Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shellyshebby
Stats: 260/202/180 5'9"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 10/18/13
This is a great thread, loads of information here!
shellyshebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarber73
Stats: 300/227/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler43836 View Post
Don't let yourself fall into a rut-eating the same things day after day. Experiment. Try new recipes. I try at least one new one per week.
This is such a great idea! I love to cook and my husband and I have been trying lots of new recipes. I have also found that in many cases recipes can be altered to fit our low carb requirements such as substituting a different veggie or using low carb pasta instead of regular or using a non-carb thickener to thicken soups or gravies. I find a recipe that looks good, get out my carb counter and see what I can do to make it more acceptable. We've had a blast and what a variety. We have been trying to use new foods we've never eaten before or foods from different cultures.
lowcarber73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
Amazing thread! Another one that I will bookmark.

One really simple thing I learned that works: learn to say no - and say it fast. Dont even give yourself a second to think about it. When someone offers you sth full of carbs, IMMeDIATELY say "no". If they ask again (and again), tell them to stop asking, even though that may seem harsh, you has to find a way to stop people to shove bad calories down your throat. At diner, my BF used to always share his food with me, give me bites if I was already done eating. I told him not to do this anymore, because I would feel guilty saying no. When I'm done, I'm done. I will gulp some water and be full

Also, saying "no" to myself (out loud) helps. When standing in front of the pantry, staring at the chocolate-y goodness, I say "no!" and shut the door and grab something LC. Really helps.
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinkswan
These tips are all great. I love this thread.
pinkswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
NoelleSilvia - thank you. Your post really hit home with me. For some reason, "don't hesitate, just say no" might be just what I need to get through the holidays. I know I often over-analyze, so maybe that's the ticket - hit the red button and just say no. Maybe it's when stopping to rationalize, think about how good it might taste, just one bite, you name it might be that "chink in the armor"... now if my 3 year old were running for the street, would I hesitate or rationalize - OK, not an apples to apples comparison, physical safety vs. carbs, but maybe I would benefit from a bit of conditioning.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia View Post
Amazing thread! Another one that I will bookmark.

One really simple thing I learned that works: learn to say no - and say it fast. Dont even give yourself a second to think about it. When someone offers you sth full of carbs, IMMeDIATELY say "no". If they ask again (and again), tell them to stop asking, even though that may seem harsh, you has to find a way to stop people to shove bad calories down your throat. At diner, my BF used to always share his food with me, give me bites if I was already done eating. I told him not to do this anymore, because I would feel guilty saying no. When I'm done, I'm done. I will gulp some water and be full

Also, saying "no" to myself (out loud) helps. When standing in front of the pantry, staring at the chocolate-y goodness, I say "no!" and shut the door and grab something LC. Really helps.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charcutier
Stats: 325/264.75/165
WOE: Atkins '72 Induction
Start Date: 1/1/11, Restart 8/27/12
  1. Weight loss is not a nice, neat, straight line. It’s not even a curve. It’s up - down - up - down - WAY up - down a little - up - WHOOSH - even - up - down - up - down - down… Take a 3-day average for your weight, and pay more attention to the general trend. Charts help.
  2. When it comes down to it, some effort – even a tiny amount – is better than no effort at all. Pennies make dollars, my dears. Even if you’re feeling lazy and don’t do much, doing anything is better than doing nothing. It makes a dent. It conditions you to get used to it. So, never think that it’s no use doing what little you can. It is useful.
  3. SMILE! Concentrate on the goodness of this life. When I was dieting via calorie restriction, I'd have slapped my own Momma for a Chee-to. Now, I get to eat STEAK! Every day! And butter! And cream! I never feel deprived for more than a few seconds - and then I think about the 20 pounds of fat I've lost and the deprivation vanishes.
  4. Fat is good. Fat is your friend. Fat works. The higher fat a food is, the better I like it, the better it satisfies, and the faster my losses. Especially beef fat and 40% cream.
  5. Take your vitamins.
  6. Familiarity breeds contentment, for me anyway. Variety may be the spice of life, but ribeye steaks every day have yet to lose their appeal.
  7. Buy your tuna in oil. Just trust me.
  8. Buy in bulk. Invest in a vacuum sealing machine and a freezer. Stock up on sales. If you can, find a farm and order enough cow to last you a while. There’s no feeling of deprivation if you have a freezer full of food you like just waiting for you.
  9. And thaw ahead - several things, enough for a few days - and know how to cook them quickly. If you have beef, chicken and fish ready to cook at a moment's notice, you'll never have an excuse to order pizza. Abundance is nice, but instant gratification is even better.
  10. There is no meal more wonderful than shrimp dunked in coconut oil, a prime ribeye medium rare with kosher salt and a big dollop of butter on top, and mushrooms poached in rendered beef fat.
  11. Pay attention to your own body. In the long run, it doesn’t matter a fig what the books say or what others’ experience is. This WOE is different for everyone. Find what works for you and do it, even if (especially if) it's different from what works for others.
Charcutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
NoelleSilvia - thank you. Your post really hit home with me. For some reason, "don't hesitate, just say no" might be just what I need to get through the holidays. I know I often over-analyze, so maybe that's the ticket - hit the red button and just say no. Maybe it's when stopping to rationalize, think about how good it might taste, just one bite, you name it might be that "chink in the armor"... now if my 3 year old were running for the street, would I hesitate or rationalize - OK, not an apples to apples comparison, physical safety vs. carbs, but maybe I would benefit from a bit of conditioning.

Thank you!
Your post touched me! As human beings we have no problems making split decisions about things we believe in. And you have a good example - you won't stand there and think about the dangers and risks, you just won't take that risk because your 3 yr old is way too important. How about your body? You know what is and what isn't good for you, so operant conditioning needs to be done here. It is hard to say no, but as soon as we KNOW, cake is bad for us, why would we want to contemplate whether or not we should have it? Saying no fast is good, only after that you can allow yourself all the time to pat yourself on the back for rejecting something that would make you feel guilty and bad about yourself.

It will become much easier with time to say no. Just do it the first few times and you'll notice how great it feels when you think of all the junk that could have been in your system!
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcutier View Post
  1. Weight loss is not a nice, neat, straight line. It’s not even a curve. It’s up - down - up - down - WAY up - down a little - up - WHOOSH - even - up - down - up - down - down… Take a 3-day average for your weight, and pay more attention to the general trend. Charts help.
  2. When it comes down to it, some effort – even a tiny amount – is better than no effort at all. Pennies make dollars, my dears. Even if you’re feeling lazy and don’t do much, doing anything is better than doing nothing. It makes a dent. It conditions you to get used to it. So, never think that it’s no use doing what little you can. It is useful.
  3. SMILE! Concentrate on the goodness of this life. When I was dieting via calorie restriction, I'd have slapped my own Momma for a Chee-to. Now, I get to eat STEAK! Every day! And butter! And cream! I never feel deprived for more than a few seconds - and then I think about the 20 pounds of fat I've lost and the deprivation vanishes.
  4. Fat is good. Fat is your friend. Fat works. The higher fat a food is, the better I like it, the better it satisfies, and the faster my losses. Especially beef fat and 40% cream.
  5. Take your vitamins.
  6. Familiarity breeds contentment, for me anyway. Variety may be the spice of life, but ribeye steaks every day have yet to lose their appeal.
  7. Buy your tuna in oil. Just trust me.
  8. Buy in bulk. Invest in a vacuum sealing machine and a freezer. Stock up on sales. If you can, find a farm and order enough cow to last you a while. There’s no feeling of deprivation if you have a freezer full of food you like just waiting for you.
  9. And thaw ahead - several things, enough for a few days - and know how to cook them quickly. If you have beef, chicken and fish ready to cook at a moment's notice, you'll never have an excuse to order pizza. Abundance is nice, but instant gratification is even better.
  10. There is no meal more wonderful than shrimp dunked in coconut oil, a prime ribeye medium rare with kosher salt and a big dollop of butter on top, and mushrooms poached in rendered beef fat.
  11. Pay attention to your own body. In the long run, it doesn’t matter a fig what the books say or what others’ experience is. This WOE is different for everyone. Find what works for you and do it, even if (especially if) it's different from what works for others.
Thanks, Charcutier! LOVE THIS - All of it. But now I'm hungry. Gotta go fix some meat!
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grandma Jo
Stats: 258.5/188/150
Start Date: 29 Aug 2011
Lots of great advice in here

Lots of great advice but Charcutier's #1 was just what I needed to hear today. Weight day and only lost .4lb this week but in the last 10 weeks lost 30.5. It's the big picture not just one weigh in that I need to look at! Thanks
Grandma Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Make small changes permanent, especially in the kitchen. We almost never eat out, but love cooking. There is no cornstarch in my pantry, I use glucomannan powder to thicken things. Never buying cornstarch again in my life. It is just one little example, but every little step adds up to real lifestyle change. I bread eggplant or chicken with shredded parm and almond flour. A section of my fridge is quart mason jars with almond meal, coconut flour, flax meal etc. My counter jars contain erythritol (powdered and granulated) and organic powdered stevia. I buy the highest quality unsweetened cocoa powder and make fabulous cocoa with almond or coconut milk, molten chocolate cakes.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lanie63
Stats: Current 230/230/175
Start Date: Restarting 1/22/13 @230, Original Start 2004 @ 253
Amazing that this thread was started back in 2006, and by chance it showed up today with lots of great tips for staying on track....just what I needed.
Lanie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Michalea
I say this way of eating is a mind game, you gotta picture in your head your goal and you gotta feel good, find any excuse to feel good and MILK IT (well heavy cream it) and doesn't have to be about food, when you feel good you will attract more and more good and you'll feel fantastic. act as if you are already where you want to be! visual, fantasy, fake it till you make it, it's in your head and about how you think about things. If it doesn't feel good, don't do it, you will not thank yourself if you do.
Michalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
Start Date: August (this time around)
My tip is to have some yummy "fat bombs" in th fridge when you need it. My fave is "fudge" made with baking chocolate, cream cheese, splenda and a little sugar free peanut butter. works great on hunger and if you need something sweet (even though its really not sweet at all.)
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toofatfornow
Stats: 256/117/117
WOE: low carb, count everything that goes in my mouth
Start Date: too many times this time 01/18/11
tymom ur fudge recipe please and howis it without pb thanks
toofatfornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Faith-n-Christ!
Stats: 196/190/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1-16-2013--Again, but hopefully-forever!
My secret is telling myself something negtive about the food I am desiring. For example when I want chocolate, I make myself think of nasty cocoa powder and how it tastes! Yuck! Or when I am making cookies for my boys, I tell myself they are treats for the dog. May sound a little strange, but I swear it works! And it takes away my desire for that moment until I can regain my self control.
Faith-n-Christ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cookie57
Stats: 212.2/202/190
WOE: WW
Start Date: 6-12-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofatfornow View Post
tymom ur fudge recipe please and howis it without pb thanks
I would like that too. Sounds devine
cookie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #108
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Over time I learned that straying from our eating plan may and most likely will happen. Don't hate yourself if that happens and don't call yourself bad names. Don't give up because you haven't been perfect. Correct course and move on.

Another thing that has really helped is recording everything I eat in an online food journal that gives me total and net carbs. It has been a very successful tool against carb creep.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: julielynn75
Stats: 198.2/147/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: april2004/1-1-06/8-9-06sticking w/ it now!!
subscribing
julielynn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
subbing !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-Mac
Stats: 210.5/194/140
WOE: Atkins, LCHF switched to HCG
Start Date: September 21, 2014
"I do what fit, healthy people do. I eat how fit, healthy eat. I AM a fit, healthy person.

My body just needs to catch up with me. I'll wait"

Lol I love this!! This really resonates!!
Lori-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #112
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flinderella
Stats: <private>
Start Date: Jan 2014
Stay busy and active!

Also my friend started low carb waaaay before me and I always noticed he would say 'I don't eat cake' or 'I don't eat pasta' rather than 'I can't have this or that' and I think copying this helped me make the psychological switch. I don't go down 'those aisles' in the supermarket now, I plan my meals and buy what I need. I write a list and stick to it!

There are so many great tips here and I love how supportive this site is!!
flinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
This is a great thread, and all the wisdom is as true today as when it was started. There are some great ideas here. I had a bad cookie / chocolate fix yesterday, but today I have a big piece of belly pork to roast, Brie cheese and organic tomatoes, so it will be a better day. I am determined!

I also do much better when I write everything down, with carb count, before I eat it. I have no idea how many calories I eat, I haven't tracked calories since I discovered low carb.

Last edited by makrida; 10-19-2014 at 09:14 AM..
makrida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
LEARN TO MAKE OOPSIE ROLLS. You will never need to eat bread again unless by choice.

Eat complete meals. That may be 2 or 3 or 4 depending on the person.

Remember, it's ok to be hungry. You have a body and it needs fuel. Doesn't mean you are doing something wrong. Eat when you are hungry--- don't eat if you aren't unless you have to for health reasons.

Always have something on hand that is a better choice even if it isn't the perfect choice. A piece of low carb junk bar is a better choice than a box of Oreos. You'll probably eat less...don't choose the really delicious ones.

******Keep an emergency lc bug out bag in your car. Pork rinds , nuts, jerky , low carb bar, etc... Good for when you end up at a party or restaurant with tempting things ******

If you eat off plan ...get over it . Just start your next meal clean. Don't try to overcompensate. This is a WOE. Just because you ate something carby doesn't make you a non low carber.

Forget what makes someone else's WOE a "twue" lc diet. Yours may include higher carb foods yours may never.

Eat enough protein regularly so you don't eat too much! I find I eat too much of everything when I don't remember this basic. When I try to skimp on protein I will eventually eat too much of it.

LEARN HOW TO MAKE OOPSIE ROLLS. You will never need to eat bread or cake again unless by choice.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
Make small changes permanent, especially in the kitchen. We almost never eat out, but love cooking. There is no cornstarch in my pantry, I use glucomannan powder to thicken things. Never buying cornstarch again in my life. It is just one little example, but every little step adds up to real lifestyle change. I bread eggplant or chicken with shredded parm and almond flour. A section of my fridge is quart mason jars with almond meal, coconut flour, flax meal etc. My counter jars contain erythritol (powdered and granulated) and organic powdered stevia. I buy the highest quality unsweetened cocoa powder and make fabulous cocoa with almond or coconut milk, molten chocolate cakes.
This is a really good idea. I made the mistake in the beginning by changing everything in the kitchen and ended up nit liking any of it. Over time I started cooking with smaller changes and hardly noticed the difference.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I just read this recently and love the visual - it has helped me.

Don't get discouraged when you occasionally overindulge. See each meal as a balloon and prick them with a pin as you complete them and then move on.

Also when you overindulge, try loving yourself more - much much more - not less.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #117
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
bumping ! Love this thread
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maripose
WOE: moderate carb
I have 2 things I suggest, sorry if they are repeats.

For me a big challenge was finding meat I like and is easy to prepare. I have no ethical problem with meat eating, I just don't like it much taste-wise. After some trial and error I discovered lamb, turkey bacon, and better ways to make chicken soup (which I love) plus I put a lot of thought into veggie low carb dishes (mostly low carb veggies cooked in olive oil) that feel like a treat.

Second thing, and this may seem weird to some people, but because it takes the brain 20 minutes to register food consumption I will divide a normal sized meal into at least 4 portions and eat only one portion every 20 minutes. For warm foods I use a slow cooker on "keep warm" (you can "keep warm" safely for 2 hours as long as the food was hot to begin with) to maintain temp. So a bowl of chicken soup, for example, will take at least an hour to eat in very small portions. I feel much fuller this way and cravings go way down.

Obviously that won't work for eating out, but if you're home alone it works well. And for diabetics-- this is a good way to eat to keep blood sugar down if you are eating anything with carbs.
maripose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 204/171/140
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
I have very rarely craved sweets in the past, but after almost 6 months on low carb, lately I have craved sweets like crazy, especially when I'm driving to work and stop for my one "treat" cup of coffee that I don't make at home. I know it's better to eat whole, real, foods with no fake things, but lately the Atkins bars have been a lifesaver to me. They are SO sweet that one of them keeps my cravings at bay for at least a whole day. I like the paenut caramel nougat ones with the chocolate coating. They are very satisfying and take a long time to eat because of chewing all the peanuts.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
I have a narrow full-length mirror against the wall next to the fridge door. I get to look at myself every time I go to the fridge. I LOOK GOOD! Clothed or nekkid, I LOOK GOOD!
There's still excess weight, fat, tissue, and mass, more than what I need or want now, but I look so much better than I did even a few months ago, certainly better than Dec 4, 2013.
I'm lucky, too, that I have a large mirror in my bedroom, and can check out the newly shaped body and enjoy it, daily.
I have two signs on the edge of the door, at eye level, and get to read them as I open the fridge: carbage inside, and, too much protein turns to glucose.
I keep the fats high, the carbs low, and work on portion control.

Ella5
I AM joyously releasing excess fat, tissue, weight and mass to the universe every day.
I AM healthier and stronger everyday.
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote