Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 02:32 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: adarix_dma
Flaxseed and bloatiness/gas...

Hey guys! I just started adding a tablespoon of ground flaxseeds to my daily diet. I did this for health reasons, not for potty reasons! LOL!

Anyway, although my potty habits haven't changed, I was incredibly bloaty and gassy! I've only been doing this for 6 days when I realized it had to be the flaxseed since nothing else was changed in my diet. I stopped it a day or so ago and now I am back to 'normal'.

My question is: will my body eventually get used to this and the bloating will subside or am doomed forever? Truly, I cannot live my life like that! Yuck is how I feel....

Is there anything else I can do to help? I really want the benefits and I've been told I need about a tablespoon a day. I don't want to go to flaxseed oil since there are so many benefits to ground flaxseeds. However, I can't live with this problem!

Thanks in advance....and happy L'Carbing!

Diane
adarix_dma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2005, 04:54 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: USexpat
WOE: Nourishing Traditions
Try a teaspoon at a time, until your body gets used to that, then take it up to 2 teaspoons, then up to the tablespoon. Are you eating them on their own? Don't--mix them up with something else, not just juice or water. Yes, your body will adapt, you've just got to perservere. I eat loads of the stuff, and never had the problem, but I've certainly had it with other things, so I know it's a horror!

Also, I don't know if you're grinding them yourself or buying them already ground? The oils in the seeds are very fragile, so it's much better to grind the whole seeds and eat them right away, or refrigerate them. I grind a pint mason jar's worth each week and keep them in the fridge.
USexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:12 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alison Jean 71
Stats: 159/121/119 5'6" 40yrs
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: January 3, 2004
I love flaxseed. It does not cause me to bloat or have gas. I eat about 3 tablespoons a day. If you do think it is the flax causing the problem I agree that you should gradually increase the amount over a short period of time. Your body should adjust pretty quickly. Try making Spongebob's flax bread. There is a huge thread in the recipe help and suggestion forum. So many great ideas. It is absolutely delicious. I stick to the original and omit the oil and reduce the amount of nuts added to lower the fat. It is a great recipe. If you like flax and have not tried it, I really recommend it.
Alison Jean 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:31 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Nean
Stats: (280ish) 223/196/135
Start Date: 5/21/05
Agree with above. Start slowly, your gut should get used to it. If you add slowly and then still have the problem, then you can look at whether you are allergic.
Nean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:16 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Illy
Stats: 5'6" - 278/273.6/200
WOE: lc, low sugar
I think I'm allergic to flaxmeal, every time I eat the muffins I get a rash/ithcy in my face. I love the stuff though, so I still make them regardless, its my fix, I pretend I'm eating regular muffins.
Illy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:36 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I am surprised that more people haven't had an issue with that. I will try and add a teaspon at a time and gradually build up.

Also, I need to check out that recipe for flax bread. I really don't want to give up on this stuff since its supposed to be so good for you!

Thanks again and happy L'Carbing!

Diane

P.S. I do grind my own in a coffee grinder and keep them in the freezer! Why should I not eat them alone; just wondering.

Last edited by adarix_dma; 08-19-2005 at 08:40 AM..
Old 05-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KAVECHUCO
flax seed and gas

Hi Diane,
I, too, get horrendous gas with flaxseed. I've been on it for almost a year and it's just not getting better so I'm going to try to get a digestive enzyme supplement at the health food store. If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to give it up. For me, it's just too much. I DO have a sensitive stomach, I know that, but this is just ridiculous.
I just wanted to give you my two cents worth.
Good luck.
Kathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarix_dma View Post
Hey guys! I just started adding a tablespoon of ground flaxseeds to my daily diet. I did this for health reasons, not for potty reasons! LOL!

Anyway, although my potty habits haven't changed, I was incredibly bloaty and gassy! I've only been doing this for 6 days when I realized it had to be the flaxseed since nothing else was changed in my diet. I stopped it a day or so ago and now I am back to 'normal'.

My question is: will my body eventually get used to this and the bloating will subside or am doomed forever? Truly, I cannot live my life like that! Yuck is how I feel....

Is there anything else I can do to help? I really want the benefits and I've been told I need about a tablespoon a day. I don't want to go to flaxseed oil since there are so many benefits to ground flaxseeds. However, I can't live with this problem!

Thanks in advance....and happy L'Carbing!

Diane
KAVECHUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:34 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Hi Kathy!

Wow! I started this thread in 2005? I can't believe it is almost three years later and I am happy to report...

I am NOW taking THREE tablespoons of flax seed a day without ANY issues! Yippee! Here was my solution: I HAVE TO DRINK ABOUT 20+ OUNCES OF WATER WITH IT. Not, sipping it. Drinking it right along with the flax seed.

I've been successful with this for quite some time once someone pointed out that you don't just drink a little extra water 'around' the time of the flaxseed; rather you make sure the water - and lots of it - it taken at the SAME time. It made all the difference in the world.

BTW, I have taken digestive enzymes when I first started with flax seed and I continue to do so. It did not appear to make any difference for me in terms of my body's response to flax seed.

I wish you luck, Kathy! Let us know how you do with it...
Old 02-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hannahlehigh
I eat flax meal and I feel fine but flax seeds make me very gassy. I was so concerned that I thought I may have ovarian cancer. Gas is one thing you get with that cancer. I stopped eating flax seeds today and I hope the gas goes soon because it feels awful. I know I'll continue with the flax meal once my body recovers. I also didn't start slowly with a tsp. and work my way up to a tbsp so that could have a big impact on my gas.
hannahlehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I cannot eat flax for this very reason.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: FloridaShell
Stats: Grrr/Grrr/130
WOE: My own way of l/cing
Start Date: 1/2/08
Flax makes me noisy.
FloridaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
I am so sorry to resurrect this thread. I have the same problem! And the problem is I cannot stop eating OMM! I probably have at least one a day, sometimes two. I love it so much but now DH doesn't wanna be near me LOL

I will try drinking LOTS of water whenever I eat OMM and hopefully this will help. Flax has also help with regularity so I'm happy about that.
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:46 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LosingKitty
Stats: 298/206.5/145
Dollkey,
Make your OMM with Almond meal instead. I like it better. Its not a whole lot different though. I get a one lb bag at Trader Joes for $3.99, if you cant find it you can grind almonds into almond meal. Maybe you still want flax for its benefits but maybe do half&half and see if that works better for you.
LosingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingKitty View Post
Dollkey,
Make your OMM with Almond meal instead. I like it better. Its not a whole lot different though. I get a one lb bag at Trader Joes for $3.99, if you cant find it you can grind almonds into almond meal. Maybe you still want flax for its benefits but maybe do half&half and see if that works better for you.
I can't really do almond meal since almonds can't be found locally and are quite expensive.
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:44 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LosingKitty
Stats: 298/206.5/145
Ooops didn't even notice you are in the Phillipines. I always stupidly assume everything grows in Tropical areas.

off the USDA website:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Production, Supply and Distribution (PSD) database contains data on shelled, sweet almonds for the United States, Greece, India, Italy, Spain, and Turkey. Despite the differences in data sets, both sources (FAO and USDA PSD) show that the United States is the largest producer of almonds in the world.
It also says Almonds grow wild in Turkey.

I was never a big Almond fan but I love to use Almond meal.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
I can't do flaxmeal or seeds either - the gas is unbelievable!
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
I tell you something.. every low carb website was touting this flaxseed...so I had to try it.. made a muffin.. and almost passed out...it is the worst stuff I have ever tasted...it was like that bran muffin my mom used to love, except on steroids...I do have almond meal in the freezer.. that I can't wait to try...
crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fixin
Stats: 5 ft 9 140/128/130
WOE: cycling carbs and calories (JUDD Enthusiast)
Flax makes me gassy too. But I also am in love with it. I love the flax bread! I need to try drinking the 20 oz of water. I notice I get more gas if I eat the flax in the latter vs earlier part of my cycle. Progesterone slows digestion. Progesterone rises in the luteal phase so the flax likely stays longer in the digestive tract. I actually have to take more progesterone due to issues, so this is made even worse during that time.
fixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Meenie
What, please, is "OMM"

I want to start eating flax but am afraid it will cause bloat/gas. I've found in the past that fiber does this.
Meenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Illy
Stats: 5'6" - 278/273.6/200
WOE: lc, low sugar
I recently bought the golden flaxmeal from Costco and have not made me gassy at all. It works wonderful for cleaning the pipes :blush: My issue is I still get itchy, so I drink plenty of water.
I love it, its the only thing that makes me feel i'm eating something close to normal. I low lc but I miss my muffins and breads
Illy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
I make the OMM with a mixture of flaxseed meal and pecan meal or almond meal and have had no problem but I only eat a half one most of the time. When I eat a whole one, I always have coffee, usually two cups along with it, so maybe that is why I don't have a problem. I use the golden flaxseed meal.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meenie View Post
I want to start eating flax but am afraid it will cause bloat/gas. I've found in the past that fiber does this.
An "OMM" stands for One Minute Muffin. They are delicious! The basic recipe is:

1/4 c Flaxmeal
1 tblsp Truvia/Splenda
1 tbsp butter
1 egg
1/2 tsp Baking powder

Blend well in a coffee mug with a fork to 'scramble' it. Place coffee mug mixture in microwave and nuke it for about 1 minute. Slice and butter! Yum!!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote