Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Low Carb Success Stories!!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: libbby
Stats: too much/140
WOE: KD
Sage Advice from Big Losers(50 +)

I would love to hear from people who have lost 50 or more pounds. Some things I would love to know are:
-were there trigger foods for a stall or trigger foods that broke a stall
-what did alcohol do to weight loss
-how did different sweeteners affect weight loss
-what were your 5 go to meals that got you through your journey
-what are 5 tips you'd give a wanna be loser
-did you ever stop dairy, wheat, coffee, or alcohol…. did you notice any differences
-did anything seem to trigger whoosh days
-describe weight loss month to month, was it slow at first… then steady, slow and steady all the way, etc….
-what were you doing when your loss was the steadiest

I feel like you've been there, you know what works and what doesn't ( I realize it'll be different for each individual) but I want to learn what worked for you.
You are my hero!

Last edited by libbby; 04-02-2014 at 11:31 AM..
libbby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Ahh... I just saw this! I wasn't sure it got posted. I sent it in as an idea.
Where are you 50 plus losers? This is the only place where loser has a positive connotation! I see posts from people who have been there and lost 50 plus pounds. Even if you've gained some back. I want to learn from your successes. There are plenty of views but no posts yet. So other people want to learn too. Share with us!!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I'm not getting advice from anyone, I know I always check when someone has lost a lot of weight, looking for stall tips, fat fast results, alcohol experience, berry carbs, etc. I was hoping they'd sound in here with advice for us who are in the throes of daily choices, stalls, and potential setbacks. So what I've decided I'd do for now, is cut and paste things from people who have lost, Century clubbers and the like, to help get me through to where they are.... Here is the first:
from Z,
"If I was to name three things to do or to think when starting that have helped me the most and that I practice every day I would say:
1) One day at a time, one meal at a time-not looking at the big picture and getting overwhelmed......
2) Plan ahead, cook meals ahead, always be prepared for any situation that involves eating......
3) Whether just starting out, 1/2 way there, or maintaining the weight lost-accept and love yourself for who you are TODAY as you are now, look in the mirror and tell yourself you're worth it, your family is worth it, YOUR LIFE IS WORTH IT!"
Old 04-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

If you have something you've taken from someone else who's lost a lot, and it's helped you -- could you paste it in here?
I would love to see this take off-- I get more from people who have been there, done that than anything else.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

From Jared 6102:
"f I was to name three things to do or to think when starting that have helped me the most and that I practice every day I would say:
1) One day at a time, one meal at a time-not looking at the big picture and getting overwhelmed......
2) Plan ahead, cook meals ahead, always be prepared for any situation that involves eating......
3) Whether just starting out, 1/2 way there, or maintaining the weight lost-accept and love yourself for who you are TODAY as you are now, look in the mirror and tell yourself you're worth it, your family is worth it, YOUR LIFE IS WORTH IT!"
Old 04-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

From SBelleConnie:
"Some things I wish I would have done along the way are
to have kept a food journal and to have done measurements.

The things I did do were to stick to plan like glue, to drink my water and take my supplements.
I keep food prepared always no exceptions. I try to keep variety in my menu too.
I dont do treats the sweet ones just send me into craving more.

Its such a great feeling to have control over my eating.
I am EATING to LIVE instead of LIVING TO EAT."
Old 04-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

From SharimCK(375/225):
"After induction, I decided to remain at 20 grams of carbs per day as a general rule. However, I didn’t stick to just the food on the induction list. I added berries and cantaloupe. I added sugar-free jello (sweetened with splenda) and a few sugar-free treats. I also added in diet pop (but only moderate amounts as they contain aspartame and aspartame definitely doesn’t like me!) I counted carbs only… I didn’t count fat grams… I didn’t count protein grams and I didn’t count calories and I managed to lose an average of 10 lbs a month.

As I continued on this WOE I noticed like everyone else here that felt so much better…. healthier than I had in years, I feel like I can really breathe again.

I have had only one “cheat day” since I started which was planned from the beginning. For my birthday in August (when I had lost 50lbs) we went out for Vietnamese food at my favorite restaurant….. I ate salad rolls dipped in peanut sauce and lots of other forbidden goodies. That night, I felt so bloated…. So sick…. And so sticky from all the sugar that I realized I never wanted to “cheat” like that again…. And I haven’t.

We eat out quite often, both fast food and regular restaurants. At the fast food places I always order a double burger, no ketchup, no bun. Sometimes I get some really strange looks, other times, they just nod and process the order. When we go out to a restaurant, I order some sort of meat or chicken with veggies and salad.

I have even managed to stay on the plan during vacations…. We went down to the Oregon coast last August and to Disneyland in the fall. I carefully made my food choices and I still stayed under 20 carbs per day. I carried around macadamia nuts and almonds in my purse so I wouldn’t reach for just anything if I was hungry. And I made sure I ate regularly so I wouldn’t be tempted if I was starving. It only took a little planning to stay on track.

I have never looked at this WOE as being deprived of certain foods… I concentrate on what I’m allowed to eat…. Not on what I cannot eat. My friends at work are all doing Weight Watchers and at times they moan and complain about the food they get to eat, or lack of food they wish they could eat….. and here I am munching on my nuts, having real cream in my decaf coffee, cheese and lots of other goodies that they have to limit. I love the foods we get to eat. And I don’t miss the foods we cannot eat. Sometimes when my family is eating something I cannot have… I ask them if I can smell it… I know… that seems weird… but when I hold a couple of those deep fried french fries or piece of cake up to my nose and take a great big sniff…. I immediately remember exactly what I used to feel like whenever I used to eat them…. Bloated and sick.

I always eat until I’m full, which I’m finding comes a lot sooner now …. I used to be able to sit down at dinner and pack away 2 or 3 plates of food…. Now I’m lucky if I get through just one! I also make a point to eat whenever I’m hungry… even it it is almost bedtime… if my body is hungry… I need to feed it.

Up until now, I had not been exercising very much, but my husband and I started walking last month, about two or three times a week after dinner…. And it has had a tremendous effect on us…. We breathe easier, we sleep better and it has definitely helped me with losing weight."
Old 04-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

From Ladybug1(200 plus?):
"Some weeks I didn't lose anything and it seemed like I would never make it and other weeks I would have 6 or 8 lb loss and before you know it, time was flying by and I was at 70 down, then 80, then 90. I cut out all dairy because that seems to make me lose slower, if not stall me all together. I eat vegetables the first two days after I get weighed and then I don't for the next 5 days because it seems to slow me down also. I lose my fastest when I eat beef (and all this time they were saying beef is bad for you, HA!). I take Atkins Basic 3, essential oils, basic anti-ox and l-carnitine. I have not exercised yet but I can tell that I can get around so much easier. "
Old 04-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

From snowrose(102 +):
"With relief, I watched as 11 pounds melted away within 2 weeks - and I didn't even have to watch my calories! Another 2 weeks and another 11 pounds melted away!! I was in heaven!! I was eating the same amount of food that 'normal' people eat but I was losing weight! Then, with no warning, even though I was eating completely clean Induction with no cheats and no treats, things changed. I'd been on LCF for 3 weeks and learned a lot (thanks especially to folks like bonbon and Dottie ), so I said to myself "Post-Induction Plateau" and settled in to wait it out. One week, two, three, four - after waiting a full 5 weeks, still no change in weight or inches! All that time I was waiting I was reading on the boards about the recommended tweaks that folks were doing when they encountered stalls. I tried each one for the recommended two weeks - higher carbs, lower carbs, higher basal calories (that only lasted 5 days, with a 5 pound gain!), lower calories, etc. Nothing made any difference.

I'd read through DANDR more than once and, having marked lots of pages with tabs, was constantly referring to it. Finally, I decided to try the Atkins Fat Fast (pg 272), for metabolically resistant people. Dr.A saw it as a last resort for those who can't lose any other way. After a few days I realized that my breath odor had changed (when DH said something ) and I began to lose weight slowly. It was then that I realized that I hadn't been in ketosis the entire time I'd been on regular Atkins!

Through experience, I began to learn when it was easier for me to lose and when it was hard (when my estrogen levels are rising, just before TOM). I started developing more extended menus for Fat Fast, usually alternating 3-4 days on with 4-3 days off each week. And as I became more accustomed to having to lose that way (and as I began to crave more variety) I switched from Fat Fast/Induction to Fat Fast/Ongoing Weightloss.
On Atkins, I've now lost a total of 102.5 pounds. In the last 12 months I've lost 80.5 pounds cycling between Atkins' Fat Fast and regular Atkins. (And that includes taking a month and a half off of Fat Fast to enjoy lots of low carb goodies during the Christmas Holidays!!). Not counting during TOM, I've lost anywhere from 3-8 pounds in 3 to 4 days on Fat Fast. With constantly working to up my carbs during my OWL days, I'm finally able to maintain my weight pretty well while eating between 30 and 40 grams of carbs (but I still have to watch my calories). With work, I'm hoping to raise my carbs quite a bit higher. The one true godsend is that I can now eat somewhat higher calories (1300-1600) than I used to and still maintain my weight! It's wonderful to be able to eat much more closely to what is considered a 'normal' amount of food!!!

I hope recounting what I've gone through is a help to someone. For those who are stalling and becoming discouraged, stay true to your WOE, try following the recommended tweaks, and give them the full amount of time you're supposed to. For those who can lose on regular low carb, even if it's slowly, be very thankful!! Even with the new, more extensive menus, Fat
Fasting *is* hard, tiresome work maintaining day-in and day-out low calorie levels and high fat, and those of us who have to do that do feel deprived to some extent. (Some times more than others.) But it's wonderful that even during Fat Fast I can have things like flax cereal, muffins, cornbread, brownies, cheesecake, and even lc bread pudding!! And - my gosh - in the end it's so worth it!!"
Old 04-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

From Jaxy(100+):
By eating less than 20 carbs per day, I lost 22 additional pounds over the next two months.

Then the weight loss stalled. BIG TIME. For ten weeks. Lowering carbs, increasing fat, monitoring protein – none of that mattered or made a difference. I knew I had to exercise if I was going to see any REAL results.

April 16th, I saw the beginning of my walking regime. Three miles a day, every day. Weekends included. I figure if I was going to be serious about this whole thing, I may as well be committed. No days off! The only person I’d be cheating is myself, and who would care? Well, as it turns out, I care and, to me at the time, that’s the only person who mattered.

Exercising every day, every single day, is not easy. Believe me when I say I hated it. I hated every freakin’ minute of it! I’d curse myself driving home from a long, tiring day at work knowing those miles awaited me. Then I got to thinking… there are days I curse the alarm clock for going off because I know I have a day of work ahead of me that I’d rather not do. I curse the chores I have to do when I’d rather goof off. All the cursing in the world isn’t going to earn me a paycheck, nor is it going to get my home or laundry clean. I do these things because I have to. These things are part of my life.

That’s what exercise became to me: a part of my life that I have to do. As much as I hate it, I have no excuse good enough not to do it and every reason to do it.

After eight weeks of daily walking, I was down to 180 pounds and a size 10. I hadn’t seen a size 10 in my whole adult life! Putting on that size for the first time made me giggle and cry at the same time. I couldn’t believe it. From then on, it became a game for me. A game to see how much success I could have.

I began walking five miles a day. After a couple weeks and a very few pounds gone, I began walking SIX miles a day. It was then that I decided to limit my caloric intake to 1500 a day. The weight began dropping off rapidly again.

By October, I was weighing in at 152 pounds and wearing a size 6. I had lost 102 pounds in eleven months. As much as people seem to be amazed by this, there is no one more stunned than I am. Considering how well I know me, and how lazy I am, and how undetermined I can be, and how easily frustrated I am, this is an accomplishment I never thought I’d be able to claim as my own.

To date, I have lost an additional six pounds and am still wearing a size 6. My goal weight is 135, but reaching that goal has become secondary to maintaining, which I seem to be accomplishing quite nicely.

My one piece of advice: Never give up. Please do not believe for one second that I am the exception. I’m not. If I did this, you can, too. Determination, persistence, exercising and low-carbing. It really IS that simple."
Old 04-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Stalled(can't find who I copied this from):

"You might need to cut back on protein and increase your percentage fat to compensate. For some of us, keeping carbs (and calories) low is not enough.

I'm 5'3", pretty active (walk 5-7 miles/day), and I have to limit my protein to 50-55 grams/day to lose. If your body is used to eating lowcarb, it may have gotten very good at turning protein into glucose, prompting an insulin response and blocking fat loss if you are very insulin resistent. (You probably are, if lowcarb is the only way you've been able to lose weight. That's true for me, as well.)

You may want to check out the nutritional ketosis challenge thread; a number of people who stalled or started gaining on lowcarb are finding good results with limiting protein as well as carbs (and some are using a blood meter to test for ketosis level). The nutritional ketosis challenge thread is long, but there's lots of good information there, from people who have been in a situation similar to yours.

Also, check out the Jimmy Moore interview of Dr. Stephen Phinney on "Ask the Low Carb Experts" podcast to hear some expert opinion on the need for some of us to limit protein as well as carbs (and possibly calories). Googling "Ask the Low Carb Experts Phinney" should bring it up."
Old 04-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tish437
Libbby, I have read every work and got so much encouragement in your posts. Thank you.
Tish437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Thank you!! I was beginning to think no one was going to respond. I'd really love to get a few who have lost a good amount of weight so that they could impart some of their wisdom. I have lots of questions for them! maybe I need to go to some of the 50 and 100 plus threads and ask them to stop by.
Thanks for the positive feedback. I had just gone through some old posts(from big losers) and found some, what I thought, valuable advice.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbby View Post
Thank you!! I was beginning to think no one was going to respond. I'd really love to get a few who have lost a good amount of weight so that they could impart some of their wisdom. I have lots of questions for them! maybe I need to go to some of the 50 and 100 plus threads and ask them to stop by.
Thanks for the positive feedback. I had just gone through some old posts(from big losers) and found some, what I thought, valuable advice.
Lost 235 pounds with a lap band.
It is a tool. One can still defeat ones' self, should you not follow a low carb lifestyle...... my band, helps with maintenance, which is another animal entirely.
Losing weight=subset of problems to solve prior to reaching one's goal.
Maintenance=trading these problems for a new subset of problems. No cure all.
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jerseygirl1981
Stats: 406/313/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: January 1 2014
I enjjoy this post.

Ten years ago i lost 85 pounds with clean atkins.

I lost my way. Got to 406 lbs.

Was sleeved in 2010. Got to 285. Had 2nd baby. Back up to 330.

Currently at 316.

I dont consider myself a success. But the ups and downs Ican say there were ups.
All Ican say is no one should give up on this goal.

Please keep copy pasting. If im ever on a pc i will contribute to. IIts hard on mobile
jerseygirl1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/197/200
WOE: Atkins (DANDR 2002)
Start Date: August 27th 2013
great inspiration in some of the posts here. thanks for sharing.
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/23%BF/20%BF Size 26/6-8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Quote:
I would love to hear from people who have lost 50 or more pounds. Some things I would love to know are:
-were there trigger foods for a stall or trigger foods that broke a stall-any type of processed carb-baked goods, cheat meal, etc, all caused an big stall and cravings. They're normal and part of the learning process, but not worth it!

-what did alcohol do to weight loss i didn't drink alcohol during this time.

-how did different sweeteners affect weight loss - i continued to use sweetnlow and Splenda all through my last 11 years, even aspartame in coke zero-no problems for me. I can't do CO or flax meal, and have found that the fake, frankenfoods-replacement bars, processed baked goods and creative LC recipes didn't work for me. Ymmv.
-what were your 5 go to meals that got you through your journey my favorite LC meals? Chicken Cesar salad, bunless bacon cheeseburger, steak ribeyes in particular, sf cheesecake, twice baked cauliflower and any type of salad!
-what are 5 tips you'd give a wanna be loser lets see...
1. It's a marathon, NOT a sprint! It will take time, we're all impatient, we want to be smaller NOW. not gonna happen.
2. Slow and steady wins the race-like above, slow is good. Your skin will thank you for slow!
3. Get right back on the wagon when you fall (or jump) off. Back to clean eating right away. Don't use 1 cheat as a license to throw it all away. Nip it in the bud!
4. Exercise is good. Walking is wonderful! We all know how, and can do it! It's a great place to start, is good for you physically and mentally. It really helps with maintenance not losing more, but feeling and looking good .
5. Losing weight is the easy part. I know, if you're still looking at losing weight that sounds unbelievable. But it is true. Without the reward of the scale going down all the time, it's tough to stay motivated and be vigilant about your weight. It'll be a lifelong battle, 95% of people who lose weight gain it back . But, if you're mentally prepared and have a good plan, you can be the 5%. It's worth it!!

-did you ever stop dairy, wheat, coffee, or alcohol…. did you notice any differences i stopped almost all wheat and alcohol.(rare vacation or celebration exceptions) I'm a big dairy eater/drinker and coffee is my vice of choice!
-did anything seem to trigger whoosh days-patience, mixing up the calories, sometimes just eating MORE helped
-describe weight loss month to month, was it slow at first… then steady, slow and steady all the way, etc…. first 2 weeks was great, 12 lbs!! Then it slowed a lot. The it picked up and was pretty steady about 2lbs a week
-what were you doing when your loss was the steadiest - nothign special. Sticking to Atkins, and living my life well

I feel like you've been there, you know what works and what doesn't ( I realize it'll be different for each individual) but I want to learn what worked for you.
You are my hero!
Well, I can answer some of these for you . See my answers in bold above.
I lost about 100 lbs with Atkins over a year's timeframe...from July 2003 to juliy 2004. Truthfully, I think your first shot at low carb is your best. I lost well, and consistently. I loved not counting calories and learned what I could eat and enjoy while still losing. Atkins has been a huge life changer for me, and my family.

I have not be able to get below 170ish on LC. I've been following the hcg plan for the last 20-30lbs. It's tough, and a big challenge, but it is the only thing has worked well for me to get down this far.

Trust me, I'm hormonally imbalance and hypothyroid. If I can do it, anyone can!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...l#post17065682
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dunginhawk
-were there trigger foods for a stall or trigger foods that broke a stall -- Maltitol, Carb quick *was desperately hoping it wasn't the case, as It was a nice gift).
-what did alcohol do to weight loss- I drink rarely - can't comment.
-how did different sweeteners affect weight loss- maltitol stalled me bad, OUT of ketosis bad - from the Atkins indulge bars.
-what were your 5 go to meals that got you through your journey
1. GLCBC Onion pockets with turkey and cheese and mayo. Sandwich
2. Omelettes
3. Steak and green beans
4. GLCBC bagel toasted w/ cream cheese
5. GLCBC pizza crust - w/ sauce, cheese, and meat.

-what are 5 tips you'd give a wanna be loser-
1. All or nothing. Can't half ass it. If you want to lose, commit to it. I lost 70lbs in 3 months.
2. Get GLCBC items - super low carb, good tasting. No spike
3. Drink as much water as you can. I didn't do this, but I should have. Keeps u full and curbs appetite, which of course is good
4. NO CHEATING = period, NONE. Ketosis good, cheating = no ketosis = no fun
5. Set goals. I made a goal to not cheat until Jan 31 (from Jan 2). Jan 31st came and went and so did Feb 28, and march 28. 3 months no cheating.

-did you ever stop dairy, wheat, coffee, or alcohol…. did you notice any differences -- nope, ate it all. Not as much achohol tho.
-did anything seem to trigger whoosh days - what a whoosh day?
-describe weight loss month to month, was it slow at first… then steady, slow and steady all the way, etc….
1. Jan 41 lb.=- rocket fast. Body didn't change a lot, face got thinner not so much belly.
2. Feb 17 lb = slowed down but still good - fought through a stall brought on by carbquick or maltitol.
3. Mar 12 lb = steady. 12lb was to reach goal, so it took some time to get there. 185 was the goal.
-what were you doing when your loss was the steadiest - eating pure. Bacon, eggs, cheese, crabs under 10. Pure eating, no artificual
dunginhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MalteseMom
Stats: 174/139/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: September 2013
Hello, I'm Brenda

I'm new here and decided this is a good a place as any to jump in.

I've been celebrating my 35 lb weight loss since the end of September, but it struck me the other day that I've really lost a total of 50. I'm 66 years old, married and the mother of 2, grandmother of 4.

Twice in my life I've weighed 189 lbs. On a 5'3" frame, that's obese! The first time I lost almost 40 lbs the old fashion way of eating less, moving more. I remained at this weight for a number of years but I stopped losing because I was drinking a lot of calories. Didn't gain any more because I was dancing a lot as a country western dance competitor and choreographer and instructor as well as working 45-50 hours a week.

In 1997, I remarried after being divorced for 26 years. 99% of my burning-calories activities all but stopped and on top of that my health took a hit 18 months after I said I do. In 1999, I was diagnosed with cancer, in 2001 I had a non-cancer tumor in the auditory ear canal near the brain stem and had to have it removed, in 2004 I had L4-L5 fixation/fusion surgery on my back that left me with nerve damage and in 2007, I was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Needless to say during these years I steadily climbed back to 190 and crawled into a hopeless black place. I felt as if my life was done. I did manage to drop to 174 in 2011

Then one day I made Shepherd's Pie for dinner and had 2 wonderful buttery biscuits. Four hours later I wasn't feeling so good. I checked my blood pressure and glucose levels. My glucose level was at 250! A half hour later, it was 300. I was terrified. I called my doctors emergency number and was advised to drink lots of water and exercise. If it continued to climb, I was to go to the ER. My life changed that day. I prayed while I paced, frantically moving my arms to burn glucose. I had been warned for 45 years of impending diabetes. I chose to ignore the warnings. As the numbers dropped, my ability to think straight returned and I decided right then that it was past time for a change. And I began researching. Dieting was simply not a success-oriented activity in my life. I have absolutely no will power.

I found the Diabetes Forums website and found many understanding people there who, daily, patiently, steered me in the right direction. My WOE is LCHF and I love it. So at the end of September, I decided to cut down on the carbs. At that point my sole goal was to get my FBG into the normal range. I managed 2 weeks and was starving and knew I was losing the battle again. I turned to DF people and one suggested I increase the fat. That advise flew in the face of all thought I knew, but I was desperate and voila! It worked! I quickly lost 35 lbs. I'd still like to lose another 10 and can't seem to do, but I haven't given up. I'm just stalled. So now I'm searching for more inspiration to not only lose the last 10, but learn how to maintain.

My advise would be to be determined to keep moving forward in our goals. Stop the self-talk of "I can't". Accept the fact that you will eat differently than the rest of your family and friends. Eventually, others will join you. A friend has lost 26 lbs so far because I inspired her. How awesome is that! For the first time in my life I have a closet full of sizes 8 and 10s. The 10s are loose. Anyway, my go-to meal is bacon and egg white/spinach omelets. Yummy! Goodnight.

MalteseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I have gotten so much from this thread. Libbby, thank you for starting it.

Maltese, welcome! Your story was inspirational to me. Thank you for sharing it, and post often here!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Brenda, I keep thinking of what you said in your post:

Accept the fact that you will eat differently than the rest of your family and friends.

That means so much to me, that one line.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monets Muse
Stats: 5'1"
WOE: Low carb, high fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseMom View Post
My advise would be to be determined to keep moving forward in our goals. Stop the self-talk of "I can't". Accept the fact that you will eat differently than the rest of your family and friends. Eventually, others will join you. A friend has lost 26 lbs so far because I inspired her. How awesome is that! For the first time in my life I have a closet full of sizes 8 and 10s. The 10s are loose. Anyway, my go-to meal is bacon and egg white/spinach omelets. Yummy! Goodnight.

Monets Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MalteseMom
Stats: 174/139/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: September 2013
Quote:
Now do i feel so bad! No offence, but I made 3 posts and no one responded, not even to welcome me. If they did it was sent to me. Thought I offended someone when I told them I came from diabetesforums.com. Those people are super friendly and very helpful. You will find support there. Yes, it's a diabetic forum but they have many kinds of people, lifestyles andmethods as well as reason. Control glucose, lose weight recipes, chit chat. They'd love to hear from you. I'm going back. I'm not an Atkins person. I'm Low carb high fat. I came here for weight maintenance ideas etc.
MalteseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Hi Brenda and everybody and thanks for starting this thread Libby,
I've been reading this thread and found it to have the most informative information that I can really use.
It's hard finding a thread that fits but I enjoyed reading about all of the ideas here and hope to learn more.
I've been doing Atkins, the one called DANDR, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and I think the current Atkins is based on this diet when Atkins decided to add veggies.. I count carbs but not net carbs and try to stay within 20g. I like it because I love all vegetables and could never do the Atkins without veggies.
I've lost 30 pounds so far and started just before Thanksgiving 2013.
Since I joined this board I have learned so much and I have tried to up my fat as suggested but I'm not sure it's made a huge difference yet. I like the idea of the Atkins fat fast and I need to read my book to learn more about that.
Thanks everybody
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

MalteseMom, I did welcome you here, and made another comment on a post you made, above. Maybe you didn't see it because they're short posts. I hope you do feel welcome here; it's a friendly group.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
MalteseMom - I am signing in here new and loved your authenticity! I have been down, and up, and down, and now up again. I have been working on it and lost 13 lbs on my own in the past month or so....but I really want to be less than 188 SOON!! This AM I was 191.5; highest ever was a month ago at nearly 204.

I am on another site here that uses EFGT (Eat Fat Get Thin)....nice group of ladies. I think you'd like it. We are in the Pantalous month (I don't exactly remember the name of it!) Just checked: Shrinking Pantaloons is June Challenge.
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Keep it going...
We are like sponges just waiting to soak it up!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseMom View Post

I've been celebrating my 35 lb weight loss since the end of September, but it struck me the other day that I've really lost a total of 50. I'm 66 years old, married and the mother of 2, grandmother of 4.

Twice in my life I've weighed 189 lbs. On a 5'3" frame, that's obese! The first time I lost almost 40 lbs the old fashion way of eating less, moving more. I remained at this weight for a number of years but I stopped losing because I was drinking a lot of calories. Didn't gain any more because I was dancing a lot as a country western dance competitor and choreographer and instructor as well as working 45-50 hours a week.

In 1997, I remarried after being divorced for 26 years. 99% of my burning-calories activities all but stopped and on top of that my health took a hit 18 months after I said I do. In 1999, I was diagnosed with cancer, in 2001 I had a non-cancer tumor in the auditory ear canal near the brain stem and had to have it removed, in 2004 I had L4-L5 fixation/fusion surgery on my back that left me with nerve damage and in 2007, I was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Needless to say during these years I steadily climbed back to 190 and crawled into a hopeless black place. I felt as if my life was done. I did manage to drop to 174 in 2011

Then one day I made Shepherd's Pie for dinner and had 2 wonderful buttery biscuits. Four hours later I wasn't feeling so good. I checked my blood pressure and glucose levels. My glucose level was at 250! A half hour later, it was 300. I was terrified. I called my doctors emergency number and was advised to drink lots of water and exercise. If it continued to climb, I was to go to the ER. My life changed that day. I prayed while I paced, frantically moving my arms to burn glucose. I had been warned for 45 years of impending diabetes. I chose to ignore the warnings. As the numbers dropped, my ability to think straight returned and I decided right then that it was past time for a change. And I began researching. Dieting was simply not a success-oriented activity in my life. I have absolutely no will power.

I found the Diabetes Forums website and found many understanding people there who, daily, patiently, steered me in the right direction. My WOE is LCHF and I love it. So at the end of September, I decided to cut down on the carbs. At that point my sole goal was to get my FBG into the normal range. I managed 2 weeks and was starving and knew I was losing the battle again. I turned to DF people and one suggested I increase the fat. That advise flew in the face of all thought I knew, but I was desperate and voila! It worked! I quickly lost 35 lbs. I'd still like to lose another 10 and can't seem to do, but I haven't given up. I'm just stalled. So now I'm searching for more inspiration to not only lose the last 10, but learn how to maintain.

wow what a crazy few years you've had!! Good for you taking control of your health!! Thank you for sharing! Congratulations! And KUTGW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
Hi Brenda and everybody and thanks for starting this thread Libby,
I've been reading this thread and found it to have the most informative information that I can really use.
It's hard finding a thread that fits but I enjoyed reading about all of the ideas here and hope to learn more.
I've been doing Atkins, the one called DANDR, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and I think the current Atkins is based on this diet when Atkins decided to add veggies.. I count carbs but not net carbs and try to stay within 20g. I like it because I love all vegetables and could never do the Atkins without veggies.
I've lost 30 pounds so far and started just before Thanksgiving 2013.
Since I joined this board I have learned so much and I have tried to up my fat as suggested but I'm not sure it's made a huge difference yet. I like the idea of the Atkins fat fast and I need to read my book to learn more about that.
Thanks everybody
I am a DANDR fan too! Congratulations!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
MalteseMom - I am signing in here new and loved your authenticity! I have been down, and up, and down, and now up again. I have been working on it and lost 13 lbs on my own in the past month or so....but I really want to be less than 188 SOON!! This AM I was 191.5; highest ever was a month ago at nearly 204.

I am on another site here that uses EFGT (Eat Fat Get Thin)....nice group of ladies. I think you'd like it. We are in the Pantalous month (I don't exactly remember the name of it!) Just checked: Shrinking Pantaloons is June Challenge.
We've all been up and down and can completely understand!! You're on your way!! KUTGW!!

It really is a lifelong battle! So many of us start for vanity reasons, but stick with it for health reasons. It's great to live well and feel great, not hate the camera, actually be active with our families and not sit on the sidelines watching life go by! Grab it by the horns and live well!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Julie,
Funny when you said: "not hate the camera" because that is exactly
what made me decide to do something about my weight before it got too much more out of control. I looked at the pic. and said who is that?
That was it and I decided I wanted my old body back, even though it was never perfect, it was better than the condition I was in at 210 and only 5'4".
I guess I adapted because I really didn't feel the weight and I was still doing all of the things I used to do. I could climb stairs OK and garden like usual but the size of the clothes were just getting out of control and I could see it creeping up. So I got mentally ready, took out my old book and re-read it front to back, went grocery shopping, threw out all of the bread and crackers and never bought potatoes again.
That's it in a nutshell.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
Julie,
Funny when you said: "not hate the camera" because that is exactly
what made me decide to do something about my weight before it got too much more out of control. I looked at the pic. and said who is that?
That was it and I decided I wanted my old body back, even though it was never perfect, it was better than the condition I was in at 210 and only 5'4".
I guess I adapted because I really didn't feel the weight and I was still doing all of the things I used to do. I could climb stairs OK and garden like usual but the size of the clothes were just getting out of control and I could see it creeping up. So I got mentally ready, took out my old book and re-read it front to back, went grocery shopping, threw out all of the bread and crackers and never bought potatoes again.
That's it in a nutshell.
Good job! Finding that motivation to make a change is key to being successful!! I used to hide behind others in pictures! and I agree, when you don't notice the weight coming on it's hard to recognize and take control of it. I'm so glad you did!! WTG!!