Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2003, 09:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: allemania
Can CLA cause blood pressure to rise (please read)?

I think I read somewhere on here recently that CLA can cause a rise in blood pressure. I recently ordered CLA, and am concerned if this is the case. I have been on blood pressure meds for years and don't want to do anything that could make it worse!

If any of you know anything about this, please let me know before I start taking CLA. Thanks!!
allemania is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2003, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Bump for responses, please. Does ANYONE know anything about this or how I might find out?
Old 07-24-2003, 10:26 AM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sequim88
Stats: 227/215/170
WOE: SBD - Phase 1 & 2
Start Date: Mar. 9 2009
A quick search on the web makes it seem to me that this is not a problem with CLA. If it is doing the job (making you less fat) and reducing body mass there will be a definite improvement in blood pressure. Depending on how fast your lose the improvement should follow. After looking at several dozen search leads I could not find any reference to CLA and raising BP and almost all made the connection between lower body fat and lowing BP. So I think you will be OK to try it.

Besides, the plain Atkins diet lowered my BP from 136/95 to 120/70 just by lower weight. So if you are LC'ing and losing weight that alone may help a lot.

Here are some links I found (some blatant pitches for CLA so may not be completely unbiased):

http://www.scienceblog.com/community/article861.html

http://store.yahoo.com/aapi/claconlinac1.html

http://www.itsyourlife.uk.com/weight...rogrammes.html
(very Atkins friendly)
Old 07-24-2003, 10:42 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
There is no evidence in any literature I have found re: CLA that says it caused BP to rise...actually, it should do the opposite.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks a lot for your responses. I read on some post the other day how someone said that while using CLA their blood pressure was starting to rise again, and someone else responded and said something like "haven't you ever heard of the bp creep?" So it made me wonder if this might be a side effect of CLA. Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

This response is very, very late. However, hopefully it can help anyone else who is trying to research CLA and its effects of blood pressure on health.

One study I have found on Iranian adults with rheumatoid arthritis found a significant decrease in blood pressure. (1)

Another study in rats (because rats are so much like humans--scientists love their rats) showed a beneficial decrease in hypertension when fed CLA. (2)

However, supplementation of CLA, rather than getting it from its true source (meats and dairy) have shown to have the opposite effect of the health promotion that the animal sources provide. (3)

Being a low carber, I think that just receiving CLA from its natural source would be quite easy, and taking a supplement would probably be of very little use. However I can't make any decisions for anyone, as I'm not a doctor (not yet, anyway). So, you will have to rely on both a trusted health advisor as well as your own diligent research.

(1) Effect of conjugated linoleic acid, vitamin E and their combination on
(2) ScienceDirect - Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications : The 10trans,12cis isomer of conjugated linoleic acid suppresses the development of hypertension in Otsuka Long–Evans Tokushima fatty rats
(3) Eat Wild - CLA
TheHealthyAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote