Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #31
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I have the same problem if I eat a hard boiled egg (but only hard boiled, any other way cooked is fine) that isn't freshly hard boiled. Eggs that sit in the fridge and are cold seem to give me the worst stomach pains. I can eat them in salads, like you, but by themselves............

Now, hard boil an egg, and eat it while it's still warm, with a pat of butter/salt/pepper...... NO PROBLEM!

Can't figure out why, but at least I know I can still eat eggs!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jacoli2
I've had gastritis for over 40 years but the pain has usually been kept under control untill about 3 months ago. Any time I eat eggs by themselves, the pain becomes unbareable. I have no problem if they are cooked in any ofoods, just cannot eat them alone, fried, boiled, scrambled, etc. I've retried eating them about a month apart, but just a few bites and I can feel the pain starting. I read in this post that Egglands Best might br an answer or Zantac, has anyone tried either of these, if so, what were the results?. Thanks
jacoli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #33

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyedgurl View Post
Let me start by saying I have food allergies and when I eat something I'm allergic to, I get a terrible stomach ache, then I break out into hives and have a full blown reaction.

I've never been allergic to eggs. But, for the past 2 months or so, whenever I eat eggs, I get that terrible stomach ache for about 45 minutes to an hour. I don't break out into hives or anything, but the stomach ache is horrible. At first I thought I had a bad container of eggs. But, it has happened several times. I've found the only way I can eat eggs now is if they are cut up in a salad, or a small amount with a meal. I can't eat them on an empty stomach at all.

This is cramping my diet. I'm getting just a small portion of eggs each week. Its just so strange that this has started. I used to eat eggs with no problem at all.
happened to me too ... do NOT get a flu shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as the base is egg protein. My arm turned into one hideous burning hive.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: imareck2000
I to have had troubles with certain foods, but eggs are the biggest. I have found that I to can't eat them in big amounts even with food. If I do I develop stomach cramps, go pale in the face, feel like I could vomit....then get shaky and feel prickling on my skin, sometimes even hives. Sometimes felt like I could pass out. Did once, but don't know if it was from the eggs then, just something in a food I ate that my body didn't like I guess. After I have these attacks it just drains me and I want to sleep. I had one tonight, but it wasn't until tonight that I finally realize I just can't eat eggs very much at all. If I have mayo one day and then have little eggs on a salad, then have a little every day, then I may have a episoide just from the build up of eggs in the system. I just can't really eat eggs in abundance anymore. Sad because I love potato salad, deviled eggs, those things that you see on the holidays. And I have to stay away from them. If I have any I make sure that I don't go anywhere, because of the pain puts me down, but I am amazed of the other people out there who have the same problem.
imareck2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chiefswife
Wow... and I thought it was just me!! Not sure what you all mean by *stomachache* but my pain starts about 3 or 4 hours after I eat eggs. Horrible gas pains and diarrhea. I've tried just egg whites but they seem to be worse. Tried Egg Beaters too... and that's worse than real eggs. The worst thing I can eat is a deviled egg. I have tried those lactose intolerance pills but not much help. Haven't tried Zantac yet... isn't that heartburn medication? All my pain is at the other end lol. Even eggs cooked into something, I get a lot of gas but not quite as painful as scrambled or boiled. I've eaten them all my life until about 6 years ago. And I never ate a *lot* at once, usually just on weekends for breakfast.

Curious to find out if some of the options mentioned in this thread have worked for anyone else.... I am seriously considering visiting a gastroenterologist but they are phenomenally expensive and the testing is very invasive.

Hope to hear from someone soon!
chiefswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #36

eggs don't have lactose so those pills wont help. more than likely you are allergic to egg protein if egg white is worse than whole egg. do not get a flu shot and be careful with protein powders (go for whey only) as egg protein can be powdered
Old 07-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: winkydink
Stats: 261/149/150
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 03/22/10 age 42
I have the same problem. The only way I can eat them is if they are poached in water that has vinegar in it. It seems to break down the protein in the whites.
winkydink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tonyalaya
Stats: 267/187/160 36 yr 5'8"
WOE: 30 carbs > day > 70 protein
Start Date: 1/24/11
That stinks! I realized a few years ago that I can't eat eggs with a runny yolk. If I have my eggs my favorite way, over medium, with all the white cooked and the yolk still runny I will have a terrible stomach ache about an hour later that lasts all day. I can still eat them cooked though. My son is allergic to the egg whites only, according to the blood serum allergy testing they did last fall. But eggs never produce a visible reaction in him. Since he has other GI issues, I still avoid them with him. But I wonder if they use raw egg or cooked egg for those tests. I read somewhere that it's possible to be allergic to one and not the other since the protein completely changes when you cook an egg.
5/27/11-lost 49.4 lbs
6/10/11-lost 55 lbs
7/15/11-lost 65 lbs

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Cor. 12:9
tonyalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Interestingly, I developed allergies to the flu shot which my employer INSISTS I get every year. While I was researching this, I learned eggs are one of the most common allergies! Sorry you are going through this. I also developed allergy to strawberries which totally sucks because it is the one fruit I love and could have in reasonable quantities on LC.

Can you get some TVP (texturized veggie protein)? It is a reasonable substitute for eggs if you wanna make an omlette and perhaps some of the vegetarians on their board can suggest LC versions. I was vegetarian for a minute of my life and this was what I ate instead of eggs...

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.
(T. E. Lawrence)
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Wow. 2003 to 2008 to 2010. Wonder if we'll see this thread in 2012?
Too funny! Yep, count me in as one who is now allergic to eggs.

I've had to do an elimination diet to figure out which foods were making me sick. I was so praying that it was not eggs.

I just go my results back on the allergy tests and it does seem as if I am allergic to all of the things that I eat the most.

I am horrible about rotating my diet. I have been known to eat a Ribeye with steamed asparagus for 5 meals out of the week. No wonder I am now allergic to asparagus?

I am now trying to be more careful about rotating my foods.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: errihu
Stats: 290/242/165
WOE: Paleo/Atkins/HCG R2 Jan 4
Start Date: January 25, 2011
Wow... Last week I ate eggs for breakfast, every breakfast. Just eggs. Three of them. My stomach hurt from it and I felt icky. I started to dread the sight of eggs. I never have problems with deviled eggs or eggs cooked into something, but I think I'm sensitive to eggs alone.

I'll make poached eggs with vinegar in the water (I heard it also keeps them from spreading apart too much - I don't poach in a poaching tray, just blop the egg into the boiling water). Those don't bother me, but it could be because I'm eating them with Bearnaise (mmm) and usually vegetables.

I wonder if I'm not slightly sensitive to eggs. What a shame, they are a very good food. I eat omega 3 eggs (I get a worse reaction out of the non-omegas, come to think of it, and that anemic yellow yolk scares my farm-girl ass).
errihu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
Omg, I'm sorry that this is happening. I have a similar problem with milk, though I can eat it if it's cooked into things.

As for eggs, I love them but get sick of things after a while. Right now I eat meat and a lc fruit for brekky.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every day!
Funny that this post was recently "bumped"...I used to eat between 4 and 10eggs a day, every day. In the past few months I've suspected that they are the culprit causing extreme sleepiness and heavy-feeling eye pain that makes me want to just close my eyes. I hadn't had eggs in a few weeks and I ate two for breakfast last weekend --within 30 minutes I had that incompacitating drowsiness... I love eggs and they've been a staple of my diet but I need to give them up
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: barleydog
same issue

I thought I was crazy too. I went to my doctor thinking I had ulcers. I was still in the first three weeks of the atkins diet, and started developing terrible stomach aches, which got worse each day. Tums just wouldn't help. I thought it was a reaction to an herbal supplement I was taking, but it sounds like egg allergies are fairly common to develop. I'm hoping it goes away, we just got chickens! We typically only eat organic eggs..but I think I just over did it with them on atkins.
barleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty N View Post
Then I discovered Omega-3 eggs, e.g., Eggland's Best,
These are the only eggs I buy. My husband's eyes pop when he compares the price with the 'cheap' eggs, but I think they're worth it when I run out of my home grown eggs.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Hmmm...I ate eggs one morning for breakfast and had a 5 hour naseau spell. I felt like I was going to pass out. Usually I eat meat w/my eggs but that morning I didn't.

I didn't eat them for a week bc of this. But the other day, DH made me some. He never cooks anything so he was proud of himself for picking something LC for me. Sigh. So I ate 2...then I had stomach gas all night. I never connected it w/eggs.

A few weeks ago, I switched from Omega 3 to the cheap eggs. I'm wondering if that has something to do w/it....hmmm....if so, I'll buy the cheap ones for baking and only eat the Omegas for breakfast...

Deanne
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #47

I hate to say it but if you're really allergic to egg protein, as most of the people who posted in this thread, the omega eggs have nothing to do with changing the fact that it is chicken egg protein in the egg. There are people who are allegic to the yolk, but it is the proteins in the yolk. Most people who are allergic react to the proteins in egg whites, but some can't tolerate proteins in the yolk. Bottom line, the allergy is never to the FAT in the egg, that I know of.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Building up intestinal bacteria (flora) can greatly help one with allergies, especially the type mentioned here. It is worth the search on the Internet.
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
I think it was already mentioned, but if it seems to happen with a particular brand/source of egg, there might be something in it that is a problem. Some of the caged commodity production hens are fed all kinds of stuff, animal by products, grains loaded with pesticides, etc., maybe some of that makes it through to the eggs?
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
I think it was already mentioned, but if it seems to happen with a particular brand/source of egg, there might be something in it that is a problem. Some of the caged commodity production hens are fed all kinds of stuff, animal by products, grains loaded with pesticides, etc., maybe some of that makes it through to the eggs?
Arsenic being one of the scariest
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Arsenic being one of the scariest
Interesting. I was reading something about arsenic in certain fruit juices, because they are sourcing juice from other countries that allow use of arsenic in pesticides.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: squeakie
Stats: 126/112/110 (5'1")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: on and off since 2000. latest restart june 19 2011
I have the same problem and it just started out of nowhere. It sucks because I love eggs!
Maybe I'll try the yolks only and see what happens... I'm just a little scared to because the pain I normally get from eggs is just awful and lasts for hours.
squeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
a skin allergy test will help solve that... or if one already know they react to the flu shot with a welt. If the egg protein test is negative and eggs make someone sick, it's something else... but egg allergy is VERY common.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
scrambled eggs give me headaches
fried unbroken yokes 3 at a time once every two weeks is ok more than that I swell.
So....treat every now and then only. Eat them mid day so I don't swell durning the night. Just belly bloat not throat....if it was that bad I'd avoid eggs!
No problem from HB eggs, but I don't really like them that way...figures
lizzybme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: honeysock
Stats: 211.5/211/150
WOE: low-carb/SB
Start Date: first time on lowcarb: 1972! (I was 13 : ) )
So glad I found this thread! 6 days ago I thought I was doomed for months of tests and GI crap, I'd been feeling so bad for so long. I wasn't having typical allergic reaction symptoms, just all the GI-related stuff, seemingly unpredictably: nausea/cramps/upper abdominal pain within 30 minutes after eating, extreme fatigue/drowsiness following that, then 1-2 days of diarrhea. Having never had any food intolerances before, I started eliminating the usual suspects: gluten, dairy, even fruit (I'm not low-carbing at the moment). And I kept a food diary. I never ever suspected eggs. We've had chickens now for two years because we love fresh eggs so much.

It was my husband who figured it out. So I quit eating eggs completely last Sunday and I feel like myself again! Lots of energy, not stomach problems. I have been eating a lot of probiotic stuff though and taking probiotic supplements, which I started before I figured out the egg problem.

I read somewhere that these types of sudden intolerances frequently happen after intestinal flus, and I've also noticed a trend for this happening after women who've recently given birth. So, there may be a connection with egg intolerance coming on after the GI flora has been "messed with," perhaps? Seems like someone else earlier in this thread mentioned that as well.

At any rate, I won't even be testing for the whites vs. yolks thing for a while. Those symptoms knocked me flat for too long!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I responded to this much earlier in the thread, but since it's been so long, I wanted to mention again that although I couldn't eat eggs for awhile, eventually I started eating them again with no problem. I waited about a year, only eating eggs that happened to be cooked into other things, but not scrambled for breakfast anymore. I love eggs and I'm so relieved it didn't turn into a long-term thing. I hope it works that way for all of you, too!
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chevy1216
OMG, never have heard of anyone else with this problem. Have had it for quite some time. Eggs are the most recent offenders but I have over the years had the same reactions to other foods or situations. Sometimes I have the same symptoms when I eat a heavy lunch if I'm tired or overly stressed out. Eggs have recently become a problem which sux because I'm trying to watch the carbs AND I just love eggs. The Zantac does seem to work but you wonder about the wisdom behind medicating yourself to eat something that your body obviously has a problem with. Oh well, at least I know I'm not alone and that no one had any serious issues that stemmed from this problem!
Chevy1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msack3889
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 7/4/2012
I am experiencing the same problem...can't eat eggs on an empty stomach.
msack3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emyally0607
I have done this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeezy View Post
you may be allergic to the "whites",
but not the "yellow".
try eating only the yolk, and see what happens...
I seriously have had this problem all my life, and when I tell people about it, they look at me funny. After I eat eggs, almost always, I get pain in my lower back for a really long time, sometimes unbearable. But, like the person said above, I used to eat an over-easy egg, and just eat the yolk with some toast, and it never, ever upset my stomach. Then, when I would have scrambled eggs, it would hurt horribly.

Another thing that relieved this...and I don't mean to be crude or weird or anything, but doing -- how do I say this -- yourself. there, that seems appropriate... I don't want to seem weird...but that has always helped me when it got really bad.

Antacids never work, pepto, anything like that never works. I noticed also that after I had my second child that when I eat cantaloupe, shrimp (my favorite food), the same thing happens. And just this month, it happened with bananas, which it never happened before. I was having the pain a few minutes ago and was starting to get worried because I hadn't even eaten anything and I started having the pain in my lower back, but it's gone now, thankfully... Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem
Emyally0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jayo619
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-started June 2011
Damn that sucks for you guys
Now im paranoid that i will develop allergies. Maybe I should cut back on the egg creams. My friend at work recently developed an allergy to dairy and that really sucks for her.
Jayo619 is offline   Reply With Quote