Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Low Carb Success Stories!!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 09:13 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: emmajoan
Stats: 445/Not telling!/215 (for now), 5'10
WOE: Atkins (Induction levels)
Start Date: 1/24/05
My 100 pounds gone story- LONG!

Well, today I got on the scale and discovered I made it to the Century Club! I am very excited yet I still have a huge mountain to climb. I'm about 39% up the weight loss hill that I'm traveling on, and there will inevitably be stumbles along the way. 100 pounds gone sounds like such a large amount of weight, but by the time I'm done with this, I'll have lost 265 pounds. The thought of me having lost 100 pounds and not even being halfway to goal is a little disheartening, but I am going to keep my head up and keep pushing forward.

I started this low carb journey at the end of January 2005. I had put on 100 pounds during my 4 years of college, and another 100 pounds in 2 years after being depressed about not finding a job immediatley after college, and after all my friends moved away to different parts of the country. I was miserable. I had constant heartburn, swollen legs and feet, back pain, no energy and sleep apnea on top of other things. I was in complete denial about my weight as I didn't have a scale that could go up to whatever weight I was. Eventually, I couldn't buy clothes from Lane Bryant anymore. I could only shop at Catherine's and Avenue because some of their clothes went up to a size 32-34. If I got any larger, I wouldn't be able to find any clothes to wear, and that made me completely devestated. I saw a couple of shows on TV that snapped me to reality: MTV's True Life: I'm Obese, and The Biggest Loser. I ordered a scale that supposedly had a weight capacity of 440 pounds on it, and weighed. It said 445 pounds. Here I stood on the scale, a 23 year old recent college graduate with everything in front of me, (by then I had found a job I loved) and I weighed 445 pounds. Something had to change.

I've always been heavy and had previously lost weight by eating 1200 calories a day and exercise. When you're 445 pounds though, that just seems impossible. I couldn't move like I used to even when I was 220 pounds. And I would continuously binge on pasta, chips, bread, milkshakes, you name it. I needed something else. An old friend and a co-worker both had mentioned they had success on Atkins, and I figured it couldn't hurt to try. I did a Google search for low carb websites and read all the posts and success stories and figured if they could do it, I could too.

I've stayed at induction levels this entire time and plan on staying there for the next 100 pounds as well. My energy is high, I have regular periods (TMI!), no more heartburn, sleep apnea, or swollen legs and feet. I can fit into some 24's, and all 26's. I will re-evaluate my goal when I get to a size 14, because I have a large frame and build. I couldn't have done it without everyone's support here, and the others who have posted their stories that eventually made me decide to take this plunge. This is certainly a way of life, and I am 100% sure that it saved mine. For those who say that Atkins is bad for you, they can look at my bloodwork results on my low carb site (really just to keep me accountable). Thanks for listening, and thanks for all the support.

BEFORE:

CURRENT:

COMPARISON:

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeveraGain
WOE: Whatever it taks!
Emily, I cried reading your post! You have done an amazing job!! Congratulations!!! You should be so proud of what you have accomplished!! You are truly beautiful. Just think how exciting the years to come will be. I'm 25 and I only regret I didn't take charge of my life sooner...yet I am so glad that I'll be happy with myself for at least part of my 20's!!! Keep up the good work!
Shell
NeveraGain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:35 PM   #93
LCF Game Room Groupie

Gallery: Jessi
Emily, thanks for sharing this with us. You are awesome!!! I am hoping to be in that 100 club with you before too long.
Jessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #94
Lounge Lizard

Gallery: Britlee
Stats: 320/179/135
WOE: Atkins/DS 03/24/08
Emily,

Thank you for sharing your story. You have been an inspiration to many on the boards.
Britlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:14 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: teddybear
Stats: 300/287/145ish
WOE: atkins
Start Date: restarted 01/01/2009
I would like to join

Just wondering how i join the century club, Do i just start posting my story and go from there or what...lol
thanks
teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #96
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rizgoth
Stats: 420/355/200
WOE: Atkins/My Own
Start Date: October 2005
Weight Loss Accounts

Its great to see all the changes that people have made in their lives.....

--Rizgoth
Rizgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JUNEBUG2
Stats: 338/297/180--tight28w/24/16 5'8"
Start Date: april 24, 2006-new beginning 03/01
YOU r so inspiring.......thank you
JUNEBUG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #98
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Scarlet, I know you wrote this a while ago, but your story is so similar to mine. Please drop me a line when you read this. Thanks, Hot Tamale
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:49 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IrishRose1975
Stats: 299/299/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 05/14/13
Hi Lily!
I'm an Army wife and living in Germany. I know that losing weight is not easy. Your success is an inspiration to me. Keep upi the great work.

~Colleen
IrishRose1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #100
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MZKENGI
Stats: 300
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: AUGUST 2006
congrats to u all i hope i get these type of results
MZKENGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #101
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chassiepooh
Stats: 315/262/180
Start Date: First: 4/26/05 Now: 3/25/2014
I finally hit Onderland, and what way to celebrate than to contribute to this thread. But it may get emotional for me. I been overweight my whole life. I remember being in 6th grade. ANd having to get weighed it at school, and I'm sure we all remember that hell. And I remember weight 116lbs. I remember it as if it was yesterday. I was just a lil girl weighing what some adult women weigh, and I remember getting a lecture from the nurse. And it just get inflating from there.

I never remember being a small person. I'm a tall person, and sometimes I may have hidden my weight, but I've alway been high in the weight bracket. School was miserable for me, and when I knew it was weigh in days at school, i begged my mom to let me stay home. And she let me.

I made it thru high school. And I made it thru crash diets and losing weight, but could never get down lower than a size 16.

My breaking point was when I got to my highest weight 315 lbs. I felt like my world had came crashing down, that I just let everything lose control. But I knew I had to regain it. And I did. Today I'm at 197. I lost 118lbs. About to get in a size 14 pants for the first time since I was 14 years old! I was in a size 26 pants. Size 26/28 or 3x shirts, now I'm in L or XL shirt.

Now I feel like I can conquer anything. I feel healthier and feel really good about myself. I still remember those days in school, and I'll never forget that day in 6th grade, when I stepped on the scale. I felt so small. But I will get closure, the day I get to goal.

Here are my pictures:

Durings:

I came here and by 2007 loss 123 pounds. Life gave me some challenges. I've lost and almost lost more, not talking pounds, but family members. So, I'm back, because this is the only place that helped me. Help me do this! 😊
chassiepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #102

Gallery: chassiepooh
Stats: 315/262/180
Start Date: First: 4/26/05 Now: 3/25/2014
and I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories Congrats to all!
chassiepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:50 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: going_down
WOE: Counting Calories
Start Date: May 8, 2010
Chassie - I've already said this, but congrats on making it to Onederland !!!

Thanks for sharing your story.
going_down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #104

Gallery: CaroleKI61
Stats: 414/ 270 /255/ 245....199
WOE: Dr. Atkins- I love you!
Start Date: many restarts
When I began my weight loss journey I was sixty years old.
I weighed four hundred and fourteen pounds. Lived a sedentary life. Married to a wonderful man, the father to our six sons and one daughter, and grandfather to our three grandchildren.

I longed for something different in my life. I didn’t know what was happening to me. I felt angry/sad a lot of the time. My hormones went crazy; I had no energy, and experienced a complex range of issues related to the changes in my body. The changes were emotional, psychological, physical and spiritual.

I live in an upbeat, youthful and result driven culture where the overall emphasis seems to be on physical, tangible things. Productivity and speed are of the essence.

On my sixtieth birthday on February 14th. 2003 following a wonderful birthday party with my family I decided that the time had come for some changes.

First step was to quit consuming Rum and Coke… not only did I not like how I looked and acted in my drinking times it also contributed a lot to my gross obesity.
Next I read Dr. Atkins book and joined a wonderful on line low carb group. I discovered that my years of eating a low fat diet had created a deficiency and in turn was exacerbating certain conditions and health problems such as PMS, psoriasis, moodiness and inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.

Dr. Atkins taught me that not all fats are created equal and I had been misinformed. I began using healthy fats such as olive oil, which I use for low heat cooking. Use flax and hemp oil occasionally. I refrigerate these two cold-pressed oils and NEVER heat them. I also enjoy nuts, olives, coldwater fish, organic grass-fed meats and omega-3 eggs. I enjoy Avocado sliced in my salads.

I take a supplemental source of GLA (gamma-linolenic-acid) called Evening Primrose Oil. I began taking the capsules three times per day at meal times as I had always suffered with severe leg and foot cramps and haven’t had any problems since!

I take a Centrum multi vitamin pill every morning. I’ve just today added a fish oil supplement. I eat three meals per day eating enough to keep blood sugar in check. Doing this I believe that my body will gradually become balanced and with that balance will come clarity of mind and being, vitality, calm and relief from aggravating conditions. I’ve already started to glow.

I’m enjoying the journey to MYSELF. I have a lot of baggage left over from a horrific childhood and at times it slows me down on this journey. I haven’t reacted correctly to the responses and information coming from within me, from a primal place.
I am working on reprogramming the messages that haunt and torment me.

I need to belong to a group, without connection, I feel isolated on my journey. I hunger for time alone, to use as I choose… and I chose to make the following seven months a time to take inventory, complete unfinished business, and decide how I want to move forward. Self-care and boundary setting is key to psychological, emotional and spiritual wellness.

It takes time for me to make changes, but small changes when combined over time, seems to enrich the quality of my life.
I’ve begun a morning check-in it’s a way to keep in touch with my emotional, psychological and spiritual process. It’s not so much DOING as it is BEING… being grounded deep within myself. I ask myself HOW AM I FEELING? WHAT DO I NEED?
(E.g.. I need food/water: need to breath deeper, need to write, exercise etc.) Before long I know what I need and it is becoming easier to stay grounded. Writing has helped me to begin to identify my needs and to speak out about them.

Due to leg problems I use a walker and to go out a motorised scooter, I’ve just returned to swimming after spending over a year confined to my bed. My internal urge is so strong today I had to acknowledge it and share this with you. I’m taking this opportunity to become more fully the ME that I WAS MEANT TO BE! I deserve this time for myself. I must learn to walk without falling because someday I want to RUN!
Love Carole.
CaroleKI61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:55 AM   #105
T-man

Gallery: whitelighter1968
Stats: 350/242/190
Start Date: 12/04/06
To everyone

What an incredible journies!!! Thanks for being such an inspiration

Timothy

Last edited by whitelighter1968; 12-22-2006 at 11:02 AM..
whitelighter1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyDude
Stats: 240/237/165
Start Date: 1st time 11/2006. Lost 41 lbs. Restart 1/7/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelighter1968 View Post
To everyone

What an incredible journies!!! Thanks for being such an inspiration

Timothy

I second that. Props to everyone!
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sweet123
My 100 pound lost story

Well I have finally found the time to write my 100 pound lost story. I can't tell you how happy this makes me feel. It is so wonderful to see a "1" in front of my weight. I have been around 300 pounds for a very long time that really this was just a distant dream to me. Growing up I was always the big child. When I look back at the pictures, I realized that I was only chubby but I guess compared to everyone else, I was big. In grade school, I was teased and tormented a lot. I remember in grade 7 (age 12) there wasn't a day that went by where I wasn't called fatso. I remember the pain and hurt that I felt but couldn't tell anyone. There were times in my times in my life where I did become skinny. I believe that I have yo-yo'ed my weight back up around 10 times. I tried binging/purging in high school. It was mainly because all my friends were doing it and being skinny meant everything. I just couldn't do the purging but I really enjoyed the high I felt from binging on massive amounts of food. I spent a lot of time alone when I was growing up and I used food as my best friend. It made me happy, comforted me, kept me safe and numbed any feelings that I had about anything. When I was 23, I lost around 80 pounds with the aide of fat burners and appetite suppressants. I felt like I was on the top of the world. I was 120 pounds and wore a size 3. I remember the feeling of being so happy getting out of bed in the morning and facing life. I had many friends and boyfriends. All of the sudden and it seemed like when you are skinny, you belonged everywhere. I entered into a long term relationship that had its ups and downs. I remember him telling me that I could still stand to lose more weight. I had bones sticking out when I was lying down and wore such a small size. I really believed that I wasn't good enough. I ended the relationship but my life pretty much went downhill from there. I started binging again around 25 yrs old and used to hide the food and wine from my brother. I started living alone when I was 26 yrs old and that was the start of my 9 year battle with depression. I am not sure what exactly happened to me but I spent years being severly depressed, anxiety ridden, angry, agoraphobic, and just really hated myself. I had 2 good friends but really couldn't bring myself up to socialize to meet new people. I started putting on weight fast. I would have to say that I put on 100 pounds in less that 1 year and another 75 a couple of years after that. I just couldn't get enough food and found that it really numbed any pain that I was feeling. My parents started to become very angry at me for what I was doing to myself. They weren't trying to help me but rather called me names and didn't stand next to me when we were in public. It was so bad, the I never spent time with my family. I never could believe how parents could treat their child like that. It lasted over 1 year and I really took a nose dive and felt like ending my life. My friends pulled me through that and life started to get better. I lost the same 50 pounds a total of 3 times. Nobody would notice and that made me made. About 2 years ago, I went into therapy and went on medication. I started my journey to healing old wounds. I think the turning point for me to lose this weight was when I was at a family member's funeral and I was watching my aunt, who is around 500 pounds not being able to take 2 steps without sitting down. My uncle does everything for her. She can't even leave the house. She has been big all her life and almost died a few times. I always knew I could become her when I was older but it didn't stop my descent into becoming extremely obese. I think realizing that I would have nobody to take care of me when I was older, no children, no husband, that my life would be nothing. It hit me there during the funeral that I have to do something. I knew my health was bad and I felt like a second class citizen and people treated me badly. I was always the biggest person in the room. I didn't want to feel that way again EVER! I did research on different weight loss companies and finally decided on a weight loss clinic that does blood tests beforehand. It was doctor supervised at the beginning and I found that I would not be bored on this diet. It was easy to follow and I went to be weight once a week. It was expensive but I knew that would make me stick with it. The first month I lost 24 pounds and have now went on to lose over 100 pounds in just over 8 months. I feel human for the first time in a very long time. I feel taller, happier, confident, socialable, more energy etc. I love shopping and I can pretty much shop in normal size clothing. I went from a 24/26 and 3X to a 14 and M/L. I even bought a size 12 today but will have to lose about 10 pounds to make it fit great. My losses have slowed down but I know that I will get to my goal soon. I am enjoying all the rewards that you get when you take care of yourself. I have been through a lot of emotional stuff and thought that I would never be able to get over the first hurdle of 100 pounds. I know more of you are thinking the same but I can tell you, that you can do this. I always think of smaller goals,like 10 pounds at a time. Hang in there and you can do it!!!

Last edited by sweet123; 04-08-2007 at 10:32 AM..
sweet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Wow, congratulations---that is fantastic! Thanks for sharing your story!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: beaut2b
Stats: 275/206/175 - 5'12" :)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2006
Barb - What a story. Thanks for sharing. I'm so happy for you and keep up the good work.

Shelley
beaut2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SPECK
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleKI61 View Post
When I began my weight loss journey I was sixty years old.
I weighed four hundred and fourteen pounds. Lived a sedentary life. Married to a wonderful man, the father to our six sons and one daughter, and grandfather to our three grandchildren.

I longed for something different in my life. I didnít know what was happening to me. I felt angry/sad a lot of the time. My hormones went crazy; I had no energy, and experienced a complex range of issues related to the changes in my body. The changes were emotional, psychological, physical and spiritual.

I live in an upbeat, youthful and result driven culture where the overall emphasis seems to be on physical, tangible things. Productivity and speed are of the essence.

On my sixtieth birthday on February 14th. 2003 following a wonderful birthday party with my family I decided that the time had come for some changes.

First step was to quit consuming Rum and CokeÖ not only did I not like how I looked and acted in my drinking times it also contributed a lot to my gross obesity.
Next I read Dr. Atkins book and joined a wonderful on line low carb group. I discovered that my years of eating a low fat diet had created a deficiency and in turn was exacerbating certain conditions and health problems such as PMS, psoriasis, moodiness and inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.

Dr. Atkins taught me that not all fats are created equal and I had been misinformed. I began using healthy fats such as olive oil, which I use for low heat cooking. Use flax and hemp oil occasionally. I refrigerate these two cold-pressed oils and NEVER heat them. I also enjoy nuts, olives, coldwater fish, organic grass-fed meats and omega-3 eggs. I enjoy Avocado sliced in my salads.

I take a supplemental source of GLA (gamma-linolenic-acid) called Evening Primrose Oil. I began taking the capsules three times per day at meal times as I had always suffered with severe leg and foot cramps and havenít had any problems since!

I take a Centrum multi vitamin pill every morning. Iíve just today added a fish oil supplement. I eat three meals per day eating enough to keep blood sugar in check. Doing this I believe that my body will gradually become balanced and with that balance will come clarity of mind and being, vitality, calm and relief from aggravating conditions. Iíve already started to glow.

Iím enjoying the journey to MYSELF. I have a lot of baggage left over from a horrific childhood and at times it slows me down on this journey. I havenít reacted correctly to the responses and information coming from within me, from a primal place.
I am working on reprogramming the messages that haunt and torment me.

I need to belong to a group, without connection, I feel isolated on my journey. I hunger for time alone, to use as I chooseÖ and I chose to make the following seven months a time to take inventory, complete unfinished business, and decide how I want to move forward. Self-care and boundary setting is key to psychological, emotional and spiritual wellness.

It takes time for me to make changes, but small changes when combined over time, seems to enrich the quality of my life.
Iíve begun a morning check-in itís a way to keep in touch with my emotional, psychological and spiritual process. Itís not so much DOING as it is BEINGÖ being grounded deep within myself. I ask myself HOW AM I FEELING? WHAT DO I NEED?
(E.g.. I need food/water: need to breath deeper, need to write, exercise etc.) Before long I know what I need and it is becoming easier to stay grounded. Writing has helped me to begin to identify my needs and to speak out about them.

Due to leg problems I use a walker and to go out a motorised scooter, Iíve just returned to swimming after spending over a year confined to my bed. My internal urge is so strong today I had to acknowledge it and share this with you. Iím taking this opportunity to become more fully the ME that I WAS MEANT TO BE! I deserve this time for myself. I must learn to walk without falling because someday I want to RUN!
Love Carole.

Thank you Carole. I would love to have you as a mom.

Sandra
SPECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capook
Stats: 325(highest)/275.4/140-150
WOE: HCG Rebel <3
Start Date: LC January 2003/LC Aug 2008 /HCG Sept.2010
I'm gonna start by copying a letter to dr. atkins I wrote in 2003 in the wall of remembrance thread.

*(I am writing this letter to thank you for giving me back my life. Even though you are no longer with us you are still helping so many people. You have done what nobody else could do for me, you gave me back control of my life. I never realized how much control food had over me and my life until I started doing Atkins. I now have so much more energy and can play with my child without getting out of breath. Food no linger consumes my life. I am no longer depressed .I was such a sad person before. It was so hard for me to smile when I walked in to a room of people and I was the biggest one. My clothes were never comfortable , I never felt attractive, I felt like such a failure.
I lost my mother this year and itís been really hard on me. I watched her slowly deteriorate over several years. She had heart problems and diabetes, due to complications from those she had a stroke at the age of 51. She remained bedridden in a nursing home until she was 54 and she passed away. I miss her so much. I always strove to make my mom proud. In many aspects of my life she was, but she was always concerned about my weight. She didnít want me to end up like her. It hurt me so much to watch her slowly die, thatís when I realized what I was doing to my family. I was depriving them of me . Of me now and me in the future. I wouldnít let anybody take pictures of me, I couldnít do a lot of activities with my family, I couldnít even fit in a roller coaster to ride with my daughter. I was not giving my child what she needed as a mom. I do not want my daughter to go through what I did with my mom, and I realized that is exactly what I was doing.
Since starting Atkins I have improved my life, I am a better wife , mother , and friend. I look forward to family outings instead of dreading them. I get my picture with my child, I even got family portraits done for the first time. I can look at them and say I donít look so bad. Iím on my way, itís still a long road ahead of me, but I can see the light at the end now. Thank you Dr. Atkins for being the light for so many people.)*

At my highest I was 325. I absolutely couldn't beleive I got that big, how could I not notice it happening?After I had my daughter in March 1998 and my mom had her stroke I ate to cope. I couldn't handle what I was going thru with my mom and I moved my dad in with my family and he needed care for his diabetes, chronic back pain,(2heart bypass surgeries).My dad passed away in 2000, after that we started to try and get pregnant again. After a year I was diagnosed with PCOS. I went on clomid and metformin, dropped the clomid after 6 months(hormones make me insane!!) IN 2006 I finally got pregnant with my second daughter!! How? Well after lcing off and on for 5 years I finally dropped down to 258. I had been stuck at 265-275 for what seemed like forever! Because of my PCOS the doc treated me like I had gestational diabetes. I checked my sugars 4xs a day but I never had to go on insulin!!! I ate sooo great while I was pregnant and lost weight!! When I went in to have my daughter I was 245! That was May 10th, I'm now 225 and she's 5 weeks. I came back to this BB to look for inspiration and motivate myself and I realized I have actually lost 100lbs over the last 5-6 years. Unbeleiveable!! I periodically re read my letter to dr. atkins to remind myself why this woe is so important.It's kinda tuff right now with breastfeeding I get major munchies, but so far so good. So for all the slow losers or if you are plateaued just remember your healthier than you were before. What option is there? going back? HE!! NO. So I'll keep pluggin away even if it takes 5 more years to lose the 60-75 more pounds I wanna lose.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #112
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Loralei
Stats: 276.5/176/150
Start Date: May 2004
Laura's story the good and the bad...

Okay folks after some hiatus it is time to post my story. I know I haven't visited this site in a very long time. I am no longer on low carb, I just am lucky enough to stay very very active to stay at maintance. I started low carb in 2004. I never was a big poster here. I tried to keep up and encourage where I could though. I was also very shy at the time rarely posted.

My breaking point wasn't the ugly stretch pants or the big double chin, or the comments made from idiots. My day of decision came when I couldn't climb up the basement stairs with a load of laundry and the day I cried after I got red in the face and was huffing and puffing after trying to tie my shoe. I got online and looked up gastric bypass.. I was going to see if a doctor would try to get my insurance to cover it.. but then I decided to try low carb again. I had tried it once before in the past and worked.. but I only did it for 2 weeks. I had alot more success this time around because I knew I was killing myself by continuing to gain weight. I had high blood pressure, blood sugar fluctuations, occasional chest pains, chronic back, knee and shoulder pain. My hormones were a mess and I cried almost every freakin day. That was my breaking point.

My low carb plan was atkins. Poor womans atkins.. hehe.. high sodium, lots of pork rinds, dip, whatever veggies I could get on sale or scrounge outta my moms garden. I ate lots of hamburger pattys, pork steaks, eggs and cheese.
I didn't and couldn't exercise much at first. After I lost about 50lbs I went to work at Walmart. I started in electronics. I am all about proving myself and didn't want people to think I was lazy (that is an assumption of thin people.. the ones who don't know I lost this weight share it with me alot.. many assume if you are fat you are automatically lazy) so I had to work harder than anyone to prove myself. By the time I lost 75lbs I started working as an unloader. I unloaded wal-mart trucks piece by piece.(a peice on the truck could be a box of sponges or a 200lb lawn mower and everything in between) By the time I reached my goal I was able to unload a 2000 piece truck in 1.5 hours. I was the fasted unloader on the team, I was also the oldest and the only woman!
I recently moved on to management but still try to work hard every day. And after being on my feet all day, I walk, run or work out. (I was able to afford a lower priced home gym and try to use it often). I know that my demons haven't fled. I still love food. I ate 5 pieces of pizza tonight before my walk.. But all in all I am eating less and healthier..

The upside to losing all this weight and looking better..
I share clothes with my 19yr old daughter, and I look pretty good in them too.
I can out run my 19 year old daughter.
A teenage boy made a rude remark about my daughter and I put him on the floor in a headlock..
I am getting alot of attention from the opposite sex
I have a tremendous amount of enegry and feel like a teenager.

The downside to losing weight... yes ladies and gents, there is a downside for me.
First of all.. lol
I am getting attention from the opposite sex. I liked it and my marriage of 21 years nearly ended.
Second:
I have a tremendous amount of energy and ACT like a teenager. I party alot.. I drink alot (taking a break from this for a bit, btw)
Finally,
Bottom line, I still need that seritonin release, be it drinking, sex, acting crazy etc I need it. I am still an addict folks and I am finally learning to deal. I loved the sertonin release from unloading the truck at work but can no longer do that.. so I am trying to walk/run/workout daily to cover that. If I start to gain I will be back. But right now I am trying to get the most I possibly can out of life. It is short.

Here's some pics for you all.
Goal 3: New end goal, 150

Laura's Myspace
Loralei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beautifulme
Stats: 275-135-140
WOE: Whole foods.
Start Date: Everyday....
You are all great inspirations-I was 10 seconds away from a sugar binge,instead I came on here and saw all of you..Thanks....
beautifulme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #114
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: magenta123
Stats: 289/160/145
WOE: adkins
Start Date: sept.1, 2004
I went from 289 pounds to 160 at present weihgt

Hi,
in sept. of 2004 i weighted 289 pounds. i was into liver failure and diabetic.
My chol.was nearly 800 mg/dl and my trig were around 750mg/dl.
i had sever fatty liver desease. and was schulded to have a liver biopsy.
It was time that i had made a change. There were other health probs. but i wont go into that yet.
I wanted to do the adkins diet, but because of my health i could not do it without damaging my liver even more.
I did a lot of reserch and found that by eating just two stalks of celery a day, along with the adkins less than 20 carbs a day diet, i lost fat and built up muscle without damaging my liver any further. In fact by the two month mark my liver enzymes and liver pannel had gone back to nearly normal levals.
my glucose level was staying around 85mg/dl.
there is a lot of more that i went through but some day i will set down and write it all out.
the thing i want to get accross is that it really works.
in sept. 1 2004 i weighed 289, in may 1 2005 i weighed 175 now i weigh 160
but i am 5'9" and i fit into size 10 jeans with strech of course...
my chol is 149 and trig at 94 glucose at 79.
I take 1,000 mg of chromium picolinate a day. i have been thinking of adding CLA but not sure.
please excersise from the very begining. i did not realise that i was losing weight and now i am flabby not a prety site... excersise!!!
oh yea! when i started the straw was i went to wally world and tried on a pair of mens pants size 48 and could not button them and only got the zipper half way up.
please forgive my spelling i cant seem to find spell check..
email me with any questions or comments.
i hope that tis helps to show that it really does work.
I am a lab tech so i understood how and why it was the safest way for me to become healthy.

Last edited by magenta123; 01-02-2008 at 08:08 AM..
magenta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #115
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pennyann
Stats: 251/247/145
Start Date: dec 2006
Hey Magneta thats fantastic! I'm starting atkins as of today. I weigh 250 so wish me luck . You are so inspiring . Thanks Penny
pennyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:20 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BlackRose943
Start Date: This time - 01/01/2010
[COLOR=darkorchid]Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories! You've been an inspiration to me on a not-so-good day. I initially lost 103 pounds, but I gained 56 back. I'm down 8 pounds now, but I've got a long way to go toward my goal of losing 115. You guys give me hope.[/COLOR]
BlackRose943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bowulf
Stats: 415/221/225
Start Date: April 1, 2004
I have posted 211 pound success story in a video on you tube.
My state newspaper did recent article on it before I ran the recent marathon. The short story is I discovered how bad off I actually was at 429 pounds on the way back from Utah in a cramped airplane seat. That and watching my friends from my former unit be deployed to Iraq convinced me I needed to do something. Luckily I had a brother who tried the Atkins diet before me and had lost 75 pounds despite me jeering him initially. This was the first time I was successful in any attempt to lose weight, and I remain committed to keep proving that I am not that old Kent any longer.

My success photos can be found here.
bowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcbeck
Stats: 340/247/199 I'm 6'4 249/199 restart 9/09/10
WOE: Atkins/SB/Stella Style
Start Date: 6/15/2007 (340) 6/15/2008 (225) 04/27/2009 (199)
Losing over 100lbs:)

Hi all,

I think it is time I blog about what it was like for me to lose over 100lbs. I am 25 years old now and started this WOE for the 2nd time on June 15th, 2007. I weighed 340lbs in the Spring of 2006 when I graduated from college...I think I ate so much food because I was stressed out working two jobs and keeping up with all my homework. I was eating out a lot with my coworkers and family several times a week and it would usually be Chinese buffets or some kind of all you can eat place where a person can overload on carbs and calories very easily.

In grade school I grew to over 6 feet tall by the time I was 12 yrs old in 7th grade and weighed between 170-200lbs but that seemed to be all right for me at the time because I was able to participate in the sports that I wanted to.

Through high school my height reached 6'4 and I played many sports and stayed pretty active but still ate too much for my own good. It helped that there was a weight room for the students because I always liked to challenge myself. My weight slowly crept up through high school pushing 300lbs even though I was exercising I just ate way too many calories. I tried many diets like Slim Fast, Low Fat/Low Cal...very dissatisfying could not make myself stick to any of those.

I graduated high school in 2000 and by 2001 I weighed in at 330lbs and heard about Atkins from one of my fiancť’s friends who did pool exercise at Courage Center and had lost a few hundred pounds. I was so inspired and lost 90 pounds down to 240lbs over 8 months my own self. It helped that my fiancť, his daughter and I moved to Stillwater, MN and we didn't have a car at the time so we would walk everywhere. I was so happy and proud of myself.

Then in the fall of 2002 I started college while working one job and the weight slowly began to creep back on. In 2004 I got an internship at 3M that turned into my second job and we called it the "3M-sponsored diet." We ran around to all the buildings in 3M Center installing computers and monitors. But then in the spring of 2005 I became the coordinator for the techs I had worked with and was pretty much glued to a desk. We bought our first house May 15th, 2005...then in the fall of 2005 our jobs were contracted out to another company and we were all moved over to the 3M helpdesk building where we all became tied to a phone. This job was very stressful and led to overeating and I also had additional stress going to college and working another job as a home health aide.

Spring of 2006 I finally graduated with my Bachelor's Degree in IT and things started to get better. I was a lot less stressed and got a job in Server Application Support which was pretty easygoing and comfortable. I started trying to eat better when I went out...cutting out sweet stuff. That wasn't enough though. Winter of 2006 I tried low calorie/low fat again...what a waste of time and then I went to the South Beach Diet where I did lose a few pounds on the diet but I couldn’t stick to it long term and had cravings. After that I pretty much gave up and ate whatever I felt like, whenever I wanted.

Summer of 2007 I found myself at my highest weight ever - 340lbs! I was determined to do something about it for good. I was watching TV and I saw George Stella and Blaine Jelus and was inspired to try low carb again because it looked like you could have a lot more interesting foods than burgers. So I rummaged through all of my books until I found Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. And DVR'd low carb shows and bought George Stella's books. I also found You Tube great for finding low carb recipes. My fiancť and I started cooking low carb for the entire family and we were all “Lovin’ It!” We grilled all summer and into fall and stuck with low carb all winter and we have all learned to love our veggies and meats. Our family has experimented with using veggies as thickeners for certain dishes and making over our favorite dishes as low carb.

We eat a lot of egg dishes, salads, meat and veggie combos, berries, the occasional slice of cheesecake…I love many of the recipes on this site and could not live without Cleo’s Oopsie Rolls. Ruby Tuesday is my favorite low carb restaurant and Wendy’s is my favorite low carb fast food place. I also have the occasional low carb ice cream treat at TCBY. I lost 10 lbs the first two weeks and have lost 2-3lbs/week since then totaling 102 pounds loss. I find my weight loss is slowing so I’ve been walking about 4 miles a day lately and hope to reach my goal by summer 2008! My fiancť has also been on Atkins and has lost 40lbs and my 19-year-old stepdaughter dieted along with us and has lost 20lbs. Low carb is the best and I hope to keep it up for life!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before & After.JPG (47.0 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by lcbeck; 04-14-2008 at 01:38 PM..
lcbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #119
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rollerdave
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: To be decided
Start Date: 3/10/14
She's not kidding, I'm the fellow next to Becca in them pix, and she does look fabulous!

My Beck seems to have a spring in her step and a lilt in her voice since she made these changes, and she's MY inspiration as well.

Good on you, Beck, you deserve the new healthier you that so much of your effort has gone into refining!

RD
rollerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: weezie1581
Stats: 290/pregnant/not sure
WOE: Healthy :D
Start Date: Can't remember
You have done so awesome.

Last edited by weezie1581; 06-26-2008 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: posted in wrong spot
weezie1581 is offline   Reply With Quote