Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Low Carb Success Stories!!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
Good job! Finding that motivation to make a change is key to being successful!! I used to hide behind others in pictures! and I agree, when you don't notice the weight coming on it's hard to recognize and take control of it. I'm so glad you did!! WTG!!
Julie, You did all of your weight loss on DANDR? That is great and I know it can be done this way. I know that I want to eat healthy for ever and doing this diet is a training me for the future.
Did you have any stalls along the way and if so what did you do?
So many things I've read confuse me. Increase the fat with more butter and coconut oil. I had already been using butter, But I lost the first 30 without any coconut oil. Is this supposed to be added along with the regular diet or in place of a meal?
Thanks
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
For me it's been about accepting that I don't eat the way everyone else does. I don't eat grains, sugars, or soy, so I cook almost all my food. The exception is homemade (by me) birthday cake once a year.

It's about health as much as weight, and I sometimes have to remind myself, "I'm eating for fuel."

There also has to be a shift in thinking from, "I shouldn't eat that," to "I don't eat that."

I lose weight better in the summer than in the winter, and my best weight loss was when I also went lower in calories.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Julie, Your loss is amazing. You should really feel proud of yourself. You look great!
Libby, I miss your posts. Ever since I found your thread I've been reading. Your losses are also amazing.
Both of you give me hope...
Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Although I've shed 50lbs and have now been in maintenance for approx. 1 year, I feel ill-equipped to give advice to others as weight-loss is such an individual journey with different starting points and modes for us all.

I think my strongest impression from my own experience is that it's too easy to be discouraged and to overlook present progress because eyes are so firmly fixed on the ultimate goal. I plateaued at 140lbs for a long time and allowed myself to be so discouraged that I gained 17lbs back over a year before I regained my sense. That was despite how hard I'd worked to drop from 168lbs to 140lbs.

Of course, it was even harder to lose that regained 17lbs and I kept berating myself for it and blaming myself that I'd be at goal if I'd just been content to maintain at the 140lbs until I was in the correct frame of mind to lose the remaining weight.

It's good not to be complacent but it's essential to appreciate the progress we've made and not be discouraged when we've stalled. Even when there are no other signs of progress (in lbs or inches) we need to keep the faith that we're probably influencing our health for the better.

Dec 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
SlowSure -
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bellamae
My tips - lost 50 pounds and still going

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all Here is my story and how I lost 50 pounds since becoming a low carber.

I've had problems with my weight since childhood. I think because my grandparents used to feed me candy all the time made me addicted to sugar. And let's face it, sugar is delicious! But it's poison, deliciously dangerous I must say. I've read that cancer cells feed on sugar. Back to my story, in my teenage years I was a typical yo yo dieter. I used to be so desperate to lose weight that at one time I went on this two muffin a day regimen and lost a tiny bit of hair due to lack of vitamins. Not to mention the dangerous weight loss pills I used to take (the ones with a black stripe around the bottle). But due to the heart palpitations and lack of sleep I was having my doctor decided to get me off the pills. But I continued my struggle to lose weight with calorie counting and being hungry all the time, which was absolute hell. I followed so many diets such as Scarsdale etc. You name a diet and you can bet I tried it. I also went to Jenny Craig (Nutri System back in the day), paid tons of money to starve while eating their prepackaged foods, only to gain it all back. Later on I found out I had a tyroid problem but my doctor said I was borderline so I got no meds. In 2003 someone told me about this doctor who had a weight loss clinic and I decided to give it a try. I had an appointment and after I did a battery of tests the doctor handed me the list of foods I could not eat. BUt my sugar addiction got in the way. I was supposed to cut all sugar, flower and starches and being the emotional eater that I was I thought to myself "no way". I kept the food list on my fridge for many years and never bothered about it. The last straw was last year when I went to do an internal ultrasound and my doctor said I had a fat liver. No wonder for I was 223 pounds and wearing size 18 pants!
Then I began to follow the low carb diet on my fridge on October 10th and by Christmas I had lost 33 pounds. By mid February I had another 20 pounds. For the first time in my life I went through the Christmas holidays without gaining weight. I'm not going to lie, I did try the sweet stuff but all in moderation. It wasn't that bad. I feel that my body no longer craves sugar the way it used to since I decided to ditch the carbs. I took a little break during the winter months but now I'm back at it. I'm glad to say I haven't gained anything Now I need to lose 30 more pounds. Wow, I've lost 50 punds with a tyroid that doesn't work!

Now answering to your questions:

-were there trigger foods for a stall or trigger foods that broke a stall
I've noticed that in my case eating too much bacon stalled the weight loss so if I'm really craving bacon I don't go over two strips a day. I go for the less salty bacon. I also noticed that drinking lots of water makes a difference.

-what did alcohol do to weight loss
I haven't had any alcohol since becoming a low carber but I will count the carbs in the red wine glass I might have in a weekend

-how did different sweeteners affect weight loss
I have no problems with Splenda or Sugar Twin but the Sweet N'Low (pink packets) seemed to have stalled my weight loss somehow

-what were your 5 go to meals that got you through your journey
I usually pack a romaine lettuce salad topped with either roasted chicken breast, tuna or steak; for dessert I have either an apple, a kiwi or sometimes little balls of cream cheese with sweetener only or with a little bit of cocoa for some chocolate taste. One thing I love to have instead of the apple or kiwi is a ripe sliced mango. Not only its sweet taste helps with the cravings, it has so many other health benefits such as being a source of vitamin B6 which promotes the production of serotonin in the brain, which increases depression and helps with my sleep.

-what are 5 tips you'd give a wanna be loser
Don't be discouraged at the beginning. You might feel a little headache but that's common because of the changes in your metabolism; Drink 2 to 3 litres of warm water a day; try to be active. It doesn't mean lifting weights, I walk one hour a day and it helps a lot. Make sure to include fiber in your diet. On top of the fiber foods I eat I take a fiber supplement everyday. I take Vitamin B12 daily (2500 mcg), it helps to speed up my metabolism. But always remember to keep an eye on your carbs!

-did you ever stop dairy, wheat, coffee, or alcohol…. did you notice any differences
I have cream in my coffee every day; I use whipping cream (the unsweetened one that comes in a box) for my desserts; When I get the munchies I eat hard cheese (Swiss cheese is my fave and 0 carb). I also chew on sliced green/red peppers with a touch of mayo.

-did anything seem to trigger whoosh days
Higher water intake (3 litres)

-what were you doing when your loss was the steadiest
I was drinking lots of warm water and walking a lot. I was also watching the fat and protein intake. All in moderation. But one can only eat so much protein. I find that protein rich foods fill me up pretty fast. I need to watch the cheese, though. I love it!

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Bellamae; 07-01-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Bellamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:01 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

^ Correction: I meant I was supposed to cut all flour, not flower

Okay. I forgot something. I think it's important to have a little cheat once a week so that you don't hit a wall and, for instance, end up devouring an entire tub of ice cream. Not going hungry doesn't mean the craving isn't there. I find that if I cheat once a week it's easier to keep going. On Saturday or Sunday I usually have a slice of pizza or a small slice of chocolate cake or a scoop of ice cream. And as long as you count the carbs you can be creative with your meals and not fall off the wagon due to boredom. Low carbing is amazing and I love it.

Last edited by Bellamae; 07-03-2014 at 01:07 AM..
Old 07-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Do you think that if you don't cheat every so often such as once a week or two that is what makes you hit a wall?
When you say count the carb with a piece of cake or scoop of ice cream. Those carbs are off the chart so how do I do that?
Old 07-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
"Cheating" once a week may work for you, but it won't necessarily work for everyone. Any variation from my low carb eating sets me back for a week, so I certainly couldn't do it.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Julie!!
I love your WOE of: One Day At A Time....
Old 07-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
I'm Just Jo I'd like to warn you that I took your questions to heart and answered to the best of my ability... fair WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbby View Post
I would love to hear from people who have lost 50 or more pounds. Some things I would love to know are:

Trigger foods for me was nuts and cheese, I have portion control issues so I would eat way too much, blamed it on my body's ability to process those items until I took a HARD look at my Food Log... it was me, not the cheese or nut. So I don't eat either of those any more. I try to spend as little time touching, prepping or cooking food -- those are all triggers for me to overeat.

Sweeteners don't seem to affect me, I drink my share and someone else's of dt. soda and I use Da Vinci SF Caramel Syrup in my java

I only eat 5 different proteins: broiled chicken, tuna, canned chicken, white fish (cod, flounder, whiting) or Oscar Mayer Deli-Fresh Smoked Ham & a 6 oz salad. I only eat once a day -- as late as I can postpone it because I suffer from "I'm only hunger when I put FOOD in my mouth" syndrome.

aka SEAL -- it's only 4 but they're good ones and one's I live by:
Stay Committed 100%
Eat Properly & Exercise Daily
Accept the things you cannot control & change the things you can.
Live your life to be Successful at following this LC WOE!

-did you ever stop dairy, wheat, coffee, or alcohol…. did you notice any differences
I stopped the only dairy I had because of portion control issues, I don't do wheat because its a toxic, poisonous, insidious killer crappy carb, I drink copious amounts of coffee with no ill side affects and I don't drink alcohol because I am too much of a control freak!

-describe weight loss month to month, was it slow at first… then steady, slow and steady all the way, etc….
Here's my weight loss graph:

I have been 100% on plan since I started back on 5 July 2013 with one incident:
I will always remember it as the infamous “Thanksgiving Fiasco of 2013” where I gave myself permission to go way off plan for 3 whole days of gorging on carbs -- it was like a carb orgy. I gained 9 lbs that took me 6 days to lose. But that was the one and only time I had those toxic, poisonous, insidious, crappy killer carbs. I learned my lesson the hard way because I had to re-lose those pounds again.

Hope this wasn't TMI!!
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/23%BF/20%BF Size 26/6-8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
Julie, You did all of your weight loss on DANDR? That is great and I know it can be done this way. I know that I want to eat healthy for ever and doing this diet is a training me for the future.
Did you have any stalls along the way and if so what did you do?
So many things I've read confuse me. Increase the fat with more butter and coconut oil. I had already been using butter, But I lost the first 30 without any coconut oil. Is this supposed to be added along with the regular diet or in place of a meal?
Thanks
Quote:
Julie, Your loss is amazing. You should really feel proud of yourself. You look great!
Libby, I miss your posts. Ever since I found your thread I've been reading. Your losses are also amazing.
Both of you give me hope...
You're very sweet! Thanks! Yes, I lost 100lbs on Atkins, DANDR. Coming up on my 11th anniversary next week! I didn't do well when I added CO, which I tried after hearing everyone else's success with it. I have decided that fads and the "latest, greatest weight loss foods" are not for me. Nothing works as well as consistently healthy eating and exercise. I did have to go to the hcg plan to drop below 175, but I follow low carb on that too. Just more appetite control.

Justo-you've done great! WTG!!

Very inspiring thread! Thanks guys!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...l#post17065682
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
"Cheating" once a week may work for you, but it won't necessarily work for everyone. Any variation from my low carb eating sets me back for a week, so I certainly couldn't do it.
I agree Emily!

IMHO I don't think doing a cheat night or a cheat meal on an LC WOE is a very wise thing to do. Since once on an LC WOE plan you have changed your metabolism into a fat burning engine, by introducing those toxic types of carbs you have virtually put a monkey wrench into that fat burning engine where you stall, get cravings and possibly gain weight. Dr. Atkins in his '72 edition said:

Sometimes a single stick of [regular] chewing gum, or putting milk in your coffee could put you right back to level one by upsetting the new chemical balance in your body. Yes, even that much carbohydrate can turn off your fat mobilizing hormone.

To each his/her own but I know I can't lose weight or stay in maintenance having a cheat meal/day -- it's not worth all the hard work and effort I put into this and "Nothing Taste as GOOD as being at my goal weight FEELS!"
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Do you think that if you don't cheat every so often such as once a week or two that is what makes you hit a wall?
When you say count the carb with a piece of cake or scoop of ice cream. Those carbs are off the chart so how do I do that?
I have some vanilla ice cream in the freezer so the tub has the calorie count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
Yes, I agree, it doesn't work for everyone. But it does for me somehow. But my cheats are in very small portions My sugar addiction was such that I must have something once a week. If I don't the craving will lead me into devouring an entire pack of cookies. Seriously!

Last edited by Bellamae; 07-11-2014 at 11:49 PM..
Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamae View Post
I have some vanilla ice cream in the freezer so the tub has the calorie count.

Yes, I agree, it doesn't work for everyone. But it does for me somehow. But my cheats are in very small portions My sugar addiction was such that I must have something once a week. If I don't the craving will lead me into devouring an entire pack of cookies. Seriously!
That's what I have used the Atkins bars for, that taste of sugar that is of substantial size and yet does not break the bank.
Because I was going through an entire half gallon of ice cream per week before, a cheat for me would have to be an entire bowel and that's what I meant about being way off of the charts.
So, the Adkins bars can be used for that cheat. The Adkins Chocolate Coconut Bar is amazingly good and reminds me of an Almond Joy bar but
it's only 3 net carbs.
What works for me is that it actually fills my stomach and I feel like I've had a real dessert.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendyg311
Stats: 211/211/129
WOE: low carb
Start Date: july 2014
This has been a great wealth of information for me as I am just starting (again).
Thank you everyone!!
Wendyg311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. Please forgive me if it's not.

I've had a lot of company this summer and have made a lot of high carb foods. Why? you may ask! :-) Two fold: 1) I am on a very low budget and it helps stretch the grocery budget. 2) To spoil my company (children). But, as a result I have been eating higher carbs.

I have lost 50 pounds over the past few years and I'm fighting daily not to gain it back. But, I am finding my resolve is weakening as I indulge a bit more in the sugar.

I would SO appreciate some advice from all of you ladies who have kept off your weight loss over the years. Help...
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
But, as a result I have been eating higher carbs.

I have lost 50 pounds over the past few years and I'm fighting daily not to gain it back. But, I am finding my resolve is weakening as I indulge a bit more in the sugar.
If sugar derails you, then, trite as it sounds, it's not for you. Sugar probably played its part in contributing to your initially higher weight?

You worked so long and so hard to achieve your impressive weight loss. I hope that your losses were accompanied by health gains.

I manage to control migraines etc. by limiting my carb intake and I'm sure that it helps me to maintain my weight range. I manage social occasions by abstaining from the carbs. If I feel that I have to eat a token amount of cake for some family/social reason, then it is never more than an inch wide nor 1.5 inches deep (and it's only that size if it's cheesecake, if it were mostly carbs then I'd have a still smaller piece). People have grown accustomed to me eating no more than a tapas-sized portion of some foods and I won't be pressed into eating more.

I do empathise with the budget implications and it's understandable that you'd provide carb-based meals for your family. But, you owe it to yourself not to be seduced by the honeyed-tones of sugar if you know it will tempt you to eat more of it.

A lot of people seem to allow themselves sugar at Christmas and it then takes them until Summer to undo the weight gain and to lose the craving. It's a personal decision for everyone but I try to avoid it and when I do have it, it's occasional and in very controlled amounts.

My advice/experience - but our lives are all so different that I don't know how useful it will be in your circumstances.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Thank you, SlowSure! I know you are right! I actually have had 2 days of 20 grams of carbs. The cravings are gone. I'm just trying to take it a day at a time. Thank you so much for the encouragement! I really appreciate it very much!
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:47 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
no trigger foods, but the higher the carb, the worse the cravings.
-what did alcohol do to weight loss
N/A
they didn't!
meals varied dramatically. my go to foods are: full fat cottage cheese, protein powder, oscar meyer turkey sausage.
TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS and get a good picture (i sure wish i did this in the beginning); consume 100 g protein daily for a quicker metabolism; keeping carbs down helps curb cravings; i always gain weight after eating out (msg? dunno); keep a journal (you will be glad you did!); every day is a new day; JUDDD is the best diet on the planet; maintaining isn't as hard as you may think
i tried cutting out wheat and coffee. didn't make a lick of difference.
-did anything seem to trigger whoosh days
had a 3 month plateau, which broke after i quit chewing sugar free gum constantly. lost 15 lbs. within 10 days. that was fun. note: i've since gone back to gum.
-describe weight loss month to month, was it slow at first… then steady, slow and steady all the way, etc….
i seemed to lose in chunks, never nice and neat, slow, steady. other than my plateau, i lost slow and steady the entire way.
never was unsteady except during my stall. i didn't "deserve" the stall technically. i was losing inches but the scale refused to move.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 10-31-2014 at 08:52 PM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cslug
sad today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl1981 View Post
I enjjoy this post.

Ten years ago i lost 85 pounds with clean atkins.

I lost my way. Got to 406 lbs.

Was sleeved in 2010. Got to 285. Had 2nd baby. Back up to 330.

Currently at 316.

I dont consider myself a success. But the ups and downs Ican say there were ups.
All Ican say is no one should give up on this goal.

Please keep copy pasting. If im ever on a pc i will contribute to. IIts hard on mobile
I lost nearly 90 pounds two years ago, I felt like I had a life for the first time since my teens. I felt great. I have since gained twenty five back. I am so depressed. I keep trying to get back on the atkins but fail within a few days. My new husband refuses to stop buying sweets and before that I kept all bad food out of the house. What encouraged you to stay so dedicated? cslug
cslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
What a great thread!
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote