Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2003, 04:01 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Browneyedgurl
I've developed an allergy to eggs!

Let me start by saying I have food allergies and when I eat something I'm allergic to, I get a terrible stomach ache, then I break out into hives and have a full blown reaction.

I've never been allergic to eggs. But, for the past 2 months or so, whenever I eat eggs, I get that terrible stomach ache for about 45 minutes to an hour. I don't break out into hives or anything, but the stomach ache is horrible. At first I thought I had a bad container of eggs. But, it has happened several times. I've found the only way I can eat eggs now is if they are cut up in a salad, or a small amount with a meal. I can't eat them on an empty stomach at all.

This is cramping my diet. I'm getting just a small portion of eggs each week. Its just so strange that this has started. I used to eat eggs with no problem at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2003, 04:56 AM   #2
Katiana

Gallery: Katiana
People can get allergies at any time to any thing. It stinks but you never know.

In Dr. Atkins book, he states that people are often allergic or intolerant to things they eat the most. For example, many Asians are actually intolerant to rice.

Perhaps you always had this allergy but had not eating eggs in that quantity. Now, you ate them to the point your body had a immunological response to the eggs and is now really sensitive.

POOR YOU!
Old 09-09-2003, 05:32 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AprilW
Stats: 175/117/120 GOAL!!!! 5'4 36 yrs. old
WOE: Atkin's
Start Date: Oct. 2007
I have the same problem

I have ate eggs all my life, but somewhere around 21, everytime I would eat them I would get a horrible stomach ache! so bad that I would have to go lay down with a heating pad. Now, I just stay away from them which kind of limits my breakfast ideas. usually now I eat leftovers from dinner.
AprilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:30 AM   #4
Alliekat

Gallery: Alliekat
your not the only one

I too suffer from that terrible pain after I eat eggs.. I feel as if something or someone is ripping my stomach out.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:54 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sneeezy
you may be allergic to the "whites",
but not the "yellow".
try eating only the yolk, and see what happens...
sneeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AprilW
Stats: 175/117/120 GOAL!!!! 5'4 36 yrs. old
WOE: Atkin's
Start Date: Oct. 2007
sneezy, I will have to try that but I will do it when I don't have to go anywhere or do anything. The pain knocks me out of commission. It is worse than monthly pain!
AprilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:38 AM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: iteachrebs
Stats: +25/-0/Goal!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2003
Same thing happened to me. If I want to have eggs now, I take Zantac before I eat. This is a rare thing but DH makes a killer omelet, so I take the Zantac and endulge. There's still some discomfort but it's greatly diminished.
iteachrebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:16 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: gettingstrength
Stats: 184 / 170 / ?
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 6 / 1 / 2002
gettingstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:57 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
I had SEVERE egg white allergy as a child. So bad, my parents couldn't even bring an egg into our house. (Combine that with chronic asthma, and you get the picture--lots of trips to the ER)

Anyway, my allergy docs have my records back to when I was 10 months old, and it's amazing how the allergic reactions "ebb and flow," so to speak. They say they come in 7-year cycles, too, which is interesting to watch, and some disappear completely for no reason. STrange. While I still have terrible trouble with peanuts (not life-threatening any longer, thank goodness), I HAVE gradually been able to eat limited portions of many foods which would otherwise have put me in the hospital, like egg white, fish (all types), pineapple, rice, sweet potatoes.

I, too, can't handle straight eggs, particularly in the morning, but I AM able to eat them cooked into other things. Custard, LC cheesecake, CJ's breakfast pudding, even quiche don't seem to bother me. It's the egg alone that seems to trigger the trouble.

Just be careful and take it slow at first. Like April said, you might need to stick with leftovers, yogurt or something safe for a while. Then you might be able to add egg cooked into something else here and there.

AFter all, some people NEVER eat eggs and do fine on this WOE.
It's irritating and weird, especially after having no trouble with them at all, but you can't mess around with allergies. Anaphylactic shock is NOT fun!!!
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:02 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Ladidah
I'm not allergic, but I haven't eaten an egg since I was on induction. I ate so many on induction that I can't even think about eating one now. So they are not absolutely necessary to eat. Do a search on "breakfast" here and you'll find many alternatives to eating eggs for breakfast, if that's what you are worried about.
Ladidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:08 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Candid
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2002
I'm not glad that you have stomach problems, but I am glad to know I'm not the only person that has this problem. Breakfast has been the most difficult meal to adjust for me. I finally came up with what I call birdseed. Sunflower seeds, golden flaxseeds, sliced almonds, wheat germ and unsweetened coconut flakes, and 1 T of whey protein isolate powder, 99% lactose free.
Candid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:35 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Browneyedgurl
Thanks for all the replies

My food allergies were horrible when I was a teen. I have been tested twice and while they can determine what foods I am allergic to, they can't determine when I'll have an allergic reaction. The reaction comes from eating combinations of foods. Its weird. I was having reactions on the average of twice a month. I can't tell you how many times I ended up in the ER, covered in welts, with my air passages swelling and closing. Those reactions always began with a terrible stomach ache. Its the exact same ache I get after eating eggs, but like I stated before, I never break out in welts or hives from them. I thought I had pretty much outgrew my allergic reactions. I haven't had one in about 2 years, and it was at least a year before that when I had the previous one.

Oh well, I will definitely be sticking to small doses of eggs from now on.
Browneyedgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:19 PM   #13

Gallery:
Quote:
I, too, can't handle straight eggs, particularly in the morning, but I AM able to eat them cooked into other things. Custard, LC cheesecake, CJ's breakfast pudding, even quiche don't seem to bother me. It's the egg alone that seems to trigger the trouble.
I am EXACTLY the same way! My throat gets really tight and uncomfortable. But just when I eat eggs alone.

Weird.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:54 PM   #14

Gallery:
I posted about this several months ago. The allergist swears that I am allergic to eggs. I was doing fine, then all of a sudden I was having all the symptons of everyone here.
I can eat whatever I want with eggs in it, just not plain eggs on a empty stomach. Whites, yolks, whole eggs. Cant do it. I get a stomach ache, cramping, bloating, gas, etc........

I am now eating my eggs in salads, and scrambled with bacon and cream cheese.
Im not allergic, but for whatever reason, eggs alone, I have an intolerance.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:34 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Patty N
WOE: Lower carbs/lower fat
Start Date: Began low carbing in June 1999
It used to be that I would get a belly ache and feel kind of nauseous from eating eggs alone, especially on an empty stomach. Then I discovered Omega-3 eggs, e.g., Eggland's Best, and can now eat those with no problems whatsoever -- no more tummy aches! The hens are fed flax, so maybe that is the key right there. They are more costly than regular eggs, but are worth it, IMO!!
Patty N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:40 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Allergies can produce VERY strange symptoms and such a variety of responses. When I was a small child, there were only three foods I could keep down: green beans, pineapple and rice. When they did my allergy tests, what fell in line right behind egg white and peanuts?? Green beans, pineapple and rice!! I was VERY allergic to all of them, yet those three were the only foods that didn't come right back up!! And rice is supposed to be on of the very least allergic foods in the world (hence, the big lamb & rice craze in pet foods--supposedly they're both "benign" sorts of food).

Just be careful browneyedgurl....that's the main thing! We don't want to hear a sad tale about you having an allergic reaction down the road!!
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wndpotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyedgurl View Post
Let me start by saying I have food allergies and when I eat something I'm allergic to, I get a terrible stomach ache, then I break out into hives and have a full blown reaction.

I've never been allergic to eggs. But, for the past 2 months or so, whenever I eat eggs, I get that terrible stomach ache for about 45 minutes to an hour. I don't break out into hives or anything, but the stomach ache is horrible. At first I thought I had a bad container of eggs. But, it has happened several times. I've found the only way I can eat eggs now is if they are cut up in a salad, or a small amount with a meal. I can't eat them on an empty stomach at all.

This is cramping my diet. I'm getting just a small portion of eggs each week. Its just so strange that this has started. I used to eat eggs with no problem at all.
My name is wanda. I too have the exact same egg problem. I went to an allergy doctor and I am severely allergic to eggs. It started after I had my son. I had no problem at all until now. I discovered that I am allergic to the omega 3. The stomach pain you get, I also get. You can't even describe it. It is HORRIBLE! I do have an epi-pen for this. The doc said " no more experiments it is dangerous" I would love to talk to you about this. I do hope that you reply because I am in the same boat.
wndpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wndpotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliekat View Post
I too suffer from that terrible pain after I eat eggs.. I feel as if something or someone is ripping my stomach out.
I totally get you. You feel like you are going to die. I am allergic to egg white, yolks, and omega 3.
wndpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carrollkay
Stats: 242/215/170 5'10"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Sept 01, 2008
Me too it's driving me crazy I love eggs and I am deathly sick from them for about 2 months now.
Lisa
Carrollkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2Mayhem
Stats: SW 274.9 / CW 263.3 / GW 160.0
WOE: LCHF + BPC
Start Date: 01/02/2014
Quote:

I also get those stomache aches and have realized I cannot eat alot of eggs continuously. I can eat them occasionally, but if I eat more, oooh, my tummy. In the past, I had worried that my gall bladder was acting up, but it is not the fat, it was the eggs hurting my tummy.
Mom2Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katie914
Stats: 155/135
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: 08/31/08
sometimes u can minimize or eliminate a food allergy as long as u mix it with other food...HOWEVER do that at ur OWN RISK!!! :-)
Katie914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahoy Polloi
I felt I had to post to this forum after experiencing the same sudden intolerance to eating eggs then typing "sudden intolerance to eggs" into Google, not really thinking I'd find a list of people who'd experienced the same bizarre turn of events. I had been living in China for four months (eating eggs all along), and when I returned to the US, I suddenly had terrible stomach pain after eating eggs (usually as breakfast). I'll have to try some of the suggestions made here and report back as to what works.
Ahoy Polloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
Wow. 2003 to 2008 to 2010. Wonder if we'll see this thread in 2012?
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: razorbackmama
Stats: 208/162/145 5'7.5"
WOE: WW for first 33#, Protein Power-like
Start Date: March 2010
Count me in as well. In fact, I found this thread by googling "stomach cramps eat eggs." I had scrambled eggs and pancakes for supper (not LCing right now, though I have in the past ) and now have this sort of generic gnawing pain just below my ribs. The last 2 times I've eaten eggs I've gotten the same thing.

It's been going on on and off for about a year, but I've never been able to put it together with anything like this. It started during my last pregnancy. I can eat things with eggs as an ingredient with no problem.

The only allergies I have are to novocaine, lidocaine, and sulfa drugs - I have no environmental or food allergies. So this is all very new to me!

It's sort of a gnawing pain, almost like I need a Tums or something. :blush: But no matter how much I take, it doesn't help at all.
razorbackmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sassy_red
Stats: 230/192.2/145 - 5'8"
WOE: HCG/Simeon's Protocol
Start Date: 23 July '10 (R1P2) ~ 7 Sep '10 (R2P2)
I've noticed recently that whenever I ear eggs too I get stomach pains (mainly HB eggs) but I NEVER attributed it to an egg allergy! It's funny because I'm waiting for some HB eggs to cool so I can make egg salad. Thing is, I don't seem to have a problem unless it's pure eggs; cut it with oil (scrambled) or some other fat (egg salad, devilled/stuff etc) and I feel fine.

Now I'm going to have to try it out and experiment, but it'll be tough if I AM allergic to eggs, they're the cheapest form of protein on the market and a huge staple of my current diet.

R1P2 * Pre-load: 218.2 lbs ~ LDW: 204.0 - 14.2lbs lost!!
R2P2 * Previous LDW: 204 ~ LDW: 192.2 - 11.8lbs lost!!

2010 Goal: 180 by Christmas!
sassy_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #26
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Sorry.

I've never had any kind of an allergy.
It sounds quite unpleasant.
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #27

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
If you've been a big eater of chicken eggs for years, I expect you have developed a sensitivity. Maybe not a full-blown allergy yet, hopefully.

When we are advised to eat a 'varied' diet, it's probably all for the good. If we were wild humans, I don't expect we would have access to fresh laid eggs every day and season of the year. (I always just try to think of how Mother Nature would have designed us to eat. LOL )

Maybe just try to lay off the eggs for several months and then start them in very slowly again and see if it went away?

I was sensitive to eggs years ago for quite awhile. After breakfast I'd have such a gut ache!!! Stomach pain would double me over. I gave up on eggs for a long, long time. Now I average about one egg per day. Some days not at all, and some days a couple.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
Quote:

My husband developed this a few years ago, too - and it has been really tough on him, since he LOVES them.

It is odd - he can eat them IN things - like baked goods - even custards and things like that. But not on their own without getting the horrible stomach ache you mentioned.

As someone else mentioned, a food allergy can crop up at any time - but it still stinks. Sorry to hear you are going through this.
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
After about 3 years on Atkins, I developed a sensitivity to eggs, too. I had the terrible stomach cramps and it took awhile for me to figure out what was causing it. I read that one can develop an allergy at any time, and it was common to be allergic to the proteins in egg whites. I stopped eating eggs for about a year and a half, then tried them again. I was able to resume eating them, slowly, and now I don't have any trouble eating them.
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #30

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahoy Polloi View Post
I felt I had to post to this forum after experiencing the same sudden intolerance to eating eggs then typing "sudden intolerance to eggs" into Google, not really thinking I'd find a list of people who'd experienced the same bizarre turn of events. I had been living in China for four months (eating eggs all along), and when I returned to the US, I suddenly had terrible stomach pain after eating eggs (usually as breakfast). I'll have to try some of the suggestions made here and report back as to what works.
Says something about the American food system.

You might try organic farm fresh eggs. Provocative food testing is always the best way to go.

If one is just beginning, many times healing of the gut with proper increase in bacteria is helpful.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote