Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GwnStfni
Stats: 231/168.4/131
WOE: Atkins & Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 02/13/2010
How to tell if your Metabolism is Fast/Slow?

Hello, I was thinking about this question the other day at the gym. I didn't know who else to ask so I thought I'd get some opinions here. Is there any sort of test that you can take or give yourself that would indicate whether your metabolism is fast or slow?

I'm wondering, is your metabolism directly related to your heart rate?

I don't know if this is related or not but for the last couple of years since I've been wearing a heartrate monitor while exercising, I've noticed that I have an extremely high HR during exercise. In college, my gym teacher would constantly tell me to slow it down b/c he said if I were over my target HR then I really was doing more bad then good. To my dismay, I would slow it down even though I felt healthy and fit enough to go at a faster pace (jogging). Now, when I go to the gym, if I'm not paying attention, my HR has a tendency to go as high as 195-210 when it should really be closer to 170 for my age (25). 195-210 were the high numbers I'd get back in college too (3.5 years ago).

I don't know, I'm confused. Does my high HR mean that I have a fast metabolism and does my HR have a tendency to get that high because I've got this extra weight????

Original Stats (6/9/03): 275/147 (128lbs lost)
GwnStfni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2003, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda Love
Stats: 190/144.0/135
WOE: Michael Thurmond's 6 Week Body Makeover!
Start Date: January 1, 2004 on the Thurmond Plan
Metabolism Rate

I don't too much about h/r and metabolism, but did you lose 51lbs in 2 months? If you did and have no ill effects, then I'd definitely state that you have a high metabolism. That's a hecka-lot of weight to lose in what I think is a short period of time.

Do you feel chilled? Are your hands and feet cold? Are you tired most of the time? Sleepy? Is your body temp lower than 98.6, say 96 or 97? Those are some of the symptoms--not all.

Over working the heart can result in a heart attack. But from what I gathered from your history of working out, your heart rate was always pretty high. Are you sure the lower rate IS your max and NOT the higher rate? Maybe the higher rate is normal for you. As long as you are not forcing yourself to overdo train and are not experiencing any dizziness, heart palpatations, etc., I'd sincerly consult with a fitness advisor to find your true maximum heart rate.

Pilates & Swimming, & Balance Ball Training!

"Lose it in Peace"

Last edited by Linda Love; 09-01-2003 at 09:12 AM..
Linda Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:27 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lisa Rae
Stats: 209/205/160
WOE: Atkins or Bust! Also Smoke Free!
Start Date: 9-15-2000 Re-start 5-18-2009
YOur loss for induction will tell you all you need to know. That's why after the chapter for induction..atkins has a chart to help you determine if your resistant. With your loss..I'd say your on th high side..so Wooo Hoo for you
Lisa Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:51 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you so much for the replies! My next question was going to be, does my rapid weightloss indicate a fast metabolism but you both have already answered it. I read the Atkins book cover to cover 4 years ago but I forgot about the section you just mentioned Lisa Rae. Now I've loaned that book out at least 5 times and the last person I loaned it to over a year ago never returned it!! So I thank you for reminding me of that. This is good to know, about my metabolism. I guess no matter how fast your metabolism, if you don't exercise at all and eat and eat and eat, you'll gain the weight, like I did. It's also good to get the weight off now rather then waiting a few years when my metabolism might really slow down.

Thanks again for the replies, it's made my day
Old 09-01-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Ladidah
Wow - your weight loss is amazing! Way to go!

I don't have much to add about heart rates. I am thinking about getting one of those watch thingys that you wear and it gives the rate. Mine (I'm a bit older than you ) is about 160 at about 85% of my max. That is where I try and keep it when I do cardio.
Ladidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kissyfur19
Stats: 295/273/160
WOE: Low Carb - my own thing
Start Date: Re-Started 7/8/14
Could someone tell me where to find this in the book? I have DANDR - the revised edition. And I couldn't find it!

Thanks
Kissyfur19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:15 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Ladidah
Pg. 158 in my paperback (revised) edition. A few pages into the chapter "Are You Ready For Phase 2?"
Ladidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lovelyb
Am I healthy ? Is my metabolism fast or low?

Hey; I'm 16 years old I'm on a diet im around 5'or 5'6 and i use to weigh 163 but now I'm 155 well that's when I checked at the doctors 2weeks ago idk how much I weigh now.well my house don't got alot of options to eat healthy there's barely not much to eat I'm not saying theres junk food either but my grandma buys a lot of fruits. I drink a lot of water and no juice or soda or ice tea !! I dont sleep until 6am-10am but I take a few naps for 2hrs sometimes. I wake up at 2pm everyday or earlier or later And just eat a small portion of dinner don't matter what my grandma makes and at night I would have a kellog cereal with no milk just in a bowl with a glass of water or sometimes with milk but not often I do work out almost everyday I do about 100 crunches now and 20 sit-ups and I go on the treadmill for 30 minutes then run 7 or 10 minutes sometimes I feel I'm not getting no progress but when I'm out with my friend we walk for hours I love walking and I wouldn't get tired I don't know if what I'm eating is to much or to low or is it because the dinner I eat ? I'm Hispanic so my grandma makes rice chicken beans ,pasta,breast chicken stuff like that but I take a really small bowl and don't pour a lot my grandma notices the bags under my eyes because I'm not sleeping well and I don't know why I'm not so she's giving me vitamins now*

Last edited by Lovelyb; 08-01-2010 at 03:55 PM..
Lovelyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past!!

Lovelyb, The vitamins are definitely a good thing! Your whole schedule seems really out of wack so your metabolism may be suffering because of it, mostly because of the cat naps you seem to be taking, rather than a full nights sleep.