Old 04-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JadedOne
Stats: 356/159/170
WOE: 'Maintaning' but still losing!
Start Date: January 2003
I feel so sick since using coconut oil

I started using it yesterday.
I had about 3 tbsp spread thruout the day.
I feel very ill.
Today I feel like Im gonna loose it.
(i had 1 tbsp so far today, about 2-3 hours ago)
My stomach is so upset, and I think the toilet and I will be making close friends later, hugging and all.

Anyone else notice this after coconut oil, or is this just a coiencidence? (sp)

JadedOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm#2

See question #2

BTW -- IMHO this is the best place to get your CO.
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do mostly lowfat lowcal, so yeah, that makes sense.
well, i just lost my lunch.
i feel better now.
guess i will ease back on the stuff.....

Thanks Tessie

Heres the exerpt

2. Are there side effects to VCNO?
Yes, there could be, especially if your body is used to a low-fat diet regimen. Since lauric acid is antibacterial and anti-viral, there could also be "die-off" effects from the VCNO as these organisms are eliminated from the body. The most common side affect is diarrhea. While 3 Tbsp. is recommended as the daily dosage by some researchers, it is probably best not to start with that amount, or take it all at once. Spread it out over the course of the day, and reduce your intake if there are side effects. Like any food, some people could possibly have allergic reactions to VCNO as well, although it has traditionally nourished millions if not billions of people throughout Asia for thousands of years
Old 04-14-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2Mayhem
Stats: SW 274.9 / CW 263.3 / GW 160.0
WOE: LCHF + BPC
Start Date: 01/02/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedOne
I started using it yesterday.
I had about 3 tbsp spread thruout the day.
I feel very ill.
Today I feel like Im gonna loose it.
(i had 1 tbsp so far today, about 2-3 hours ago)
My stomach is so upset, and I think the toilet and I will be making close friends later, hugging and all.

Anyone else notice this after coconut oil, or is this just a coiencidence? (sp)

[COLOR=DarkOrange]For the first two days, I was a little queasy, but I am doing ok now. [/COLOR]
Mom2Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: binki
Stats: 190/160/140
WOE: just low carb
Start Date: November 2003
No problems here; I feel fine after three days of at least four or five T each day. I'm a big fan of fat in general, though, and haven't been on a low-fat diet in 20 years.
binki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Some people need to start with a small amount & gradually increase. I never had any problem with it myself; I started out taking 6 tablespoons from day one.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:53 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherFeather
Stats: 185/175/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: Nov 2002 restart 6/2011
I was a little sick at first. I think it was a die-off. I already mentioned this on another thread, but, just for the record...I'm really glad I stuck with it. It's paying off now.

Last edited by HeatherFeather; 04-14-2005 at 06:54 PM..
HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnred
Stats: 205/??/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 07/18/05
I know I will get bashed for this but hello????? There is no magic oil or fast or pill to lose weight. Follow a healthy diet such as, well, ATKINS, and you will lose the weight. Play around with spices, and/or LF, and/or pills, and/or fasting, but don't be surprised if you feel dizzy or sick or tired. Why do people come here and try to lose weight any other way than is healthy???? Atkins or other low carb diets are about lifestye changes...not fast weight loss...or am I missing something?
lynnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:06 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jjcj
Stats: 182/164/160
Start Date: feb 14 05
I don't think coconut oil is a magic pill but what is happening is Jaded one has the yeast dieing off inher body. My motherinlaw has a very sever yeast problem and any excess sugar or variation in her diet sends her into it bad. Once she realizes and starts back on her yeast free diet she gets die off and then is sick for a few days.

Actually it is a pretty nice thing cause jaded now knows that she will probably loose a bunch of weight pretty quick.
jjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:09 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoCarbGamer
Stats: 5'3" age 43
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Resstart Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnred
I Why do people come here and try to lose weight any other way than is healthy???? Atkins or other low carb diets are about lifestye changes...not fast weight loss...or am I missing something?
From what I've gathered from the posts I've read, everyone here is low-carbing and exercising and adding this as a PART of their healthy lifestyle.

Is anyone giving up everything else for "magic" coconut oil?

Hope your feeling better Jade and thanks for posting this. I think I'll start a bit slower.

Last edited by LoCarbGamer; 04-15-2005 at 04:10 AM..
LoCarbGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: uniquelymade
Stats: tight 18/20 Now 10
WOE: Whole foods Low Carb
I hope you feel better soon!
uniquelymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:11 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sher795
Stats: 200/140/130(3rd goal)
WOE: Atkins;Yogurt
Start Date: 8-30-03
I'm glad you posted this since i have also noticed since starting to take 2 days ago, that I get slightly queasy after eating the bark. NOt horrible enough to quit.

Sherry
sher795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:15 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sanderson76
Stats: 155/148.8/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: 11/14/11
Quote:
Why do people come here and try to lose weight any other way than is healthy???? Atkins or other low carb diets are about lifestye changes...not fast weight loss...or am I missing something?
I think its just making your diet healthier and not fast weight loss.. My mother in law swears by this stuff and can tell a huge difference in herself and my father in law..She isn't trying to lose weight and she isn't following any certain diet. Just eating healthy.
sanderson76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:27 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

All I can say is...I feel like a different person. I'm able to run for an hour and half and not feel that bad. Two months ago I could only go one block. Read the studies, it's all about the MCFA's (medium chain fatty acids). Not magic...just chemistry. Just like the low carb lifestyle isn't magic...just chemistry...SMART chemistry.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:51 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondyi40
Stats: 164/139/146/120Atkins
Start Date: Feb. 2002/
This is very interesting and HEATHER thanks for the info on the other coconut thread
Blondyi40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bluemaggie
Stats: 181/181/135
Start Date: Restart April 10, 05
Sorry to hear you are ill. I started yesterday using that recipe that involved cocoa powder. I feel great. Maybe it is something else that is making you ill.
bluemaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smileybrunette
Stats: Don't know weight-wear size 6
WOE: 0 Carbs
Start Date: 9/04
I don't think people should criticize something until they've tried it. It's easy to poo-poo a new idea when you have done little research on it. I do my research before jumping on a bandwagon and coconut oil is working for me. It also works for other people, and there's ample information on it that says it is beneficial. Read the www.tropicaltraditions.com site as well as the www.mercola.com site on it. Check out the excerpts from Dr. Mary Enig on those sites who explains why CO is better for you than other so-called "healthy" oils that are being pushed by the food industry (and, folks, we all know how concerned with our health the food industry is, what with the preservatives and other additives they've been putting in our highly refined food).

Aside from that, just anecdotally, my sister who lost 10 lbs on coconut oil in a month without even trying also cares for mentally disabled people in her home and her husband who is the main caretaker was so impressed with her progress that they put one problem patient on it, who is severely diabetic, overweight, and resistant to changing his sugar-laden diet. Within a couple of weeks, his blood sugar has gone down enough to lower his dose of insulin to half. That doesn't sound like some airy-fairy, pie-in-the-sky kind of results to me. It sounds to me like real results that can really benefit real people.

As for the nausea, I overdid the first day I was on it, and I did feel queasy at first. I cut back to 2 tablespoons spread out throughout the day, and the nausea went away entirely by the next day. I was more careful about raising the amount after that. I didn't have any problem with it again. A couple of days into it, I started having energy to burn. I'm still on 3 tablespoons a day with no difficulties.

Last edited by smileybrunette; 04-15-2005 at 10:17 AM..
smileybrunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rosetta
Stats: 198/149/135
Start Date: July, 2002
Hi, I posted in another thread about feeling a little funny, almost like I was catching a cold, but it passed quickly. I just lowered my dose yesterday to 2 Tbsp. 3 was too much to start with for me. I got a laxative effect, for two days I had loose stools. It wasn't really bad, though. Kind of a good thing for me.

I hope you feel better, I think for some of us, we need to gradually build up. I'm happy with my weight loss for the week, I had a big whoosh this morning. I've lost 4 1/2 lbs this week. I ate sloppy all weekend, then re-inducted on Monday. I'm pretty sure the coconut oil helped. This much loss is fast for me for a first week of induction. I'm going to stick with it.

Reached Goal 135 lbs. (11-14-2003)

*Successfully maintained at or under my 135 goal from 2003 until 2008! After that, up & down.

Last edited by Rosetta; 04-15-2005 at 10:56 AM..
Rosetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:48 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
I'm currently reading "The Coconut Oil Miracle" by Bruce Fife.
This book gives a lot of good info on coconut oil. It's not only the oil that is beneficial. Eating fresh or dried coconut or coconut milk is also good.

These contain about the same amount of MCFA:
3 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
7 oz. fresh coconut meat (about half a coconut)
2 3/4 cup dried, shredded coconut
10 oz. coconut milk

If you're having problems with the oil, cut back on it and perhaps use a little of the other forms until you can build up your amount of oil.

The book mentioned above has a good recipe to use coconut milk and ideas for smoothies.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

[I do want to state that I'm not crazy about Bruce Fife's attitude toward saturated fats. He seems to still go along with the "fat is bad" attitude (except coconut oil, of course). But if you ignore that, the book has some good info and some recipes (not many are low carb).]

"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - La Rochefoucauld

Uncover the LYME Epidemic - watch "Under Our Skin"
RubyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:46 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I know I will get bashed for this but hello????? There is no magic oil or fast or pill to lose weight. Follow a healthy diet such as, well, ATKINS, and you will lose the weight. Play around with spices, and/or LF, and/or pills, and/or fasting, but don't be surprised if you feel dizzy or sick or tired. Why do people come here and try to lose weight any other way than is healthy???? Atkins or other low carb diets are about lifestye changes...not fast weight loss...or am I missing something?

Hi I've lost more than 60 pounds on Atkins over the past few years. I've also been coming to this BB for years. Dr. Atkins recommends using healthy oils. I'm not really sure you think we think we have some sort of magic oil, but I looked into coconut oil and it is a very healthy oil. On Atkins, I switched long ago to olive oil (extra virgin) grapeseed for frying, butter, and I use canola & peanut oils sparingly. I eat avocados for their many healthy properties, healthy fat included. Atkins has been my WOE for years, and I'm going to keep going. I woudn't do anything against eating clean.

I eat organic, clean, natural foods as much as possible (and I'm trying to do better with that all the time) I would never take pills or do anything else like that. Coconut oil is natural and healthy. Have you looked into the research on it? A lot of people who don't like Atkins (and don't know much about it) think it's crazy to eat mayonaise, butter, eggs and cheese. I'm not going against my WOE, and I think you are over-reacting to this without knowing the facts.

Last edited by Rosetta; 04-15-2005 at 12:40 PM..
Old 04-15-2005, 02:08 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was sick all day yesterday.
I threw up all day.
The thought or sight of coconut oil makes me FEEL sick.
Mark my words, I will never ever touch that stuff as long as I live,no matter the benefits!
I still feel yucky this morning.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:24 PM   #22
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: iluvgreys
Stats: 180/135/125 5'2"
Start Date: June 2003
Quote:

I think you need to read up on the benefits of coconut oil. We are doing low carb! Who do you think you are?
iluvgreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #23
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgreys
I think you need to read up on the benefits of coconut oil. We are doing low carb! Who do you think you are?
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I was sick all day yesterday.
I threw up all day.
The thought or sight of coconut oil makes me FEEL sick.
Mark my words, I will never ever touch that stuff as long as I live,no matter the benefits!
I still feel yucky this morning.

I'm so sorry you're so sick! Are you sure you don't have that stomach virus that's been going around or the flu? In any case, I hope you feel better. Don't worry about the coconut oil now. Just take care.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:32 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosetta
I'm so sorry you're so sick! Are you sure you don't have that stomach virus that's been going around or the flu? In any case, I hope you feel better. Don't worry about the coconut oil now. Just take care.

nope, it was definatley the coconut oil
everyone else around me is just fine, and have eaten similar things, besides the oil.
plus, just the thought of it makes me feel very
Old 04-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
nope, it was definatley the coconut oil
everyone else around me is just fine, and have eaten similar things, besides the oil.
plus, just the thought of it makes me feel very
I wonder if you have candida? They say that this can be what causes this. You mentioned before that you do very low low calories in order to lose. I wonder if your body is very resistant to losing because of a candida problem? You might want to look into it.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:22 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=smileybrunette]Aside from that, just anecdotally, my sister who lost 10 lbs on coconut oil in a month without even trying also cares for mentally disabled people in her home and her husband who is the main caretaker was so impressed with her progress that they put one problem patient on it, who is severely diabetic, overweight, and resistant to changing his sugar-laden diet. Within a couple of weeks, his blood sugar has gone down enough to lower his dose of insulin to half. That doesn't sound like some airy-fairy, pie-in-the-sky kind of results to me. It sounds to me like real results that can really benefit real people.
QUOTE]

Have you read any of the latest research on cinnamon and it's affect on blood sugar? I bet that would really help your sister's patient as well. It would be so interesting if they tried that too.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:24 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherFeather
I wonder if you have candida? They say that this can be what causes this. You mentioned before that you do very low low calories in order to lose. I wonder if your body is very resistant to losing because of a candida problem? You might want to look into it.

whats candida?
Im off to google it now!
Old 04-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondyi40
Stats: 164/139/146/120Atkins
Start Date: Feb. 2002/
Quote:
whats candida?
Im off to google it now!
Jaded....I think Atkis said in his book if you had any yeast which is candida that cocnutoil would help it go away but u might feel kind of icky till it is gone. I have been taking yeast pills for 2 years thats what got my weight off 2 years ago and I still take them but not as many. Mine are solar Ray yeast cleanse.

Linda
Blondyi40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

symptoms of Candida yeast overgrowth may include:

Constant fatigue

Oral Thrush (white film in mouth or on tongue)

Abdominal pain

Bloating and indigestion

Joint pain with arthritis-like symptoms

Chronic sinus drainage -which antibiotics don't help!

Weight loss OR gain and the inability to change it.

Brain "fog"

Fungus on the finger or toe-nails

Urinary infections (again, not helped by antibiotics)

Itching, red eyes

Rashes anywhere on the skin (eczema)

Rashes inside the ears or around the groin area

Anal or vaginal itching

Hair loss / vision problems