Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
I just did a Google search for "developing allergy to eggs" and this topic popped up.

In the last few months, I have been getting severe tummy cramping and "run to the nearest bathroom like NOW" around 3-4 in the afternoon. Not knowing what has been causing this I figured out that this happens on the days I have eggs for breakfast. I generally have them either scrambled with no added cream; or fried, yolks broken and cooked. The cramping and bathroom visits last for about an hour for me and its not pleasant.

I buy my eggs from a local Amish farmer. I know they let the hens roam around their farm, never caged. I also know they feed them an organic feed during winter months. Not sure what is going on but I think I am developing an allergy or intolerance. Totally bums me out but I will eliminate them for a month and slowly try them again. I may request an allergy test from my Integrative Doc and see what comes out of it.

As I recall, didn't Suzanne Somers have this same problem just recently? If anyone has a link or information on that I would really appreciate it.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #62

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
I just did a Google search for "developing allergy to eggs" and this topic popped up.

In the last few months, I have been getting severe tummy cramping and "run to the nearest bathroom like NOW" around 3-4 in the afternoon. Not knowing what has been causing this I figured out that this happens on the days I have eggs for breakfast. I generally have them either scrambled with no added cream; or fried, yolks broken and cooked. The cramping and bathroom visits last for about an hour for me and its not pleasant.

I buy my eggs from a local Amish farmer. I know they let the hens roam around their farm, never caged. I also know they feed them an organic feed during winter months. Not sure what is going on but I think I am developing an allergy or intolerance. Totally bums me out but I will eliminate them for a month and slowly try them again. I may request an allergy test from my Integrative Doc and see what comes out of it.

As I recall, didn't Suzanne Somers have this same problem just recently? If anyone has a link or information on that I would really appreciate it.
In case you didn't read the whole thread... you may want to avoid a flu shot in case you do have an egg white protein allergy. The protein in the yolk is different from the white. I do fine with egg yolk, the flu shot is egg protein based and gave me a big big red angry welt.
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Maryposa, thank you for the info. I did read the entire thread and many many years ago when I worked with the elderly and children in a local hospital setting I was encouraged to get the flu shot. I always had a bad reaction to it and they really just "poo-poo"ed the idea that I was having a reaction to it.

After I contracted a very severe and debilitating case of lyme disease years ago, it was highly recommended by my lyme doctor to NEVER get a flu vaccine. I guess that first reaction to the flu shot back in the early 1990's may have been a clue to avoid eggs. I didn't always have a bad reaction to eggs when I ate them but then I may have something else to eat before the eggs. Not sure but now that I am aware its happening more frequently, I have to do the elimination test and/or have an egg allergy test done. Darn it all, I love eggs.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsDiGiacomo
WOE: Natural, homemade, non-processed foos
Pain from eggs

I found this thread by googling "stomach cramps after eating eggs".

I do have lactose intolerance and have always had an active intestinal system. These horrendous stomach cramps started about a week and a half ago and it took me until 2 nights ago to determine it was eggs. We just bought hens and started eating our own eggs; I'm so sad!

I tried store-bought/non-organic eggs, eating eggs in something (egg salad sandwich or mayonnaise or pancakes, etc), eating eggs late in the day (like not on an empty stomach). No matter how I do it I still get these horrible stomach pains for 2-6 hours, about 1 hour after ingesting eggs.

I'm really sorry that other people have to experience this. I'm considering the GAPS diet as an intestinal flora/bacteria "reboot". I don't know if you can get an enzyme supplement or something like you can for lactose.
MrsDiGiacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Hi there. Sorry to hear about that. What are you feeding your hens?
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Wow. 2003 to 2008 to 2010. Wonder if we'll see this thread in 2012?
How about in 2013. I have developed an intolerance for eggs. I can eat them in things including believe it or not egg creams. But eggs by themselves cause me great stomach pain. If I go to Bob Evans and get steak and eggs or Mcdonalds Steak and Eggs minus the bagel I am ok but eggs by themselves ouch. Wonder if the steak some how helps.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
How about in 2013. I have developed an intolerance for eggs. I can eat them in things including believe it or not egg creams. But eggs by themselves cause me great stomach pain. If I go to Bob Evans and get steak and eggs or Mcdonalds Steak and Eggs minus the bagel I am ok but eggs by themselves ouch. Wonder if the steak some how helps.
Wow this is a common thing. I find that if I have an egg white omlette, i'm fine. However, omlette w/ the yolk and my stomach burns like acid reflux or something. Also even more strange - if i were to have regular eggs (yolk included) either mixed into something (not omlette but like a sandwich), i'm usually okay.

I eat eggs seldomly because of this!
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiddlejen
Stats: 296 oh no!!/287/..a whole lot less!!..
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: IF 2013->Atkins 2/20. 3/13 aiming for Atkins Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
a skin allergy test will help solve that... or if one already know they react to the flu shot with a welt. If the egg protein test is negative and eggs make someone sick, it's something else... but egg allergy is VERY common.
Pavlovian reactions can cause allergies to things - especially to common allergies - that are not "primary" allergies, and these secondary allergies can fade.

For example, when the pollen is high I will have all-out allergic reaction to any fragrance at all, even if no pollen is present. However, halfway through winter, if I haven't been exposed to much other "true" allergens, I can enjoy some fragrances to a limited extent.

I know that the first time I did Atkins, after eating eggs frequently, they started making me nauseous. Because I was worried about developing more allergies (especially since, as an asthmatic, I need that flu shot!) I immediately cut way back on the eggs. Now it's a number of years later, and as long as I don't eat Too many eggs at a time, or, too many times per week, I'm just fine with them.

(Hmm... the other difference, now only about half the eggs I use are regular brown eggs from the store. The rest are either fancy-expensive free-range omega-etc, or else local eggs from local musicians.)

Last edited by fiddlejen; 04-10-2013 at 08:43 AM..
fiddlejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #69
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I never would have thought an allergy would cause stomach problems. I've been having some issues and thought it was the medicine I was taking. Today is the first day I stopped taking the medicine, but now I know to pay attention to how I feel when eating eggs. I know in the last few weeks I've had more issues and coincidentally (maybe) I've also eaten more eggs than normal.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
WOE: A 72 Induction (Hard Core!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post

yeah i get cramps but no skin reactions. I always think we use the term "allergic" to liberally?
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AprilW
Stats: 175/117/120 GOAL!!!! 5'4 36 yrs. old
WOE: Atkin's
Start Date: Oct. 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
I responded to this much earlier in the thread, but since it's been so long, I wanted to mention again that although I couldn't eat eggs for awhile, eventually I started eating them again with no problem. I waited about a year, only eating eggs that happened to be cooked into other things, but not scrambled for breakfast anymore. I love eggs and I'm so relieved it didn't turn into a long-term thing. I hope it works that way for all of you, too!
I can eat them occasionally now with no problems. I don't get the awful stomach aches I did in the past. I still only eat them when I know that I don't have to go anywhere just in case.
AprilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: N7femshep
Stats: 250/245/150
WOE: 40 carbs a day
I have the same terrible cramps in the stomach when I eat eggs. I can't eat them at all unless they are completely scrambled or hardboiled, and even then I have to take an allergy pill beforehand. With an allergy pill it's reduced to itchy lips and a weird feeling in my throat. I always wondered why it started happening to me as an adult when I ate them as a child all the time.
N7femshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Davidt443
Hello, I am a 21 year old male. For the past 11 months I've been hitting the gym 6 days a week with a high egg content diet. I've never had a problem with eggs, as I have eaten an average 5 to 6 scrambled or fried at one meal. Well all has changed, my body I guess had grown intolerant to them. A Few days ago for lunch I had 5 scrambled eggs with sausage and bread. 30 minutes later I started developing a slight cramping feeling, a normal feeling for me as I would literally force myself to finish the food. 10 more minutes past and I was rushing to the bathroom at first to "sit" but then quickly realized I was going to vomit all of my food up, for the next 4 to 5 hours I had constant almost unbearable abdominal pain. At first I thought I got food poisoning but after I took a nap I was started to feel myself again. I was able to eat dinner, I had hamburger helper and my stomach was fine. I thought to myself maybe there was something I had for lunch that my stomach didn't like. Well the next day i had oatmeal for breakfast and my stomach was fine, for lunch I had only 2 eggs with rice and a chicken breast. Same exact scenario happened to me another 4 hours of constant abdominal pain, but it definitely wasn't as bad as the day I had 5 eggs. So I have gone a few days without eggs and my problem has been solved. I'm guessing since I was eating so much eggs my body just had enough of them, I won't b e eating them for a while as I missed 2 days of work because of it. I haven't had really any baked goods or other foods with egg in it yet, will keep y'all posted
Davidt443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #74
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: trishamav
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeezy View Post
you may be allergic to the "whites",
but not the "yellow".
try eating only the yolk, and see what happens...
I actually had this problem for years (since I got pregnant with my son 13 years ago) it has gotten better. I can eat eggs now in a very small amount (more yolk than whites) and only if I eat them with other stuff, such as potatoes and toast. The whites were definitely what was hurting me. I even tried to make a omelet with just yolks before...not the best for you. People go out of their way to eat just whites, and here I am only able to eat the yolk
trishamav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #75

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishamav View Post
I actually had this problem for years (since I got pregnant with my son 13 years ago) it has gotten better. I can eat eggs now in a very small amount (more yolk than whites) and only if I eat them with other stuff, such as potatoes and toast. The whites were definitely what was hurting me. I even tried to make a omelet with just yolks before...not the best for you. People go out of their way to eat just whites, and here I am only able to eat the yolk
From what I read, the yolk has a different protein from the white, but ALSO has a little of the same protein as the white.
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
having had food allergies for lots of food for 8 years straight,and having cured partially,here is what I found:
If you break into hives,you also have a leaky gut.
If there are stomach issues only,that means the food is only partially digested but not getting into bloodstream via leaky gut.
If u ignore that,it leads to former.
Do an elimination diet and figure out what exactly u r allergic to.Don't eat combos while eliminating.
I found I was allergic only to egg whites and casein in milk and yogurt and cottage/fresh cheeses,but can tolerate whey protein in ricotta and most hard cheeses,butter and HWC and half and half.
Legumes are problem including cashews and peanuts,bcoz they belong to legume family.
What works to heal:

healing leaky gut:
collagen and gelatin
aloe vera juice
L-glutamine
Digestive enyzymes
probiotics esp Lactobacillus Rhamnosus,Culturelle
omega3
homeo medicine for strengthening immune system

Digestive enzymes half hour before meals.
For eggs that would be protease enzyme
I use enzymedica and theramedix brands.
U need to work your way up the dosage.

I eat the foods I have problem only in moderation and rotate frequently.

70% allergies/sensitivities gone.

When I stop caring by eating unhealthy gut foods,symptoms return,first as stomach issues graduating to hives.
180:reached
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
I too, developed an intolerance to eggs....after 4 months of eating eggs pretty much every day, they began to make me break out in hives. Then they started making my throat all itchy and that's when I got scared and gave them up completely. I didn't eat eggs for 5 months!!! After that long of a break I figured I would try one and there was no reaction!!! It was a happy day I can now eat 3-6 eggs per week and I'm fine.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
I read somewhere about egg yolks and joint inflammation a while back and thought nothing of it. A bit later I started having problems with my knees which I had never had, being a walker/runner for years. I upped my salmon intake and a tsp of cod liver oil, etc. I also take osteo biflex daily. Seemed to get worse. By chance, here in the forums, someone mentioned the link about egg yolks and arthritis, joint pain. Well, I have eaten at least 18 eggs or so a week for the past few years, and I thought No!!! Couldn't be!! So, I cut out eggs, cold turkey. Within 10 days, the difference was dramatic So, where does that leave me? I have cut back to about 3 whole eggs a week, and use egg beaters and egg whites. Learning to bake with other means of replacing eggs- flax is a good one. I made crepes for breakfast used half whole egg and half egg beaters. Came out delish.

Not allergic. Just intolerant
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Egg white allergy is more common but can be allergies to either protein. https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eg...1/METHOD=print
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #80
Video Vixen

Gallery: MLE777
Stats: 151/148/132 5'2"
WOE: Who knows...
{I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add this in case anyone came across it later on in a search}

I've been having stomach issues and was about 90% sure that is was eggs. I had allergy testing done yesterday and the following things popped up that I was allergic to (none of which I eat on a frequent basis):

*Cantaloupe
*Clams
*Cod fish
*Hazelnut
*Lima Beans
*Lobster
*Oat
*Pecan
*Soy
*Baker's Yeast

I was shocked that eggs weren't on the list and asked the doctor about it and he asked me what kind of eggs do I eat. I told him just the typically grocery store brand. He said that regular mass-egg-producing chickens (not the free-roaming or fresh from the farm kind) are fed soy feed. The soy then shows up in the chickens eggs. I haven't been reacting to the eggs, I've been reacting to the soy in the eggs. It's really eye-opening. I have to now track down a source for free-roaming (eats bugs and veggies) chicken eggs.

I thought that might be helpful to someone else that thought that eggs were the problem

DH and I before our 1st Tough Mudder. I am a three-time Tough Mudder
Emily

Those who do not find time for exercise will have to find time for illness. -Earl of Derby
MLE777 is offline   Reply With Quote