Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2003, 09:18 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ANNB
5 Days on/2 Days off Atkins

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this...
Doing atkins 5 days and then being off 2 days or
6 days on/1 day off. If anyone has tried it, please let me know results, if any. Also if anyone has any feedback about this way of doing aktins, either good or bad, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!
ANNB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2003, 09:24 AM   #2
Oliversmum

Gallery: Oliversmum
From what I understand, and I think I have read this in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, that if you go off the diet at all, even for one day on this diet it breaks keytosis.

I am not wrong, Dr. Atkins words in his book were:

"Cheating is death on this diet." Cheating being "not following the rules".

Hope this helps.

oliversmum
Old 07-14-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
thelainster

Gallery: thelainster
I'm so GUILTY to admit it!

That's exactly what I've done since April 14/03 when I started because I knew this was long term for me and I didn't think I'd have the fortitude and endurance to last unless I did it this way. So every weekend I have gone to the restaurants with my husband and had traditional (high carb) items including a yummy desert. Some weeks I lost and some (3 Weeks) I did not. I was very strict for 5 days-never a cheat-then the weekend off (Sat and Sun) but I didn't overeat-I just had a few regular type meals. I've lost 30.6 lbs. But lately since I joined this board (my first) and have been reading about other people and how great they are with it-I've been feeling somewhat confused and guilty about my approach. I have a lot of health problems and pain issues so I'm not going to beat myself up terribly about it because I've bigger fish to fry so to speak. But as I'm feeling better from this last health related episode I think I'm going to try to cut it to 1 day off and see how that feels. And when I get my energy back-who knows how I'll feel then- maybe I'll try to be perfect on it-or maybe I'll say-hey-whatever works for me and stay that way the rest of my life (except for vacations! )

I feel so awed by some of the stories I've read (like snowrose) it makes me want to succeed at this-so I'll just take my cues from my own body and state of health and my inspiration from this board.
Good luck. Let me know how you do.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:56 AM   #4
Oliversmum

Gallery: Oliversmum
I should have re-read, my post before sending it, sorry but I sound a bit nasty. That was not my intention.

What I should have wrote was;

if I am not wrong, Dr. Atkin's wrote.

and...

I cannot take 1 or 2 days off from this diet, I tried and it does not work for me.

I apologize if I sounded short.

oliversmum
Old 07-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bojojohn
I did that this weekend and last--did the meal plan strictly from Monday thru Friday and then ate sensible meals on the weekend--salads, some rice, and lots of veggies, including carrots.

I would like to go on all the way, but every weekend we are camping and it is very difficult buying individual food for everyone around the bonfire! Maybe at the end of summer this won't be a problem anymore.

At any rate, I've noticed a significant 'inch' loss in my pants this past week. I haven't stepped on the scale yet this week cuz I want to not be obsessed with the scale anymore and start listening to what my body feels.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:27 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: caters
Stats: 201.2/184.8/155.0
WOE: Paleo/Whole 30
I am currently testing out the 6 days on, 1 day off theory. I noticed the last two times I "cheated", I lost that week after having been stuck at the same weight. I am not going crazy- just one or two meals with some carbs. Yesterday I had a baked potato with lunch, and then pizza for dinner. I am up two pounds today (same as last times) but will let you know what happens. This is my theory: When I have a planned cheat, once my body gets backinto ketosis it burns incredibly fast the first few days, and then levels off to maybe a pound or two every few weeks. As long as I don't overdue it and cheat for three or four days, even if I gain a pound or two, I will lose up to 5 that week, giving me a net loss. Again, just my thoery. The main problem with this method is being able to jump back in on Monday- I don't seem to have a problem, but then again I've only just started trying this.

Cate
Started 05/15/03
206/192/155
caters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:30 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nikoroo
Stats: 229/225/120
Start Date: uhhh....which time?
Everyone is different, I am sure there are some people who can do some days on and some days off, but for me that would send me into a carb spiral. I can have an off day every great once in a while, but I have to jump right back into induction afterwards otherwise I am a carb craving wildwoman.
nikoroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:43 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: raindropple
Stats: 203/200/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 3, 05 (restart after having baby)
Im not trying to brag, bc it doesnt always work this way for me, but I cheated all day saturday and sunday and did not gain. Im actually down a half pound today. I think my body had got into a rut and needed a break. Last time I cheated big, I gained 2 lbs, so I definitely feared the scale this morning. I dont plan on cheating like that again for a long time. Back on plan today.
raindropple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 11:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CreamDraft
I would love to be able to do 5/2, or a 6/1, if I ever get to maintenance level. I will give it a try anyway.
I also notice that when I get stuck at the same weight
for a while, that if I throw in a high carb meal, that it
does seem to trigger my body into starting to lose again.
It doesnt always work, so I dont have my body signals
down perfectly, but it works often enough to make me wonder
what is going on.

It will be interesting to see if it works out.

Lisa
CreamDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:02 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lkmjbc3
The cycle diet is very popular with body builders. They tend to do a two weeks straight then 2 days off cycle. I would think that this would be great for those lifting or exercising heavily.

lkmjbc3
lkmjbc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:02 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmunahD
Stats: 5 '9 250/245/210
WOE: LC
Start Date: 9/3/2012
Just my 2 cents...I wish I could do that..but I can't. I tried. I would lose 5 pounds during the week and gain back 5 pounds every weekend. So, in short..it did nothing for me. This is why I am still at the same weight 2 years later.

My step-brother lost 50 pounds on atkins, and he maintains by eating l/c M-F and whatever on the weekends.

If it works for you, do it!! You won't know unless you try!
EmunahD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:04 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jamaicajn
As long as you continue to lose weight, don't go overboard and are disciplined enough to get back on Monday morning, I think its an excellent idea. I subscribe to the theory that carbs are addicting (especially sugars and starches) and thats where I get into trouble. I find I have to go off every 7 or 8 weeks anyway because I stop losing weight. A few days off gets the metabolism back to burning calories again.
jamaicajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: desertgirl
Stats: 137/104/108 goal met 6/29/03
WOE: Starting JUDDD at 107.8 lbs 5/8/13.
Start Date: Original start date 3/03 - Atkins
I used to do that. Before I had my first child I would eat low carb during the week and then eat whatever I wanted for a couple of meals on the weekend. I maintained my weight fine. But, I've since learned that this can cause havok with cholestrol levels (thanks for that info, Dottie! ) so I don't plan on doing that this time around. Right now, since I'm pretty much done with weight loss, I'm sticking to low carb, but am not going to worry if I go off here and there. I have a wedding to attend this Friday and I'll enjoy a piece of cake.

Good luck with whatever path you choose, but if you do cycle, you might want to keep an eye on your cholestrol.

Oh, and I did maintain my weight fine until I got pregnant with my first child and completely went off low carb for more than four years!

Starting IF - 08/18/08
Re-start with JUDDD - 5/8/13.
desertgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:10 PM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: isellhouses
Stats: 22/16/14 (75 lbs. down) 5'11"..back up 20
Start Date: May 16, 2003
The 2 times I have been at the same weight for longer than 2 weeks, I have had an unplanned cheat and lost 5-7 lbs. within a few days of going back to LCing.

I'm glad you brought this up, because I want to try having a carb meal occassionally and see what happens. Read DANDR about the "Heller" method. This is sort of the same principle.
isellhouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:14 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kvalhion
Stats: 279/245.4/179
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/26/03
To be honest, I don't see a good reason why to take any days off while doing Atkins. Keep in mind that the Atkins WOL is not just about losing weight, but being healthy as well. To continually switch back and forth in extremes between your body using fat as an energy source and using carbs as an energy source probably wouldn't achieve the same results not for just weight loss, but for blood pressure, cholesterol, heart health, etc. I haven't seen any studies or heard from many people who try taking one or two days for eating off plan each week, so this is more my opinion than anything.

The reason I do not see taking days off as necessary is because there are so many low-carb alternatives to the foods that are being listed as eaten responsibly. In other words, if you want to take a break from the traditional foods, why not bake a low carb pizza? Or a cheesecake? Or cookies? Or fried shrimp/chicken? Why not have some low carb ice cream with low carb toppings?

I guess it is really up to each person, and depends upon their motivation for following this WOE. For me, I am too concerned about my health (not just weight) to tweak something that works so well for me. However, I am a strong advocate of each person finding what works best for themselves and sticking with that.

For those who plan to do a 6 days on / 1 day off type of thing, let us know how you are doing and good luck!
Kvalhion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:23 PM   #16
Tarana

Gallery: Tarana
I haven't read all the responses, but it probably is more effective than not doing any reduction in carbohydrates. Much depends on how long it takes you to get back into ketosis. Part of the goal though is health--spiking your blood sugar every weekend may/may not be beneficial for you.

Here's a camping food list (it is generalized, not low carb). I see a good assortment of lower carb things to balance out the higher carb things.

http://www.allrecipes.com/cb/w2m/wee...ng/default.asp

I go car camping and learned long ago to leave behind the processed food--I'd just be hungrier and more inclined to snack. Brought along everything in a can - green beans, meat, etc. I did use potatoes, but only one small one per person per day. I also skipped the bread, although now and then we'd stop at a grocery store and get a french bread, make a giant sandwich and split it up between us. Some of these ideas may keep you from falling out of ketosis or at least help you plan.

Take care,
Stephanie
Old 07-14-2003, 12:53 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: t_tom_LC
Stats: 246/Low 170's/175
WOE: Lo-Carb my way
Start Date: March 2003
I would love to be able to do that once I get to my goal but I would have a hard time stopping at just 1-2 days a week. That may turn into 3-4 days a week and so on and so forth and a year later you can't get into your 38's.

Another poster was worried about this for health reasons. I never thought of that!!! I just took my blood pressure after lunch today and it was 124/78. My heart rate was 58 beats per minute.

I lost this weight fast and I'm sure I could put it on fast if I lost my mind. At this point there is no reason for me to eat any different on the weekends. I want LC to be my regular WOE!

Regards,

Tom
Old 07-14-2003, 01:36 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: caters
Stats: 201.2/184.8/155.0
WOE: Paleo/Whole 30
Thanks for all the good advice and different view points- I know I shouldn't say this, but my main goal right now is pounds and not my cholesterol, et al. Yikes- I know. I guess what it comes down to is if I can get away with cheating once a week, I am going to do it! Will post my progress.

Cate
caters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:20 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheida
Start Date: 9/3/2003
I've been doing strict Atkins for about three months. I lost about thirty lbs. Then I read about a new study where women lost 16 lbs in ten weeks by eating 1700 calories and 170 carbs per day. Average carb intake for most people is about 300. I take my carb intake average for the week rather than daily and I've been staying under 170 carbs. Some days are higher, some days are lower but on a weekly average I've been eating between 70 and 80 carbs a day. Since I've been doing this I have been losing about one lb. a week and I'm eating very sensibly. I think I could do this forever and not feel deprived. If I stop losing than I will go back to strict Atkins.
Sheida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:44 PM   #20

Gallery: LC Lifer
Body-builders do this, but it's not french fries and shakes on the carb-up days. It's high carbs and low fat, above maintenance level calories. The only thing overeating fat AND carbs will do is make you fat. That's how most of us got here in the first place.
LC Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:01 PM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: isellhouses
Stats: 22/16/14 (75 lbs. down) 5'11"..back up 20
Start Date: May 16, 2003
I knew a body-builder who did this and didn't eat low fat. He ate whatever he wanted for 2 hours every Saturday....and it was usually a whole pizza.
isellhouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:30 PM   #22

Gallery: LC Lifer
Two hours isn't two days. Actually, the whole Heller's Carb Addicts Diet is based around a limited amount of 'cheat' time per day. Used to be unlimited, now it's more controlled.

And Arnold could get away with eating whatever he wanted for two days a week too, I'd imagine. But we don't have his muscles, nor his male physiology. Man's metabolism is also just naturally higher than woman's due to more lean body mass and lack of predominant estrogen. Men are lucky!
LC Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:48 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lissame
Stats: 280/269/160
Start Date: 04/03/2006
A male friend of mine lost 55lbs in 3 months two years ago doing very strict to no carbs 5 days a week and then high carbs on the weekends. His ethnic background made it very difficult for him to follow low carb 100%, as being Puerto Rican every single meal was served with a huge helping of rice and beans and then a lil meat on the side. He was also a body builder and this seemed to serve him well. So far - 2 years later, he has maintained his weight and continues to eat this way.

Unfortunately for me - I don't have his metabolism or his willpower - one cheat and I know I'm goin over the edge.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OmegaZeroX
WOE: no-carb, 1 cheat day a month.
Start Date: feb. 27
self control

diets and rehabs share 2 things in common; self control, and self confidence.
these both support each other. Your self confidence, should say something along the lines of being "above" what you are trying to quit. Your self control can build from that, and reinforce it.(as well as keep attidutes in check, other people have other diets, we should never look done on those who are different)

Me I know my limits, I take the 10th of each month, I get 1 meal on that day that I can eat whatever. Due to my lack of control, I then lock myself in my room for the rest of the day, and do push ups and alot of other exsercises.

The second thing is that you have burn the calories you eat. the third is like detox, forbiding carbs, for a couple days. if you are in a religion/group that has fasting, this is perfect for you. Instead of snacks, water speeds up the motabilizm(spelling bites). just make sure you balance your carbs, to few can be as dangerous as to many.
OmegaZeroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
For me, it's a health issue. Carbs are poison. It would be saying I would take 5 days off arsenic then 2 days taking it. At least that is how I see it now. The last time I did LC, I lost 200 pounds in about a year and a half, but I did cheat and never learned the good habits, so I promptly gained it all back.

Why take 2 days off? This is not a diet, but a way of life now for you. I do agree an occasional meal won't hurt you (I had cake on my birthday and felt like crap after) but a day becomes, 2, then 3, then a week, you see the trend? Do what works for you, but do be careful.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
I know this thread has sparked a lot of 'thought', but I can't resist my 2 cents.

I can not eat bread, rice, potatoes or sweets. My blood pressure goes up, my cravings come back, my weight jumps up, and I'm miserable and hungry.

Now having written that... I can have fruit in a protein smoothie and that doesn't mess me up. I don't think I'm really ever in hard ketosis... I eat at least 50 carbs per day. Under that I'm sick. It's complicated but true. I'm 'one of those' that says they can't do induction level carbs and I'm not making excuses... it's true. I will go into such a fit of diarrhea that within 36 hours I'm dehydrated and heading for the ER.

But with 50 carbs or more I'm not sick and I do lose weight. Again, I think the newest Atkins book shows that you can reduce carbs and lose weight and find better health. There isn't 'one size fits all' in much of anything in life and I believe LC'ing is one of those.

So, if you want to up your carbs, keep records, see how you feel and make wise choices as to what carbs you choose.
NeGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MissG
Stats: 278/ 278 /170
WOE: Olivia's WOE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweebles View Post
For me, it's a health issue. Carbs are poison. It would be saying I would take 5 days off arsenic then 2 days taking it. At least that is how I see it now. The last time I did LC, I lost 200 pounds in about a year and a half, but I did cheat and never learned the good habits, so I promptly gained it all back.

Why take 2 days off? This is not a diet, but a way of life now for you. I do agree an occasional meal won't hurt you (I had cake on my birthday and felt like crap after) but a day becomes, 2, then 3, then a week, you see the trend? Do what works for you, but do be careful.

I sooo agree!!!!!!!
MissG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tony_Dee
Stats: 220/155/145
WOE: Atkins/Carb Cycling
Start Date: Restarted Jan 2009
I'n glad someone resurrected this thread! Yes its a bodybuilders diet and I've been doing it for several months. For me, I can't lose weight doing it, but it does help for weight training. When trying to lose weight, Atkins straight thru, then when I'm at my desired weight I cycle.
Tony_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs_Potato_Head
Stats: 467/450/143-154?
Start Date: 2 March 2013
Oh, wouldn't it be nice , but no way I could do that. One, the carbs I like to eat are in NO way healthy at all - hot chips with enough salt to kill a lobster, more hot chips, and then bread swimming in butter. Not only that, but years of experience have told me I am addicted to carbs.

One bite would have me right back to the begining lodged deep carb hell with a three handfulls of hot chips shoved in my mouth. Still, envy those that can...lucky sods.
Mrs_Potato_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnneEliot
Start Date: 10/27/09
Another vote for "I personally wouldn't do this." I feel like I finally have the key to my personal success for health and healthy weight, and I know how easy it would be to fall off this wagon -- I remember how easiliy I fell off any number of wagons in the past. Maybe the day will come when I'm disciplined enough to do it, but maybe not. The very idea scares me, to be honest; it would be, for me, just a recipe to screw this up, maybe massively.

BUT if I were going to do it, I would up my carbs by adding back stuff I don't really like all that much, like rice and beans. Not bread, and certainly not desserty baked goodies. Maybe then it would be easier to switch back and forth?
AnneEliot is offline   Reply With Quote