won't react badly.

Also, aren't some people alergic to coconut? Does it fall into the nut allergy category?
PaganCub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Beaglesaroo
Stats: 230/230/150
Start Date: 9/14/13
first, I'm sorry your friend had such a bad reaction.

But this is about the funniest thing I've read here in months!
Quote:
"riot in the downtown area that the authorities could not contain."
Beaglesaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I'm deathly allergic to tree nuts (peanuts are not a nut), so I have to be really careful. However, I have no problem with coconut.

Here's something from a children's hospital website:

Quote:
Avoid All Sources of Tree Nuts

If your child has a tree nut allergy, he or she must avoid all sources of tree nut protein. Read labels on food products carefully. Tree nuts have been used in many foods including barbecue sauce, cereals, crackers, and ice cream. Also, Hacky Sacks (kick sacks), bean bags, and draft dodgers are sometimes filled with crushed nut shells. Be careful when purchasing and using these items.
Nutmeg is safe to eat. Nutmeg comes from the seeds of a tropical tree. Coconut is also usually safe to eat. A coconut is actually the seed of a fruit. Some people have reacted to coconut. Discuss eating coconut with your health care provider before introducing coconut to your child's diet.
Tree nuts can cause severe allergic reactions. If your doctor has prescribed epinephrine, be sure that your child has it available at all times.

And from another website:

Quote:
Is it safe to use coconut in foods for children?

It seems that some people are worried that coconut might be unsafe for children. This might be because the name has ‘nut’ in it, and there is a concern that children who are allergic to some nuts might be allergic to coconuts. Coconuts are not nuts, and people who are allergic to nuts can safely eat coconut (except for some very rare situations when the person is allergic to many things, not only nuts). Coconut is often on ‘safe food’ lists for people with food allergies.
It may have just been the fatty food, or he may have an allergy to coconuts, no relation to a tree nut allergy.

Sorry your friend had the uncontrollable riot on the way home.

Last edited by Ntombi; 03-22-2007 at 11:07 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CindyLouWho
WOE: whole foods; gluten free
Sometimes people who have overgrowth of candida in their bodies can have less than pleasant reactions when they first start coconut oil.

Quote:
If you’re familiar with candida, you’ll also be familiar with the term “die-off.” This refers to the flu-like symptoms some people experience when they start to detoxify and large numbers of fungal organisms begin to die and release their toxins into your bloodstream.

This is a sign your treatment plan is working and it should encourage you to continue. However, many people give up at this stage, thinking their condition is worsening.

For some people, the symptoms of die-off can be quite intense while, for others, the disturbance is minor.

Die-off rarely lasts more than a few days and can be managed by increasing your fluids and planning a light schedule for those first days.
Sorry your friend reacted badly. It might have been an allergy, it sounds like his system was shocked somehow. Hopefully he's feeling better.
CindyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Sorry about your friend. I hope he's feeling better.

It could be a side effect of detox or it could be too much oil at one time. It sounds more like the latter to me. That can happen with too much of any kind of oil when someone is not used to it. That's why it is recommended to start with a small amount & increase gradually.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Yikes! The poor guy!!

We are getting our 1st order tomorrow and I want to start out slowly. Should 1Tbs be good for a few days? Or should we start out lower? [/COLOR]
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: eshlemania
Stats: 132/120/110
WOE: Blood type diet
Start Date: Dec 2008
I started with a teaspoon of oil three times a day. After a week, I upped it. Now, I look forward to it. I'm up to 3 T

Bev
eshlemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2fourboyz
Stats: 277/working on it/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 28,2004 recommiting 7/1/13
I feel so bad for you, and your friend. Yes, coconut oil can cause a "die off" effect. This means that parasites and bad bacteria are being killed, thus needing to be expelled by "the authorities that could not contain the riot in the downtown area." So, I guess you could look at is as not "really"
your fault???Heehee. Not your fault he has an allergy or rioters? LOL
mom2fourboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: XamyX
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Re-start 6/10/2012
I love that! Riot that the authorities could not contain! LOL

I think it is probably the fat content that caused the "riot". I noticed that coconut oil works a lot better than fiber supplements. Its a similar concept to the diet medicine Xenical... which absorbs dietary fat when consumed... and causes explosive "riots".

Last edited by XamyX; 03-22-2007 at 08:26 PM..
XamyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Lower Carb/JUDDD
I wanted to try it now you scared me!!!!

I remember when I was younger I was taking Chromium piculate (sp?) and my friend decided to try it...... about 3am I got a phone call from her family screaming at me for allowing her to try it..... guess she freaked out and they had to call the ambulance and cops...... she went so far as the bite the one cop......... it came back as a reaction to the Chromium Piculate.......... I know her family blamed me and I wasnt allowed near her house again!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
He probably just had the candida die off reaction.

If he's prone to athlete's foot, he probably has internal candida. A lot of folks are prone to it...we just don't digest sugars and carbs properly (and our gut's bacteria goes off).

It hit me pretty hard as well, but was so great for me once it did it's job.

If you inform him of what really happened, he might want to clear himself out by continuing low doses of coconut oil until the reaction is gone.

It feels GREAT to be free.

Sorry for the guilt!!!
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillyme
Stats: 328/179.4/160
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 now hHCG
Start Date: Jan 2/07- restart Sept 2010
It didn't seem to cause me any bad reactions when I took it, although I didn't use the virgin coconut oil. I however did try the virgin coconut oil and couldn't handle the taste. I decided to use it as a moisturizer and broke out in a very itchy rash. Tried it a few weeks later and same thing. I haven't used it since but my puppy loves it in her food!! She should have the nicest coat around town...
sillyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starwing925
Stats: 197/178/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: restart 10/3/11
I threw up for 3 hours after taking it the first time! I can use it as an ingredient or fry with it but can't handle drinking it in my coffee or taking it straight! It did not have any time to react to anything parasite or otherwise in my body, my body just rejected it!
Starwing925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LayMiz
Stats: 229/209/145; 5'4", 59yo
WOE: 4 #s on LC, rest on JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD Apr. 16, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebubb View Post
I wanted to try it now you scared me!!!!

I remember when I was younger I was taking Chromium piculate (sp?) and my friend decided to try it...... about 3am I got a phone call from her family screaming at me for allowing her to try it..... guess she freaked out and they had to call the ambulance and cops...... she went so far as the bite the one cop......... it came back as a reaction to the Chromium Piculate.......... I know her family blamed me and I wasnt allowed near her house again!

Wow!!! I take that at times with no problem, I had no idea someone could have a bad reaction to it.

I have a problem with sleeplessness with the coconut oil.
LayMiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetAsSplenda
Stats: Size 12/0-1/0
WOE: Healthy low carb
Start Date: March 2, 2007
I haven't had much of a problem...I started w/ coconut milk, now I am on my 2nd day of the coconut cream concentrate...I get a little bit sick in the evenings, but it's getting better. I guess my diet is pretty high in fat already?
SweetAsSplenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #16
T-man

Gallery: whitelighter1968
Stats: 350/242/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/04/06
Merry Meet PC....

I've never had that reaction.. but I did have that reaction with someone and the flax muffins... They were allergic to the flax.... Thank the gods that wasn't me.. I love my muffins..

T-man
whitelighter1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
IDT
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: IDT
Stats: 152/139/125 5'6"
Start Date: Atkins 2004
probably not the coconut oil at all - anyone could have that reaction to any kind of oil or super-fatty food. That is why cooking or mineral oil was used as a common old-time laxative.
IDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SD1136
Stats: 355.6/329.4/?????
Start Date: 8/01/09
is this a reaction?

I was taking it for about 3 days
and My sister noticed my face was red alot. So I lessen the amount I am taking and I think its ok now>.
sandi
SD1136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FitnessJunkie
Be cautious before using coconut oil

Make sure you start using the oil in extremely small amounts. I did the 3 tsp. a day recommendations I found on the web and broke out in terrible hives for over 6 weeks. I had to go to my dermatologist as they got worse and worse after the 3rd day on organic coconut oil and I had used it before without any problems in my cooking and in my protein drinks. At the time I stopped eating all gluten type foods like bread so I'm not sure what happened but I am telling you be careful because I had those hives so bad I couldn't sleep they itched beyond belief! This went on for so long I had to be put on prednisone to stop it. I am ok now after the treatment. I really liked the coconut oil because it gave me a ton of energy those 3 days. Wish I could still use it as it curbed my appetite too. I am hypothyroid (Hashimotos') and need to lose weight all the time as it goes up and down even with a good diet and hitting the gym 6 days a week. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen? I was drinking coconut milk and coconut water at the same time. I think it was just too much at once and my body had a bad reaction.
FitnessJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessJunkie View Post
Make sure you start using the oil in extremely small amounts. I did the 3 tsp. a day recommendations I found on the web and broke out in terrible hives for over 6 weeks. I had to go to my dermatologist as they got worse and worse after the 3rd day on organic coconut oil and I had used it before without any problems in my cooking and in my protein drinks. At the time I stopped eating all gluten type foods like bread so I'm not sure what happened but I am telling you be careful because I had those hives so bad I couldn't sleep they itched beyond belief! This went on for so long I had to be put on prednisone to stop it. I am ok now after the treatment. I really liked the coconut oil because it gave me a ton of energy those 3 days. Wish I could still use it as it curbed my appetite too. I am hypothyroid (Hashimotos') and need to lose weight all the time as it goes up and down even with a good diet and hitting the gym 6 days a week. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen? I was drinking coconut milk and coconut water at the same time. I think it was just too much at once and my body had a bad reaction.
I am having breakouts on my lips. I think it is from the coconut oil. I never had any issue with it in the past. I hope it goes away
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Sorry about your friends reaction.

Starting out slow is best with coconut oil. It probably wasn't a yeast die off as that happens after a few days of use. It was probably a reaction of an extra fatty meal.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote