Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: a_shimoon
Stats: 231(orig)/215(restart)/209(now)/170(goal)
WOE: Custom (low carb)
Start Date: October 11, 2006 (Restart June 08)
Painful stomach ache

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in a while, but I've been around reading the boards.

Reason why I am posting:

Last night, for the second time, I experienced the worst stomach ache of my life.

This also happened to me a few months ago.

Basically, at about 1 or 2am, when I headed to bed, I started feeling just a general stomach ache in my lower abdomen....

I made it to sleep, but within about an hour the pain woke me up. After about 15 minutes of pain, it subsided and I was able to get another 30 minutes of sleep. Then the exact same thing. Over, and over, and over, until noon.

Also, at around 9am I took an antacid, and my stomach didn't like that either.... so I puked.

The past week I've been pretty strict as to what I've been eating. Here's my menu for yesterday (before the stomach ache).

- plate of chicken ceasar salad
- about 3 or 4 devilled eggs
- 6 chicken wings
- 2 cups coffee (2 cream, 3 sweet)
- 4 cups crystal light
- 8 walnuts

I also worked out that day, for about 35 minutes only though.

Any ideas what is causing this? I'd like to find out because it is very painful. Last time this happened to me I was about to go to the hospital... but luckily it just died before I was about to go.

Another note: at one point when the pain did subside for a bit, I pressed against my abdomen muscle just to the sides of the belly button and that invoked the pain back again.

I don't even know if it is related to low carb or not.... Just hoping you guys knew!

Restart (June 08)
Start: 215
Now: 209
Goal: 170
Total: 6#s
a_shimoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KSue
Stats: 235/218/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I just got through reading a post on gall bladder problems. I understand that an attack can be very painful and last for several hours. The only thing is, your pain was in a different location. But maybe you can read the thread and learn a little more about it. Maybe someone else might have an idea that could help you. I hope you feel better!
KSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MandaSue
Stats: 204/180/145
Start Date: December 2006
Sounds like what I get when I drink too much SF Fruit Punch, SF Crystle Light, SF Lemonade...stuff like that. I've had it happen to me 3 times before I figured out that my stomach FREAKS out if I drink too much of it. It was totally just a gut ache, with no bathroom issues for me (I probably could of puked, but I knew it would all be acid). I just had to lay there, and drink lots of water to dilute the problem. Since then, if I plan to drink those things, I must only have a glass every several hours otherwise it's bound to happen to me.

Not sure if that's what triggers yours, but thats what does it for me. Once I saw the Crystle Light, I thought I'd offer my thoughts.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starwing925
Stats: 197/178/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: restart 10/3/11
Make sure you are not running a low grade fever. I think it would be a good idea to see your doctor. It could be any number of things for example, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcer, gastritis, constipation, appendicitis, gallbladder, etc. Good luck! And hopefully it just won't come back, but if it does it really wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.
Starwing925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]If it starts again you better go to the hospital. It may be appendicitis (sp?). You don't want to mess around with that. If you wait too long it could rupture which will release bacteria into your system.

Or it may be gall blabber like ksue posted.

Either way you don't want to take any chances![/COLOR]
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: a_shimoon
Stats: 231(orig)/215(restart)/209(now)/170(goal)
WOE: Custom (low carb)
Start Date: October 11, 2006 (Restart June 08)
Thanks for the responses guys! Thinking back, I don't normally drink that much Crystal Light.... so that could be the issue. Although, I have drank lots of Crystal Light before.

I'll cut back on the CL, but I'll also keep an eye on it because the symptoms are very similar to that of the gallbladder.

Keep posting if you have more info or ideas!
a_shimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MandaSue
Stats: 204/180/145
Start Date: December 2006
ps...Starwing has a good point. Check your temp! Usually if you are developing issues with your appendix or gall bladder, it will begin (but not always) with a slightly elevated temp. Generally though if you have only felt this pain last night and a few months ago, I doubt it is anything serious. If you were having chronic painful episodes like this OR the pain was so intense that you did require medical attention then I would guess the appendix or gall bladder might be the cause.

In any case, if it really bothers you, go see a doc. They'll run some tests, and then you'll know. People come in for it all the time!
MandaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jennmc31
Stats: 216/150/120
WOE: atkins/low carb/gluten free
Start Date: January 4, 2007
It sounds like your gallbladder to me. I just had mine out about 4 mths ago and it strains those muscles so much that mine were sore when I pressed also. I never had a fever just the pain. Get an ultrasound and they can rule out gallbladder stones. Mine started with indigestion type pain a few months before I got the full blown pain and when I took antacid I also puked. Good luck. There is more info on this under gallbladder as the topic.
jennmc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NicinChicago
I know these symptoms very well, they first started happening to me 2 1/2 years ago. I could not pinpoint a cause - it would hurt for 2 or 3 days and then go away for months. There have been nights where I cried with pain; the only reason I didn't go to the hospital is b/c my mother once said "Maybe it's gas", and I could not imagine going to the ER just to get that diagnosis!

Anyway, after being misdiagnosed by my dr I went back a year later and was told I have IBS. More appropriately it's spastic colon - if I eat a large quantity of food, spicy food, or if it's just having a bad day, my intestines will work too hard to move the food through my body. There's no real cause or cure (I still haven't been able to pinpoint anything specific), although my doc recommended taking Metamucil everyday. It still hurts every now and then, in fact I just had a bad couple of nights. But the last time it hurt before that was in September.

Of course these symptoms are common to the other things suggested so far too, so the best advice is to consult your physician.
NicinChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweepy
Stats: 151/148/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1/2/2012//3/25/2012
I actually was looking up on Google exactly this because I figured it might be due to the LC diet also. I just started the diet on Mon. and since then my lower abdomen has been acting up. Almost feels like I have gas or a tightness like you've said. I find its most painful when I've been sitting for a while then I stand or right after I eat for about an hour. Almost like when your bladder stretches from holding your bathroom then when you finally go it has that pain as I guess it goes back to its normal size. Thanks for posting about it. It may be something more than the diet (to me it might be the diet), but just in case I'll go to my dr end of nxt week if it continues.
sweepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/163.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_shimoon View Post
Hey guys,

I haven't posted in a while, but I've been around reading the boards.

Reason why I am posting:

Last night, for the second time, I experienced the worst stomach ache of my life.

This also happened to me a few months ago.

Basically, at about 1 or 2am, when I headed to bed, I started feeling just a general stomach ache in my lower abdomen....

I made it to sleep, but within about an hour the pain woke me up. After about 15 minutes of pain, it subsided and I was able to get another 30 minutes of sleep. Then the exact same thing. Over, and over, and over, until noon.

Also, at around 9am I took an antacid, and my stomach didn't like that either.... so I puked.

The past week I've been pretty strict as to what I've been eating. Here's my menu for yesterday (before the stomach ache).

- plate of chicken ceasar salad
- about 3 or 4 devilled eggs
- 6 chicken wings
- 2 cups coffee (2 cream, 3 sweet)
- 4 cups crystal light
- 8 walnuts

I also worked out that day, for about 35 minutes only though.

Any ideas what is causing this? I'd like to find out because it is very painful. Last time this happened to me I was about to go to the hospital... but luckily it just died before I was about to go.

Another note: at one point when the pain did subside for a bit, I pressed against my abdomen muscle just to the sides of the belly button and that invoked the pain back again.

I don't even know if it is related to low carb or not.... Just hoping you guys knew!
Maybe it's a stomach flu? My 9 year old said he had "a very bad stomach ache" when I tucked him into bed last night, my eldest hurt some racket upstairs and went to check it out, he called me up there saying "you HAVE to see this!!" my 9 year old had thrown up more throw up than I have ever seen in my life (the boy is a barfer so vomit doesn't even phase me anymore, but this was GROSS!!!). we got the bathroom and my son all cleaned up and tucked back in bed, he said he felt much better. 1/2 hour later same thing but not as much vomit (Thank the Lord!), retucked him, he said he felt better but has a small fever this morning. He says he feels better though. I figure he has a stomach flu bacause he only eats low carb for Breakfast and dinner but they were both typical meals for him. Tis the season for illnesses, you probably picked up something from someone. feel better!!!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Hard to say what it is, mention it to your Dr. Symptoms of gallstones but could be other things too.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
Start Date: 10/01/2012
This original post is from 2007
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Resident crazy dog lady

LOL, well I hope the OP is doing well!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
LOL, well I hope the OP is doing well!!!
me too
Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
Resident crazy dog lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
me too
You silly star!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
You silly star!!!
hahaha! I read this whole thread before I realized it was from 5 years ago. I didn't think I recognized some of the names

oh goodness
Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Becky, I hope your son feels better soon! there definitely is a stomach bug going around here. i hope it does come to my household
Old 01-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Quote:
i hope it does come to my household
This thread is getting weirder!
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
This thread is getting weirder!
oh shoot!

I hope it does NOT come to my household!

I guess if it did, I would lose weight faster. Not a great way to lose it though
Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Miss Sarah
Stats: 268/257/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 01.01.2012
YES! This happened to me just yesterday! I thought I had food poisoning at first! It got soooo bad that I went to the hospital. They told me to come off of the low carbs because the ketones in my urine were so high and if I continued I would knock my kidneys out.

I am still having on and off little cramps and twinges today. It was the worst thing ever! It felt like contractions of going into labour. I was in tears with it!
Miss Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSue View Post
I just got through reading a post on gall bladder problems. I understand that an attack can be very painful and last for several hours. The only thing is, your pain was in a different location. But maybe you can read the thread and learn a little more about it. Maybe someone else might have an idea that could help you. I hope you feel better!
I was gonna say the same!! My husband had his gall bladder removed, but the symptoms prior to this having to be done sound very similar to what you are experiencing!!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
This original post is from 2007
LOL...Why the heck did someone bump that!?
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
LOL...Why the heck did someone bump that!?
Idk! I read this whole thread and realized it was old! 5 years old!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KipKasper
Stats: 225/206/190
Although this thread is old, it has a good Google rank, and other might come here looking for info.

When I first started low carb, my GP had me also start a few supplements (D, magnesium & Glucosamine/Controiton). Not because of the Low carb, but for other reasons. Anyway, after a few weeks I started getting stomach cramps and aches, and after the second month I was starting to vomit once a week and suffering from a vasovagal syncope in relation to the vomiting. I got off the lowcarb, and things got a bit better, but then I stopped taking the supplements and the pains completely stopped. Turns out I'm sensitive to the binders used in most pills and supplements, and it is not very uncommon.

I now take my Vitamon D in a liquid form and have started low carb again without trouble.
KipKasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiddlejen
Stats: 296 oh no!!/287/..a whole lot less!!..
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: IF 2013->Atkins 2/20. 3/13 aiming for Atkins Again
Vitamin Binders

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipKasper View Post
Although this thread is old, it has a good Google rank, and other might come here looking for info.

...I got off the lowcarb, and things got a bit better, but then I stopped taking the supplements and the pains completely stopped. Turns out I'm sensitive to the binders used in most pills and supplements, and it is not very uncommon.

I now take my Vitamon D in a liquid form and have started low carb again without trouble.
Now THIS is interesting! I haven't been able to take any multi-vitamins since about ten years ago, because they make me sick to my stomach. I've tried different brands & different formulations, but I cannot take any vitamin pills. They make me very sick to my stomach & sometimes with pain too.

However, I do take a few liquid supplements, a fizzy calc-mag drink & vitamin D oil drops, which work fine. I've wondered many times what the problem was, but I never heard anything about the Binders in vitamins. I betcha that's my problem!!!
fiddlejen is offline   Reply With Quote