Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Easy Tips to stay LC (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/458818-easy-tips-stay-lc.html)

sbarr 11-11-2006 09:17 AM

Easy Tips to stay LC

Lots of people are struggling right now staying on plan. For those who have success tips - EASY BULLET POINTS, let's share them - maybe it'll trigger something in someone who might say: "hey, good idea, I'm gonna give it a try".

I'm not the LC poster child, by any stretch of the imagination, but I have lost 52# in 22 months and while I've stumbled, I NEVER QUIT. I've over-eaten, I've regretted loss of control, but I NEVER QUIT.

Mine:

Keep the house clean - no temptation - it's easy to justify one cookie, but who stops? I don't, so I don't keep them in the house

Have a fall-back LC snack for when you tempted (for me, it's a slice of mozzarella and I can nibble that - protein and fat - and it just makes me feel better)

And my mantra - if you cheat, go shopping, get the right food and get back on track immediately. Each day off plan is a day of track and harder to get back on track. You may stumble, but DON'T QUIT - it's a life commitment and if you quit a life commitment, then what are you telling yourself about how much you care about yourself?

Who else wants to share simple ideas!

Sandra

ixtapacheryl 11-11-2006 09:24 AM

I love your thoughts on "the more days off plan - the harder it is to get back"..... gosh is that true for me. I'm glad you put that in writing - because I have experienced it but never really thought about it in those terms....

I guess KajunDC made a great statement - you are not doing this for any special event, vacation, holiday, etc. You are doing it for your health and a side benefit is you will look better. Boy that sure struck a nerve with me - because I was always dieting for some special occasion and once it was over I would go back to my normal eating pattern. The yo/yo'ing was horrible....

sbarr 11-11-2006 09:39 AM

Another one - don't let a meal or a day of poor choices be an excuse to quit. Let that meal or day be a motivator to do better the next day.

In other words, an indulgence should be the deviation and responsible eating should be the norm. Be RELIEVED that you're back on plan the next day.

I go out to eat with "he who frustrates me but I still adore" once a week or so, and it might result in a bit of responsible indulgence, but I'm 100% back on plan the next day - no exceptions.

LibertyJen 11-14-2006 05:00 PM

Celebrate all the great things you CAN eat instead of worrying about what you cannot

Find recipes to substitute those foods you miss ... today I went out for Italian with co-workers. I ate a salad. They gobbled up pasta. Tonight I made eggplant parmagiana with that restaurant's pasta sauce ... and I made garlic cheese crackers to dip in the sauce instead of garlic bread. Hmmmmm...I am so spoiled!

Drink water. If you are frustrated, Drink more water. If you are happy, Drink more water. If you are sad, Drink more water. My mom always tells me to drink more water.

Surround yourself in legal snacks! There a million of them ... and if they are on hand (I keep salty snacks, sweet snacks, crunchy snacks, drinkable snacks) ... you will not feel deprived.

I have yet to find a restaurant in which I could not eat ... except maybe my favorite Chinese joint ... but I haven't gone in there lately. You don't need a Low Carb menu ... think it through and ask them to cater their recipes for you.

You stumble, you get up, that is called life. It is not over until you decide to throw in the towel, so the power is always within you to get up again.

Goldenrod 11-14-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyJen (Post 7745129)
Drink water. If you are frustrated, Drink more water. If you are happy, Drink more water. If you are sad, Drink more water. My mom always tells me to drink more water.

Thanks for the reminder! *reaches for water bottle*...*glug, glug, glug*

Charski 11-14-2006 05:45 PM

When you eat out, don't tempt yourself - ask them to NOT bring the bread basket to the table.

Scope out the menu for your own personal combinations - for example, at Chart House, they have this killer good sauteed baby bok choy that they serve with some of the fish entrees. I simply ask them to give me THAT instead of the broccoli/red pepper combo (as I just get TIRED of broccoli!) with whatever I'm ordering, prime rib, steak etc. - I've never had them refuse to make the substitution. If you ask nicely most restaurants are happy to accommodate your wishes - they want you to come BACK after all!

Always keep something in your desk drawer for emergencies at work - I keep foil packets of tuna, a can of LC soup, some Atkins Endulge candy bars, some nuts - that way I'm not tempted when the pharmacy reps bring in crap from Starbucks or someplace worse!

Plan to SUCCEED, not to FAIL! Keep at it til you make it a habit!

Momto2boysNJ 11-14-2006 05:48 PM

Hi everyone.

I like to think of this woe as "choices" As with everything in life we make choices. hundreds of them daily.

And sometimes we make bad choices.
Yell at the kids for something that they probably did not deserve to be yelled at for? Well you dont' stop parenting... you learn and you move on.

Well this woe is just like that. If you've made a bad choice, learn from it and move on.

But mostly importantly, be prepared. If you have a party to go to, fill up on a nice lc meal BEFORE you go to the party. this will keep your hands away from those oh so tempting h'or douvers (sp? LOL)

pamhart 11-14-2006 05:58 PM

Exercise helps you take the weight off, helps even more in KEEPING the weight off, and helps both mental and physical health. Don't skip it.

lowcarbette 11-14-2006 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ixtapacheryl (Post 7728598)
Boy that sure struck a nerve with me - because I was always dieting for some special occasion and once it was over I would go back to my normal eating pattern. The yo/yo'ing was horrible....

Boy, is this familiar to me. I've been doing this as long as I can remember. That's a long time. Here's to not doing that any more. :kicking:

Reta 11-14-2006 06:41 PM

This is great. Keep them coming.

tyler43836 11-14-2006 06:47 PM

Don't let yourself fall into a rut-eating the same things day after day. Experiment. Try new recipes. I try at least one new one per week.

sadie_adriana 11-14-2006 06:48 PM

This is what I do when tempted w/ the wrong foods

I Eat any protein, with a good amount of fat in or on it.
examples
a can of tuna w/mayonnaise
chicken with mayo/ franks hot sauce
deviled eggs with alot of mayo
leftover meats

the trick for me to get my mind off of eating the wrong thing is to consume alot (not a gross amount) of fat. It has saved me so many times, its way better than going off and feeling badly later.

SugarFreeSheila 11-14-2006 06:48 PM

When making your decisions right now, always keep tomorrow in mind. Will eating this make you look forward to wearing something body-conscious? If not, skip it.

CarolynF 11-14-2006 07:20 PM

And, don't let yourself get tooo hungry because you will eat too much of even LC things..like mac nuts..or portion them out into little baggies..

It's better to carry an Atkins bar for emergencies because it is portion controlled..

When I have non-lcers over for dinner, I always cook lowcarb and I might
bake some crescent rolls for them..but everything else is LC.

Goldenrod 11-14-2006 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila (Post 7745771)
When making your decisions right now, always keep tomorrow in mind. Will eating this make you look forward to wearing something body-conscious? If not, skip it.

LOL...I read something great about this a while back. In fact, Sheila, I think it was on *your* website! You said something to the effect of, if you're going to cheat, do it naked, in front of a mirror -- see how much that makes you not want to cheat. I can't say I've ever actually done that, but the mere thought of it makes me not want to cheat! :sick:

One of the smartest pieces of advice to stay clean!

-Amy

My_Sharona 11-14-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenrod (Post 7746261)
LOL...I read something great about this a while back. In fact, Sheila, I think it was on *your* website! You said something to the effect of, if you're going to cheat, do it naked, in front of a mirror -- see how much that makes you not want to cheat. I can't say I've ever actually done that, but the mere thought of it makes me not want to cheat! :sick:

Amy, that was me, I've told many to go ahead and cheat, the only stipulation is that if you're going to cheat, eat that forbidden food in front of a mirror NAKKID, guarantee you won’t let that food pass your lips :laugh:

At times when it really gets bad and nothing seems to help out, I'll take a tsp of L-Glutamine powder to help fight those sugar and carbohydrate cravings instantly!

AllieCat0817 11-15-2006 05:36 AM

Just do it

Purple Sage 11-15-2006 05:56 AM

Don't cheat during the wt loss stage.

Don't get frustrated when someone posts that they lost 15 pounds during induction and you only lost 8....we are all different. Just focus on not being where you were 2 months ago or even 2 weeks ago.

Be patient

Don't cheat, it is only cheating yourself, only hurting you.

Plan ahead

Buy a goal outfit and try it on often

Keep your kitchen clean, you will be more likely to cook and eat at home if your kitchen is clean.

Read the book often.

Don't stay on induction the whole time, especially if you are doing atkins and south beach. the plans are written to help you learn healthy eating and the ladders and phases are a part of that. If you eat induction levels until maintenence you are setting yourself up for failure.

Oh, and in case I didn't say this enough....DON'T CHEAT!!!!!!!

cmiller130 11-15-2006 12:28 PM

I have a problem with nighttime "nibbling" - especially when my family is stuffing their faces in front of me and the TV. To help with this, I'm always working on embroidry, punch needle, sewing, etc. Then my hands are busy and I'm not paying attention to what is going on around me. This will help now with Christmas around the corner. We are on a tight budget and I make a lot of Christmas gifts.

wastednuffime 11-16-2006 09:33 AM

Great Topic!!

Ok,,here are some of mine....

When I am tempted by whatever....I tell myself that its ONLY a feeling..NOT a comand to "Act"...meaning that I Don't "Have to" eat that cookie, chip, yada, yada...Also if I wait a few minutes..the feeling WILL pass!!...Waiting it out truly does work!!

Another thing,...Don't wait for that feeling of "Motivation" to come over you...YOU have to go to the motivation..not the other way around... Seek out that motivation thru pictures, magazines, clothes shopping, Coming Here to LC Friends!! :)...and so on...

Keep ( make) some LC treats to have on hand for those times when you are craving that something sweet.

If you fall off plan get right back on...NOT tomorrow..but Today!! even if you have already eaten XY&Z....My thought is this...ANY time that you are not actually physically eating...then you are ALREADY back on track!!...

A good mug of coffee ( or tea..whatever..) Works wonders!! I am in love with my afternoon mug of decaf with splends, cream and cinnamon :)

Exercise is key!!! Like it or not,..you have to move that body each day!!

KarbieGrl 11-16-2006 09:39 AM

Eat 3 meals a day.
Skipping meals may make you overeat later in the evening.
If I eat past 6pm, well, I may as well just go ahead and smear on the outside of my tummy cuz that's where it will stay anyway.

ntt2 11-22-2006 04:46 PM

? - what do you have as your "crunchy snacks" - that's what causes me the greatest problems? thanks. nt

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyJen (Post 7745129)
Celebrate all the great things you CAN eat instead of worrying about what you cannot

Find recipes to substitute those foods you miss ... today I went out for Italian with co-workers. I ate a salad. They gobbled up pasta. Tonight I made eggplant parmagiana with that restaurant's pasta sauce ... and I made garlic cheese crackers to dip in the sauce instead of garlic bread. Hmmmmm...I am so spoiled!

Surround yourself in legal snacks! There a million of them ... and if they are on hand (I keep salty snacks, sweet snacks, crunchy snacks, drinkable snacks) ... you will not feel deprived.

I have yet to find a restaurant in which I could not eat ... except maybe my favorite Chinese joint ... but I haven't gone in there lately. You don't need a Low Carb menu ... think it through and ask them to cater their recipes for you.

You stumble, you get up, that is called life. It is not over until you decide to throw in the towel, so the power is always within you to get up again.

LovesDivine 11-22-2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Sage (Post 7746953)
Don't cheat during the wt loss stage.

Be patient

Don't cheat, it is only cheating yourself, only hurting you.

Plan ahead

Oh, and in case I didn't say this enough....DON'T CHEAT!!!!!!!

What she said!!!!:up:

BuckeyeLori 11-23-2006 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntt2 (Post 7782476)
? - what do you have as your "crunchy snacks" - that's what causes me the greatest problems? thanks. nt

Missing crunchy snacks was an issue for me til I started making pepperoni chips and cheese crisps. There isn't anything better than those two things when I get the munchies. Only problem is my kids want to eat them too!!!!

LibertyJen 11-23-2006 03:44 PM

Crunchy Snacks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntt2 (Post 7782476)

I am now addicted to ALMONDS ... they are incredibly healthy and I carry them with me (or stop by the store to grab more if I am out). There are many different "flavored" varieties, but watch the INGREDIENTS as they like to sneak in CORN SYRUP or SUGAR in there. You can get a huge container of roasted, salted almonds at Sam's Club ... I usually have one with me for a salty snack.

My neighbor is a Gourmet ... he nukes his almonds with fresh parm cheese and sea salt. Wow ... it is incredible ... especially with a glass of red wine! :clap:

I also eat / carry with me Low Carb tortilla chips (which I make from Low Carb tortillas: cut into triangles, spritz with olive oil, sprinkle chili powder and sea salt and bake at 350 for five minutes; turn and spritz the other side and bake another four to five minutes ...watch 'em cause they like to burn). I usually have a baggie of these with me too.

I also love pepperoni chips ... nuke pepperoni slices for about 10 to 15 seconds ... I carry these around with me too.

I travel a few times a year with my job, and I work long days ... so I carry these snacks with me all the time.

nbaycaligirl 11-24-2006 11:15 AM

New to LC and to the site

Hi everyone, I came across this site about 2 weeks ago and have been trying this low carb way of eating and found it really works for me. I lost 3 lbs the very first week! My only pitfall was yesterday at thanksgiving. I ended up eating way too much of the regular TG food which is in no way LC (except for maybe the turkey) and I was wondering about those carb inhibitor pills they sell. I think they are made of white kidney bean extract and are supposed to block the carbs you eat from getting ingested. Do these pills actually work?
I wonder if they would help in situations like Thanksgiving, where once in awhile, I am bound to eat carbs in my meal if taking the pills on these rare occasions actually keep the diet on track?
I apologize if this same question has been brought up a million times, but I havent had a chance to read up on all the postings yet.
Anyways, good to meet everybody and look forward to sharing this LC journey with you! ----Andrea

Purple Sage 11-24-2006 11:24 AM

You are welcome to try those pills, don't know if they work or not, I tried them and they blew me up like a hot air balloon, very uncomfortable. It is really better to just stay low carb. It is not inevatible that you will eat off plan, it is a choice.

sbarr 11-24-2006 11:26 AM

Hi Andrea - welcome to the site. There's debate about whether they work. Some say yes, some say no. I would not COUNT on them - ultimately what you're tryiong to do is modify your behavior and those can be a bit of a "cheat" enabler. Not to say I don't use them occasionally just in case, but I wouldn't count on them.

I overindulged yesterday (I won't say cheating because I didn't make a rule against it, but it wasn't a wise choice for regular eating), but the most important thing - I'm back on clean eating again today and will continue.

So, regardless of what you did yesterday, be good today and tomorrow and the next day and you will succeed!

LibertyJen 11-24-2006 01:08 PM

Hi! And welcome ... I wouldn't waste your money on the pills. Just keep learning how to eat low carb and you will find you do not need 'em! I hosted Thanksgiving yesterday and EVERYTHING was low carbs ... all the way to the stuffing, gravy and pumpkin pie. And no one noticed a difference ... except they were not sleepy and uncomfortable the rest of the day! It really is the best way of eating ... Lots of love, support and knowledge here, so welcome!

JuliaL 11-25-2006 06:01 AM

Here are my favorite tips:

1) Use ****** or some other food journal to keep track of everything you eat. It's a lot easier to understand why you're losing, not losing, or even gaining if you know exactly what you're eating. Trying to lose weight without an accurate food journal is like trying to find your way around a strange city without a map. You might get there eventually but it will take you a LOT longer

2) Plan and prepare meals ahead of time. Take a day out of your weekend to shop and cook. If you always have good food choices around you, you will be much less likely to go to the drive-through or the vending machine.

3) Create a no-fail environment. Get all of the carby, crappy food out of your house. When you get a craving you probably won't actually get in your car and go to the store to buy food you shouldn't eat. If it's sitting there in your fridge or pantry it will call to you and make it harder to resist.

4) Start an exercise program. 90% of losing weight is about what you eat, but 90% of people who are able to maintain their weight loss for a year or more are regular exercisers. Exercise has many benefits besides burning calories. It helps you sleep better, elevates your mood, and makes you look good nekkid :D

5) Think positive. What you tell yourself about yourself is very, very important. If you tell yourself that you're missing all the good food that other people can eat you'll feel deprived and resentful. If you tell yourself that the single most controllable factor in good health and weight loss is what you eat, and that pizza, chips, or whatever it is you are craving at the moment is not good enough for your hot body, then you will feel like you're giving yourself a gift instead of punishing yourself. Mindset is everything. You can control it. :up: