Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Low Carb Success Stories!!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbiggars63
Stats: 493/192/193
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 1/23/2009
Medi-Weightloss Success Stories

Jerome Biggars
"My Marathon"

In 1987 I was a fit 220 pound single guy that ran 6 miles a day, weight lifted and taught aerobics 3 times a week. I met and fell in love with my wife who wasn’t a fitness fanatic like me, and I started to decrease my activities and eat unhealthy foods. By the time we got married (7/2/1988) I had started to gain and was at 275 pounds. When our first son was born (9/19/1989) the scale was reading 350 pounds. 20 years later at Christmas 2008 I weighed 493 pounds at the doctor’s office, while my high TOPS weight was 489 pounds. I was worn out all the time! When I went to Wal-Mart to do the shopping, I needed to lean on the cart as soon as I got one and had to lean on it the entire trip. By the time I made it to the check-out counter, I was dripping in sweat! I was tired of being pointed at by little kids who said "Look mommy, there's a really fat man!" At least some kids didn’t know how rude they were…..adults did. I was at a company golf tournament once when a bike rider rode by and yelled "Oh my god! Get out of that cart and walk!" There is no describing how humiliating that was. While it would be easy to blame this on my wife, it wasn’t her fault. I had fought this battle before and knew I was the one responsible and as I edged closer to 500 pounds the time had come to do something! I had witnessed a friend of mine, Bonnie Voegeli lose 30 pounds in 3 months on the Medi-Weightloss program. She is also the leader of our TOPS chapter in Valley Center, KS #414. I followed up with her to learn about the diet she was following and began the marathon on December 23rd, 2008. That is how I view this journey, a long slow marathon! In just two short weeks at our January 6th, 2009 meeting, I was already down to 478. I then called Medi-Weightloss and set up my first appointment with Dr. Jeannine Cobb for January 23rd, 2009. I was eating 1000 calories and keeping my carb count under 25g a day. Medi-Weightloss is a doctor supervised low carb diet. I initially went in weekly, but now go in monthly to have vitals checked and also have blood work done every 3 months. As a part of this diet, I fill out a food journal and drink at least 120 ounces of water daily.
I knew I couldn’t keep making excuses for my weight, so at that first meeting of the year on January 6th, I presented an idea of including NMX on the front of our TOPS shirts. This stands for NO MORE EXCUSES! Shortly thereafter Bonnie and Vicki (our co-leader) came up with a cheer that we say every time someone has a gain. Instead of saying "See you lighter next week" this is what we do:

While still sitting down we say "No More Excuses"
We stand up and say "Let's get off our tushes"
We twist our upper body to the left and say "Lose Weight"
We twist our upper body to the right and say "Feel great"
We bend down and touch the floor and say "A better life"
We stand back up and reach our hands over our head and say "We will create"

The next week, I started to exercise. It wasn’t much, just 15 minutes 3 times a week on an exercise bike. Fast forward to the present and I take 3 spin classes a week, lift weights 3 times a week (Genesis Health Club), and walk 3 miles in 45 minutes 4-5 times a week. I just added jogging and have now reached a point that I can jog 1 mile in just under 12 minutes! The trainers and staff of Genesis have been another wonderful resource for support during this weight loss marathon! I have gone from size 66 pants to a 46, but know once all the excess skin is removed I’ll be back to a size 38. This journey has had lots of milestones, but one of my favorites occurred in early August when I took 4 large trash bags of all my 3x and larger clothes to the DAV because I am never going to need them again! My last TOPS weigh was 275 pounds which equates to a loss of 218 pounds according to the doctor’s scales and 214 pounds per TOPS. That’s 203 pounds lost this year! I hope to be a KOPS by the end of the year! My goal weight is 250 pounds, which is the weight my doctor specified as a goal for my tummy tuck. She thinks the surgery will take another 20-25 lbs off! I am proud to say I have not had a gain week or even stayed the same all year! That’s right, I’ve had a loss every single week and needless to say, the Wal-Mart trips are a breeze now and yes, my wife is even exercising and eating healthy with me!

I have come to believe there are four very important parts of a successful weight loss program. In order of importance they are:

1) Determination: You have to decide you are important enough to change your way of life to a healthy one. NO MORE EXCUSES!

2) Support: For me it is family, friends, and of course TOPS! What can I say? It is the best support anyone could ever want or need.

3) Diet: For me it was the Medi-Weightloss low carb diet and drinking 120 ounces of water per day.

4) Exercise: At least three 30 minute aerobic sessions and three 30 minute weight or strength building sessions per week, but always allow for at least one day of rest.
jbiggars63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbiggars63
Stats: 493/192/193
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 1/23/2009
Here are some photo's of my changes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beforenafter.jpg (79.4 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg Jerome 1 10-8-09.jpg (25.1 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Jerome 2 10-8-09.jpg (24.7 KB, 187 views)
jbiggars63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
After investing thousands of dollars and years and years of trying to diet, I dieted my way all the way up to 218 pounds. Like many of you I tried everything and nothing worked.

Then one evening I ran into a friend who had lost a noticeable amount of weight in a short period of time. I asked her how she did it and her answer was Medi-Weightloss. Even though it was a week before Thanksgiving and everyone thought it was a crazy time to start a new weightloss program, I signed up the very next day. I did not want to spend another minute in the physical shape that I was in. I didn't want to gain yet another 5-10 pounds from holiday eating. I wanted control of my life again!

I had chronic knee pain, high cholesterol and was borderline diabetic. I hated to look at myself in the mirror and did everything I could to stay out of pictures. I felt like a huge disappointment to my husband and kids. I wasn't the thin wife that my husband married and I was setting a terrible example for my kids. I was convinced that I was just destined to be fat and this feeling grew with every diet plan I tried and failed.

So, on November 21, 2008 I started on the Medi-Weightloss plan. When reading over the materials, one particular statement stood out to me, "results typical". That little two word phrase filled me with hope, and to me was a promise. I have never seen that claim made with any of the other programs I tried, in fact they advertise "results not typical". Within just a few weeks I knew that I was going to be successful and make goal. On June 22, 2009 I hit my goal and started on maintenance with a loss of 62 pounds. It was the easiest program I have ever followed. I wish I had known about Medi-Weightloss Clinics 15 years ago. Now, every time I see an overweight person I want to tell them that they don't have to live that way anymore.

At my last doctor's appointment my blood work was vastly improved, both my blood sugar and cholesterol were within normal ranges. My doctor was so impressed she asked me for referral cards to give to other overweight patients. My knees rarely hurt anymore and I like to look at myself in the mirror.

I attribute several things to my success:
1) eating protein throughout the day and never letting myself get famished
2) taking the Medi-Weightloss provided supplements and medications on a regular basis
3) support from the Medi-Weightloss Clinic staff, friends and family
4) learning how to satisfy my hunger with foods that satiate me
5) making Medi-Weightloss a commitment and a priority
6) following a consistent exercise program.

Thanks to my Medi-Weightloss Clinic I am healthier and happier than I have been in years. I am living the dream.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
"The longest journey begins with one step"

How do I begin to explain what the Medi program/process is really like....for me, from my perspective? My doctor finally had had enough of my refusing to get weighed on the office scales, of refusing to do anything pharmaceutical about high cholesterol/high triglycerides and of taking chances with my health. And I, finally, woke up. And took a very cold calculating look at myself in the mirror, stark naked. What I saw was severely upsetting to me. Just exactly how long had I been deluding myself that I looked "okay"? That the larger sizes were only because manufacturers were making clothes sizes smaller than they should be? That I was eating okay, healthy foods...no fast food...no fried foods...no red meat? How on earth could that be me looking back at myself in the mirror. Wake up and smell the coffee, Jo, it IS you and your doc is right. You must do something, and do it now before it is too late. Before you have no choices at all. This is what denial looks like. And it is not a pretty sight.

My doc made a couple of suggestions. My mentor at work was in a program that saw her lose 76 pounds. She looked amazing and felt great. She was passionate about this program which coincidentally was one of my doc's suggestions. I made the call, made the appointment, and took myself off to the clinic. (My clinic. In North Scottsdale. Easily a 90 mile round trip but infinitely worth it.)

Taking a deep breath, saying the words that would become my mantra, "Do or do not, there is no try", I opened the door and prepared for the worst. What I found was a warm and welcoming atmosphere and friendly helpful and supportive people who were geared towards helping me in my quest for health and on my journey to weight loss. They all took the time I needed to explain the program to me, telling me what to expect, answering my questions,letting me know what my challenges would be in the first week, and asking me what my expectations were for myself. And my clinic staff has been there for me every step of the way. They are exceptional, caring, encouraging, and strong people. They are truly a great part of my success

It was decided that the AS would be helpful to me. So, armed with the starter pack of Medi products and prescription meds, I headed home. This is Christmas week, I told myself. If I can make it through this week, I can make it through anything. I knew I had to be upfront and truthful with my co-workers, my friends and my family, no matter how embarrassing I thought it might be. I had to do it because I knew I would need their support and encouragement. (In retrospect, I found it interesting that no one ever made comments to me about my weight. Not ever. Maybe at 5'11" , I could get away with a lot....but 262 pounds worth? I think not.)

Yes, it was a difficult first week. Yes, I really wanted some of those traditional Christmas goodies. I just kept saying, "Do or do not, there is no try". The very first thing I did upon arriving home from my appointment was to go through my cupboards and divest them of anything and everything that was not on my approved list. I gave all that food away, and shopped for only those items on my approved list. And I walked, and walked and walked. Through my neighborhood, around the parking lot at work, through airports on my way to Oregon for Christmas, in the snowy Pacific Northwest during Christmas week. And walked some more. And rode my bike. Wow, that first week loss was a great motivator, and I was advised that though this is normal for a first week, expect 1-3 pound per week losses along the way, as that is better, healthier, and longer lasting, and in line with my starting weight and my goal weight. When the New Year began, I reiterated my dedication and commitment to the program and to the major lifestyle change I was making. And to be truthful, this program is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

In late January, I was advised at work, that I was part of a "displacement" that would be occurring on 13Mar09. I was about to lose a job I loved and had held for 10 years at a company I respected and admired. Now what? Well, after 48 hours of "why me", I took the time to focus and decide where and what I would do next. This was a perfect time to focus on myself for a change, and improve myself and make myself better. And so I did. I knew I could do it. And be successful. I was losing weight every week, I was becoming a "lean mean walking machine". I added in more and different exercises, and kept on the program. Plenty of opportunities to go off program but I never ever wanted to do so. The "cravings" were just not there. The results I was achieving were amazing me every week. I found support in my friends and family. And I found new friends too, in a forum specifically for Medi Weight Loss patients.

And now, as I have reached my goal weight, and progressed to the maintenance/wellness phase of the program, I take the time to marvel at the wonder of it all. I am wearing clothes in sizes I have never before worn in my adult life, even at the same weight. I have gone back to work at my beloved company, participating an an awesome, exciting project. Four people I have worked with for ten years did not recognize me, the transformation has been so dramatic. My health is immeasurably improved, and I am pleased and surprised every time I look in the mirror. A cold calculating look in the mirror, stark naked. Yes indeed, that truly is ME! A better me, a healthier me, a beautiful me. I have learned to love my body again. I am once again at the weight I was when I first moved here to Phoenix AZ fifteen long years ago. And I am happy. I look forward to each new day and revel in each glorious Arizona sunset. Life is good.

Thank you Medi-Weight Loss for setting me on the path on that very first day of the rest of my life! Thank you!
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jsd79
Stats: 190/179.2/150 - started 5/22/12 (190.4/186/155)
WOE: HCG, have tried everything
Start Date: 11/7/11
15 lbs gone in 3 and a half weeks. I have more energy than ever and I feel good. Though I have another 40 lbs or so until I hit my goal weight, I'm on my way and know that with Medi I will succeed after trying numerous other plans. Good Luck and happy eating!
jsd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
I'm sure not at my goal, but I HAVE to post about my most fantastic day! Yesterday my husband surprised me for my 59th B-Day (which is actually today) with a tandem skydive! I have waited 40 years for this! I had the opprotunity to try skydiving when I was 19 but didn't have the $150 OR the confidence to do this alone! Then about 2 years ago some friends did this tandem skydive, but I was on the verge of being too fat so couldn't do it then either.....you have to weigh LESS than 230lbs. Now that I have lost 38 lbs I could do it, and had the most wonderful time. My thighs are bruised from the harness being so tight, but for once my weight didn't stand in the way of my doing something I wanted to do! My weightloss has given me the confidence and motivation to keep losing more weight, and my plan is to take skydiving lessons in a few months so I can do this on my own at least once!

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nance7
Stats: 5'3" 165/125/135 Restart 7/9/12 at 142
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 5/31/2010
Wow! Mary , a day late! What a fantastic present. You look so happy in your picture. I know it must have been an exhilarating jump, for many reasons. You are doing great!
Nance7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Thanks Nance, It WAS great fun....I couldn't stop smiling, even with 130 MPH wind in my face (with my skin flapping) prior to the parachute opening!
I love all the support everyone gives on this BB. I wouldn't be able to do this WOE without everyone!
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote