Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2003, 09:15 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 159
Gallery: low-carb-dad
eating breaded fish,chicken and losing? How?

I have a friend that is "low carbing" and he is eating breaded chicken fingers, breaded fish almost every day. He has lost a total of 48 pounds since Feb.

How the temp of the oil reduce any of the carbs in the breading?



Does anyone else eat this taboo foods and loose?
low-carb-dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2003, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 159
Gallery: low-carb-dad
oppps! Does the temp not how!

Does the Temperature of the cooking oil reduce any carbs?
low-carb-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:17 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!
 
shellpurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SE Qld, Australia
Posts: 16,293
Gallery: shellpurr
Stats: blah
WOE: ?
Start Date: tomorrow!
well there is a differences between low carbing and atkins. I have a friend who probably eats 100 carbs per day at least, which is still lower than the normal diet. She drinks beer, eats mozzorella sticks, and breaded chicken. You can do it, you just lose slower.
shellpurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:20 AM   #4
Calgon, take me away
 
Posts: n/a
Don't forget, many men lose easily. And, if he's got a lot of weight to lose, that helps, too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 159
Gallery: low-carb-dad
bump!
low-carb-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:33 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!
 
TaDa!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,291
Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
If oil reduced carbs we'd all be in hog heaven! LOL! LOL!!

I just looked up a few fried items in ****** for you:

Batter Fried Fish Amount Per 1 fillet (6-1/4" x 3-1/2" x 3/8")
total carbs: 8.99g fiber carbs: 0.297g
(don't get oo excited by the numbers that is a very very small piece of fish!)

Batter Fried Chicken
total carbs: 25.17g fiber carbs: 0.84g
(that's a boneless chicken breast batter fried)

hth!

Last edited by TaDa!; 09-12-2003 at 09:34 AM..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
tiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UP, Michigan
Posts: 2,932
Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
If you're jealous, try breading with almond flour or parmesan cheese. Both work nearly as well as flour or cornmeal, and they're very low in carbs. But if you want breaded food when you're out at a restaurant, pulling off the breading is one (frustrating and not very effective) choice.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: the beautiful north shore of Lake Superior
Posts: 250
Gallery: max'smom
Stats: 148.5/148.5/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: new start: 07/12/06
eating breaded fish, chicken

I am one that has had a hard time getting past the idea of and the smell of pork rinds. However today I tried breading chicken with finely crushed pork rinds with salt and paprika added. It was delicious. Very good, I never would have believed it untill I tried it.
max'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
abbyalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 585
Gallery: abbyalex
Protein Power allows 7-10g of carbs per meal on induction (they call it intervention) and the carbs can come from any source. Athough they do advise against eating starchy carbs very often or in large quantities, they are not forbidden. That plan is more about eating a certain amount of protein grams per day based on your lean muscle mass.
abbyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:18 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
AttachedToFour's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 717
Gallery: AttachedToFour
Stats: 5' 4" (preg 255) 237.5/207/140
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: Start 4/03 Restart after pregnancies 7/9/07
I have a friend who did "Atkins" but it was more low carb really. When she ordered a burger from Burger King (daily) she would take off the top bun and just eat the bottom bun. She also ate the ketchup, etc. She lost 60 pounds but it took her 18 months.
AttachedToFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:27 AM   #11
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery:
Many people lose on higher carbs. This is the design of Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Richard Simmons, Nutri-Systems.

If your carbs are high enough, then it becomes a calorie game instead.

As I've said before, someone could be following Atkins induction (original Atkins, not the new 'junk' one), eat a Milky Way every day (45 carbs) and still lose.

Depends on how your metabolism works, your insulin resistance, your goals, your expectations for weight loss.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:35 AM   #12
NicoleDR
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery: NicoleDR
I've been doing the pork rind breading on chicken for a while, and I really like it, but I'm not crazy about the flavor. I tried adding 1 1/4 tsp ranch salad dressing mix per 1/4 c of pork rinds (this is enough to bread 1/2 chicken breast) and the pork rind taste is totally gone. It does add carbs, so I don't eat it this way often--maybe twice a month. It's still lower than eating flour breading.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:46 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
HippyHipster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Poquoson, VA
Posts: 3,381
Gallery: HippyHipster
Stats: 275/185
WOE: Adkins/South Beach
Start Date: 8/12/03
Quote:
Originally posted by Kimmer

As I've said before, someone could be following Atkins induction (original Atkins, not the new 'junk' one), eat a Milky Way every day (45 carbs) and still lose.

Kimmer: A newbie here. Would you mind explaining what you mean by "the new "junk" one? Are you refering to DANDR? Where can I find the "Original Atkins" plan?

Thanks.
HippyHipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:56 AM   #14
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery:
Hippy, the original 1972 DANDR is much different than the current one. The 'junk' they now allow is LC bars and 30+ other 'net carb' foods that Atkins sells. It bears no resemblance to the original plan.

Hmmm, you might have to go to www.amazon.com to find an old copy, or maybe your library?

The original plan focused on protein and the fat it contained, limited veggies (during induction) w/o fiber subtraction. IMO, this was the plan Dr. A has in mind when he says Atkins will give faster results than even even total fasting (I'm not sure I believe it, but it sure ain't happening with all the new stuff they're allowing!)

FYI, the lastest DANDRs and the Atkins website are written primarily by Atkins staff, not Dr. A (even before he died). Hence, the change in program.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:50 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
Bearson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 305
Gallery: Bearson
Stats: 195/125/140
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 7/9/03
Maybe your friend is using lo-carb bread crumbs.
Bearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 01:55 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 159
Gallery: low-carb-dad
NO! He is going to the local cafe.. last night he ate 9 pieces of breaded fish and coleslaw...
low-carb-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 07:45 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member
 
ga_kimmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 704
Gallery: ga_kimmie
Stats: 181/146/120
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: August 12, 2009
I eat breaded chicken wings, breaded shrimp and fried chicken with breading. I keep my carbs at around 100 per day and still lose (though much slower than when I was at around 30 grams per day). I also keep a moderate exercise/activity level which helps with the weight loss. I think it all depends on your body...
ga_kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:14 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
WannaCaboBody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Alaska
Posts: 640
Gallery: WannaCaboBody
Stats: 198.8/192.8/r1 goal 160/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: 7/25/12
I was at a chinese restaraunt and it was a business lunch so I was trying to be....normal It was an interview lunch so I was already being judged, anyways, I wound up eating breaded shrimp, the carbs were surprisingly low and I stayed in ketosis. I"m not brave enough to try that on a regular basis, but I thinkk the other posters are right, men lose easier and if he has a lot to lose, it's going to come off quicker, at least in the beginning.
WannaCaboBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:26 PM   #19
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
mommedawne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The recesses of your subconscious.
Posts: 5,097
Gallery: mommedawne
Stats: Bigger than I ought to be, smaller than I was.
WOE: Drastically reduced carbs.
Quote:
I've been doing the pork rind breading on chicken for a while, and I really like it, but I'm not crazy about the flavor. I tried adding 1 1/4 tsp ranch salad dressing mix per 1/4 c of pork rinds (this is enough to bread 1/2 chicken breast) and the pork rind taste is totally gone. It does add carbs, so I don't eat it this way often--maybe twice a month. It's still lower than eating flour breading.
Oh, that's a good idea, thanks for sharing it.
mommedawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Gallery: MamaMcGreevy
Low Carb "Cheating"

I stayed away from low carb diets for years simply because I couldn't deal with the abrupt switch. Between the fact that my family was NOT going low carb with me and the horrible headaches, I was too miserable to care about my weight and headed to the nearest convenience store for a Goody's powder and Coke Classic.

A friend suggested I try just lowering my carbs to 100g/day, as the creator of the FatHead movie demonstrated that cutting to that level still had a dramatic impact on his own blood lipid profile. 100g is VERY easy to stick to, I didn't have to think about what to eat or not NEARLY as much as I had to with any other diet that I've tried (and this REALLY helps - the more I can think of things other than my menu, the less I will want to eat). I could have a small glass of Coca Cola on any given day if I kept all my other fruits & veggies super-low carb. I could have bread on occasion, my favorite being an open face grilled cheese (I finish off the top in the broiler and make sure lots of the cheese bubbles off the sides - it "costs" me 8 net carbs).

The best thing about this approach is that, although I lost weight slowly(about 1 pound a week), I started losing my bloated belly immediately. I stopped feeling like i needed a mid-afternoon nap in just a few days. And for the first time in years, I wasn't hungry all the time.

I am now moving my carb count down to about 60 or 70, to increase the pace of my weight loss, but it won't even be a minor challenge. Just lowering my carb count to 100 for the first month or so was enough to allow me to "reset" my appetite and get used to a new way of eating.

I HIGHLY recommend that if someone wants to go low-carb, but finds the induction phase to be to grueling, to try the 100-carb mark first, and see if they experience the same results.
MamaMcGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!
 
CurlsNCuffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11,456
Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
WOW - an OLD OLD OLD THREAD! I love when they come back - 2003! Memories
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
kimlou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,337
Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMcGreevy View Post
I stayed away from low carb diets for years simply because I couldn't deal with the abrupt switch. Between the fact that my family was NOT going low carb with me and the horrible headaches, I was too miserable to care about my weight and headed to the nearest convenience store for a Goody's powder and Coke Classic.

A friend suggested I try just lowering my carbs to 100g/day, as the creator of the FatHead movie demonstrated that cutting to that level still had a dramatic impact on his own blood lipid profile. 100g is VERY easy to stick to, I didn't have to think about what to eat or not NEARLY as much as I had to with any other diet that I've tried (and this REALLY helps - the more I can think of things other than my menu, the less I will want to eat). I could have a small glass of Coca Cola on any given day if I kept all my other fruits & veggies super-low carb. I could have bread on occasion, my favorite being an open face grilled cheese (I finish off the top in the broiler and make sure lots of the cheese bubbles off the sides - it "costs" me 8 net carbs).

The best thing about this approach is that, although I lost weight slowly(about 1 pound a week), I started losing my bloated belly immediately. I stopped feeling like i needed a mid-afternoon nap in just a few days. And for the first time in years, I wasn't hungry all the time.

I am now moving my carb count down to about 60 or 70, to increase the pace of my weight loss, but it won't even be a minor challenge. Just lowering my carb count to 100 for the first month or so was enough to allow me to "reset" my appetite and get used to a new way of eating.

I HIGHLY recommend that if someone wants to go low-carb, but finds the induction phase to be to grueling, to try the 100-carb mark first, and see if they experience the same results.




You are headed in the right direction. Do what is best for you.
For me I have to start with about 20 and work my way up That works for me.
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member
 
LynnMinmay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 207
Gallery: LynnMinmay
Stats: 202/182/115
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Sept. 2010
As a fairly new member, it gets me excited to see posts that Heidi Diaz has posted in. It's like a piece of history... looking back to when she was duping people that trusted her... kind of sends shivers down my spine!
LynnMinmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,057
Gallery: Ilpirata
hmn... does anyone notice that Kimmer's username and old avi are gone and she now shows as GUEST? I wonder if this is to stop searches for her old threads?

FASCINATING.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
kimlou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,337
Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
hmn... does anyone notice that Kimmer's username and old avi are gone and she now shows as GUEST? I wonder if this is to stop searches for her old threads?

FASCINATING.
I saw that !
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member
 
HSingARMYmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, KS
Posts: 459
Gallery: HSingARMYmom
WOE: LC - my own way
Start Date: 1/1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by low-carb-dad View Post
I have a friend that is "low carbing" and he is eating breaded chicken fingers, breaded fish almost every day. He has lost a total of 48 pounds since Feb.

How the temp of the oil reduce any of the carbs in the breading?

Does anyone else eat this taboo foods and loose?
I definately think there are different definations of "low carb" - my husband likes it that i'm low carbing because he's a carnivore at heart but he cheats almost daily and still loses weight. Men.... ughh! Anyway, he "low carbs" by cutting out visible "white foods" (bread, pasta, potatoes, rice & sugar) but doesn't worry about breading or sauces - ie. hidden carbs. Different people have different carb thresh-holds - I guess your friend is just lucky (wish I was!!!).

BTW: I don't think the temp of the oil would do much but if his stuff is being fried in a low temp, a lot more would be being absorbed into the breading. According to South Beach, fat does help slow the insulin response to carbs, so maybe that's what happening. I don't know but just an idea.
__________________
*~*Min*~*
Proud ARMY Wife and Homeschooling Mom of 3!
Smoke Free since 4/26/09
HSingARMYmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nicashel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Neon Jungle
Posts: 3,594
Gallery: Nicashel
Stats: 263/196.6/150 5'7"
WOE: Straight Low Carb
Whoa. What a fascinating old thread. It is like a peek into a LC class reunion! Love it. Creepy & cool at the same time.

Welcome MamaMc.
Nicashel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
cookie34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lake Elsinore, Ca
Posts: 3,907
Gallery: cookie34
Stats: 273/186/150
WOE: VSG/Low Carb
Start Date: 5/20/2012
How do you know that the "guest" is Kimmer?
cookie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #29
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 4,322
Gallery: skeopple
Stats: (350+)336/259/159
WOE: Low Carb, forever
Start Date: 1/14/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by babychingling View Post
As a fairly new member, it gets me excited to see posts that Heidi Diaz has posted in. It's like a piece of history... looking back to when she was duping people that trusted her... kind of sends shivers down my spine!
Did ya see her stats? Did ya see she spelled 'Adkins'?
Scared me until I looked at the date it was posted!!!!!!!! I thought, naw. Whew......
skeopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member
 
zerotolow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philadelphia and New Jersey
Posts: 524
Gallery: zerotolow
Stats: 276/215/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: First Start 2001, New Start 1-08-08
I'm glad this question came up.

I've done Atkins about 3 times. During one of those times I'd eat a 3 piece order of chicken strips from Jack In The Box frequently. I'd ask for them well done. At first I'd test with ketostixs to make sure this was alright. I never had a change in color from it and I lost a great deal of weight.

I wish I was a biology engineer so I could test the carb quantity in breading before and after it was fried to know if there was a change. It's always made me wonder.

I don't tempt fate with fried foods anymore. I guess there have been a couple of times where some hot wings at some unfamiliar diner turned out to be breaded and I just picked off what I could. I have lost a great deal of weight despite that happening from time to time.

I think Dr. Atkins may have mentioned that if sweet sauces such as you'd find on Chinese BBQ pork are broiled well, it's not so bad. That's something I used to hear my mom say back in the 70s though, so don't quote me on it.
__________________
My Before and Half Way photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38144998@N04/show/
zerotolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.