Old 01-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #31
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sarmay
Stats: 299/261.8/150
WOE: WW Flex WI-Sunday
Start Date: March 2008
I wasn't craving popcorn until I read this. *drools*

Ahem. However, I refuse to give in.

(And I agree, both from a health-conscious and taste standpoint, air-popped popcorn is better.)
Sarmay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #32
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LoveMyGSDs
Stats: original:240/150/150 (24/6/8) current: 194/178/150
WOE: Atkins (1999 version-total carbs)
Start Date: original: 9/12/2001 current: 1/2/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Therefore, I refuse to support this. And from your microwave? You don't breath any in when you open that bag? What happens from factory to home that prevents this?
Good for you. I'm not saying it should be supported by any means. Though, if we start looking at labor injustices and boycotting products, we'd be left with precious few products to select from. It's certainly an individual decision.

What happens is the volume. The factory workers are exposed to it for probably 10-12 hours a day 5-7 days per week. It's similar to lab rats getting cancer from too much artificial sweetener. The results are deceptive unless you know that they were consuming their body weight in artificial sweetener per day.

I would also imagine that there's a difference between breating in fine particles of the actual powdered butter topping and breathing in the aroma of it once it's been in your microwave and is no longer in it's powdered form. I would liken this to asbestos. Asbestos in a finished product rarely caused illness. It was the workers who installed and/or removed it (using tools to cut and and causing paticles to be disperced in the air) who have a very high incidenct of asbestos related diseases.

Size 14 Size 12 Size 10 Size 8 Size 6 ?Size 4?

Proud member of the "Stall Breakers and Goal Makers" challenge!

Charter Member of The NoMoYoYo Challenge
LoveMyGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Caty
I can smell it as it is popping with real butter poured all over with salt.

Lets change the subject.
Caty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #34
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caty View Post
I can smell it as it is popping with real butter poured all over with salt.

Lets change the subject.
I agree. That's a treat that I can't indulge in until I hit maintenance!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LisaWV
Stats: 352/243/140
WOE: Open Trap - Insert Food
Start Date: Jan 2003
popcorn = the Devil

That is all...
LisaWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGlaze View Post
Good for you. I'm not saying it should be supported by any means. Though, if we start looking at labor injustices and boycotting products, we'd be left with precious few products to select from. It's certainly an individual decision.

What happens is the volume. The factory workers are exposed to it for probably 10-12 hours a day 5-7 days per week. It's similar to lab rats getting cancer from too much artificial sweetener. The results are deceptive unless you know that they were consuming their body weight in artificial sweetener per day.

I would also imagine that there's a difference between breating in fine particles of the actual powdered butter topping and breathing in the aroma of it once it's been in your microwave and is no longer in it's powdered form. I would liken this to asbestos. Asbestos in a finished product rarely caused illness. It was the workers who installed and/or removed it (using tools to cut and and causing paticles to be disperced in the air) who have a very high incidenct of asbestos related diseases.

ahh interesting! thank you! You're right with your first paragraph! We'd be boycotting everyone!

So, stay away from microwaved transfats.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #37
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
ahh interesting! thank you! You're right with your first paragraph! We'd be boycotting everyone!

So, stay away from microwaved transfats.
You're welcome.

I try so hard to stay away from ALL transfats. I guess it would help if I lived in NYC and the restaurants just couldn't use/serve them.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabfit
WOE: atkins
Start Date: jan 02,2007 @ 220, feb 02 -209, mar 2 - 205/ 202
I love popcorn too, but it always seemed like one of those food items with hidden evil of making you kinda wanna keep eating till it's clear out of site Well at least that how it works 4 me.

Honestly I think that since corn is a starchy veg ( hi impact carb), and since popcorn is essentially still corn.. then you might want to seriously reconsider choosing nutritionally empty vs more gratifying whole foods
wannabfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: suziqcu
WOE: Low Carb newbie
Start Date: February 3, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bfitb440 View Post
popcorn is one of the few things I would allow myself while low carbing. It never knocked me out of ketosis.
Is the carb count kernels? Or popped corn? I love making my own and putting parmesan cheese, butter, etc on it. Soooo much better than microwaved, we used to smuggle into theaters. But now that I'm on low carb. (Atkins said for me to start at phase 2) I fear it will be my nemesis!
suziqcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #40

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
If you are making microwave popcorn at home, please make your own bags of it. So much better for you, so much cheaper, and easy! Plus you can make just a wee bit and no more, so helps you with portion control if you have control issues.

Microwave Popcorn: Home made, cheap and easy
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 215 / ??? / 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/1/2014 (again)
If you're going to make popcorn at home ... why not just throw it into a pan with hot oil?

I guess I really AM old, that no one thinks that's the best way to make it anymore.

I think the air-poppers came out in the 70's, just when the "food pyramid" folks were getting ramped up and fat was bad.
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: texascounselor
My friend has lost 68 pounds in the last year, and eats popcorn at the movies almost every week. She says the key is to saturate it with butter to lower the glycemic index.... not popular, just telling her experience. Other than that, she is a stickler for the Atkin's rules.
texascounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
JMHO. There are a lot worse things you can fall off the wagon for. I ate a small bag of popcorn a couple of weeks ago and I don't think I noticed the slightest blip in my weight chart.
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabethin57
WOE: low carb my way
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascounselor View Post
My friend has lost 68 pounds in the last year, and eats popcorn at the movies almost every week. She says the key is to saturate it with butter to lower the glycemic index.... not popular, just telling her experience. Other than that, she is a stickler for the Atkin's rules.
My point exactly!
wannabethin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #45

Gallery: fawn
I will pop some organic popcorn every once in a while. I like to use the old fashion method on the stove in a pot but we use coconut oil.

I bought an air popper for ease but hubby doesn't like it. It's kind of chewy......

load it up with kerrygold and yeah baby!
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascounselor View Post
That's actually a lot like loading the baked potato with butter and sour cream.

I think both the potato and the popping corn have similar glycemic index ratings and are similar in glycemic load. (give or take a couple of points)
Old 02-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Oooooold thread!
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCWizard View Post
Oooooold thread!
Yup. A fun subject to revisit periodically.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-22-08
I LOVE POPCORN!

I did not eat any during my initial weight loss. I agree w/ Jenn, stay away from it until you make it to some weight you want to keep at & make it a treat. I did not go to the movies specifically because of the popcorn temptation.

When you do have your popcorn, cook it naturally in a big heavy pot in oil (makes a lot) & DRENCH IT IN THE BUTTER

Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaSage
WOE: LC/No grains/gluten free/real food
Start Date: October 15, 2010
Quote:
I will pop some organic popcorn every once in a while. I like to use the old fashion method on the stove in a pot but we use coconut oil.

I bought an air popper for ease but hubby doesn't like it. It's kind of chewy......

load it up with kerrygold and yeah baby!
Mmmm....A little nutritional yeast and some sea salt in that combo, and I'm a happy girl!
MamaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyheart1
Stats: 218/maintaining 140-143/141
WOE: The Insulin Resistance Diet
Start Date: 7/09/07
After thoroughly researching this very issue, I found that 16 gms of plain popped popcorn = 12.4 carbs , 10 NC, & 50 calories. I put about 3 T. kernals in a brown paper lunch sack, fold it over X2 at the top & pop on hi in MW 1 min & 50 secs in my MW. I measure out 16 gms & then pour 1 T. melted butter over it & then sprinkle some salt on it. A yummy, yummy treat for 10 NC & 150 calories.
happyheart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post
If you're going to make popcorn at home ... why not just throw it into a pan with hot oil?

I guess I really AM old, that no one thinks that's the best way to make it anymore.

I think the air-poppers came out in the 70's, just when the "food pyramid" folks were getting ramped up and fat was bad.
I think just making your own microwave popcorn in a plain brown bag/sack just saves having to wash up the oiled pan and it's lid, and then the bowl you pour the corn into, etc.

Just quicker in the microwave and no oily pans and lids and bowls to clean up afterward.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post
...I think the air-poppers came out in the 70's, just when the "food pyramid" folks were getting ramped up and fat was bad.
Hi ph-gal…
The best use I ever made of an air popper was to learn how to roast coffee in it.

Yup - 2T oil in a pan for 1/2cup corn kernels (45 net carbs), then cover it with melted butter...

This is not aimed at anyone specifically…I just need to say something…

I'm not doing health-conscious low carb, so it doesn't bother me if my wife wants to microwave her popcorn, or if I have nitrate in my bacon, or cage fed eggs, aspartame in my diet soda, soy in my protein shakes etc.

My wife and I are 62 yrs old and neither suffering medical ailments, despite me spending at least 58 of those years eating in a most unhealthy manner.

So I take a lot of the health advice in the forum with a grain of salt, and with my eyes squinted (so I can think about what's being purported).

I also don't read studies anymore, because the people who write studies have to make money writing them, and unless their studies are 'very-radical' they never get published.

I'm also not an anti-healthy eater, and at 110lbs lower than I was 2˝ yrs ago, I'll settle for being a bit 'risky' with my foods now to keep enjoying (perhaps even furthering) my losses of pounds and inches and enjoy my foods…

Not everyone has the means to pop corn the old fashioned way, but if it keeps them on course, then I say micro-on!

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi ph-gal…
The best use I ever made of an air popper was to learn how to roast coffee in it.
Roast coffee in your corn popper???? Can you elaborate on that? Do you mind? Sounds very interesting. Never heard of that before.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Roast coffee in your corn popper???? Can you elaborate on that? Do you mind? Sounds very interesting. Never heard of that before.
Hi c-woman…
Many home coffee roasters started out roasting our coffee beans in a hot-air popper before we graduated to more sophisticated roasters. It's actually fun and easy to do, and a good training ground for learning to roast.

But it is an out-of-doors in spring-summer-fall activity since the air temperature affects the ability of an air popper to heat the beans sufficiently.

Here's a page with a video or two that Tom at Sweet Maria's Coffee made for home roasters - and he is the vendor who I buy all my green coffee from (and have for over 12 years now).

Air Roasting Coffee - click

I realize his is indoors - just know it's in a vented warehouse where his commercial roasters are. If you have one of those, you can roast indoors too...

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Thanks lj...! I'll check it out tomorrow. Too sleepy now to think straight.

I have roasted coffee before, but really didn't know how to do it right. We roasted it in our oven. Boy did it stink while roasting (at least at first till it was almost done). And we had some that really hadn't dried well yet when we first started doing it. (Long story) As the beans got older, the coffee got much better!!!!

I like my coffee, but I'm not all that much of a gourmet coffee person. So I'm not really all that interested in actually roasting my own, but I was very interested or curious about roasting it in the air popper. Who knows, maybe someday I will obtain raw beans again, and give it a try. ???

Thanks again for the link!!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
Happyheart,

Where did you find this carb count for 16 grams of popped popcorn; that seems like a lot of popcorn! How much popcorn is 16 grams in terms of volume/cups? Would the carb count be the same if I popped it in oil on the stove top?

Kaaren:

Any popcorn I make will be DRENCHED in European-style butter; does that really blunt the glycemic spike? I've heard that it does for baked potatoes--something else I seldom touch anymore. I seem to occasionally get away with a medium sized potato with loads o' butter and no gain the next day. I would love to occasionally have my popcorn, too.

Air popped popcorn tastes like Styrofoam--BLECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Z

Last edited by zizi; 02-14-2011 at 05:12 AM..
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #58

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR=red][/COLOR][COLOR=red]ramsgal,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Click on User Control Panel, on the bar above. Then click Edit Avatar. You can either use one of their Avatars, of if you are wanting your pic (which you said), then go to the bottom of that page. You can either upload from a site like PhotoBucket or you can upload from your computer. Just make sure it is sized according to their specs. It tells you the maximum you can use. Hope this helps.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I haven't been able to figure out how to put in the thumbnails like you did. [/COLOR]
If you go to the very bottom of your Edit Signature page (access through your user control panel), there is a spot to upload a picture for your siggy either from your computer or from a URL. As for the color fonts here, there are none.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #59

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizi View Post
Happyheart,

Where did you find this carb count for 16 grams of popped popcorn; that seems like a lot of popcorn! How much popcorn is 16 grams in terms of volume/cups? Would the carb count be the same if I popped it on oil on the stove top?

Thanks!

Z
16 grams should be the weight of 16 small paperclips. So, not too much, unfortunately, even for light popcorn.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
AWWWW, man! I was drooling in anticipation....
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote