Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Low Carb Success Stories!!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: golite
Stats: 333/325/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct 2003/Aug 2007
I get a woosh from maltitol. Of course that's nothing to brag about
golite is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lynda99
Different sugar alcohols are like night and day.

Before you can discuss them, you have to understand that they have different chemistries. Look up the glycemic index of each. Some of you are comparing apples and oranges.

Maltitol has no effect on some people. It makes me have poosplosions. I can, however, eat erythritol (GL 0) with no problem.
Lynda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: badgerbabe287
Stats: 155/135/130 5'8"
Start Date: January 2008/restarted June 2010
i will never eat anything with maltitol, it is not worth the horrible stomach cramping which will come twenty minutes after eating a small amount yuck! Im much better off making my own low carb treats using splenda
badgerbabe287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: layla17
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbabe287 View Post
i will never eat anything with maltitol, it is not worth the horrible stomach cramping which will come twenty minutes after eating a small amount yuck! Im much better off making my own low carb treats using splenda
I have the same problem. My stomach hurts horribly after I eat the tiniest piece of something with maltitol in it, so I make my own treats.
layla17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamcrazy
Stats: 299/299/150
WOE: Keto
Start Date: September 23, 2012
Really??? Thats helpful to know, thanks!
iamcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yellarose
Stats: 252/252/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 8/29/2012
I made the mistake of ordering a coffee at my local Books-A-Million and asked them to add one of their sugar free syrups. I chose chocolate. It was by a brand called Monin. No less than an hour after finishing my coffee I had some MAJOR stomach issues going on. I looked up Monin chocolate syrup online and ingredient #1 is MALTITOL!!! I am so upset because this morning my ketostix were testing dark purple and now they're barely showing trace. I've been in potty hell for about 3 hours now...the guy added waaaay too much syrup.

I'm considering this a lesson learned, but it's really upsetting that it happened. Ah well, now I know to stick with Starbucks and their DaVinci syrups that are sweetened with Splenda.
yellarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amandy
Malitol makes me ill if I eat too much of it, have never had a reaction with just one item.

I frankly think it is better to use the teeniest bit of natural honey for sweetening but for artificial, Splenda seems safest.
Amandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Malitol recks havoc on my stomach and colon, but I find I get really constipated doing LoW Carb so it is like a necessary evil, but man it does a number on ya!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: 215/152.6/150 5'9"
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Doesn't bother me in small doses, in large ones, get out of the way, RR here I come!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
My worst experience with Maltitol was after having a SF dessert at Applebee's. We were out with friends, and they recommended the dessert, saying I'd never believe how wonderful it was. And it WAS wonderful. But I got so sick on the way home, and stayed sick all night. At 1 AM the phone rang and it was my friend. She said, "I wouldn't have called at this hour, except I knew you'd be up!" I asked her if we all had food poisoning and she laughed and said, "No... it's the maltitol!" Then she went on to say that she had forgotten that's what they sweetened that dessert with. I don't know how she could forgoet, 'cuz I never will!

I can usually have 1/2 to one full piece of candy, such as a piece of SF Russell Stover's, without having problems. But if I try to have even a tiny bit more in the same day, I have major problems.
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
UGH... Finally found the reason for my *almost* stall... stupid Maltitol. Crap. Guess I'll give them all to my Mother for Mother's day. With her other present, of course! (She eats the stuff because she's diabetic.)
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OTRChef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayeshashutu View Post
Not all Atkins bars have maltitol in them, only the Endulge and the Peanut Butter cups... Atkins Advantage Bars are great for a meal replacement...

If your family doesn't have problems with it, that's great.. I moderate on two other forums and I don't have a single lady who can eat maltitol or isomalt without stalling... My aunt lost 30 lbs and then stalled for 6 staright months after she started eating carbolite bars. Once she ditched the bars, the weight loss resumed within a couple of days...

Like I said though - it's just "most" people that stall on them and the other thread really explains more of why this happens... For those who can eat it - more power to them!!! That's great that they can eat those products without stalling
Atkins Advantage Bars have 10g of sugar alcohol and are recommended for ALL phases of the Adkins Diet.
OTRChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OTRChef
Coupling Sugars

I have found, the best way to use ANY sugar substitute is to couple it with another sugar substitute. I have eaten maltitol for at least 12 years now and never have had an unpleasant episode. However, I rarely eat maltitol by itself. In most of my recipes I couple it with Splenda. Also, the maltitol I use most frequently HoneyTree's Sugar-Free Honey is already coupled with acesulfame K.
Be sure you are getting adequate fiber in your diet if you wish to eat sugar alcohols. Fiber will clean your intestines of any unabsorbed SA's.
Fact is, nobody has ever died from eating sugar alcohols...yet thousands die every year from eating sugar! Stay focused and find a safe sugar sub that you can tolerate. Unlike Splenda, sugar alcohols are great for baking low-carb goodies! BTW, maltitol has only 2.1kcal/g vs sugars 4kcal/g; so it is low calorie too!
"Occasional or even regular consumption of maltitol is not associated with severe digestive symptoms", according to the National Institutes of Health. In both patterns of maltitol consumption, diarrhea frequency is higher than sugar consumption, but it appeared only for very high doses (92g+) of maltitol.

Last edited by OTRChef; 06-29-2013 at 07:43 AM..
OTRChef is offline   Reply With Quote