Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
A Bowl of Lettuce Saved My Life!

I was just reading a thread and the debate got quite heated. I like to feel that this Board is my safe place to come.

I can agree to disagree. We can all be winners. We are all alike and yet different. I am very impressed with member roro. I will look for her posts. The board is a very valuable asset. I am in the Diabetic Type 2Bies Challenge as a regular poster.

How did lettuce save my life? A salad is a sandwich without the bread. The Earl of Sandwich was apparently someone who could tolerate carbs. I am diabetic and can't. I promise myself one large salad a day, but frequently have two. I eat two meals a day away from home and a salad, packed, is just the thing. I don't even have to refrigerate them unless it's the heat of summer.

I had always been disgusted by a bowl of lettuce. Now I can't believe the variety and wonderful taste combinations that are possible.

Salad lovers unite! Join me in my salute to the salad bowl.

Hope by now you have a big smile.

just the Dew

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DixieDreamer
Stats: 180/140/140
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 28, 2002
I rediscovered a good salad when I started eating low carb. The yucky salads I had grown accustomed to... were only that way because they did not have an abundance of items added - including cheeses, bacon, artichokes marinated in oil, and were not topped with a satisfying full fat dressing! Now I love a good salad.
DixieDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:46 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CindyLouWho
WOE: whole foods; gluten free
I love salad. Always have, until the 80's when the powers that be told me I had to give up my yummy salad dressing and pour that corn-syrup-filled "pseudo" dressing on it.

I love Dr. Atkins for letting me have my salads back. The way they should be with real dressing and even avocado slices. Yum!

Quote:
Salad lovers unite! Join me in my salute to the salad bowl. Hope by now you have a big smile.
CindyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tracey40
Stats: 163.5 / /130 5'6 48 yrs old
Start Date: Restarted for the last time 9/6/111
I love a good salad also. Eggs, cheese, bacon, great dressing!!!

What does everyone else put on their salads????

Tracey40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

quoting Henry Ford

Hey Cindy Lou,

I believe it was Henry Ford that said your quote. And look what he accomplished!

YGG!

just the Dew
Old 01-03-2004, 03:54 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: icbleu
Stats: 265/221/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/2003
Re: A Bowl of Lettuce Saved My Life!

Quote:
Originally posted by dewdrop_mealine
Salad lovers unite! Join me in my salute to the salad bowl.
Ahhhh, salads. They are a favorite holdover from my vegetarian days. I really really really like eating salads. I consider myself in quite excellent company
icbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
I now have a salad every night with dinner and I never did that before this WOE. My favorite meal is a ribeye steak with a veggie and salad then nexti would be a crustless quiche lorraine from the recipe room with a salad for dinner. I have even converted my husband to salads. YES!!
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bkramer947
WOE: As low carb as possible!
Start Date: DANDR on Aug. 11, '03
Salad lovers here, too. My 4 year old eats salad happily! (But not my 3 yo!)

I agree, with full fat dressing, salads are better than ever! Whenever I did WW, I ate less salad, ironically, because I hated the low calorie dressings!

When I am in a deep ketosis and really watching the carbs, my salad is like my sweet treat each nite! Sounds funny, but true!
bkramer947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:56 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Suzanne
Stats: 173/?/FST&FRM
WOE: Slow Carbs/Running!
Start Date: Restart post pregnancy Oct 16, 2004
Salad is my my drug of choice! I live 5 hours from the nearest "good lettuce store". You would laugh to see the coolers I pack with every head of good Romain I can find. Then we get home and my fridge is full of Romain. We eat salad day and night for a week, then back to frozen veggies until the next shopping trip. We do have veggie trucks that come by a few times a week, but good lettuce isn't a big thing in the Mexican diet. So I have a sign in front of my house/dive shop that says (in Spanish) "We buy lettuce!" Rarely a head gets buy us...LOL
Austin Marathon, Feb 2008, 5:55
Cancun 24th International Marathon (Half), Dec 6, 2008 2:31:07
Disney Half, Jan 10, 2009...too sick to run
Austin Marathon, Feb 15, 2009, 5:26
MCM, Washington DC, Oct 25, 2009, With Debbiedo!!!!!
Austin Marathon, Feb 14, 2010
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:05 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 3boys4me
Stats: 5'11" pants size...18/8/8
WOE: Atkins Maintenance, goal 10/04
Start Date: 10/10(3wk break)11/06/03
My favorite salad is the spring mix...baby greens. I love the bolder flavors of the greens, also much more tender.
3boys4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:07 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: baindegael
Stats: Highest 323-5'9" 230/182/150 BMI 27.08 Goal BMI 22
WOE: LC/LF, ditching processed crap
Start Date: 10/29/2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Tracey40
I love a good salad also. Eggs, cheese, bacon, great dressing!!!

What does everyone else put on their salads????

Eggs, bacon, mushrooms, brocolli, turkey pepperoni (I don't like how greasy reg pepperoni is) feta, with olive oil and vinegar! (I haven't met a vegetable I haven't liked yet, so I will throw in any veggie)
baindegael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by bkramer947
Whenever I did WW, I ate less salad, ironically, because I hated the low calorie dressings!

I laughed at this bc when I did WW most of the facilitators sd to use low fat dressing except for one. She said to use ranch and get that craving for high fat out of your system.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:14 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Avacados

Hmmm...I just got back from shopping. I got two small avacadoes. I haven't been thought about adding them to a salad! Duh! I guess I'll have a new treat for this week.

I had a turkey salad for lunch and an unTaco salad for dinner. unTaco is just sans the burrito shell. I allow myself a few refried beans. My son even joins me in a salad more than he did before.

What I call the stinky cheeses, are my favorites. It might have been the Cobb salad that started my obsession with green leafy veggies.

My favs: Bleu, Gorgonzola and Feta! I like to keep boiled eggs and bacon ready. It's like fast food if you have enough fixins' on hand.

I agree, the LF dressings just didn't cut it. The meat, cheese, and other proteins really make it a meal.

just the Dew
Old 01-03-2004, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by ThininMex
, but good lettuce isn't a big thing in the Mexican diet. LOL
I just got back from my ex husband's brother's house (They are from San Luis Potosi). They sd that I looked nice then tried to get me to eat everything with tostadas and tortillas. They couldn't understand that I was giving up carbs, so I said "I don't eat bread anymore" and my ex-SIL sd "That's ok, tortillas aren't bread." LOL God love her, but I didn't cheat!
Old 01-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: THINNER-2003
Stats: (2003)189.6/110/120-- (2009)190/142/120
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 2-26-03 --- 1-5-09
I have never liked salads much- not unless they had a bunch of stuff in them that were high in carbs, unhealthy really, etc. LOL (ie: taco salads with lotsa tortilla chips, etc.)

However, while the salads I have eaten and continue eating aren't my favorite thing in the world- they were/are so worth eating.
I've always liked vegetables- but not many RAW ones... including lettuce. I have found through trial and error that I prefer romaine over iceberg lettuce though.
THINNER-2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:09 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spice&life
Stats: 198/171/135
Start Date: 10/03
Great post! Here's my salad routine:

I buy 1 head of romaine lettuce, 1/2 head of red cabbage, 1 bunch radishes, 1 bunch green onions, 1 bunch cilantro, big bag of garden greens. I cut up everything and place it in a 2-gallon bag (I push all the air out, it stays fresh longer). This 2-gallon bag lasts about 3-4 days. We have salads for lunch and dinner. We top our salads with chicken or beef, tomatoes, marinated mushrooms, avacado, and olives. My DH likes ranch dressing, I like Girards light champagne.
spice&life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:28 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoMoreOreos
Stats: Size 16/ 6-8/Size4
WOE: Low Carb, based mostly on Atkins
Start Date: 6/28/02
ThininMex, how funny! I can just picture that sign outside your dive shop! Where in Mexico is QRoo?
NoMoreOreos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:30 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

large container to hold it all...

I have the very large old yellow tupperware bowl that will hold about three bags of greens. I also have the old tupperware cake-taker which when turned upside down will hold lots of salad fixings. I also have dug out my tupper celery keeper which works really well.

No, unfortunately, I am not a tupperware dealer. I do hear it sells pretty hot on eBay. My sis is the eBay queen of the family.

I am handicapped and lazy too. Salad is just like fast food as long as I do some prep work to have easy salads in waiting. I have those throw-away gladware bowls for transport. If I am really on the ball...I will fill the big yellow bowl - mix the greens with the unsinkable veggies. (I love zuchcinni and can't spell.) Then I fill the gladware with individual portions and have chopped baggies and containers of other toppings.

It's fun to think about how good I am being to myself as I throw my lunch together. I was a total carb addict. I wouldn't listen at the borderline diagnosis, nor the glucophage phase. Insulin dependence put the fear of carbs into me. It is also a good (gross) experience to go up to the Veterans Hospital and see the ulcers and lost limbs. (I go to the VA for health care.)

LCing now is going to save you from my fate. I have some permanent damage to my legs (nothing major TG). Read about diabetes. It is real and so many are headed this way. It'll scare you right into a LC life.

There are peeps that can eat carbs. If you are having success with diet, then chances are that you are insulin resistant. When a doctor first told me about insulin resistance, years ago - she also referred me to a vegetarian regime. Beware the experts. Listen to your body. There are at least a zillion opinions out there. And we all know what opinions are like - that would include mine!

What a country!
Hugs to all
just the Dew
Old 01-03-2004, 10:37 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoMoreOreos
Stats: Size 16/ 6-8/Size4
WOE: Low Carb, based mostly on Atkins
Start Date: 6/28/02
I WISH I had the old Tupperware! I've been fixing my greens and veggies and putting them in individual bags. They last for two or three days, and then I go thru the process all over again. For Xmas, I gave DH a Foodsaver. (Yes, he really did want one! He spent Chrismas day vacuum packing the entire house!) Maybe I'll try vacuum packing my veggies.
NoMoreOreos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:11 AM   #20

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
what a great post!!!
thank you for the compliment de

I love salads now. I hated salads on WW, because of the low fat dressings. anything lowfat just has this gross, artificial taste to it. lo-fat dairy products are not whole foods, they are processed to strip them of the healthiest part of them, the saturated fat. just like white carbs are stripped of the healthy part of the grain, just as unhealthy.
i usually just use the pre-made salads in the bag i am a busy person. i add mushrooms sometimes. i love my hidden valley ranch i make myself with mayo and cream. i also love marie's blue cheese or creamy italian garlic.
i make an awesome spinach salad with bacon, egg, feta, and hot bacon dressing with mushrooms.
roro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:27 AM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lulu1125
Start Date: Started June 15 2003, REstarted Sept 5 2003
My favorite "I can't believe this is a diet lunch" lunch is romaine and maybe some spring mix topped with 4 ounces of shaved roast beef with 1 quarter cup blue cheese and half an avocado cubed with Kraft Roma blue cheese dressing! My mouth is watering just thinking about it! My second favorite is same lettuce topped with half cup cubed chicken with quarted cup of crumbled bacon, half an avocado cubed with a dressing made with sesame oil. Oh - we have it so rough on this WOE - LOL.
lulu1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:40 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tedi
Stats: 217/189/130
Start Date: 11/17/03
NoMoreOreos: I also got a food saver for Christmas. I bought a huge bag of lettuce at Costco last Sunday, and here it is a week later and its still fresh enough to eat!

I had no idea how much I had missed the original Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, so many years of the low cal/no fat...blech!

Thanks for all the great ideas to add to my salads, I've been enjoying them plain until now.
tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:45 AM   #23

Gallery: yarncat
WOE: Maintaining on Low Carb
Salads now are much better with full-fat dressing,real bacon bits,olives and the other goodies I get to add that I couldn't have doing low fat/low cal.I have 2 a day,hubby has 1.
I never tried fresh spinach leaves before this WOL.I never knew I was missing something so yummy!
yarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:23 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wils
Start Date: Dec 2002
I've often thought, no wonder people don't like salad if what they use is iceberg lettuce, some marketing type person's idea of what lettuce should be. Created simply to ensure that it would ship and keep, prevous to air freight. It is so tasteless and mostly water, Yuk! I have also always loved salads, but with interesting things in them the same as all of you. A co worker keeps asking me how I can eat salad every day. Answer: Easily!!
P.S. I also love baby spinach in my salad, with mushrooms and hard boiled egg and bacon bits and mayo. Wonderful.
size 12 pants, yipeee!

Last edited by wils; 01-04-2004 at 10:25 AM..
wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:25 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Hot Spinach Salad

Ms. roro I am definitely impressed now. Hot spinach salad is heavenly. Maybe I should adopt you. Look about the same age as my kids. Maybe younger!

My stepmom told me that eating canned collard greens was for the birds, try the fresh stuff. I fixed it much like hot spinach salad. Oh yes! I think the canned greens may go to the food bank.

That's important too you know. I give to the food bank at my union. I see lots of junk among the donations. I make sure I give tuna, sardines and healthy veggies. Heck those peeps have enough problems They at least get a little good nutrition.

Too bad that our food bank can't deal with produce. I think some do.

I'm going to have one heck of a salad for lunch today! So many ideas, so many meals to eat . . . wowzer!

just the Dew
Old 01-04-2004, 01:57 PM   #26

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
Re: Hot Spinach Salad

Quote:
Originally posted by dewdrop_mealine
Ms. roro I am definitely impressed now. Hot spinach salad is heavenly. Maybe I should adopt you. Look about the same age as my kids. Maybe younger!
nope! I will be 40 this year!
I attribute my younger looks to all the fat I am eating. I looked ten years older on my old low-fat diet. You ever notice people on low fat just look OLD, wrinkled, and dried out?

I went to a skin-care party a few weeks ago, and was watching all these people trying to look younger by putting stuff ON their face. I told them that its more important what you put into your body. health comes from the inside out, not the other way around.
roro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #27
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SpicyBC
Stats: obese/overweight/healthy
Start Date: 1/10/03 (for the last time!)
Hurray for salad! I'm a salad junkie too! I eat salad JUST so i can enjoy the various dressings out there---I'm quite the blue cheese and caesar snob too

I too never enjoyed eating salads on a low-fat diet---I'm gagging now just thinking back to the nasty fat free dressings my mother used to get for me.

(Does anyone remember that Richard Simmons salad dressing "spray" he once had?----uughh, I used to eat a bowl of iceburg lettuce and fat free American cheese with that "spray" on it.)

THANK GOD FOR FULL FAT DRESSING!! I love you, Robert Atkins!!

Downstairs: size 22/16!/10
Upstairs: size 20/14/10
"Slow and steady..."
SpicyBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:32 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StanMan
WOE: Atkins - The One and Only
Start Date: 8/4/08
I love the spring greens mix I get at costco. sometimes I top it with crushed almonds... gives it a nice crunch. I like to put a ham and cheese roll-up on top and slice it up, sort of like a chef salad. And my favorite salad dressing is Hidden Valley Ranch...the best!
StanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:41 PM   #29
sweet_suzy53

Gallery: sweet_suzy53
salads!

I love salads! I am lucky in that area.Will eat most anything on them except mushrooms. would like to know how RORO makes her spinach salad dressing. is it a secret? or will you share??
Old 01-04-2004, 03:02 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: teachmid
Stats: 227/224/175
Start Date: 4/1/05 (restarted)
Good thread.

I'm not much of a salad eater, but all these suggestions sound really good. When I eat salad for lunch I seem to get hungrier sooner. Maybe I need to add more protein.

Gail
teachmid is offline   Reply With Quote