Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #31

Gallery: wannabeslim4life
Stats: 177/163/120
while I can have a cheat day and still lose I noticed I get depressed after those days it mentally effects me more so than physically but I do feel tired and bloated and irritable from the sugar high/crash so its all up to what you can tolerate
wannabeslim4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peskie
That will ONLY work, if you're combining it with low calorie the rest of the week, quite honestly. (with the cheat being very healthy low fat items instead of low carb possibly)

well....let me rephrase....for MOST people, that's the only way it'd work.

Think about it. You cheat, you get carbs in your body, you have a temporary gain. It takes you 3 more days to lose what you gained. You just do start losing again just in time to cheat again. I can't see much progress being made that way, just maintaining overall, as far as I can see.

JMHO.
I do agree with this, however, not everyone is induction level carbs. I personally eat over 100g a day, so a cheat day/meal would do this to me
DisneyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: beckyltaylor
Stats: restart 138/138/117 (or size 4)
WOE: atkins & M/E fast
Start Date: May 7, 2007
I used this "one day cheat" method when I did Body For Life a few years ago. I was maniacal about my clean days...but I let all hell break loose on my Sundays. Simply put, I was a garbage disposal! I ate donuts, fried mexican food, burgers and fries, etc.

I did lose a ton of weight on this plan so maybe there's something to it! However, your definitely eating higher carbs on BFL and maybe the cheat day doesn't affect you like it would on the atkins diet. It's a slippery slope. The one thing to make sure of is that you don't let that "cheat day" spill over into your clean eating days....PERIOD!
beckyltaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:26 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: epix
Stats: 426/205/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2004
I don't ever cheat for a whole day, but I will have a cheat meal once in a while. Mostly when I am feeling frustrated.
epix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori in Indiana
Stats: weight 204/174/140 size 18/12-14/8
WOE: Atkins Induction and loving it!
Start Date: July 25, 2005
I want to share my husband's experience with this. The first time he did the woe was about 6 years ago and it was our family doctor who put him on this after being successful on it himself. My husband followed the induction phase through and continued that way until he had lost about 45 pounds - he still had another 35-40 pounds to goal and he was experiencing a significant stall. Our family doctor advised him to cheat for a couple to three days - no really bad stuff, just some things like a potato, maybe some ww bread, just increase the carbs significantly, but smart. He did this and went right back on track - however, not only did he eat the things advised, he went WAY overboard, eating all the old foods that made him overweight to begin with. Anyhow, he went back on track and was losing again in no time. He would do this probably once every month or two to hock his body again and get the metabolism pumped. THAT worked for him, but I can't see once a week - every week!!!
[COLOR=Magenta]Third goal - lose a total of 64 pounds by early Spring 2006[/COLOR]

ULTIMATE GOAL - To keep all the weight off, live long and HEALTHY, and for me to be in control of the food I eat - not the other way around!
Lori in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #36

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
bumping this up for LaurenL since the thread was buried
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
you can do your own form of carb cycling to keep your body guessing rather than shock it. i like the three day cycle but you can use it anyway you like...maybe a 4-5 day staying in each category longer. day 1 is really low carb or m/e whatever i feel is best. sometimes it is just throwing in a green salad with an olive oil base dressing. day 2 i'll add in more vegies and yogurt (can't go for too long without that). day 3 i'll continue and add in a serving of fruit, some nuts, cheese. there is no cheating involved. you stay within your own food choices and don't go to areas that will sabotage you. i agree with most everyone else regarding real hard core cheating. i would not be able to stop and not willing to feel like crap the day after.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:47 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurenL
Cheat days-update

Thanks for all the great info!! I just got back from the gym and lost 5# in 6 days sooo not too sure if I want to really "cheat" for a day, especially since I finally got into the dark purple area on the ketostix! I have a family clambake to go to on Saturday and clams and chicken are w/in the plan...may try adding a 1/2 sweet potato and the ear of corn...Maybe I'll try it(cheat days) if the weight loss slows down, but for now I'm quite happy where I am! Thanks to all of you for your help! Keep you posted!! And HANG TOUGH!!!
LaurenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: StephanieAnn
yip-peee

It's absolutely true as long as you have the will power and decipline to resume the low carb the following day. Carbing-up one day a week jump starts your matabolism.
StephanieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SashimiMark
Stats: in love with myself
WOE: organic whole foods with lots of fat
Start Date: January 2008
I went to a job interview yesterday. We ended up going out for lunch at a sandwich shop. And yes, I ordered a sandwich. They call it a Slawter: smoked turkey with cole slaw and roasted red peppers on a french roll. But it was just a sandwich, not forbidden fruit. I didn't treat it like a derailment or a cheat. And I definitely did not use it as an excuse to continue eating higher carb foods the rest of the day. And I was still down this morning when I weighed. We all have to make choices about what foods we eat. For me, the key is to not obsess about it.

Just say NOW.
SashimiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
I have done this before in the past. It wasn't a planned cheat day but kind of what happened with SashimiMark. If there is a special party I will eat what they offer. However, it still wasn't crap. It could be bread on sandwich or some other carbs with a meal. No junk like Dorritos or cake like that. I think you can sensibly up your carbs with good carbs and it will be fine. Some fruits and more veggies are great!
toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #42

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I think you can keep your body "guessing" without doing an all out cheat day. You can carb cycle (3 or 4 days very low carb, a couple higher but good carb, then low carb again). Or you can do the same with calories. One day eat low calories, the next high calories.
Quote:
I dont do a cheat day, but I do do a day once a week where I increase carbs and calories for the same reason your trainer stated.

I do think there is probably some validity to doing a form of cycling. Even on Atkins OWL or pre-Maintenance, you might eat 20 grams of carbs one day and 40 the next.

I eat fewer calories and carbs four to five days a week, and more of both two to three days a week. If I'm going to have something from a higher carb rung, I do that on the weekends. If I'm going to have a bigger portion of steak than my normal 4 ounces, I do that on the weekends. If I'm going to have wine, I do it only on the weekends.

I didn't set out to deliberately try to do it this way. It's just evolved naturally and it sure seems to be working just fine. I don't pig out or eat unusually large portions of anything on my higher days, but I have more leeway.

Scheduled "cheat days", though? Total BS, in my opinion. If you want to have your "cheat days", fine, then just make it a choice and accept the consequences, but don't hide it behind some mumbo jumbo about how it's going to make you lose weight faster and better. To me, that's like saying "I smoke because it helps me stay thin." Yeah, one might be able to argue a correlation there, but there are many better things one could do to stay thin than to smoke.

Last edited by peanutte; 09-22-2009 at 11:02 AM..
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BIG PHELLA
Stats: 340/324/250
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 9/17/10 2:00pm
after dropping over 100 pounds, I used to allow a cheat day once a week, worked good for awhile, then one day turned to 2, then 3, and eventually to 40 pounds packed back on. No cheat days for me this time around.
BIG PHELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nominefili
Stats: 318/318/220
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBean View Post
The first three days are the hardest part! Why do them every week?

No Way!
THIS!

Why set yourself up for the induction flu every week? Yuck!
Nominefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #46
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I don't like the word cheat. I'm allowed to eat anything I want at any time I just choose not to. For me one day would expand to two then three and so on.

Sis
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dystany1
Stats: 151(7/13/09)*130(9/20/09)
WOE: Low GI carbs only/Clean Eating & P90X
Start Date: 07/13/09
I usually have a cheat day on Saturday. I used to let myself eat whatever I want but now it's more like a one bad meal that day.
Dystany1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bucknuts
I have a cheat day every 2 weeks it is a low fat, very high carb day with protein staying the same. I think this approach works really well for the purposes of replenishing muscle glycogen those of us who lift weights but everyone else should stay away from it imo.
Bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenL View Post
...Anyone heard of this? ( 6 days clean 1 day cheat every week after the initial 2wks induction.)
Hi folks…

This is another of those threads that just keeps on giving (years old and still relevant).

I have heard of this, and don't know if it would be successful for everyone or not. I suppose if a person's limit to eat carbs and lose weight is 30 net carbs a day (let's pretend) and they only eat 10 net a day, in a week's time they have 70 net carbs of slack and could go that far with a day and still lose.

I don't call it a cheat, because I'm a 30 net carb a day for life person, and once every 6 weeks or so my wife and I go out for a normal meal at a restaurant, any meal off the menu, no restrictions, including dessert if we choose.

And it has to be eaten in the restaurant, no take home. I count it as zero carbs and the minute we leave the restaurant I'm back to my 30 net per day (including that day).

Been doing this for 3 yrs without ill effect, and in fact it is nice to be able to go out with my wife for Valentine's Day or her Birthday, or mine. I never feel bloated, sick or guilty afterwards. Like I said, no ill effects…and it's not cheating because it's been part of my plan from the beginning.

As with all things low carb, you need to find out what your plan and body can tolerate.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…

Last edited by ljguitar; 07-16-2011 at 03:29 PM..
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Not a Cheat Day but a Choose Day

My husband and I choose one meal either in restaurant or
at home for our birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year.
It's not for an entire day just one meal. Then right back on.
This has never hurt us in any way. I would not choose one day
per week or per month, or even for one entire day. I believe this would
lead us back to a place that we don't want to go.
Since I am diabetic, this does not lead me to experiment with sugary
items.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: squeakie
Stats: 126/112/110 (5'1")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: on and off since 2000. latest restart june 19 2011
I'm going to try this, but with a healthy and moderate approach. I recently cut out the sandwich I had daily on whole grain bread. I never gained from it but it totally stalled my loss. Once I cut it out, I lost 3 lbs over a few days. Now as expected, the weight loss has slowed down. I think I will try having that sandwich just once a week and see what happens. So it won't really be a cheat DAY but rather one healthy item with higher carbs and the rest of the meals like a regular low carb day.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pony47
Stats: Highest 228 27 yrs ago/115 maintaining 5'6"
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: many times over 20 yrs/from size 24 to size 0
I'm in maintenance and I do that. But I never would have done it every week. As other people say, one leads to another. However, I did have a cheat day every month - helped me not feel deprived of everything.
Pony47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #53

Gallery: flatferenghi
i do not dare try a cheat day.

as every indiscretion turns into a binge. But...that is me. And, I am quite content with my low carb bread (1 portion a day at work, none on weekends). But for those who can succeed with a cheat day, that is great. This troll is no spoilsport. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I do have cheats when it is a special occasion and only when it is something I really want. I take a weekend off every three to four weeks when I visit my family out of town. I eat my local favorites and don't feel bad about it at all. I think if I would have said that I can never have my favorite meals again I would have been setting myself up for failure. When something becomes forbidden it makes you want it even more. That is basic human nature. Instead of saying never again, I'm saying I will limit these yummy high carb foods to when I am out of town or a special occasion.

I have no problem going back to low carb as soon as I arrive back home and the extra weight I pack on is usually gone in a week. It might slow my weight lose down, but it doesn't stop it. And I don't feel like I am deprived.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
My ex is doing this. It's called Slow Carb. He eats high protein, low sugar all week. Every Saturday he eats whatever he wants. He starts eating at midnight on Saturday and goes until 11:59 pm. Then, he just shuts it off. He feels awful and takes it out on me the next day and a half, but it works for him. I shock my metabolism sometimes. It works for me. No harm in trying-if you are the type who can get right back on it if it doesn't work.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
I always think I can do this... I can't! This will be something i may incorporate when/if I get to maintenence levels...
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
I have been lc'ing for just over 3 months now, and lost between 20 and 25 lbs. I was having some major cravings for some reason, and methodically i decided to give in to the temptation, and eat some bad stuff. No reason to say what, unless anyone wants to know. So i planned it, and on Monday i did it for one afternoon, i ate much bad things After that, including dinner that night, and since then (mon night/tue/wed/thu) - i have been back on track as planned. Yes it's stalled my weight loss, and yes i gained a tiny bit, but i knew i would, and it was part of it. By giving into these strong cravings, i've move passed them, and as i said, am now back on track. Insulin is released just from the cravings, and like i say, now that they're gone, the weight loss will start again from eating delicious proteins and fats and veg
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #58
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
Insulin is released just from the cravings,
What? Sorry but I've never read anything like this, do you have some sort of study or something? That's interesting!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 7/30/14...166.6/165.1/125
I did this during my first time doing LC after one of my kids was born. I would eat super clean all week, then on Sunday our whole family would go out to lunch at a restaraunt, and I would order anything I wanted, including dessert. I would be up a couple of pounds the next day, but it would always be gone plus more by the end of the week. I lost 45 pounds in 4.5 months doing this. You have to be good at getting right back on track though .
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
My husband's uncle is a personal trainer and he recommends the same thing if you stall. Dunno if it works, I have too little self control to cheat and start again like that.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote