Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2004, 04:59 PM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: genielady
Start Date: May 2, 2010
I am going to give this cinnamon additive a try for a week and see if I experience any more loss.
genielady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2004, 05:51 PM   #272
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jan in TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jan in TX
I'm off to buy some cinnamon
I've just noticed that the crest toothpaste(whitening expressions) we bought has cinnamon in it
Jan in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:44 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Smythe
Stats: restart 2/6/12 174/163/140
WOE: LC
started the cinnamon thing last thurs after a 5 day binge...lost 5 lbs, but that may be due to the 5 lb gain after the binge.
Smythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:20 AM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnred
Stats: 205/??/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 07/18/05
Quote:
Originally posted by bethany
I see a Cinnamon Challenge in the making!

However, before anyone gets the wild idea, I do NOT suggest a Cinnamon Fast!!
lynnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:59 AM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miraclemom
Stats: 270/???/175
WOE: Healthy eating
Start Date: June 2004
Cinnamon can go bad??!!!

I was just told by a friend of mine that cinnamon can go bad and a way to tell is if it is good it will have a sweet smell to it. I wonder if the effets are altered if it is bad. I bout some new cinnamon and it did smell sweet, but my old one did not.

Could that be why somearen't losing??!!!
miraclemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:03 AM   #276

Gallery: la.lady
Stats: 184.8 /172.8/ 155/-5' 7"
WOE: God's Plan/ LC / Loving the way I feel!!
Start Date: 8/1/12 / I'm losing it, pounds that is !!!
I never thought about that, but my old cinnamon didn't have much of an oder. I know the new one really tasts strong. Everyone needs to check their cinnamon out.
Thanks for bringing this up.
la.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:24 AM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Quote:
Originally posted by lynnred
Quote:
Originally posted by bethany
I see a Cinnamon Challenge in the making!

We have a thread in the Challenges room. It's not really a challenge... Just a place for Cinn. Users to share stats, and ideas. Come check it out!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...hreadid=291055
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:36 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circus
Stats: 208 03/05 ** 180 02/06
WOE: B.A.N.T.Anything
Start Date: October 29, 2004
I made gelatin wiggles with 9 teaspoons of ground cinnamon. Cut my square pan into nine pieces and I have it for nine days worth of cinnamon. Yummy too but it is easy to eat too much.

Last edited by circus; 11-17-2004 at 04:50 AM..
circus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:35 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
my own comments about cinnamon

1. DON'T overeat it. Some said it might be toxic--I overate (7 tsp) and the scale went up 5 lbs (could have been helped from a previous cheat--3rd day getting back into ketosis). I think my body was bloated--maybe from trying to detoxify it all !

2. Make it yourself and save money--buy sticks and grind them in a Vitamix (or HEAVY-duty coffee grinder). Or if your grocer has a good spice grinder, have him do it for you. The taste and smell is out of this world! And, if you do it at home--don't forget to put it in a strainer to just get the fine powder--seal tightly.

3. I used to hate and I mean HATE liver. I know it's more carbs than regular meat (almost 6 per 4 oz), but it has alot of benefits--like B Vitamins and Iron. I have Lebanese friends who introduced me to their way of doing liver--fry it in small chunks with onions, olive oil and........cinnamon! I know it sounds strange but God, it's one of my favorites now--whoever thought that the incredibly horrible taste of liver could become so good with cinnamon! Give it a try before you wrinkle your nose--it's really good (hint--I NEVER eat liver with a metalic fork--imparts a gross taste. I used to eat it with pita bread--I suppose LC tortillas would taste just as good.

Lucky4

Last edited by Lucky4; 11-17-2004 at 05:37 AM..
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:06 AM   #280

Gallery: vessel of prayer
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: low carb/atkins 72
Start Date: April 25 2014 again
liver is really good if you fry a little onion with bacon, keep the grease for the liver....fry the liver in the bacon grease, add the bacon and onion...MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.

I think I will look for Cinnamon in a bottle come thurs or fri when I go shopping. So far it s not working...
vessel of prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:43 AM   #281
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lilroten
Stats: up and down
Start Date: June 1, 2004
I've lost 4 lbs doing the cinnamon in 5 days. Since last night, I've had 5 people come up to me and comment about the amount of weight I've lost. These are people who see me every day. I think the cinnamon acting as a diuretic (sp) must have eliminated some puffiness because so many people have made comments last night and this morning.

Cinnamon... yummmmmm
lilroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:21 AM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Keri K
Start Date: Which time?
I just add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to boiled water like tea and sweeten with a touch of Splenda. Tastes great......you just need to stir it up REALLY well.
Keri K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:33 PM   #283
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Re: my own comments about cinnamon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky4
1. DON'T overeat it. Some said it might be toxic--I overate (7 tsp) and the scale went up 5 lbs (could have been helped from a previous cheat--3rd day getting back into ketosis). I think my body was bloated--maybe from trying to detoxify it all !

2. Make it yourself and save money--buy sticks and grind them in a Vitamix (or HEAVY-duty coffee grinder). Or if your grocer has a good spice grinder, have him do it for you. The taste and smell is out of this world! And, if you do it at home--don't forget to put it in a strainer to just get the fine powder--seal tightly.

3. I used to hate and I mean HATE liver. I know it's more carbs than regular meat (almost 6 per 4 oz), but it has alot of benefits--like B Vitamins and Iron. I have Lebanese friends who introduced me to their way of doing liver--fry it in small chunks with onions, olive oil and........cinnamon! I know it sounds strange but God, it's one of my favorites now--whoever thought that the incredibly horrible taste of liver could become so good with cinnamon! Give it a try before you wrinkle your nose--it's really good (hint--I NEVER eat liver with a metalic fork--imparts a gross taste. I used to eat it with pita bread--I suppose LC tortillas would taste just as good.

Lucky4
i use to eat a lot of liver... but i got worried about diseases and stuff in organ meats...is that still an issue?
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:13 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting Info

I found this statement in an article

Quote:
"Here's the main thing you'll need to know: My personal experience is that for boosting your own insulin's power, cinnamon must be ingested with each meal or up to an hour later. After that it will produce little effect. Nor is it useful as a once-a-day item. "
So I wonder if when you take it is important? Would 1 capsule right before a meal be more effective than all at one time? Or maybe that's just for diabetics?
Old 11-18-2004, 02:54 AM   #285
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: nobimbo
WOE: low carb
In the studies that were done on cinnamon, the subjects took it immediately following a meal.

Cinnamon is thought to help sensitize the body to insulin. Most (all?) overweight people have some degree of insulin resistance. Since insulin is a fat-storing hormone, it makes sense that anything that decreases insulin resistance would help with weight loss. It can take weeks for the cinnamon to "kick in" in terms of helping insulin resistance (this is true for insulin-sensitizing prescription meds as well, such as Metformin), so you have to be patient. I really think that any initial weight loss seen with it is due to it's diuretic effect. The other weight loss benefits happen later on.

Keep in mind that like anything else, YMMV. I have seen posts on diabetic boards and thyroid boards from people for whom cinnamon actually raised blood sugar levels, or caused bloating/water weight gain. For others, it had very positive effects.

Linda
nobimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:03 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

I took 2 caplets an hour before dinner last night and was not hungry at all. I ate about 2/3 of my dinner and was stuffed and did not go back for my usual seconds.

Then I took one more around 7:30p.m. when I ususally start my nightly snacking. I was not hungry AT ALL. Food did not even sound good.

Usually I have to talk myself out of late night snacking. But not last night. I wasn't even interested. This morning I am down 1.5 lbs. But I know that is because I ate normal amounts yesterday instead of gorging myself like I usually do.

But I will continue to take it for the appetite control. That is much needed!!!

I need to get my stomach used to normal portion sizes. Not the giant size ones I've been eating.

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Old 11-18-2004, 12:08 PM   #287
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Karyzma
WOE: Atkins Baby!!
Start Date: March '04
Cinnamon
Soothes indigestion, controls blood sugar in diabetics, prevents stomach ulcers, wards off urinary tract infections, fights tooth decay and gum disease, prevents vaginal yeast infections
Hot apple cider tastes flat without a cinnamon stick, and toast, cookies, candies and fruit salads all benefit from a generous sprinkle of cinnamon powder. But cinnamon is more than just a kitchen spice. It's been used medicinally for thousands of years. Modern science has confirmed its value for preventing infection and indigestion and has also discovered a couple of new therapeutic uses for the herb.

Cinnamon comes from the bark of an Asian tree. (The sticks are actually pieces of bark.) Ancient Chinese herbals mention it as early as 2700 BC, and Chinese herbalists still recommend it for fever, diarrhea and menstrual problems. Cinnamon was an ingredient in ancient Egyptian embalming mixtures. In the Bible, Moses used it in holy anointing oil.

After the fall of Rome, trade between Europe and Asia became difficult, but cinnamon was so prized that it still found its way west. The 12th-century German abbess and herbalist Hildegard of Bingen recommended it as "the universal spice for sinuses," and to treat colds, flu, cancer and "inner decay and slime," whatever that means.

Boastful Benefits
Several toothpastes are flavored with cinnamon, and for good reason. "Like all the spices used in curries," says Daniel B. Mowrey, Ph.D., director of the American Phytotherapy Research Laboratory in Salt Lake City, Utah, and author of The Scientific Validation of Herbal Medicine, "cinnamon is an antiseptic that helps kill the bacteria that cause tooth decay and gum disease." Cinnamon also kills many disease-causing fungi and viruses. One German study showed it "suppresses completely" the cause of most urinary tract infections (Escherichia coli bacteria) and the fungus responsible for vaginal yeast infections (Candida albicans).

Like many culinary spices, cinnamon helps soothe the stomach. But a Japanese animal study revealed that it also may help prevent ulcers.

It also appears to help people with diabetes metabolize sugar. In one form of diabetes (Type II, or non-insulin-dependent), the pancreas produces insulin, but the body cannot use it efficiently to break down glucose-the simple sugar that fuels body functions. U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) researchers discovered that cinnamon reduces the amount of insulin necessary for glucose metabolism.

Putting the herb to work
One-eighth of a teaspoon of cinnamon triples insulin efficiency," says James A. Duke, Ph.D., a botanist retired from the USDA and author of The CRC Handbook of Medicinal Herbs. Dr. Duke suggests that people with Type II diabetes discuss cinnamon's benefits with their doctor.

In foods, simply season to taste. For people with diabetes, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon per meal may help control blood sugar levels.

To brew a stomach-soothing tea, use 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of powdered herb per cup of boiling water. Steep 10 to 20 minutes. Drink up to three cups a day.

In powdered form, culinary amounts of cinnamon are nontoxic, although allergic reactions are possible. Cinnamon oil, however, is a different story. On the skin, it may cause redness and burning. Taken internally, it can cause nausea, vomiting and possibly even kidney damage. Don't ingest cinnamon oil.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:26 AM   #288
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luckyinluv
Stats: 189/172/160
WOE: Carb cycling
Quote:
Originally posted by lilroten
I've lost 4 lbs doing the cinnamon in 5 days. Since last night, I've had 5 people come up to me and comment about the amount of weight I've lost. These are people who see me every day. I think the cinnamon acting as a diuretic (sp) must have eliminated some puffiness because so many people have made comments last night and this morning.

Cinnamon... yummmmmm
Hi guys! I'm new to this board and have been enjoying reading all this cinnamon info!
I agree with lilroten, that it must have some diuretic effect because we all know that it takes 3500 cals to make a pound of fat and there's no way all the lbs coming off for some people is all fat. Realistically, there are obviously many benefits in implementing this delicious spice into our WOL's (I have been adding 1 tsp to mine for the last 2 days in 1/4 c ricotta, 1tbsp natty pb, 1/2tsp cocoa & splenda. Delish!!) but I am not going to set myself up for dissapointment if the weight doesn't magically disappear right away. Lets face it, as much as we want a magic bullet for weight loss it comes down to energy in and energy out. I would love it if the cinnamon helps with any water retention or puffiness though!! Glad to be here and I'll see you guys around!!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:01 AM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Well, the calorie is only a theory. And when your body is burning fat for energy, that theory goes out the window. So it is possible that the cinnamon is speeding up the metabolism and causing faster fat burning.

Check out the stats thread in the challenges area. Some people are continuing to lose 1/2 to a full pound a day, even after 2 weeks. If it was all water they would be all shriveled up.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:12 AM   #290
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aediekins

Check out the stats thread in the challenges area. Some people are continuing to lose 1/2 to a full pound a day, even after 2 weeks. If it was all water they would be all shriveled up.
<dropping the whole calorie debate>

Call me crazy but I just can't believe that cinnamon is responsible for eating thru a whole lb of fat in a day...don't get me wrong, I WANT to believe it but I'm not so sure that's what is happening....
The good thing is that people are happy, feel better and are losing some weight...the mind can be a very powerful tool as well!!
luckyinluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:22 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taslucas
Stats: Maintaining @ 120ish
WOE: Atkins/BFFM
Start Date: 11/03
Just wanted to post a tidbit I got froma chef friend of mine....Ground Cinnamon is only fresh for 6 months. After that, time for a new batch.
taslucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:25 AM   #292
Junior LCF Member

Thinking more about the possible diuretic effect...
When we lose weight the fat cells replace the lost fat for a time with water in case the fat storage space is needed again. (that's why it feels kind of "gooshy" just before a woosh) Maby those who have been losing the weight daily have been storing the water and the cinnamon is helping in some way to help purge the fat cells of this stored water. Just a little food for thought...
luckyinluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:12 AM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillieJo70Wyo
OK, I should have read all of these

before a stuck a tsp of cinnamon in my tea yesterday. Bleackeeyuk.
Today I measured out a tsp and then sprinkled a bit in my coffee - I wasn't crazy about that. but, I could put about half of it in my chocolate hot ricotta flax seed cereal and didn't even notice it. i sprinkled a little in my tuna salad I brought to work to snack on. I'm having soup for lunch - Creamy Bacon Mushroom Soup - and I think it could handle quite a bit more. Hmmmmm....Chicken for dinner, maybe a little. I might try a little in the coffee grounds tonight for in the a.m. TGIF btw. seriously. Love all the ideas.
BillieJo70Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 01:34 PM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
luckyinluv Thinking more about the possible diuretic effect...
and

Quote:
Call me crazy but I just can't believe that cinnamon is responsible for eating thru a whole lb of fat in a day...don't get me wrong, I WANT to believe it but I'm not so sure that's what is happening....
I do agree with the diuretic effect! I'm not arguing that... I've been with this thread from the beginning...and if you read my posts, I also said it's probably just water.

BUT, I do think the cinnamon is enhancing our metabolism beyond the water loss. And being as how no one has proven just how much fat is burned while eating low-carb, I think there is a good chance that it more than just a diuretic. It also helps keep blood sugar low, which can help us lose too.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:50 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gina425
Stats: 203/203/155
WOE: scarsdale now
Start Date: 2/12/07
well think about it....when your in ketosis it is possible to lose a pound a day or more.
gina425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nana Susie
Start Date: 8-2-08
Billie, to your coffee add: cinnamon, cream, and splenda or Davinci. I use vanilla. Yum!!
I really like putting cinnamon in my cream cheese with splenda and DaVinci vanilla.
Nana Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:32 PM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kayecat
Stats: 220/211/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: many times 9-1-97
Just a thought about mixing in the cinnamon. My son always adds a few drops of liquid to hot chocolate milk mix to make a paste. He then stirs in more liquid and doesn't have a problem with a lot of the chocolate left in the bottom of the cup at the end.
Maybe that would work with the cinnamon.
kayecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:16 PM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clairtique

I add one teaspoon of cinammon to my Atkin's Advantage shake in the morning...tastes great! I know some people say the shakes stall you during Induction, but I've never had a problem.

Try it!
clairtique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:29 PM   #299
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KaseyinTx
Stats: 155/120/125 goal met May 2001
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Feb 2001 Restart Jan 2010 at 165 :(
I've made french toast, okay french eggs, with cinnamon. I just scramble eggs with splenda and cinnamon and top it with sugar free syrup. I know it may sound bad but there are only so many ways to eat eggs and I was sick of every one of them!
KaseyinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:23 PM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beachgirl
Stats: Nunya
WOE: Paleo
Hmmm. Cinnamon, huh? Who woulda thunk it? Gonna have to try this starting tomorrow.
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote