Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Low Carb Success Stories!!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwilowcarber
WOE: Low Carb
Pete's story...

Hi. My name is Pete and I'm new to "Low Carb Friends.com"
In the late 1980's I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and was also obese (all my life actually). For the next 20 years after being made aware of these health problems, I did very little about it. Needless to say my health condition plummeted and attempts to remedy it with conventional diets and other weight loss fads, failed miserably.

One night in 2005, out of desperation I did a Google search for weight loss and came across a NZ website emphasising the benefits of a low carb lifestyle. Low carbohydrate??? What the hell was that??? Anyway I emailed the contact person for an appointment a guy called me the next day and I told him about my situation... he claimed he could help me and to attend my first consultation. After listening to him talk about the low carb way I actually thought that this guy was crazy. But the photo's of his clients posted on his shop window showing before and after their weight loss, persuaded me to join up. For years I had been told by my doctor and other diabetes professionals to eat certain foods and stay away from various others. What this guy was suggesting I eat was sheer stupidity (so I thought at the time) this was all the bad food that had been drummed into me since childhood.

As he was not a medical professional he did request that I monitor my blood glucose levels frequently during the induction phase. If I did not! with the amount of med's I was taking and the change in menu I could possibly go hypo. I needed to adjust my medication myself if the occasion required. Wow! Was I in for a shock...my high blood glucose levels dropped dramatically within 24 hours and I had to adjust medication accordingly. Prior to joining up with this program I weighed in at approx 303 pounds (although I have been bigger). I was also shooting 75 units of insulin daily and also downing approx 10 pills, my glucose readings were reading on average 14 mmol/l. Since then I have bounced in and out of the low carb approach and unfortunately gained weight when out of sync.

However, the last 6 weeks has seen a resurgence for me and I'm now determined to deal with this once and for all. Today I'm currently 245 pounds (270 pounds 6 weeks ago) and still dropping (the lightest I've ever been since my 16th birthday). Not only that, I no longer use insulin or glipizide and need only minimal amounts of medication (4 pills per day). My stamina and energy levels have increased my relatives and friends are complimenting me on my weight loss and my doctor is dumbfounded . One other satisfying thing for me is that after 20 years of being rejected for Life Insurance...I now have it.

I now know that the low carb way is the only way for me, everything else has failed. I'm enjoying a sense of well-being and vibrancy in life I have not experienced since my 20's. My goal weight is approx 198 pounds and I'm determined to see it through. When someone with similar health problems asks me about low carb and what it did for me..I show them my old clothes and my old insulin syringe.

All the best and good luck.
kiwilowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enelkay
Stats: 206/145/back to 162/now 145 again
WOE: Moderately low-carb and mostly gluten-free.
Start Date: 11/98 LC; 4/07 GF. Now moderate carb & low gluten
All the best and good luck to you, too, Pete!

Sounds as though you have your head screwed on straight and your priorities right. And you, personally, were way ahead of our American Diabetic Assn., which last year only reluctantly approved low-carb diets for the control of diabetes.

I'm not a diabetic myself, but I have a good friend who is miserable while trying to follow the almost totally fat-free, high carb diet prescribed by her endocrinologist to control her diabetes. I wish her doctor knew as much as you do about the subject!
enelkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: FloridaShell
Stats: Grrr/Grrr/130
WOE: My own way of l/cing
Start Date: 1/2/08
Pete!
FloridaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwilowcarber
WOE: Low Carb
Thanks Nadine and Michelle for the welcome.

Nadine...it is interesting that here in New Zealand, attitudes towards the low carb approach and its benefits to weight loss and diabetes are slowly changing. Some medical establishments are now implementing low carb programs to assist patients control their diabetic conditions. About time too. Why should your friend starve on a calorie restricted diet when it is probably the high carbohydrate intake thats the problem. I can eat as much and as frequently as I like never feel hungry, keep my blood glucose level below 6 and still lose at least 4 to 5 pounds per week. If your friend is struggling? The low carb way maybe the answer. Good luck. Pete.
kiwilowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Welcome you have found a great place to hang out..
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: designsbymitzi
Hi this is Denise

Great job, I am very proud of you!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilowcarber View Post
Hi. My name is Pete and I'm new to "Low Carb Friends.com"
In the late 1980's I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and was also obese (all my life actually). For the next 20 years after being made aware of these health problems, I did very little about it. Needless to say my health condition plummeted and attempts to remedy it with conventional diets and other weight loss fads, failed miserably.

One night in 2005, out of desperation I did a Google search for weight loss and came across a NZ website emphasising the benefits of a low carb lifestyle. Low carbohydrate??? What the hell was that??? Anyway I emailed the contact person for an appointment a guy called me the next day and I told him about my situation... he claimed he could help me and to attend my first consultation. After listening to him talk about the low carb way I actually thought that this guy was crazy. But the photo's of his clients posted on his shop window showing before and after their weight loss, persuaded me to join up. For years I had been told by my doctor and other diabetes professionals to eat certain foods and stay away from various others. What this guy was suggesting I eat was sheer stupidity (so I thought at the time) this was all the bad food that had been drummed into me since childhood.

As he was not a medical professional he did request that I monitor my blood glucose levels frequently during the induction phase. If I did not! with the amount of med's I was taking and the change in menu I could possibly go hypo. I needed to adjust my medication myself if the occasion required. Wow! Was I in for a shock...my high blood glucose levels dropped dramatically within 24 hours and I had to adjust medication accordingly. Prior to joining up with this program I weighed in at approx 303 pounds (although I have been bigger). I was also shooting 75 units of insulin daily and also downing approx 10 pills, my glucose readings were reading on average 14 mmol/l. Since then I have bounced in and out of the low carb approach and unfortunately gained weight when out of sync.

However, the last 6 weeks has seen a resurgence for me and I'm now determined to deal with this once and for all. Today I'm currently 245 pounds (270 pounds 6 weeks ago) and still dropping (the lightest I've ever been since my 16th birthday). Not only that, I no longer use insulin or glipizide and need only minimal amounts of medication (4 pills per day). My stamina and energy levels have increased my relatives and friends are complimenting me on my weight loss and my doctor is dumbfounded . One other satisfying thing for me is that after 20 years of being rejected for Life Insurance...I now have it.

I now know that the low carb way is the only way for me, everything else has failed. I'm enjoying a sense of well-being and vibrancy in life I have not experienced since my 20's. My goal weight is approx 198 pounds and I'm determined to see it through. When someone with similar health problems asks me about low carb and what it did for me..I show them my old clothes and my old insulin syringe.

All the best and good luck.
designsbymitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #7

Gallery: fluffybear2
That's a great story. Welcome and best of luck to you!
fluffybear2 is offline   Reply With Quote