Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #61
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascounselor View Post
My friend has lost 68 pounds in the last year, and eats popcorn at the movies almost every week. She says the key is to saturate it with butter to lower the glycemic index.... not popular, just telling her experience. Other than that, she is a stickler for the Atkin's rules.
ooooh saturated w/ butter..good theoryWhen I do get movie Theatre popcorn I always tell them,I want a little popcorn w/ my butter
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
Beware! That's usually NOT real butter at the movies! Melt your own and smuggle it in!
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
If you go to the very bottom of your Edit Signature page (access through your user control panel), there is a spot to upload a picture for your siggy either from your computer or from a URL. As for the color fonts here, there are none.
Thanks Eliza!
When I wrote that note to ramsgal back in 2007, there was not that option to put the picture in the signature. I hadn't back in there recently to see the new options. And I realized when looking at her post again, that the thumbnail she had was not in her signature, as I apparently thought it was. (Been so long ago I'm not even sure now. ) And I do now know how to put the thumbnails in a post. Not sure if I did then or not.
And back then, we COULD use the color fonts in our posts. Hence the codes in many of our older posts! No way to edit them out now!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyheart1
Stats: 218/maintaining 140-143/141
WOE: The Insulin Resistance Diet
Start Date: 7/09/07
zizi, I didn't see your question until today. 16 gms of popped corn is about 2 cups. I found the info back in the late 1990's, so I'm not sure where. I'm thinking maybe the Popcorn Board???
happyheart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristen777
Start Date: 1/2/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizi View Post
Beware! That's usually NOT real butter at the movies! Melt your own and smuggle it in!
imagining people smuggling in flasks full of hot butter
kristen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
I did it!

P. S. Thanks, Happyheart!

Last edited by zizi; 02-17-2011 at 08:43 PM..
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #67
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
popcorn is the official snack of my office.

i have bought it for them on occasion. i love the aroma. However, i will have a diet Swiss Miss hot choc while they are enjoying the popcorn. I am too cheap a troll to buy any food at the movies. For the price of a small size of movie popcorn, u can buy a 40 acre field of corn. But, popcorn is a no-no during ATKINS Induction, and depending on one's metabolism, on OWL as well. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
i have bought it for them on occasion. i love the aroma. However, i will have a diet Swiss Miss hot choc while they are enjoying the popcorn. I am too cheap a troll to buy any food at the movies. For the price of a small size of movie popcorn, u can buy a 40 acre field of corn. But, popcorn is a no-no during ATKINS Induction, and depending on one's metabolism, on OWL as well. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Me too flatferenghi!!!
Shoot, I haven't even been to the movies in years!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #69

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 207 View Post
Hey Everyone! I've always loved popcorn and ate it on occasion the last time I was on Atkins and it really didn't seem to hurt----but I need to know the true numbers----if anyone truly knows. I know the microwaveable kind is loaded with salt, as is the kind at the movies, but what is the CARB DAMAGE?
It doesn't seem that bad on the package!
If anyone can break it down for me please let me know!
Movie Kind? (favorite but dangerous)
ACT II w/butter? (love it at home)
Air Popped? (never really had it)

As Always thanks for the help!

I have eaten popcorn "on occassion" last time with no ill effects but as the other posters stated....IF you can stick to that 1 cup serving. Most can't.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #70

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
.IF you can stick to that 1 cup serving. Most can't.
**Raises hand**

When I do popcorn it's an all out binge......no measuring, just eat, clean myself up physically and mentally and get back on plan. 1 cup would be torture so I just don't make it unless I'm a bingin legally....Consequently, that's only about 4 times a year.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/189/135 (11-Jun)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I found a wonderful new popcorn popper - mini sized, cooks it slowly so doesn't burn - and the volume is only 3 quarts. On my third popper in about 2 months.

#1 - put the plastic top in the oven until I could wash it (accidentally turned oven on) - oops
#2 - cooked way too fast and popcorn almost burnt (taking it back)
#3 - Deni brand, small clear dome, cooks slowly (my little one loves to watch), pushes the popcorn around while it pops and we have small mixing bowl to share - it's nice to be able to control the volume made

I settled on a recipe that me and the little miss enjoy - 1/4 cup organic popcorn, 1 T coconut oil, let it spin (there are automatic arm that swirls the popcorn around so it doesn't burn) and as soon as it stops popping, we pop it over on the dome lid and finely grind some salt. Popcorn is crisp, not soggy. It's small enough portion for the two of us to enjoy - and quite inexpensive. Overall, I think the popper will pay for itself in a few months, esp. when bulk popcorn is only like $1.19 a pound. I like being able to just make a little.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: IWILLDOIT1978
Stats: 266/?/ just to be healthy again!! :)
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: 11-4-06 restart 4/4/2013
Found some tonight at Walgreens!! 12 carbs per serving and only 39 per cup!! A serving size is 4 cups though!! Skinny Pop Popcorn is what it was called!! I tried it and my daughter and hubby and I all loved it!! Could use a little more salt though I thought!!
IWILLDOIT1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Man, I WISH I could do popcorn... I used to frequent a bar over the summer last year (and by frequent I mean I was there every night chugging down beers and fishbowls ) that had a freaking popcorn machine right in the bar! And of course they used LOTS of butter too, so you could smell it no matter where you sat. AND IT WAS FREE AND UNLIMITED! Talk about torture!!

I've been there only twice this year so far, and I'm happy to say that the first time I just resisted and told them not to bring any over... the second time I limited myself to only one bowl at the table, and my roommate ate most of it. I just nibbled. I WAS up a pound or two the next day, so I'm not sure if that was from the carby nature of the popcorn itself or the excess salt since I had ordered a pretty salty dish too (cobb salad) but yeah... I have to stay away from it. It's just too delicious
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post
If you're going to make popcorn at home ... why not just throw it into a pan with hot oil?

I guess I really AM old, that no one thinks that's the best way to make it anymore.

I think the air-poppers came out in the 70's, just when the "food pyramid" folks were getting ramped up and fat was bad.
That is what I was thinking,mind you in New Zealand microwave popcorn has only just stopped being a novelty and most people still pop it in a saucepan with a knob of butter or a splash of oil.
I was 30 before I knew you could get it any other way.I cooked mine on the stove and melted extra butter in a coffee mug in the microwave.I guess once I have lost the weight and hit maintenance I will do this again if I feel like a bit.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I love Skinny Pop popcorn! It's not Primal so I don't eat it often but I adore popcorn and figure it's okay for an occasional treat. I add sea salt to it but otherwise -- it's perfect.

kiwistars, it's good that most people don't eat the microwave crap where you live.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
sadly they have started to pick it up over here during the last ten years.We now get Act II popcorn and maybe a couple of others.I tried it.Man it is nasty!!All I could taste was chemicals.We also get a lot of sugary junk and some TV dinners and we are now the 3rd or 4th fattest nation in the western world
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Popcorn is my biggest weakness and the only thing I actually miss. Even reading this thread has given me cravings.
Hayek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Oh, gee. Just talking about movie popcorn snothered with smuggled butter has my mouth watering! For shame. I'll bet my body has pumped enough insulin just thinking about it to make me gain two pounds! Gotta go read something else quick.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Oh, are we talking about popcorn again?

I had to stay out of the movie theater for months when I first started LC. Too much temptation. But now I go to a movie or 2 per month, and I get a small popcorn. There is no effect on my blood sugar, so, yay!

I also have a Stir Crazy popper that I use about once a month at home. I pop the corn in coconut oil, and always the smallest amount allowed in the popper. I adore popcorn, and luckily I'm able to control it to a reasonable amount.
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post
If you're going to make popcorn at home ... why not just throw it into a pan with hot oil?

I guess I really AM old, that no one thinks that's the best way to make it anymore.

I think the air-poppers came out in the 70's, just when the "food pyramid" folks were getting ramped up and fat was bad.
Ha, I really AM that old too. That's the way we always made it growing up.

But now I'm a huge fan of the air popper---less messy, easier and fast. Plus, if you're worried about portion control, you can learn how many kernals equals a cup or two---5 to 10 carbs---and that's all she wrote, there is no more.

Load it up with some butter, and parmesan cheese and you've taken the the sting out of any blood sugar spike. I think it's great for a treat now and then,
but eating it at the movies IS scary. Too easy to just mindlessly eat a bucket and that face butter is horrible for you.

We air pop and butter our own, and smuggle it into the theater in my big old purse.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
I do! Air-popped tastes like Styrofoam to me. I pop it in liquid coconut oil, then pour melted butter on top and dust with lovely sea salt. (Three cup limit for me, and I have to adjust other carbs during the day, but sooooo worth it!)
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 69yr.old 4'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
I have not read the posts here but plan to, but I wanted to say that what I do to really eat popcorn as healthy as I can is - put a tablespoon of olive oil in a small pan and turn on high and grab the popcorn and put in one or two tablespoons of popcorn on top of oil. Cover and shake once and awhile. This takes about a comercial on TV, or about 2 or 3 minutes from the dash to the kitchen to back to the TV.
I am wondering if Coconut oil would be healthier. Anyone know?