Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: littleT
sweet taste in mouth?

I've read how people get a metal taste in their mouth when they are in ketosis, but does anyone ever get a sweet taste? I've had kind of a sweet taste and have been sooo thirsty. I've been drinking so much water; I can't get enough. But, I haven't got to the point where I'm not hungry. Could it be ketosis?
littleT is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyLowCarbs
Stats: 180/174/140
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: May 22, 2006
i always got a sweet taste in ketosis. but not a real sweet, and artificial sweet taste! i thought it was an artificial sweetener aftertaste until my mom told me it's the ketones. i bought some ketostix and she was right!
congrats, little T! drink water.
AmyLowCarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: IdreamofLean
Stats: 26/20 / 12
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/31/03
YOu can have sweet breath in ketosis.

Thirst is also an indication that your body is burning fat. It needs water to flush it all out!! Also, as you burn stored body fat your cells may store water in the space formerly occupied by fat. this will whoosh off when the whoosh fairy comes your way!

Last edited by IdreamofLean; 05-26-2006 at 07:42 PM..
IdreamofLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinnyme
Stats: 225/213/140
Start Date: On and off since 2003; most recent 9/21/09
not to put a fright into you, but you may want to consult a doc. about the increase in thirst...this can be symptomatic of diabetes. not sure about the sweet taste, though.
skinnyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: aussiesarah
Stats: Back from my 2nd baby! 114/107/75kg
WOE: Healthy
Start Date: May 11, 2006
I just took a class on diabetes the other day. You only need to worry about the risk if you are BOTH extremely thirsty AND going to the bathroom too frequently. Elevated thirst isn't always a signal that you are diabetic, neither is going to the bathroom frequently. It's the combination together. It is the body's way of trying to flush out the extra insulin in your body. At least that's what they said. If you are concerned, it's always wise to consult a doctor.
aussiesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: mrsislandqt
Stats: 220/131/carvin' it out...
WOE: Atkins/ckd
Start Date: March 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleT
I've read how people get a metal taste in their mouth when they are in ketosis, but does anyone ever get a sweet taste? I've had kind of a sweet taste and have been sooo thirsty. I've been drinking so much water; I can't get enough. But, I haven't got to the point where I'm not hungry. Could it be ketosis?
I experienced extreme thirst whilst in ketosis. my taste buds were 'off' which could explain your sweet taste.
mrsislandqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:06 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scmadm
Fellow Low Carbers

I am a RN with 19 years experience in med/surg and critical care. The ketone breath that many low carbers experience when in ketosis is a fruity smell, so it may be described as "sweet". My patients who are in diabetic ketoacidosis have this symptom.

The thirst is normal with LC as you drop water weight early in the diet. You will even pee more. If you weren't low carbing and had these symptoms I'd say go to your doctor as you may have diabetes. As it is, with you limiting your carbs, your blood sugar after a few days will stabilize and be normal, even after eating a big low carb meal.
If you still are scared about diabetes, test your urine with the ketone/glucose sticks. The ketone test will turn dark maroon and the glucose test will also change color if it's due to diabetes. If it just turns the ketone test maroon and the glucose test doesn't change then it's the diet working and you are offically in ketosis and well on your way to losing weight.
scmadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mutantmomof4
Stats: 286/241.3/165
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: March 6, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyme
not to put a fright into you, but you may want to consult a doc. about the increase in thirst...this can be symptomatic of diabetes. not sure about the sweet taste, though.

Don't panic...though this is true...you are in ketosis which will make you thirsty...it is a good way to know you are in ketosis...and yes, I am one of those that do not experience the bad breath but I have the sweet taste...you are right on tract...drink plenty of water and congrats...welcome to ketosis.

G
mutantmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:35 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LuckyKitty
Stats: >215 (~sz 24)/<150 (~sz 4) Healthy Mind and Body!
WOE: Maintenance/Working on my relationship w/ food
Start Date: 9/1/02 (Atkins)
I'm another one that gets a "sweet" taste on the back of my tongue when in deep ketosis. Sometimes it's even enough to put off my sweet tooth Congrats and KUTGW!
LuckyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:08 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: littleT
well, I did lose 4lbs over the weekend so maybe I am in ketosis!
littleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LuckyKitty
Stats: >215 (~sz 24)/<150 (~sz 4) Healthy Mind and Body!
WOE: Maintenance/Working on my relationship w/ food
Start Date: 9/1/02 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleT
well, I did lose 4lbs over the weekend so maybe I am in ketosis!

Fantastic!!!!

Keep it up n you'll hit goal before you know it
LuckyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: roamer723
Stats: 6' 6" 354.4/292.4/250(or until "Scoop" is gone)
WOE: low carb'ish
Start Date: March 18 2008
:bump:

I've been getting a sweet taste in my mouth for a couple weeks now, instead of the usual metallic taste. I've also had a head cold for a few weeks, and it seems like they have coincided with each other.

was wondering if anyone had any input. I have been cheating a lot lately eating more carbs than normal. the entire time I've done LC I've tried to stay under 40g carbs per day, and that has been blown out of the water lately.

thanks
roamer723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tommyswife
Stats: 222.5/209.5/180 R1000 P2
WOE: Homeopathic HCG
Yep, I have the sweet taste all the time, but if I happen to eat over my carb allotment, it leaves, so I think it's definitely related to ketosis.
Tommyswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: roamer723
Stats: 6' 6" 354.4/292.4/250(or until "Scoop" is gone)
WOE: low carb'ish
Start Date: March 18 2008
just weird for me that this whole time it's been a metallic taste (11 months), now all of a sudden it's sweet.
roamer723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: grenonk
I thought I was going crazy. I was like hmmm this is refreshing! Good to know now!!! How strange. It was delightful lol
grenonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zlettuce
I am glad I found this post. I have been low carbing for 7 weeks now. Not hard core like induction. But I just eat veggies and protein and now I have this sweet taste in my mouth. I was wondering about it but never thought about ketosis. I hope that means I will lose with a whooooooosh fairy. I have been losing slowly so I am excited about it. Thanks again for this post!!!
zlettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TrueYou
Stats: 317/305/190 (5'10")
WOE: low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 17, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmadm View Post
Fellow Low Carbers

I am a RN with 19 years experience in med/surg and critical care. The ketone breath that many low carbers experience when in ketosis is a fruity smell, so it may be described as "sweet". My patients who are in diabetic ketoacidosis have this symptom.

The thirst is normal with LC as you drop water weight early in the diet. You will even pee more. If you weren't low carbing and had these symptoms I'd say go to your doctor as you may have diabetes. As it is, with you limiting your carbs, your blood sugar after a few days will stabilize and be normal, even after eating a big low carb meal.
If you still are scared about diabetes, test your urine with the ketone/glucose sticks. The ketone test will turn dark maroon and the glucose test will also change color if it's due to diabetes. If it just turns the ketone test maroon and the glucose test doesn't change then it's the diet working and you are offically in ketosis and well on your way to losing weight.
Since youre a nurse...how do you feel about low-carb eating...which usually means a lot of fat in the diet. Is this fat harmful to us?
TrueYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stacy O
Stats: 212/206/175
Start Date: Dec 30 2013
LittleT,
Since restarting Atkins last month, I've noticed the same thing on and off (sweet/tangy taste in mouth). I too, am keeping myself very hydrated this time around as well.

Last edited by Stacy O; 07-05-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Stacy O is offline   Reply With Quote