Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2004, 06:41 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: bethany
Stats: 5'3" 180/166/120
WOE: Carb/Calorie Cycling
Start Date: Restarted 09/15/04
I don't think it's "special" cinnamon in the caps...it's just "convenient" cinnamon! I would take the caps if I could buy them easily.
bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2004, 06:50 PM   #92
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: collrob2101
WOE: back to low carb
Start Date: 06/2/2007
yeah how much should i take?
collrob2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:54 PM   #93
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: nobimbo
WOE: low carb
Yes, it's just regular cinnamon in the capsules. It is the type of cinnamon that was used in the study discussed in this article (the same used in apple pie):

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994413

You could make the caps yourself by buying empty capsules; I'm too lazy for that. One bottle of the Cap-T-Cin has 180 caps, so it lasts me 3 months. I like taking it in capsule form because then I am certain I'm getting the same amount each day.

There hasn't been any research on long-term ingestion of cinnamon, and there is some thought that the compounds in the oil-soluble part of cinnamon could be toxic over time (but there's no evidence of that). There is a special formulation of cinnamon that is the extracted, water-soluble part of it (it contains MHCP, which is very safe, and is the compound in cinnamon that helps with lowering blood sugar), and it has been patented and is called Cinnulin PF. You can do a google search and find it at many sites (cinnamon caps containing it are much more expensive than the regular variety, though). Some people make a type of cinnamon tea, where the oil soluble part falls to the bottom in a sledge, then you filter the sledge out and all you have left is the water-soluble part. Again, I'm too lazy for that! Here is the recipe for that from a diabetic site:

"To use cinnamon to help lower blood sugar and broadly improve NIDDM and IDDM, put 3 rounded tablespoons ground cinnamon and 1 to 2 tsp. baking soda (use lesser amount if sodium is a problem for you) in a 32 oz. (quart) canning jar. Fill the jar with boiling water, and let steep at room temperature until cool. Strain or decant liquid and discard "grounds", then put lid on jar and refrigerate. Drink 1 cup (8 oz.) of the tea 4 times per day. After 1-3 weeks, drop to 1 to 2 cups per day, or use as needed. For those with IDDM, start with only 1-2 cups per day, and increase by 1 cup per week, monitoring blood sugar closely. Buying cinnamon in bulk is cost-effective and highly recommended."

Note: there is a compound in cinnamon that acts very much like Coumadin, which is a blood-thinner; cinnamon can cause thinning of the blood, so it's best to not take too much of it. It can also cause heavier menstrual bleeding if taken in larger amounts.

Linda
nobimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:28 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: puttchikins
another use for cinnamom when I was giving up smoking I used a cinnamon stick it was about the size and weight of a cigarette and I used to carry it around and puff on it and you'd get a burst of cinnamon felt kind of like smoking and at any rate was a psycological crutch to get you through the worst of the caravings...That was 22 years ago but I am sure it would still help people trying to quit smoking...
Anyway I am off to the health food store this morning to see what type he recommends.....
puttchikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:43 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Louise_1967
WOE: Low carb
I put a cinnamon stick in with my decaf coffee grounds this morn......yummers!! Dbf said 'hm, this flavoured coffee tastes soo good." lmao...........he still doesn't even know he is drinking decaf.......lol........sneaky eh?
Louise_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:04 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
ok Bethany,
Sprinkle it on your cat
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:58 AM   #97
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Melbalina
Stats: start 140, now 129, goal: 125
WOE: Atkins
post some results??? am interested in this idea as I love cinnamon in my SF hot choc at night. I would like to hear some success/results tho
Melbalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:17 AM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kcbookworm
Results ... this is my 3rd day using cinnamon. I put a good amount in my 2 cups of coffee each morning. I have also added it to mock danish, peanut butter/vanilla syrup, and cream cheese/vanilla syrup. I am probably consuming 1/2-1 tsp a day. As of this morning, I have lost 3 lbs this week! The only other change I have made in my diet is being careful to consume 96 oz of water a day (one 32 oz bottle in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one in the evening). I should point out that prior to the cinnamon and monitored water, I had not lost any weight for 2 weeks. So one of these two things has broken my mini-stall!

LA-Lady ... how are you doing with the cinnamon?

Too many books, too little time!
kcbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:37 AM   #99
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

KC, wow that is awesome!!!
how about any others?????
Old 11-05-2004, 08:44 AM   #100
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Carb&Driver
Stats: 201/189.4/135
WOE: Kimkins & K/E
Start Date: Jan. 3, '07
Quote:
Originally posted by nobimbo
There hasn't been any research on long-term ingestion of cinnamon, and there is some thought that the compounds in the oil-soluble part of cinnamon could be toxic over time (but there's no evidence of that). There is a special formulation of cinnamon that is the extracted, water-soluble part of it (it contains MHCP, which is very safe, and is the compound in cinnamon that helps with lowering blood sugar), and it has been patented and is called Cinnulin PF. You can do a google search and find it at many sites (cinnamon caps containing it are much more expensive than the regular variety, though). Some people make a type of cinnamon tea, where the oil soluble part falls to the bottom in a sledge, then you filter the sledge out and all you have left is the water-soluble part. Again, I'm too lazy for that! Here is the recipe for that from a diabetic site:

"To use cinnamon to help lower blood sugar and broadly improve NIDDM and IDDM, put 3 rounded tablespoons ground cinnamon and 1 to 2 tsp. baking soda (use lesser amount if sodium is a problem for you) in a 32 oz. (quart) canning jar. Fill the jar with boiling water, and let steep at room temperature until cool. Strain or decant liquid and discard "grounds", then put lid on jar and refrigerate. Drink 1 cup (8 oz.) of the tea 4 times per day. After 1-3 weeks, drop to 1 to 2 cups per day, or use as needed. For those with IDDM, start with only 1-2 cups per day, and increase by 1 cup per week, monitoring blood sugar closely. Buying cinnamon in bulk is cost-effective and highly recommended."

Note: there is a compound in cinnamon that acts very much like Coumadin, which is a blood-thinner; cinnamon can cause thinning of the blood, so it's best to not take too much of it. It can also cause heavier menstrual bleeding if taken in larger amounts.

Linda
Linda, thanks so much for that very important info. That's good to know! I don't know if I like the tea idea. I only drink green tea, orange pekoe, and earl grey teas. Any other type of tea has never worked for me. But I wouldn't mind doing the baking soda straining, so long as I could still sprinkle the leftover good stuff into my decaf.
Carb&Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:47 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Louise_1967
WOE: Low carb
Quote:
omg!! thanks for this info.
my periods are horrible all on their own......I dont' need to make them worse!!
Louise_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:53 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MrsJackSprat
Stats: Next mini goal-325!
WOE: Atkins '72.
Start Date: Atkins, 2001/Atkins '72, 2-2-05
Cinnamon and BS

Quote:
I haven't heard about thermogenic properties (like cayenne pepper) but supposedly it HAS been proven to help regulate blood sugar levels and is listed as a recommendation on the Diabetic's website for such.
I tested my blood glucose this evening and it was 183. I took two cinnamon tabs and retested 30 min. later. (that was the ONLY thing I did ) and I had dropped down to 161!!! Maybe I'll just use cinnamon instead of oral meds

Has anybody else used it or experimented with it for high BS???
MrsJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 05:40 AM   #103
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: la.lady
Stats: 184.8 /172.8/ 155/-5' 7"
WOE: God's Plan/ LC / Loving the way I feel!!
Start Date: 8/1/12 / I'm losing it, pounds that is !!!
MrsJackSprat

I sure wouldn't advise you to give up your oral meds. My daughter has been full blown diabetic since she was 20 years old. Diabetes is something you don't want to mess around with. I would use the cinnamon in addition to your meds.
la.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 06:30 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mickyzzzzz05
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: July 24 2003 Aktins/10/09 MM
I don't have real concrete results since I only found this thread yesterday and took 1 tsp yesterday. I am down 1 pound this morning but with the fluctuations of my weight I usually like to take an average over a week. I will tell you that I have been on a huge STALL - I can maintain with no problem. So after a week of this I will try to remember to report.

I took 1 oz of cream cheese - stirred it up to soften it - put in 1 tsp of cinnamon and some splenda. Stirred it up smooth and ate it. Very good!
I tried it in my coffee yesterday but that was not the most pleasant of experiences!
mickyzzzzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:26 AM   #105

I really believe that the Cinnamon is melting the fat away. I have lost 2 inches around my stomach since I started using it. Wow
Old 11-06-2004, 07:30 AM   #106
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by la.lady
I really believe that the Cinnamon is melting the fat away. I have lost 2 inches around my stomach since I started using it. Wow
how long have you been using it? How do you take it?
Old 11-06-2004, 07:40 AM   #107

I just started using it 4 days ago.
I use regular cinnamon and most of the time I mix it with cream cheese and an artifical sweetner.
Right now I am just taking 1 tsp. a day. I've heard that you can use two tsp. a day.
Be sure not to over do it. Some say that too much is not good.
I also use it in my Coffee.
I know it speeds me up, because about two minutes after taking it I get real hot.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:50 AM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by la.lady
I just started using it 4 days ago.
I use regular cinnamon and most of the time I mix it with cream cheese and an artifical sweetner.
Right now I am just taking 1 tsp. a day. I've heard that you can use two tsp. a day.
Be sure not to over do it. Some say that too much is not good.
I also use it in my Coffee.
I know it speeds me up, because about two minutes after taking it I get real hot.
thanks i am off today to buy some!! does it matter what brand?
Old 11-06-2004, 08:19 AM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LaGuera
Stats: 247/209/143
Start Date: a couple of years ago
For those of you who want to take the capsules, you can buy empty gel-caps...maybe at the pharmacy. My brother fills the gell-caps with ginger to keep my SIL from getting car sick. I plan to look for the gel-caps to use on days I don't est cinn. in another form!
I usually put in it flax muffins and drink cinn. tea. I plan to try the cinn. tea recipe posted.
LaGuera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:24 AM   #110
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I am liking the sounds of this!

MickeyZZZZ and Patty...whoohoo's on the losses...keep those good reports a coming in!
Old 11-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For the tea drinkers: Tazo makes an herbal tea called Sweet Cinnamon Spice and it is WONDERFUL (it's my favorite tea of all time). I checked the ingredients in the box last night, and cinnamon is the very first ingredient!

BTW, if you can't find it at your grocery store, I think Starbucks carries Tazo, and I buy mine online at alltea (put in google or add the typical ending to get the link)
Old 11-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: puttchikins
I went to the health food store this morning and bought cinnamon extract pills..They were $12.98 for 60 200mg tablets and he recommended 3x per day...Both my husband and I will be taking them as he has high cholesterol, so we,ll see...I'll probably intersperse the tablets with table cinnamon when I am having something cinnamon goes with...........
puttchikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:10 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mickyzzzzz05
I took 1 oz of cream cheese - stirred it up to soften it - put in 1 tsp of cinnamon and some splenda. Stirred it up smooth and ate it.
I did the same thing a couple of days ago, except I also added sugar-free vanilla syrup and heated the mixture in the microwave. It was like having warm, cinnamon pudding. It was VERY good!

I weigh the same today as yesterday (161) so I have lost 3 lbs since Monday with the cinnamon and extra water. I put cinnamon in my 3 cups of coffee today and in my mock danish for breakfast. I will drink lots of water again today. A side effect of the cinnamon is that it makes me very thirsty. Good side effect because I then drink lots of water

I am hoping to be at 160 by the end of the weekend. I haven't weighed 160 in 4-5 years!
Old 11-06-2004, 09:13 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by puttchikins
I went to the health food store this morning and bought cinnamon extract pills..They were $12.98 for 60 200mg tablets and he recommended 3x per day...Both my husband and I will be taking them as he has high cholesterol, so we,ll see...I'll probably intersperse the tablets with table cinnamon when I am having something cinnamon goes with...........
Please post your results as you go!! It is hard to find things to add cinnamon in every day so I am anxious to see how those of you taking ready-made pills or self-made pills do! I am also curious if you have any stomach upset. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: heahyou00
Stats: 246/186/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 2007
I have been using cinnamon since reading this thread 3 days ago, just once per day in the mornings in my oatmeal that I eat. I have lost 2 pounds in those 3 days. I also work out at Curves, but I dont drink the amt of water I should, I have never been able to do that lol. Anyway I put a lot in there but it taste really good. I plan to keep using it.

Kelly
heahyou00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:35 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: almostanrn
Stats: 249/234/145
Start Date: Sept 22, 2004
I have used a hard shake in my meatloaf mix and hamburger mix.
almostanrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:51 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RoseLottie
I bought some Cinnamon pills at Walmart yesterday, 100 pills of 500 mg for 4.96!
RoseLottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:58 AM   #118
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Karsen
Stats: 199/194/149
WOE: LC - LCMY-startin over 10/10/10
Start Date: 10/10/10
Will just REGULAR cinnamon in the spice section of the grocery work if you want to just use the tsp. per day in your coffee or cream cheese??? Like reg. Kroger brand which I already have?
Karsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 10:41 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ketosisgirl
Stats: Post babies=218/170/125
WOE: Stress
Karsen, I believe you can just use regular old cinnamon that you buy in the grocery store. I have been following this thread and no one has indicated that you need a special kind of cinnamon.

I tried the cream cheese, 1 tsp. cinnamon & 1 Splenda thing today. I have to say, I had to really talk myself into eating it.. I found it be kind of icky. But, hey, if it helps me to lose weight it is worth it! I added a little bit of heavy cream to help to mix it together. I will try the SF Vanilla syrup and see it that helps the taste tomorrow.

I have been using a cinnamon stick in my green tea every morning for a few days and I did finally lose almost a pound today, after a long stall! Maybe this is the answer to help keep us all losing!
ketosisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:34 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I added a ton of cinnamon to my eggs/flaxseed/cheddar/spinach breakfast and really didn't notice the cinnamon much at all.

I have been losing much faster, but I'm not sure if it's due to the cinnamon, the carb cycling, or the fact that my body just left a 2 week slow period.

Last edited by bethany; 11-06-2004 at 11:48 AM..