Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I've developed an allergy to eggs! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/145666-ive-developed-allergy-eggs.html)

Browneyedgurl 09-09-2003 04:01 AM

I've developed an allergy to eggs!

Let me start by saying I have food allergies and when I eat something I'm allergic to, I get a terrible stomach ache, then I break out into hives and have a full blown reaction.

I've never been allergic to eggs. But, for the past 2 months or so, whenever I eat eggs, I get that terrible stomach ache for about 45 minutes to an hour. I don't break out into hives or anything, but the stomach ache is horrible. At first I thought I had a bad container of eggs. But, it has happened several times. I've found the only way I can eat eggs now is if they are cut up in a salad, or a small amount with a meal. I can't eat them on an empty stomach at all.

This is cramping my diet. I'm getting just a small portion of eggs each week. Its just so strange that this has started. I used to eat eggs with no problem at all. :mad:

Katiana 09-09-2003 04:56 AM

People can get allergies at any time to any thing. It stinks but you never know.

In Dr. Atkins book, he states that people are often allergic or intolerant to things they eat the most. For example, many Asians are actually intolerant to rice.

Perhaps you always had this allergy but had not eating eggs in that quantity. Now, you ate them to the point your body had a immunological response to the eggs and is now really sensitive.

POOR YOU!

AprilW 09-09-2003 05:32 AM

I have the same problem

I have ate eggs all my life, but somewhere around 21, everytime I would eat them I would get a horrible stomach ache! so bad that I would have to go lay down with a heating pad. Now, I just stay away from them which kind of limits my breakfast ideas.:( usually now I eat leftovers from dinner.

Alliekat 09-09-2003 06:30 AM

your not the only one

I too suffer from that terrible pain after I eat eggs.. I feel as if something or someone is ripping my stomach out.

sneeezy 09-09-2003 07:54 AM

you may be allergic to the "whites",
but not the "yellow".
try eating only the yolk, and see what happens...

AprilW 09-09-2003 08:21 AM

sneezy, I will have to try that but I will do it when I don't have to go anywhere or do anything. The pain knocks me out of commission. It is worse than monthly pain!:eek:

iteachrebs 09-09-2003 08:38 AM

Same thing happened to me. If I want to have eggs now, I take Zantac before I eat. This is a rare thing but DH makes a killer omelet, so I take the Zantac and endulge. There's still some discomfort but it's greatly diminished.

gettingstrength 09-09-2003 09:16 AM

:(

SHinOK 09-09-2003 10:57 AM

I had SEVERE egg white allergy as a child. So bad, my parents couldn't even bring an egg into our house. (Combine that with chronic asthma, and you get the picture--lots of trips to the ER)

Anyway, my allergy docs have my records back to when I was 10 months old, and it's amazing how the allergic reactions "ebb and flow," so to speak. They say they come in 7-year cycles, too, which is interesting to watch, and some disappear completely for no reason. STrange. While I still have terrible trouble with peanuts (not life-threatening any longer, thank goodness), I HAVE gradually been able to eat limited portions of many foods which would otherwise have put me in the hospital, like egg white, fish (all types), pineapple, rice, sweet potatoes.

I, too, can't handle straight eggs, particularly in the morning, but I AM able to eat them cooked into other things. Custard, LC cheesecake, CJ's breakfast pudding, even quiche don't seem to bother me. It's the egg alone that seems to trigger the trouble.

Just be careful and take it slow at first. Like April said, you might need to stick with leftovers, yogurt or something safe for a while. Then you might be able to add egg cooked into something else here and there.

AFter all, some people NEVER eat eggs and do fine on this WOE.
It's irritating and weird, especially after having no trouble with them at all, but you can't mess around with allergies. Anaphylactic shock is NOT fun!!!

Ladidah 09-09-2003 11:02 AM

I'm not allergic, but I haven't eaten an egg since I was on induction. I ate so many on induction that I can't even think about eating one now. So they are not absolutely necessary to eat. Do a search on "breakfast" here and you'll find many alternatives to eating eggs for breakfast, if that's what you are worried about.

Candid 09-09-2003 11:08 AM

I'm not glad that you have stomach problems, but I am glad to know I'm not the only person that has this problem. Breakfast has been the most difficult meal to adjust for me. I finally came up with what I call birdseed. Sunflower seeds, golden flaxseeds, sliced almonds, wheat germ and unsweetened coconut flakes, and 1 T of whey protein isolate powder, 99% lactose free.

Browneyedgurl 09-09-2003 11:35 AM

Thanks for all the replies :)

My food allergies were horrible when I was a teen. I have been tested twice and while they can determine what foods I am allergic to, they can't determine when I'll have an allergic reaction. The reaction comes from eating combinations of foods. Its weird. I was having reactions on the average of twice a month. I can't tell you how many times I ended up in the ER, covered in welts, with my air passages swelling and closing. Those reactions always began with a terrible stomach ache. Its the exact same ache I get after eating eggs, but like I stated before, I never break out in welts or hives from them. I thought I had pretty much outgrew my allergic reactions. I haven't had one in about 2 years, and it was at least a year before that when I had the previous one.

Oh well, I will definitely be sticking to small doses of eggs from now on.

09-09-2003 12:19 PM

Quote:

I, too, can't handle straight eggs, particularly in the morning, but I AM able to eat them cooked into other things. Custard, LC cheesecake, CJ's breakfast pudding, even quiche don't seem to bother me. It's the egg alone that seems to trigger the trouble.
I am EXACTLY the same way! My throat gets really tight and uncomfortable. But just when I eat eggs alone.

Weird.

09-09-2003 12:54 PM

I posted about this several months ago. The allergist swears that I am allergic to eggs. I was doing fine, then all of a sudden I was having all the symptons of everyone here.
I can eat whatever I want with eggs in it, just not plain eggs on a empty stomach. Whites, yolks, whole eggs. Cant do it. I get a stomach ache, cramping, bloating, gas, etc........

I am now eating my eggs in salads, and scrambled with bacon and cream cheese.
Im not allergic, but for whatever reason, eggs alone, I have an intolerance.

Patty N 09-09-2003 01:34 PM

It used to be that I would get a belly ache and feel kind of nauseous from eating eggs alone, especially on an empty stomach. Then I discovered Omega-3 eggs, e.g., Eggland's Best, and can now eat those with no problems whatsoever -- no more tummy aches! The hens are fed flax, so maybe that is the key right there. They are more costly than regular eggs, but are worth it, IMO!! :)

SHinOK 09-09-2003 01:40 PM

Allergies can produce VERY strange symptoms and such a variety of responses. When I was a small child, there were only three foods I could keep down: green beans, pineapple and rice. When they did my allergy tests, what fell in line right behind egg white and peanuts?? Green beans, pineapple and rice!! I was VERY allergic to all of them, yet those three were the only foods that didn't come right back up!! And rice is supposed to be on of the very least allergic foods in the world (hence, the big lamb & rice craze in pet foods--supposedly they're both "benign" sorts of food).

Just be careful browneyedgurl....that's the main thing! We don't want to hear a sad tale about you having an allergic reaction down the road!!

wndpotter 07-02-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Browneyedgurl (Post 1709611)
Let me start by saying I have food allergies and when I eat something I'm allergic to, I get a terrible stomach ache, then I break out into hives and have a full blown reaction.

I've never been allergic to eggs. But, for the past 2 months or so, whenever I eat eggs, I get that terrible stomach ache for about 45 minutes to an hour. I don't break out into hives or anything, but the stomach ache is horrible. At first I thought I had a bad container of eggs. But, it has happened several times. I've found the only way I can eat eggs now is if they are cut up in a salad, or a small amount with a meal. I can't eat them on an empty stomach at all.

This is cramping my diet. I'm getting just a small portion of eggs each week. Its just so strange that this has started. I used to eat eggs with no problem at all. :mad:

My name is wanda. I too have the exact same egg problem. I went to an allergy doctor and I am severely allergic to eggs. It started after I had my son. I had no problem at all until now. I discovered that I am allergic to the omega 3. The stomach pain you get, I also get. You can't even describe it. It is HORRIBLE! I do have an epi-pen for this. The doc said " no more experiments it is dangerous" I would love to talk to you about this. I do hope that you reply because I am in the same boat.

wndpotter 07-02-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alliekat (Post 1710179)
I too suffer from that terrible pain after I eat eggs.. I feel as if something or someone is ripping my stomach out.

I totally get you. You feel like you are going to die. I am allergic to egg white, yolks, and omega 3.

Carrollkay 07-02-2008 09:51 PM

Me too it's driving me crazy I love eggs and I am deathly sick from them for about 2 months now.
Lisa

Mom2Mayhem 07-03-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

I also get those stomache aches and have realized I cannot eat alot of eggs continuously. I can eat them occasionally, but if I eat more, oooh, my tummy. In the past, I had worried that my gall bladder was acting up, but it is not the fat, it was the eggs hurting my tummy.

Katie914 07-03-2008 06:55 PM

sometimes u can minimize or eliminate a food allergy as long as u mix it with other food...HOWEVER do that at ur OWN RISK!!! :-)

Ahoy Polloi 03-13-2010 10:00 PM

I felt I had to post to this forum after experiencing the same sudden intolerance to eating eggs then typing "sudden intolerance to eggs" into Google, not really thinking I'd find a list of people who'd experienced the same bizarre turn of events. I had been living in China for four months (eating eggs all along), and when I returned to the US, I suddenly had terrible stomach pain after eating eggs (usually as breakfast). I'll have to try some of the suggestions made here and report back as to what works.

Emerald 03-13-2010 11:14 PM

Wow. 2003 to 2008 to 2010. Wonder if we'll see this thread in 2012?

razorbackmama 07-17-2010 10:04 PM

Count me in as well. In fact, I found this thread by googling "stomach cramps eat eggs." I had scrambled eggs and pancakes for supper (not LCing right now, though I have in the past :D ) and now have this sort of generic gnawing pain just below my ribs. The last 2 times I've eaten eggs I've gotten the same thing.

It's been going on on and off for about a year, but I've never been able to put it together with anything like this. It started during my last pregnancy. I can eat things with eggs as an ingredient with no problem.

The only allergies I have are to novocaine, lidocaine, and sulfa drugs - I have no environmental or food allergies. So this is all very new to me!

It's sort of a gnawing pain, almost like I need a Tums or something. :blush: But no matter how much I take, it doesn't help at all. :down:

sassy_red 07-18-2010 05:21 AM

I've noticed recently that whenever I ear eggs too I get stomach pains (mainly HB eggs) but I NEVER attributed it to an egg allergy! It's funny because I'm waiting for some HB eggs to cool so I can make egg salad. Thing is, I don't seem to have a problem unless it's pure eggs; cut it with oil (scrambled) or some other fat (egg salad, devilled/stuff etc) and I feel fine.

Now I'm going to have to try it out and experiment, but it'll be tough if I AM allergic to eggs, they're the cheapest form of protein on the market and a huge staple of my current diet.

jezzie 07-18-2010 05:58 AM

Sorry. :hugs:

I've never had any kind of an allergy.
It sounds quite unpleasant.

SoHappy 07-18-2010 06:55 AM

If you've been a big eater of chicken eggs for years, I expect you have developed a sensitivity. Maybe not a full-blown allergy yet, hopefully.

When we are advised to eat a 'varied' diet, it's probably all for the good. If we were wild humans, I don't expect we would have access to fresh laid eggs every day and season of the year. (I always just try to think of how Mother Nature would have designed us to eat. LOL :laugh:)

Maybe just try to lay off the eggs for several months and then start them in very slowly again and see if it went away?

I was sensitive to eggs years ago for quite awhile. After breakfast I'd have such a gut ache!!! Stomach pain would double me over. I gave up on eggs for a long, long time. Now I average about one egg per day. Some days not at all, and some days a couple.

2BoysMom 07-18-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

My husband developed this a few years ago, too - and it has been really tough on him, since he LOVES them.

It is odd - he can eat them IN things - like baked goods - even custards and things like that. But not on their own without getting the horrible stomach ache you mentioned.

As someone else mentioned, a food allergy can crop up at any time - but it still stinks. Sorry to hear you are going through this. :hugs:

theredhead 07-18-2010 06:43 PM

After about 3 years on Atkins, I developed a sensitivity to eggs, too. I had the terrible stomach cramps and it took awhile for me to figure out what was causing it. I read that one can develop an allergy at any time, and it was common to be allergic to the proteins in egg whites. I stopped eating eggs for about a year and a half, then tried them again. I was able to resume eating them, slowly, and now I don't have any trouble eating them.

fawn 07-19-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahoy Polloi (Post 13251533)
I felt I had to post to this forum after experiencing the same sudden intolerance to eating eggs then typing "sudden intolerance to eggs" into Google, not really thinking I'd find a list of people who'd experienced the same bizarre turn of events. I had been living in China for four months (eating eggs all along), and when I returned to the US, I suddenly had terrible stomach pain after eating eggs (usually as breakfast). I'll have to try some of the suggestions made here and report back as to what works.

Says something about the American food system.:laugh:

You might try organic farm fresh eggs. Provocative food testing is always the best way to go.

If one is just beginning, many times healing of the gut with proper increase in bacteria is helpful.