Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Low Carb Success Stories!!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 04:59 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Esdios
I started at 335 pounds with 31% bodyfat and had a goal of 190 pounds and now I am posting a weight of 209 pounds and 15% bodyfat. I am crediting myself with having met my goal because I started gaining weight at 205 pounds but have continued to lower my bodyfat which can easily be attributed to gaining muscle mass due to 1 hour of weight training a day.

It may take some of you longer to lose a 100 than it has taken me, but in the end if you keep plugging away you will eventually make your goal. it isn't a race so make sure you enjoy your life and don't become obsessed with weight loss or your diet of choice in the process, it just isn't worth it.
Esdios is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2004, 09:50 AM   #62
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: califgal45
Stats: Size 22/10/22
WOE: Atkins (VLC)
Start Date: 1-27-03 Lost over a 100 pounds
My Story

I started Atkins on January 27, 2003 and as of last week I have lost 100 pounds. It has been 18 months and counting, this is my story so far.

I went to the store about the middle of January and saw Dr. Atkins book it was only 5.99 and thought to my self what do I have to lose, famous last words. I started reading the book right away and started induction like I said on the 27th. I am not sure what the light bulb moment was so to speak I just know I was tired of being tired and not feeling good mentally or physically and I was growing out of my very tight size 22 pants. I had to do something but I was also tired of spending money on gimmicks and so called diet pills and excersize equipment that sets in the corner after a couple of weeks then ends up in a garage sale. So I guess I was thinking hey 5.99 is not much to be out if it does not work. Famous last words.

I started induction and really felt good I mean it was so much easier and I could eat no starving , fasting, weighing or measuring and I really felt good. I stayed on induction for 6 months very strict. I had been to the doctor about a month or so before starting hence the 278 I did not weigh the day I started so I am using that weight. After about a month on Atkins I had to go to the doctor for depo shot and had lost 12 pounds I was a little disapointed with that but the nurse said it was great and that depo can hender weight loss. I stayed on depo for 6 months then stoped it. My loss was slower durring the time on depo and I am glad I stoped will not do that again.

After 6 months I played around with Owl some I added some nuts and berries and melon in once in a while and ate more veggies. But I quickly realized I still had a real problem with portion control, (still do) anyway I also tryed the low carb treats or as I call them junk food. Again problem with portion control so not a good idea, but they do serve a purpose from time to time. I think the biggest problem I had was the sf ice cream, I ce Cream was always my favorit you are talking to someone who could eat a half a gallon no problem and you want me to eat a half a cup now that did not work so better to leave it alone too. I did not discover any of this over night it has been an on going process. This is truely a journey.

A little over a year ago I started walking. I walk 2 miles approximately 5 days a week. I know I should be doing some kind of weight training but I have not done that yet. I do feel good about the walking and have lost well and inchs also so I am happy with it so far. I know I have to do something and walking at least has been consistant for me.

I did get caught up in the vitamin thing at first also, way to much money spent and I think its because I was still looking for the miracle cure. There is not one! I now take a good multi and a calcium, magnesium, potassium and thats it.

Some times its still hard for me to believe its been 18 months since I started this journey and I have lost 100 pounds as of last week. I really believe I have my wol under control now. I still strugle with food as in portion control some times but this is my woe now no dought about it. I have indulged a few times notice I did not say cheat, I don't think you can cheat if this is a life long way of eating. But note when I did indulge, it was just one thing or at most one meal never all day or days. i.e. If I went to the movies and had pop corn the rest of the day was normal on plan eating or if I ate something off plan for one meal or part of a meal the rest of the day was on plan. For me that is key.

I want to close with a very special thank you to all the friends here on the bulletin boards, the support and help I have found here has helped me more than words can say.
califgal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:32 PM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Koko
Stats: 420/340/200
WOE: Atkins/Paleo Hybrid
Start Date: April 24, 2003
I just wanted to pop in and say that all of you are such an inspiration to me. I'm 20lbs shy of 100 and plugging away

Congratulations to everyone, you guys ROCK!!!!
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:37 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: daveinohio
Stats: 315/178/180
WOE: Maintainence
I've lost 100+ pounds!

I lost 70 on Atkins and 30 from practically starving myself before I knew what I was doing.

I hit the low-carbing hard. Extremely strict for 4 months straight and I lost 100 pounds.

I feel great about this whole thing and I actually feel weird becoming less strict with my eating.

I have to start worrying about maintence soon! Weeiird.

Last edited by daveinohio; 08-09-2004 at 11:38 AM..
daveinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:46 AM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Jugo
Stats: 278/176(162)/160
WOE: Atkins-Maintenance, BFFM
Start Date: August 2002
Julie' Low Carb Journey

Hi everyone!! I guess it is time for me to write my story. It has been over a year since I became a 100 lb loser... Just didn't feel right to post my story... I know... it is weird!!

On August 8th, 2002 I went to the doctor for a physical to get ready to go back to work. I was shocked to learn that I had diabetes.... Out of the 8 risk factors of becoming diabetic I had 5 of them.... chances were I would get diabetes but I had never thought "I" would be diagnosed with it.... The doctor immediately put me on medication (Avandia) and made an appointment for me to see the hospital dietician.... The appointment was scheduled for the next morning at 9 a.m.

When I got home that afternoon I told me husband that I would fight this disease... I grew up with my grandfather having to do insulin shots... my grandma living on pills because of it... I had two girls to raise and I could not/did not want my life ran by diabetes... He told me he would support me in any way he could...

So the next day I went to the hospital for my appointment... The first words out of this wonderful ladies mouth was Atkins... I had heard about it... Didn't know too much about it as I never cared how fat I was.... She went through the basics with me.. told me to get online to find information and to BUY THE BOOK.... She gave me my blood sugar meter, test strips and before I left she weighed me..... 278.3 lbs .... I always knew I was fat but holy cow... I was on the verge of hitting 300... I knew I had to do this.... I had to go back to the dietician in a month... so September 17th was my next appt.

I left that day... went home and lived on the computer for the next three to four hours... I searched all sites having to do with Atkins.... I got the book... I was ready...

We started fixing legal foods right and left. We planned menus, we went grocery shopping and we discussed what wonderful meals we could fix.... The first few days were rough... you know... the dreaded sugar withdrawals.... I figured the would be worse so I was somewhat prepared for them... Getting used to no sandwiches for quick lunches and no pasta on the table at supper was a little hard at first but soon became second nature to forget them....

Well the time came to September 17th.... Went in and lost 261.1.... what? was this scale wrong? I had lost 17.2 lbs in a month.... Holy Cow.... I can do this....

I set my goal to lose 40 lbs by Thanksgiving and 50 by Christmas.... well a week before Thanksgiving I was down 43 lbs and 3 days before Christmas I was down 53 lbs.... Life was good... I continued to lose weight rapid until I hit the end of July of 2003.... I had lost 105.1 lbs... Went from a size 26 pants and 3X shirts to size 10-12 pants and large/x-large shirts... Then IT happened............... the dreaded, horrible STALL

This stall began at the beginning of August 2003 and last until March 1st.... 7 months of hell..... I bounced from 176-179 lbs... I didn't give up... I didn't succumb to the tortured.... I perservered and starting March 1st, I began to really up my calories and carbs... I also began BFL exercise program....

Well on March first I went up to 180... Okay that was it... I was getting this weight off.... From March 1st until May 31st.... (BFL 12 weeks) I had lost 18lbs and 27 1/2 inches throughout my body.... The scale read 162.... woooooooooooohooooooooooooo!!!!

At this same time I went into a depression... I tried to pull myself out of it... I halted posting on the boards, stopped chatting in the chat room... I held myself captive.... I finally, under much dismay, I went to the doctor.... He diagnosed me as being depressed and put me on Wellbutrin.... He assured me that it only causes weight gain in a few people and it would only be about 5% gain... well guess what??? I was one of those few people.... Within two week I gained 8 lbs.... I was back up to 170 lbs.... Well after fighting it and fighting I took myself off the medicine on July 2nd... I told myself that I and I alone controled myself, my mood, etc...

Well a month and a half later I have only had 2 bad days... I did recognize them and seeked out my friends to help me out....

I am still up 5lbs from my lowest but I am working everyday to get those lbs back off of me....

I would like to see 159 one day... But as you all know... this is a lifestyle change.... there are no quick fixes... When you take on this journey it is for life.... Now thanks to Dr. Atkins, this wonderful site, and the friends I have made, I have a long life in front of me.... I am going to win this battle.... I only have 12 lbs to go and by golly.... I AM HERE FOR THE PARTY!!!

It has been a great ride and I thank each and every person that has ever thought of me during this ride........... YOU ARE ALL THE BEST....

So that is my story.... Hope someone is still reading it when they get to this point... Nothing spectular.... Just one woman's journey to improve herself... to make her healthy and happy... and to make the guys whistle when she walks by

Juls

Here is a link to my webpage:
http://www.geocities.com/j050496/
Jugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:47 AM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bodokito
Stats: 234/220.0/150@5'5"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 23, 2004
Thank you all for showing me that it can be done. Thank you for showing me that I'm not alone in this, that you have felt what I felt and feel. Thank you for succeeding and giving me that little extra kick in the rear to put the effort to succeed as well.

I have been to numerous sites in regards to LC and all I can say is that this site actually makes sense and not making me feel like I have to -give- something in order to achieve my goal. What I will give is my utmost effort to be what you all have showed to me in this thread.

Thank you.
My results:
WE 09/01/04: 0.0lbs/0 inches
WE 09/08/04: -8.0lbs/0 inches
WE 09/15/04: -3.5lbs/0 inches
WE 09/22/04: 0.0lbs/0 inches
WE 09/29/04: +1.5lbs/-16.5 inches
WE 10/06/04: +3.0lbs/0 inches
WE 10/13/04: 0.0lbs/0 inches
WE 10/20/04: -3.0lbs/0 inches
WE 10/27/04: -1.5lbs/0 inches
WE 11/03/04: -2.0lbs/5 inches
WE 11/10/04: -0.5lbs/0 inches
WE 11/17/04:
WE 11/24/04:
Total #'s Lost: -14.0lbs/-21.5 inches

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my daily menu: My ******
Bodokito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:15 AM   #67
Sac
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sac
This is gonna be long. Sorry.

As you can see, I wasn't a fat kid. But that changed. I've struggled with my weight since my late teens. In those days, there were maybe ten or fifteen extra pounds that would creep up and melt off depending on which direction the wind blew. I got to enjoy being a little overweight and honestly got concerned if I got too thin. I would beef back up again just a little. And if I got too big, I'd shrink just a little. I couldn't even tell you how I accomplished this. I certainly knew nothing about nutrition and never joined a gym in my life. It was almost by force of will alone that I changed my size when I felt it necessary.

When I left home at the age of 20, I was at my then-highest weight. I couldn't tell you what that was since I wasn't in the habit of stepping on a scale. It wasn't that high though. Living in the middle of the city and walking everywhere helped the weight come right off. That and being too poor for much food.

Here's a photo of me about six months after that time period, near my smallest but not quite there:

After moving from there and having a tiny bit more money, I suppose I fell off the wagon a bit. I maintained my weight for a while, but the pounds slowly crept up. I hit a point where I was no longer comfortable, then made an effort to get more exercise and eat less (isn't that what "common knowledge" dictates?). The weight came off again. No problem.

But dedication to exercise and portion control are not my strengths, I'm afraid. I can't keep those up. I get bored. I get careless. I stop paying attention to my weight. The pounds creep back up again. Again I gained a lot, lost a lot, gained a lot, lost a lot.

Each time that I lost again, I never got quite down to where I should be. Close. But a little further away each time.

For years, I worked a delivery job. I sat a lot, but also got a fair amount of walking in. I suppose it wasn't enough. I wasn't eating huge portions either. A lot of people think that to get fat you have to gorge yourself all the time. That's just not the case. It's my experience that I actually eat less than most people I know.

So if I'm a little active and I don't eat much, how do I keep getting fat?

To be honest, I love junk food. I'll take Taco Bell over a gourmet meal nine times out of ten. Chips, snack cakes, you name it. I never drank water; it was always soda or milk for me. That was my problem, as it turns out.

Now, during this time I had established a pattern. I'd go for two years or so slowly gaining weight because I was just tired of paying attention to it. Then I'd get disgusted with myself to the point of cutting back the portions and renewing my commitment to exercise. I'd get down to where I felt comfortable, then gradually let go a little here and a little there. The weight would creep back up and I'd go through the same thing again.

In 1999/2000, I was due for a "slim down" cycle again. I was at my then-heaviest and was pyschologically ready to take that plunge and slim down again. But at the time, I was working and going to school full-time. I didn't have time to exercise or to plan meals. I suppose if I were really dedicated, I could've found a way around it. But being the procrastinator I am, I just told myself I'd fix it after I graduated.

By that time, my drive had waned. It was getting to the point where I'd been too heavy for too long. I tried, but the results were coming much slower than in the past. My resolve wavered.

This, combined with raging Obstructive Sleep Apnea, financial difficulties and depression just made me sink deeper. Food is one of the few real pleasures in life. It's always in the mood to please. It requires minimal effort. It always leaves you feeling good, at least for a little while. For someone who doesn't have much other pleasure to turn to, it can be dangerous.

Not that I ever became one of those people that eat a pound of bacon, a loaf of bread, a dozen eggs and a gallon of milk for breakfast. My portions were still rather modest. But they became more frequent. Stuffing myself full at every meal increased my tolerance for how often I was able to stuff myself. I was only marginally aware that I was doing this to myself. I could see my weight increasing, but honestly didn't care enough to do something about it.

Eventually I started treatment for my Obstructive Sleep Apnea and my world changed. I felt like I could take on the world with all this energy and ability to focus. I resolved to finally lose the weight and keep it under control now.

The unfortunate part is that I had become so heavy that it was going to be difficult this time. I don't know what I was at my absolute peak, but I remember being over 270 lbs when I was tested at my sleep study. I'm only 5'8." Not that tall of a guy. That much weight is a lot for me to be carrying.

I don't have many photos from this time period. (Would you??) I do have this scan from the back of a wholesale club membership card. It's not the best quality, but you can still tell I was really heavy.

My attempts to exercise were constantly interrupted by back injuries. I'd throw out my back doing the most mundane things and be in a lot of pain for weeks. Sometimes over a month. I found it nearly impossible to exercise during these times. And then I had unforeseen complications from a vasectomy which prevented any unecessary movement on my part for a good while.

It took about a year after my OSA treatment started before I decided to get really serious about it. And for me to be injury-free for long enough to dive in.

I also started researching more about the ways people lost. Meli and I knew a guy who had been much heavier than me and was melting away thanks to gastric bypass surgery. Honestly, the prospect of surgery scared me. Both financially and for the risk factor. If something went wrong, it was going to go horribly wrong. Knowing my luck, I steered clear of that. Plus, it feels like a cop-out. I know I have willpower. I don't need to be surgically altered because I can't do what it takes. That's an insult to me.

(That's not meant to demean anyone who chooses to have the surgery. To each his own. It's just not the right choice for me.)

I knew my diet was going to have to change. But how? Portion control? That wasn't working as well for me as it had when I was younger. What then? I actually thought about a liquid diet for about five minutes. I'm glad I didn't take that route. Where's the maintainability in that?

In my research, the two most frequent options that came up were "low fat" and "low carb" (Atkins specifically). On the surface, they're simple enough concepts. Low fat had been around for decades and had helped a lot of people. Some might say it also added to the obesity epidemic here in America. Low carb had likewise been around for decades but was still extremely controversial.

I talked to my regular doctor to get his opinion on what I should do. We talked about the options. When I asked him specifically about Atkins (which intrigued me the most), he was cautiously optimistic. He told me about the studies that had been done giving Atkins high marks, but wondered if it would work well in the long run. He also cautioned me that the studies he'd read about had been done on people more overweight than me. He had a very "the verdict isn't in just yet but it looks promising even though it sounds crazy" approach. He referred me to a nutritionist.

She and I went over my eating habits and what I wanted to accomplish. I discussed the same thing with her. About Atkins, she pretty much echoed my doctor's sentiments. She still preferred the low fat approach, but knew that Atkins worked for some people. Her concern was mainly that I wouldn't be able to stay on Atkins in the long term since my current menus were so carb-heavy. She suggested a different approach.

That was in October of 2003. I left her office at 264 lbs, with a plan to get regular (but moderate) exercise, to watch my portion sizes, to introduce non-starchy vegetables into my diet for the first time ever, and to eat low fat alternatives to my favorite foods if they're available.

Honestly, that worked ok. By late December I had lost 20 lbs. But I had been reading more and more about Atkins. The popularity of Atkins was just about to explode here in the U.S. thanks to all the New Year's Resolutions about to kick in. Atkins-friendly foods were popping up all over the place. I read the book (you'd be surprised how many people are "doing Atkins" but have never read the book!) and it made a ton of sense. I started going through newsgroups and message boards, reading the stories of those who had succeeded on Atkins and those who had failed on it. I learned from their mistakes and their triumphs.

I also read a lot of criticisms of the diet and rebuttals to them. Believe me when I tell you that 99% of the anti-Atkins comments you hear are from people who have never read the book and have no idea what the plan actually is.

The day after Christmas, I took the Atkins plunge. Low fat/portion control had been working fine, but I thought this might work better.

I was right. I lost more in the first week on Atkins than I lost in the first month on low fat. And I wasn't hungry. That first week I ate a whole lot of cheese, steak, hamburger, bacon, pepperoni, whipped cream and veggies. More calories than I had in any week on low fat. And I lost 16 lbs. So much for this "a calorie is a calorie" bull!

The proof is in the pudding. Of course, the pudding has to be sugar-free on Atkins but that's beside the point. :-)

Then everybody and their mother started doing Atkins in the new year and honestly it's a mixed bag. I like that it's easy to find Atkins-friendly food, but I hate that everyone is doing it without reading the book. They're going to fail and then there's going to be a big backlash of people saying it doesn't work. Because people are stupid. They think if you half-do it and don't get results, it's the plan's fault. Argh. But that's another rant entirely.

My doctor unfortunately moved to a different state. My nutritionist no longer works at the same office. I can't catch up with them and show them my progress. But my old nurse was really impressed with my progress the last time I saw her. My blood pressure has gone from "borderline high" to "normal." (Don't ask me the numbers, because I don't know 'em.) My new doctor looked over my history and was astounded at how far I've come. Told me to keep doing what I'm doing and not to come back for a year.

That year has not ran its course yet, but my time on the weight loss phase of Atkins just about has. I met my goal weight of 170 lbs in late August 2004.

I can honestly say I'm comfortable but not satisfied with my body right now. I still have a bit of a pouch and I'd like to build more muscle. But all things in due time. I'm no longer going to set a timetable of expectations and weekly goals. I'm going to wing it now. Like I've winged it before, but then without success.

What makes this time different? Well, I hope it's two things. First, I bought a scale for the first time. I'm weighing myself every single day now. I'm going to try to actually watch my weight from now on. I can fool myself into thinking my clothes just don't fit anymore because of body shape. I can fool myself into thinking I haven't really gotten that much bigger. But I can't fool myself that 270 is really 170. The numbers don't lie.

Second, I've learned a whole lot about the way I should be eating. I've learned that my previous eating habits screwed up my metabolism and now my diet has to be "unbalanced" in some respects to compensate. All of my favorite foods were the ones to avoid. My nutritionist, well-meaning though she was, didn't catch on to that. She didn't see that my addiction to carby foods was the very reason I should cut them out and keep them out.

I'm banking on these two things being enough. If I can actually have an objective number to look at and I actually know what I should and shouldn't be eating, I think I can maintain my proper weight. I'll still probably get bored with exercise but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
-- The opinions expressed in this post are for entertainment purposes only. No animals were harmed in the making of this post. This post valid in 48 states and parts of Portugal. See your doctor if this post gives you chest pains, explosive bowel movements or enjoyment lasting longer than 48 hours.
Sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:24 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DawnCBUK
Stats: Size 34/Size 20/Size 12
WOE: No Sugar No White Flour
Start Date: Feb 2002
My journey...

The person inside...

Two short years have passed
Tears flow down cheeks and happiness as I realize
I have lost a person on the outside.
Two years have flown by as winter wind gives way
Each triumph unnoticed by those around me
Two years within my chrysalis changing
The cocoon of my comfort flowing gently away
Now I stand at the edge of reason pondering the change
Wishing for you the same.

DCB

I'm writing this at about 125 pounds lost now. I read these boards on and off and have always wondered if I should post my journey before or after it's done. I think that perhaps if I write my story someone else will gain from it the strength they need to carry on with their own journey.

I don't know if I should start from the beginning or the end. How about the beginning of the end? Two and a half years ago I was lying in bed with my husband and my heart stopped beating.

It started again in a microsecond of time but I felt it. This had been happening a lot lately. I also realised I was not breathing that well at night. I think they called it sleep apnea. I was hurting all the time and my joints were giving in. I kept having a strange problem where I would trap a nerve in my leg (from the weight of my belly) and the pain would be excruciating. I was afraid one day I would not be able to walk. I was falling over ALL the time and really causing damage to myself. The strangest one was the choking. I was choking on food all the time and in addition becoming a type two diabetic.

These are just the physical symptoms my body was going through. I am sure if you are reading this you have probably had or know of a lot of the same pains yourself. The mental ones are far worse.

I was terrified of being made fun of constantly and my self-esteem was non-existent. I didn't "fit" anywhere. I could not sit down in booths in restaurants. Seat belt extenders were the norm. I remember I went to an ah-ha concert and had to ask for a special chair without arms because I had a bruise across one hip from squeezing in. I was a pretty big mess. For years I had been searching for someone or something to fill the "hole" within me. I could not shop for clothes ANYWHERE I had outgrown all clothes from mainstream stores and had to order my stuff from the Internet. I could not fit in my bathtub without the water being only about 2 inches deep. I was having hygiene issues though kept myself impeccably clean. (Infected belly button) I could not walk for more than about 1/2 mile. I needed special consideration at work cause my butt was too big to fit in the aeron chairs we had. I went through all the stages. From thinking the rest of the world had the problem and fat women were the bomb (I call that deluded self acceptance) to complete and utter abhorrence of myself.
So back to the heart attack...I turned over and tears running down my face I said to my husband I needed help. The next week we were in the local bookstore and he picked up a copy of the Atkins diet. I WENT NUTS. Oh that diet is just crap it's bad for you. Just like everyone else says when I tell them about Atkins even now after 125 pounds. You see I was an expert I had done every diet. I was on weight watches, slimfast, optifast, rosemary Connelly etc. I had tried fasting, binging and purging, over exercising. And a new diet was not going to work. I had resigned myself to die.

But he didn't listen. He never does. :-) Thank God. He bought the book and said he was going to read it. Now I am a bit of a pain in the arse when it comes to books. If I really don't want to read something I will do it out of spite. So that afternoon he wandered onto the computer as he always did and I picked up the book. I read it in an afternoon... (up to the lifetime maintenance chapter) and the very next weekend I threw out all the crap in my house. You see Atkins made sense. It didn't say I couldn't have something. My whole life diets have been about deprivation. Atkins gave me a chance to CHOOSE life, choose my food and choose who I was.

So we began the Atkins way of eating. Induction was hell... I had a migraine for 3 days... but I lost 7 pounds. I was not impressed as I had lost that much before on low fat. I kept at it out of spite. And I kept losing. And boy has it been slow and hard work. But it has been going. So where does that leave me now. Well Atkins is still my way of eating. I have lost 125 pounds in about 2.5 years. Yes I have stalled. JEEZE for months. We are not machines. Some of us lose it fast others slow. I don't work the "program" to the letter of the law. I eat low carb. I stay away from sugar, bread, potatoes (that's easy I hate them), and crap that I don't need. I have found eating between meals makes me stall. I have found exercise makes me stall in the beginning but helps me to lose inches which is great. It also takes care of the excess skin and other problems with losing almost a whole person. I walk... I can't run my body makes this weird thwapping noise when I run (belly hitting legs I think YUCK). I can swim but not that well yet (very positively buoyant). I can use the ellipse.. great work for the arms and the legs and MAN do I sweat. I have lost 10 sizes... yes you read that right. I was a 34 ish I am now a 24 ish. (UK sizes) I can fit in chairs now... my hips still touch the edges of the theatre seats though. I think when I fly home I will be able to not wear a seatbelt extender for the first time in 10 years. Which means I will cry like a baby on the plane but I deserve that!

So where am I going. Well I have 100 pounds left to lose. How fast I will lose it who knows? I have shifted (lost in American) almost 40 pounds in 4 months. Before that I was stalled for 6 months. My loss is sometimes steady sometimes not. Again read the above statement that we are not machines. I don't plan much by my weight loss as it sometimes surprises me.

People are starting to notice the loss. Whoooo! I say that with chagrin as I have lost more than most of the b*st*rds weigh. But who cares I am doing this for me.

I hope this gives some of you the strength you need to do this for yourself. The journey is hard I won't lie. Peeling away layers of your hidden self to reveal a new person within smarts a bit. But trust me... loving yourself enough to make that choice is the best decision you will ever make.

I'll speak to you again in 75 pounds.

God Bless,

Dawn B

P.S If you are a stats type of person I was 398/28st4/180.5Kg in the beginning and a size 34
I am 275/19st6/124.7Kg now and a size 24.
I am 5’11” and my goal weight is about 174/12st4/78.9Kg, which is a size 12 to 14 I think.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:19 PM   #69
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Reva72
Stats: Morbidly Obese
WOE: Weight Watchers plus
Start Date: 3/9/14
I want to start off by saying thanks to each and everyone on the boards. You have given me such wonderful support and enouragment. All the inspiration I have received on the boards is what has helped me succeed this far. I couldn't have done it alone.

I have been heavy all of my adult life and most of my teen years. My highest weight was 321 pounds which is what I started at when I began low carbing. I didn't even weigh that much nine months pregnant with my son who is now 3.

I have had asthma for many years and have taken many inhalers and meds for it. I was diagnosed with mitro valve insuffiency. I saw a cardiologist once a month for my extremely high blood pressure that was even high with meds. After only 3 months into this WOE my medications were cut down to almost nothing. I was on 11 different ones when I began and now only take one. My cholesterol has come down tremendously. I now have to see my heart Dr. every 9 months.

When I began Atkins on February 22, 2004 I was completely determined to get all this weight off and become healthy for myself and my kids. I knew I had to be 100% disciplined or I would not beable to succeed. In just a few days over 7 months I have lost a total of 101.5 pounds. I have quite a ways to goal till I reach my goal but I know I can do it. I am proud to say I have not had any illegal cheats or anything to prevent me from losing the weight. When I committed myself to this WOE I completely gave up all the junk that was very unhealthy for me. Nothing tempts me to cheat even. 8 months ago I couldn't have made it even a day without a 12 pack of pepsi and all the chocolate I could get my hands on.

I exercise for the most part at least 5 days a week. When I first started out I was only able to walk a short distance without tiring out. Now, I recently began jogging and it feels great. I do a exercise video workout at least 3 days a week.

I am not very good at writing stories about myself but I want to share my story with everyone the best way I know how.

Reva

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...s-journey.html

November goal is to reach 320 ( Goal met on 11/29/10)
December goal is to reach 305
(goal met on 1/01/11)
January goal is to reach 290(goal met on 1/25/11)
February goal is to reach 277(goal met 2/24/11)
Reva72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 03:29 PM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: idioglossic
Stats: 179/148/140 5'2"
WOE: Stillmans, low carb, low fat, low sodium, 2 meals
Start Date: August 29, 2004/Restart July 28, 2013
Yea to all of you..

I would weigh 300 ++ if I lived in the USA.. the available food is unbelievable..

My fight has lasted my WHOLE life and I am 54.. I never remember being
thin.. not at 7 not at 8 .... once when I was 34 and suffering from a terrible
divorce my weight fell to 119.. it was brief.. on Atkins in the 90's I got
to 134... with the book...now with this site.. I am going for 125..10 lbs under my goal just because of the guts, guts, guts of you folks...

On my island food, is scarce.. My fat is from pasta.. pasta plain, pasta with
bottled sause, pasta with oil and garlic.pasta pasta pasta... I am wearing
an over coat due to PASTA!!! Who told me pasta is not fattening????????

You folks are fantastic.. keep on keeping on.. love the body God gave you to live in!!!!!
GOAL 135 12/17/04
30 LB CLUB 11/25/04
40 LB CLUB 1/14/05
50 LB CLUB 5/16/05
60 LB CLUB 8/19/05[/color]
[color=PURPLE]729 CHEAT FREE DAYS THE ONLY PERSON I WAS FOOLING WAS MYSELF!!! [/color]
[color=red]The Sayonara CARBOnara Challenge *Colonel* GOAL[/color]
[color=green]"we need to love ourselves enough to give up entitlement thinking and start thinking in terms of what we need to do in order to be healthy." - Terry [/color]
Lowered goal to 120 1/10/05
idioglossic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:11 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: going_down
WOE: Counting Calories
Start Date: May 8, 2010
My 100 Pound Story

My 100 Pound Story

I started my Lean for Life journey after making some other lifestyle changes. One, I made some changes in my personal life. Two, I stopped putting chemicals in my hair to straighten it and realized that I was taking better care of my hair than my body. Working on my weight seemed to come next naturally.

This is my second time losing weight. The first time I was on a diet and had great success was lowest being 195 pounds from 291. As you can see, I gained that weight back and much more. This time I have a new WOE/WOL. I have learned to say “I don’t eat certain foods” vs. “I can’t have certain foods”.

I had excuses for the extra weight and people around me helped me validate those reasons. “I have big bones”, “I take after my grandmother”, “I don’t have high blood pressure or any other health problems” and “I carry my weight well” were just a few. I am no longer listening to those voices in my head. They are part of the denial that I am no longer living in.

I am a daily weigher. Part of my no more denial lifestyle. I stayed away from the scale for years. I refused to weigh. Anytime I would go to the doctor I would refuse to weigh. You know that saying what you don’t know won’t hurt you. That was my motto when it came to my weight. In reality it was just another denial tool.

I am working on what Lean for Life calls my “mental blueprint”. I am a middle child. I was the one they called Heavy Duty while my sister was called T-Bone. My step father thought the nicknames were cute and put it on the bikes we got for Christmas. I was one of the tallest kids in my class starting in elementary. I developed early so I was bigger than most girls in my class (chest & rear end). As a teenager, I watched what I ate and was very active, but I was still labeled the big one. Big little sis was another one of my nicknames. As I got older, I stopped the exercise and began to live the title people had given me. I say title given me because I now know that’s all it was. Although I was one of the tallest girls in class and larger than my sister; I was not an overweight child. I realize now that my childhood had an effected my self image. No matter what size I was, I only saw someone overweight. Changing my mental blueprint means seeing my true self at every stage. No more trick mirrors for me. I emphasize to my children how important it is to have good self esteem, a positive self image, and self love.

I realize that it takes not only eating right, but a lifetime commitment to exercise. My biggest downfall was exercise. I am happy to say it is no longer. I even consider it one of my strengths. To make myself exercise, I treated myself like a child. You can’t watch television unless you exercise. You can’t read your book tonight unless you exercise. When I started back in January weighing over 363 pounds, I could barely walk to my car in the parking lot. (I would get the closest spot available.) Now I park at the top of the hill and I’m not even breathing hard when I get to my car. No short of breath, no leg pains. How did I get to there? I started by moving, literally. For people who say I can’t exercise, I say you are wrong. I would turn on some music or stand in front of the TV and move. First it was 10 minutes, then 12 then 15 and so on until I got to 20 minutes. Then on a wonderful site called Low Carb Friends, I heard about Walk Away the Pounds. I had long ago seen an infomercial, but at that time I was not thinking of exercise. I found a set and started. The 1 mile tape was called the Easy Mile and it’s 15 minutes long. I thought I can do that. I had been moving for 20 minutes by now. Well the first few times I tried the easy mile I didn’t make it through the entire workout. Now I can do the 4 mile (1 hour) workout tape. I love WATP and I recommend it to anyone who doesn't like to exercise to give it a try.

After growing out of my size 32 jeans, I began to buy knit pants only. So I have gone from beyond a size 32 to a size 22 jean. In everything else I am an 18/20. When I started, I would buy button down shirts in a size 30/32 and could only wear them open as a layer piece. Now I can button down 18/20 tops. I now await the day I can wear my size 14 misses’ jeans again.

Some tips from Lean for Life that has helped me along the way. When out socializing, remember take the focus off of food. Are you celebrating a birthday, an anniversary, holiday, or whatever? Food is not the reason for the event. Try sugar free gum. Sometimes you just want to chew. It’s not hunger. Believe me I have an addiction for Trident sugar free gum. If you mess up (eat something you off plan, have a binge meal, or whatever), don’t beat yourself up. Don’t get pulled back into those old ways of feeling guilty and turning a pity party into a free for all. Get back on track immediately. You have to change your mind to change your body. I could go on and on. The Lean for Life book is a great read for anyone on any plan.

For my fellow Sisters in Sweat, I keep hearing Leslie saying: "You've just finished one mile. You ready for the next one? Okay, let's go right now! I have reached my first goal of 100 lbs gone forever. My next goal is to make it to Onderland and then to my final weight goal. My last and final goal is to be Lean for Life.

Praying, persisting, and persevering my way to goal

"Enough is enough. You have been battling getting fit and/or losing weight for far too long and you deserve to reach your goals and STAY THERE. It is time (RIGHT NOW) to burn the bridge behind you, become the new high-energy and healthy version of you that you know lies within you and then NEVER LOOK BACK!" - Jonnathan of the "NEWO".

Going_down's More than Weight Loss Journal
going_down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:19 AM   #72
Chi
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chi
Stats: 330/230/175
Start Date: 3/1/04
I changed my life

I have only posted here a couple of times but decided that now that I have a success story to share, I will post it.

On March 1, 2004 at 330 pounds, I decided to start this WOE. Since that day many things in my life have changed.

I have lost 130 pounds, I have gotten out of an abusive marriage, I have met the most amazing man...who loves me unconditionally.

For those of you that are thinking of starting this way of eating, take it from me, this is the most important decision you will ever make in your life. Seven months ago, I was close to giving up on myself forever. This was my last attempt at losing weight. I thank God that I made the decision that I made.

Besides the physical changes in my body, the way that I feel...inside...about myself...is unexplainable. I never felt worthy of love; I felt that I deserved being abused; I felt that no one could ever love me for who I was. During the weight loss, my self esteem improved little by little; I started to like myself...something I had never experienced.

I will never go back to the way I was before...inside or outside. If I can do this, anyone can. I was addicted to food...addicted to the way it made me feel. It was my friend, my lover, my comforter. Now, food is fuel for my body...the way it should be. Don't think you can't retrain yourself...because you can. If you would have told me 7 mos. ago that I would weigh less than I did in high school, I would have laughed. I never thought I would come this far. But I did...and thank God for that.

Chi

330/199/175
Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:18 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariposa79
Stats: 356/?/being happy with myself
Re: I changed my life

Quote:
Originally posted by Chi
On March 1, 2004 at 330 pounds, I decided to start this WOE. Since that day many things in my life have changed.

I have lost 130 pounds, I have gotten out of an abusive marriage, I have met the most amazing man...who loves me unconditionally.

Chi

330/199/175
Congratulations! Did you stick to Atkins the whole time? Please share your secret with us.
Mariposa79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #74
Chi
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chi
Stats: 330/230/175
Start Date: 3/1/04
Yes, I stuck to Atkins the whole time. I'm still on induction.

Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate all the support!

Chi
Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 02:43 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EarthTones
Stats: 414/341/180
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: March 2004
@ Chi...

I was moved by your story and just wanted to let you know that I am so happy to hear about your success. You came such a long way and are proof positive of ALL of the benefits of improving your WOE....not just relating to weight, but to everything else in our lives that need improvement or a little work.

EarthTones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AFwife
Stats: Yeah/About/That
Start Date: November 5, 2003
New to Forum!

Hello everyone, I'm AFwife and I new to this forum but not to lc'ing.

A bit about me, Today is my 31st birthday, WOO HOO.... I'm an Air Force wife, hence my ID name, married almost 5 years have 2 boys, Anthony is 11 yrs old and Lancelot is 2 yrs old. We are stationed in the UK, (England) and we are loving it here.

I started Atkins November of last year and in 7 months lost 110 pounds.

How I did it? Followed the book to the T and exercised 5 days a week.

My dh (darling husband) and the kids and I went to Scotland for a long weekend this past June, and I fell off the wagon and hard. OUCH! That just caused a chain reaction for 4 months. Gained back 30 of the 110 pounds and was very disappointed with myself.

I switched to South Beach as of last Monday and I'm now just 17 pounds away from getting back to where I left off.

Looking forward to making friends here, receiving support and giving support.

Glad to be here,

Lily...aka...AFwife

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]LILY[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]"Everyone is entitled to MY opinion."[/COLOR]

Last edited by AFwife; 10-24-2004 at 12:53 PM..
AFwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:54 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: IrishIrish
Stats: 494/318/1??
WOE: Atkins - Extended Induction/OWL (1)
Start Date: January 2004
New here but not new to Low Carb!

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here on occasion and reading about all of your wonderful journies through this new way of life.

I began my low carb journey on January 5, 2004. After years of dieting and yo-yo affects, I was finally at a point where I realized that it was no longer an option to continue escalating in weight. And it hit me. I may have only had one more recovery in me and I had to make sure that this time I did it right!

I read all the books and truthfully, Atkins, for me, most closely aligned with a program that I thought we could follow. And so we began. Commitment was the key for us, so we cleaned out our pantry by giving most of the carb laden processed foods away and we started with the Acceptable Food List for Induction and the Rules of Induction. I still have a rather tattered list at my side most of the time!

I formulated our menus and began simply. Eggs, ham and mushrooms in the morning, chicken salad or tuna salad with celery and other raw veggies at lunch, and seafood, beef or poultry at dinner with a salad and/or other veggies. And I'd have snacks of turkey, cheese, pepperoni, deviled eggs throughout the day. We rely on whole foods and do not eat "frankenfoods" or "low carb" commercially developed products.

In only a few weeks, I began to see the difference. For me, it was those differences that kept me motivated along with a group of supportive friends. That's key and probably why most of us are here. Medically, the changes over the months were amazing. I've been able to reduce my insulin, significantly, as well as eliminate an oral med I used for diabetes. My HmgA1C has dropped to a healthy level. My mobility has improved, somewhat. I had been immobile and used a walker, canes or crutches. I very rarely use a cane these days.

Happily I can report that eleven plus months later, I've lost 136 pounds and my husband has lost 60 pounds. I have a long way to go, but I feel like I have many of the answers that I once searched for.

Over the next year, I have new goals. Mine aren't "pounds lost" goals as much as they are "health" goals. This year, I hope to decrease my reliance on medication for diabetes and am well supported in that regard, medically and with Dr. Bernstein's book, Diabetes Solution.

If you are searching for solutions ... educate yourself by reading and listening to others sharing what they have learned. Losing weight and achieving good health is a process and not an event. And while some may feel the "cheats" are part and parcel of long term weight loss, they don't have to be. I often tell people I know I have a million cheats left inside me, but I may only have one recovery. Be sure to incorporate exercise, water and vitanutrients. While it is a food and exercise journey for me, it is also a spiritual journey.

My best to all for a healthy, safe and low carb holiday!

IrishIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:43 AM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Scarlet Witch
Stats: 420/340/180
WOE: mdofied atkins, akin to the south beach diet
Start Date: jan 2002
*WAVE* sorta newbie person here, my story? you sure you wanna know? *L*

My parents were a SAHM and a truck driver. both of which are compulsive adictive folks. yep. screwed before i began! *L* they are great people, though dad has crossed over. it was realy his death that got my feet firmly on the path of this weightloss. before he died, he was a severe insulin injection required diabetic, high blood pressure high cholesterol, 1 heart surgery w/ 5 bypass's before he turned 55.
i have ALWAYS been overweight. i don't remeber ever being small. when i was in the 6th grade, i was a size 18, womens 18!! i went through all the crud that anyone different goes through, the name calling and general discrimination. when i was 17 i got married. that kinda ended badly 6 yrs later. i went on to have 2 kids, never losing weight , steadily gaining till i saw a pic of my beautiful son. he was 9 at the time, and WELL on his way to being fat, already suffering from others ridicule. so.. i tried the atkins then, didn't work. couple years later dad pass's, at that point i weighed 420 if not more. i couldn't walk more than say 20 ft without needing to rest, my feet & legs were swollen so badly they had blisters that when busted? were nothing but water. i was miserable and so were my kids. i had been on prozac for the depression but they screwed me up after bout a year, so i stopped taking them. with dads death came a quiet epiphany, though it would be a couple of years before it realy took hold in my soul. i got back on the atkins diet, though, allowing myself as much rommaine salads, and or broccoli /cauliflower as i wanted. soon, the weight began coming off. within the last year, i've gone back to college, just started fall qrtr. doing great, walking alot on campus. my Dr. declared me disabled due to the arthritis that is a drect result of the weight.
in any event, there is this reservoir localy, that i couldn't do more than say a 10th of it before i was near collapse from it. now? i can walk around it, and barely be out of breath!! my house is clean ..truly clean for the fist time i can ever remember.
someone threw an old excersise bike to the curb and yep, you got it i, snagged it. been using it since. we don't have alot of $$ so i had to make do. 5 days a week i ride it for the first 5-7 songs off the Evanesse4nce CD FALLEN.
the ones i weep for are my kids. truly ..once upon a time, they should have been taken from me. it KILLS me to see how i neglected them!! Goddess!! but now, i am happy to say that has changed..my daughter still remebers how "mommy would sleep all the time" not anymore..we go places & we do things, MOMMY actualy gets up and plays with them!! slowly we are becoming happier.
truly thin people have no clue what a PRISON the weight is!! as i said, i was more than 420...now? round bout 340 or less, i go more by the clothe sizes i wear. i used to be a 6X from catherines store here in lima, now? i can wear a big mens 3X from wallmart, and those are baggy. would be in smaller clothes but i have this stomach..that is now several inches lower causing me problems! *L* the sheer joy of being able to shop at walmart!! YAY ME!! cheap and comfy!! BOOYAH!! i can buy bra's at walmart now!! alot of folks do not know what a thrill that is!! my ultimate goal is a size 18 or a 180 lbs , whichever i reach first. neat thing bout my kinfolks? we all pack what weight we carry well, so at 180 i'll look more like 150! soon hoping to get skin removed stomach frst then the on my arms an legs. i used to have to sit down in the shower ..couldn't stand for too long. now? can stand a few hours and while irritating not anything truly GRUELING! *L* we have come along way from where we were. see, my son? he lost weight to. he at the age of 11 wears a size boys 20. he's almost as tall as me so thats pretty good, he's thin again!! and he is so very happy about it!! also, he has ADHD and other issues, the weight and or food issues REALY do effect various disorders..he is better now, making good grades and moderate headway with the ADHD and my girl? she's 7, was getting a bit chubby but has since just gotten taller not rounder. she is in the local "Gifted " child program. it's called ARTS MAGNET, she was brought into the rpogram because her grades were so good, it's marvelous to see her blossum, they are teaching her ballet, and music and art..and drama!! *L* it's wonderful..and all this has come from losing the weight..can you imagine what we will accomplish as a family, what I will accomplish when more is lost, and my goal is reached and maintained! gonna be SSSWWEEETTT!! hope i didna bore anyone! take care and keep at it folks!! *HUGGLES*!
Scarlet Witch

PS: if you wanna know more just ask me..i'm pretty much an oepn book, and happy to help anyone trying to lose!!
PSS: i had tried to get the stomach surgery thats so polular now, but..seems that the med. ins. that we had, would only cover the surgery if you are damn near knocking at deaths door, i was not, my heart is pretty good, my BP is actualy low enough to freak the doc's out(always has been good to get an eyebrow raise and a glare from the docs), and my cholesterol was/is nicely under 200. rather glad now, losing the weight without going under "Da'Knife"!
Scarlet Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 06:31 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: brandyxoxo25
Stats: 295/290/195
WOE: Eating for a healthy LC Pregnancy!
Start Date: 11/09/2010
Here I am FINALLY!!!!!!!!

This feels SO amazing!!!!!! In 8 short months I have gone from 307lbs to 207lbs!!! If you had told me 8 months ago that I was about to lose 100lbs I would have laughed in your face! So, I guess I should tell you a little bit about me and how I overcame my weight problem.

On the morning of May 22, 2004 I tested my blood sugar, just like I had been doing since I found out I had type 2 diabetes a year earlier. Fasting it read 299!!! This terrified me! I was already taking medication and couldn’t figure out why it was still so high. My mother was actually the one that opened my eyes. She said, “Just because you are taking a pill doesn’t mean that you can eat whatever you want, Brandy!” I cried for a few minutes looked at my 5yr old daughter, and decided right then and there that I was going to change my life! Within my first month of Atkins I was able to completely go off my meds, and my diabetes has disappeared! It has now been 8 months since I started and I have lost 100lbs!
Some of the things that have helped me along the way are:

1. I NEVER cheat! Not even a little, I’m too scared that I will fall back into old habits.
2. I have the support of my family and friends. They help me in any way they can!
3. I come to LCF every single day. Without this site I don’t know if I could have made it this far.
4. I NEVER put “Low Carb” products into my body.
5. I listen to the compliments that people give me. So many times people will compliment us and we say “Thank You”, but don’t really believe what they are saying. I know now that I AM BEAUTIFUL! This keeps me going.
6. Lastly, I think one of the things that motivates me the most is that I know that I WILL actually make it to goal this time! I still have about 50lbs to go. That isn’t so far off, and until then I am going to enjoy the ride!!!

On New Years Eve this year something really wonderful happened to me. I got kissed just after midnight! I have always dreamed in some fantasy of sort that some day this would happen. And it was on that night that I realized that it wasn’t because I was thin, because I’m far from it, but it was because I now have confidence! I am beautiful, because I feel beautiful, and other people see that! It’s been a LONG time since I’ve been in the dating game! In fact, I have only ever had one serious relationship. Losing this weight had given me more gifts than I ever could have imagined! I am healthy! I can play and run with my daughter! We even go roller skating together! LOL! I look great, and I get to shop in normal size clothing stores again! Men notice me now! I feel better than I did when I was a teenager, maybe because I weigh less now then I did then! LOL!

I wanted to share this experience with all of you, because I see so many people on this site that don’t realize exactly what they have and are accomplishing. Take a minute to stop and really look at yourself, you are beautiful!!
Thank you all so much for your support and love, I truly owe you all my life!

Love, Brandy

Holy Crap, I'm Pregnant!!
brandyxoxo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: brandyxoxo25
Stats: 295/290/195
WOE: Eating for a healthy LC Pregnancy!
Start Date: 11/09/2010

brandyxoxo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RBear62767
Stats: 280/145/150
WOE: Nothing white!
Start Date: 9/4/01
My story

Well, this is my own story of 100 pounds lost. I'll cut and paste this up in the 100 pound lost thread, but I thought I'd post it here for all to see first.

I'm going to try to keep this as short and to the point as I possibly can. I'll tell you right up front that there are no magic formulas. What works for some will not work for others. I am a slow loser, but I was determined to never give up. I did not care if it took me 10 years to lose 100 pounds, I was going to do it. Let me add, that I'm human. I lost 100 pounds by losing two pounds one week and gaining back three the next in water weight, then being down five the next week. This was a struggle. It's taken me 3 1/2 years to lose this weight, but there's something to the old addage "Slow and steady wins the race."

I basically lost my weight in three major chunks. The first 50 I lost doing hardcore Atkins. The next 30 I lost doing a modified Fat Flush Plan diet. The last 20 I lost through good old sweat, drive and determination. I know I'm setting a poor example, but I didn't set foot in a gym until I was about 195 pounds. Now you can't drag me out of there! I love the changes I see in my body. Things are tightening up. I'm in the best shape of my life so far. Stay tuned, I'm only going to get in even better shape.

My life has changed quite a bit since I started this WOE. My marriage has strengthened. What used to be a good marriage is now mentally, spiritually and physically far beyond anything I thought I would ever have in my life. I've gotten so much confidence back that my professional life is exploding. Every day I wake up and I know that I have the control to never go back to what life was before. I'm so happy that I made the decision to do this for myself.

If I could give one piece of advice to everyone here it would simply be NEVER GIVE UP. If you have a bad day and make a poor choice start over that very second. Don't be afraid to come here for help or a kick in the pants. Don't walk away. Don't be a quitter.

I've gotten a lot of support around here. There are so many people that have given me kind words, a pat on the back, a word of advice when I needed it. I hesitate to mention names, but to name a few in no particular order for either their kind words or inspiration.............Jaxy, Mike, Caro, CaroleIK60, Brandy, divinem, choirmom, snowrose, GBL, Glimmerella, CarolinaRose, OldRose, VQ, ditto, bonbon, cheri, jeLLo, sandy, fitbefore40, jetblack, AnnieM, pattysparkle, tiggeroz, jillybug. Big hugs to you all.

Where to go from here? I'm still exercising. I'm going to ride this one out. My body will stop losing when it's good and ready. Anything below what I am right now is just icing on the cake for me. I'm going to change my goal to a big old question mark. Time will tell.

Now for the best part...........the pictures....bear with me. I know they're gonna be huge!

Here was me at my heaviest, around 280........

Here I'm around 200.....seeing improvement

And this past weekend down 101 pounds!!!!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, (lowcarb) chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!
RBear62767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:35 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RBear62767
Stats: 280/145/150
WOE: Nothing white!
Start Date: 9/4/01
My story

Well, this is my own story of 100 pounds lost. I'll cut and paste this up in the 100 pound lost thread, but I thought I'd post it here for all to see first.

I'm going to try to keep this as short and to the point as I possibly can. I'll tell you right up front that there are no magic formulas. What works for some will not work for others. I am a slow loser, but I was determined to never give up. I did not care if it took me 10 years to lose 100 pounds, I was going to do it. Let me add, that I'm human. I lost 100 pounds by losing two pounds one week and gaining back three the next in water weight, then being down five the next week. This was a struggle. It's taken me 3 1/2 years to lose this weight, but there's something to the old addage "Slow and steady wins the race."

I basically lost my weight in three major chunks. The first 50 I lost doing hardcore Atkins. The next 30 I lost doing a modified Fat Flush Plan diet. The last 20 I lost through good old sweat, drive and determination. I know I'm setting a poor example, but I didn't set foot in a gym until I was about 195 pounds. Now you can't drag me out of there! I love the changes I see in my body. Things are tightening up. I'm in the best shape of my life so far. Stay tuned, I'm only going to get in even better shape.

My life has changed quite a bit since I started this WOE. My marriage has strengthened. What used to be a good marriage is now mentally, spiritually and physically far beyond anything I thought I would ever have in my life. I've gotten so much confidence back that my professional life is exploding. Every day I wake up and I know that I have the control to never go back to what life was before. I'm so happy that I made the decision to do this for myself.

If I could give one piece of advice to everyone here it would simply be NEVER GIVE UP. If you have a bad day and make a poor choice start over that very second. Don't be afraid to come here for help or a kick in the pants. Don't walk away. Don't be a quitter.

I've gotten a lot of support around here. There are so many people that have given me kind words, a pat on the back, a word of advice when I needed it. I hesitate to mention names, but to name a few in no particular order for either their kind words or inspiration.............Jaxy, Mike, Caro, CaroleIK60, Brandy, divinem, choirmom, snowrose, GBL, Glimmerella, CarolinaRose, OldRose, VQ, ditto, bonbon, cheri, jeLLo, sandy, fitbefore40, jetblack, AnnieM, pattysparkle, tiggeroz, jillybug. Big hugs to you all.

Where to go from here? I'm still exercising. I'm going to ride this one out. My body will stop losing when it's good and ready. Anything below what I am right now is just icing on the cake for me. I'm going to change my goal to a big old question mark. Time will tell.

Now for the best part...........the pictures....bear with me. I know they're gonna be huge!

Here was me at my heaviest, around 280........

Here I'm around 200.....seeing improvement

And this past weekend down 101 pounds!!!!
RBear62767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zeraspride
Stats: Highest 282.5 CW: 265 GW: 160
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 5/21/12
My 100 pound lost story . . .

Okay, I’ve been fooling around with the idea of making my 100 pound post. I’ve found lots of excuses not to post it from I’m waiting to take some pictures to go with my post to I want to make sure the 100 pounds stick and several other crazy reasons but deep down inside I think the reason I haven’t written the post is that I’m afraid I’ll jinx myself somehow. Like somehow writing my 100 pound post will cause me to go off on a binge where I’ll wake up 10 pounds heavier. That’s silly, I know so here goes:

I started low carbing (South Beach) when I saw my sister in law and she had lost 70 pounds on Atkins. I could not get over how wonderful she looked. I wanted those results. You see, I have been heavy, overweight, obese, fat, phat, plump, chubby or any other version of the word you care to use all my life. I don’t ever recall shopping in regular stores. I have always shopped at Lane Bryant or some large ladies clothing store like that. My sisters were all thin and it was a puzzlement to me why I was the “fat” one. Of course I was eating a 20 piece chicken mcnugget, double cheeseburger, large order of fries, soda and a cheese danish with a glass of milk on a regular basis for lunch and an entire pint of butter pecan ice cream after a carby dinner every night, so go figure!

Anyway, back to my sister in law, she did Atkins so I told my hubby, who was also obese that we were going to do Atkins too. He agreed when he saw his sister. That was in October of 2003. We set a start date of December 1, 2003 because we had a vacation on Hilton Head Island planned for late November to celebrate our anniversary and I intended to go out of the carb world with a bang! One day at work someone overheard me saying that I was going to start Atkins soon and they recommended South Beach instead. This coworker let me borrow his book and told me about the success he and his wife had with the program. That is the only reason we went with SBD over Atkins. I read the SBD book and was convinced I could eat this way for life.

We went on our carbfest, I mean, vacation and as promised we started the program on December 1, 2003. I weighed in at an unbelievable 282.5 pounds. I could not believe I was almost 300 pounds and am only 5’1” (okay, I’m really a little bit shorter than that). In the first two weeks I lost 14 pounds and by the first month I had lost 20. I was thrilled. I discovered lowcarbfriends and have joined several support groups along the way. Speaking of lowcarbfriends, I want to thank each and everyone of you for your encouragement and support. I want to especially thank the ladies on the South Beach thread (I won’t name names because I don’t want to forget anyone) and the ladies on the Firm Freaks (Video Vixens) thread on the exercise board. They have been so nurturing to me, especially when I felt like I wanted to give up because I was frustrated with a stall or thought I couldn’t do certain exercise. These ladies helped me come out of my comfort zone and reach levels of fitness that I never knew I had in me!

It’s funny when I think about it now, but I have gone from not being able to go up the 17 stairs in our condo to sometimes doing 2 cardio and weight work outs per day. I strive to get at least 1000 minutes of exercise per month. You could say I’m focused, determined or just plain old obsessed with working out but it feels so good to push myself. I started off on a stationary bike but switcbed to the Firm work out tapes after the first month. I have since added Cathe Friedrich work outs to my rotation and love them! My favorite right now is Cathe’s boot camp work out. That one kicks your booty!

As of today (well Sunday actually) I have lost 102 pounds. It has taken me 16 months to do so. I have gone from wearing a size 26/28 to a size 12. My shoe size went from a 9 to an 8 and 7-1/2 sometimes. I have lost more than 100 inches off my body. My waist measures about 30 inches and my chest has gone from 54 inches to 38 inches. I no longer wear my wedding ring on my ring finger because it slides off. If someone would have told me a year ago that I would be stressing over whether I wanted to be a size 10 or go for a size 8, I would have told them that they were losing their mind! But here I am! I still have 27.5 pounds to lose to get to my goal of 153 pounds. After that I might go down another 5 or even 10 pounds. I thinking a goal size is more important to me than my eventual goal weight so basically when I can wear a size 8 I’m done. I frankly never thought at my current weight (180.5 pounds) that I would be wearing size 12’s. Low carb living and intense regular exercise have shown me that anything is possible so who knows when I’ll be in a size 8. I am done after that though, even though I know I won’t be at the “ideal” weight the charts suggest. I will happily maintain and I know maintenance will present it’s own challenges.

When I decided to make this post, I wasn’t sure what my motivation was. Bragging rights? To get “woohoo’s” and “way to go girl’s” from people. Nope. I realized I wanted to post my story because it just might help someone. I can’t tell you all how reading about the other 100, 200 and 300 pound loser stories have inspired me. These people have struggled just like I have. I used to think you had to be some kind of super human to lose a ton of weight. I would read the success stories and “wish”, “hope”, and “dream” it could somehow magically happen for me. What I have found is that you have to do more than wish, hope and dream. You have to walk the walk each day. You have to pass up that donut, ice cream, ho-ho and mac & cheese. But that doesn’t mean you have to be deprived. I have enjoyed just about every type of food I want but in some type of low carb fashion. I know cheating is a personal matter but I feel for me that cheating is a slippery slope that could put me back up at my top weight and I don’t want that. I know going off plan works for some people but I don’t think it would work for me.

Today marks 461 days of being cheat free for me. But I admit it has not always been easy. Some days this way of life is a piece of cake (no pun intended) but some days, it’s a fight and a struggle. It has been more a mental challenge than anything else. Sometimes my negative inner voice tries to get the best of me. I call her Negative Nelly. She tries to tell me I’m not worthy, I should just stop because I won’t keep the weight off, people are waiting to see me fail, then they’ll laugh. She sometimes tells me not to work out in the morning and just sleep in or that I should “treat” myself to some carby no-no. When she does that I say “I’m not having this dialogue with you.” I simply stop the mental conversation with myself. Just like I’d scold my son for sassing me, I scold that inner voice that tells me negative things. It doesn’t always work but the more weight I lose and the better I look and feel the more I win out over Negative Nelly’s influences.

You can too. If you have a lot of weight to lose, don’t think you are somehow different from anyone else on this site. You are not. You can do it. It might take you longer than some. I didn’t think it would take me this long to lose 100 pounds. Others have done it in a lot shorter time but that’s okay. I am doing it! If you have a slip, don’t let it be a slide down into a carb bit that it takes you months or years to climb out of. Take it one day at a time. Drink your water. Measure yourself if the evil scale isn’t cooperating. Exercise, exercise, exercise. Don’t give in to temptation. You’ll feel so powerful and in control when you discipline yourself and stay focused.

In conclusion, I’ll say this. I was just telling my hubby (who lost about 60 pounds) last night that I don’t have control over most things in life. Not whether I’ll have a job tomorrow, not the weather and certainly not other people. But I CAN control what I put in my mouth and I can control whether I make daily exercise a priority. You my friends, have the same control, all you have to do is use it! I look forward to reading your 100 pound story soon!

If food is not the problem, eating is not the solution!

Better to have 100 enemies outside your car than one enemy in the car with you - an Arabian proverb

Down 12.8 pounds
zeraspride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:35 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pdianne
Stats: 300/ DONE - size 6, 150 and happy
Start Date: June 2003
OK, I'm significantly past 100 pounds gone (yay!) but here's my story so far (I can be such a procrastinator)...

I had reached a point in my life where I had just had enough. I didn't fit into regular bathroom stalls, I didn't fit in chairs at restaurants, and I was about to outgrow even Lane Bryant clothes. Even more importantly, I was tired of being tired and not able to do the things I wanted to do. At the time we lived on five acres with horses, dogs, chickens and a garden. I loved being active and taking care of these things but I just couldn't do everything I wanted - it wasn't physically possible.

Then there were the health issues. High cholesterol and Type 2 diabetes run rampant in my family - not to mention cancer. I love life and didn't want to have to deal with the things I saw my other family members dealing with. I decided enough was enough.

It's not that I hadn't tried to lose the weight before. I've been overweight all of my adult life. I never got into the fad diets (the cabbage diet, the grapefruit diet, etc.), as I knew those were just bad news. Instead, I did what the doctors and nutritionists said to do - low fat high carb. You know, they say a sign of insanity is that you do the same thing over and over expecting different results. That's what I did with low fat dieting. I kept expecting it to work and it never did. I thought I just wasn't trying hard enough. Eventually I just gave up and ate whatever, whenever.

By happy circumstance (the Universe does provide...) at the time when I had decided that enough was enough I had met someone who had done Atkins and lost considerable weight. In fact, I met her for the first time about 6 months before I reached my decision point. I am sure that seeing her success is responsible at least in part for pushing me into this decision. I also had a co-worker who was doing Atkins and having good success.

So, being the geek that I am, I asked my friends tons of questions, did a lot of research and a lot of reading. I bought DANDR and read it cover to cover. What he said made tons of sense to me. His description of a carb addict fit me to a "T".

So, I set a date, did a weekend carb fest splurge and started in on induction. The detoxifying process was horrible. Fortunately my co-worker was there to offer me support and advice. Let me tell you, though, after I was done detoxifying I felt incredible. I had tons of energy throughout the day and slept soundly at night. I was even able to stop taking my sleeping aid.

I have been through a lot since I started this WOL. I separated from my partner, lost my home, lost my animals, lost my car and moved to a new city where I knew nobody. Throughout it all I was never seriously tempted to go back to old habits. Sure, I had passing thoughts to that effect but never seriously considered it. Why in the world would I sabotage the one thing in my life that made me feel good? This was the one thing I could absolutely control and I was bound and determined to stick with it no matter what. I knew I was worth it.

I have been and will probably always be an emotional eater. Like many, everything in my family revolved around food. Now I am able to recognize and control this and that's the difference.

I exercise, keep my net carbs to around 30 / day and eat mostly clean (although I am not fanatic about it). At this point I'm losing ~2-3 pounds / week. My goal is 140 and toned and I hope to get there by my two-year Atkinsversary (mid-June).

(you can see my progress pics in my gallery)

[COLOR=Magenta]Pam[/COLOR]
pdianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #85
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LFTS
Stats: 338|197.5; now 240.5|213|160
Start Date: June 24, 2003
Okay, I'm Guilty!

I'm guilty of not posting here when I finally got past that 100 pound mark. So, today, I'm going to make that right.

When I first came to LCF and the CC, I read the 100, 200, 300 pound success story stickies -- and cried my eyes out. I cried until my lungs hurt, until I couldn't see. I envied all of you. I was so impressed with the strength, the determination, the success of each of you; and still am, to this day. I longed for the day when I could be counted among you. And that day came. I'm still not sure why I delayed writing my own story; perhaps, it's because it's not finished, yet.

At the time of this writing, I've lost 134 pounds, with about 80 or so to go. When I first came here, I wasn't sure LC would work for me; I'd tried so many diets, and it had been a few years since I'd given a serious try. Even my doctor had said I was fat because of genetics, and there probably wasn't much I could do about it, so why fight it, right? Why not just be fat, and happy? I'd never been able to lose more than 40 pounds--and I knew 40 pounds was gonna just be a drop in the hat.

I was fat. But happy? No. I knew I was deluding myself. I found myself longing for the things that I used to be able to do; to walk easily, to enjoy the outdoors, to be part of normal life (what's normal, anyway, other than a suburb of Bloomington, Illinois?)... We've all been there. We lose those things in degrees, we don't see them slipping away until they're long gone.

338 pounds was the first weight I knew; I probably started this WOL (Atkins) closer to 350, since I didn't own a scale that would weigh me at the time. 338 was a couple of weeks into it. So that's my starting number.

At 338, walking down my driveway to the mailbox made me feel like I needed a rest. I often didn't check the mail for days because of it. Or I'd drive the riding mower, or my car, down the driveway. When I'd go somewhere with DH and DD, I'd be left behind because I couldn't keep up; I'd take frequent rests. DH was/is a coach, DD is a competitive softball player, and going to tournaments was a horrible trial that just about left me in tears, being left alone to haul chairs, coolers, in Arkansas summer heat, sometimes for blocks, alone... and taking far too long to do it.

I remember, when my daughter was 8 and playing in a state tournament, that I got overheated and ended up with diahrea. I didn't make it to the bathroom in time. I had to spend the rest of the game watching from the parking lot, embarassed, sitting in my own mess, in our pickup truck. I had to drive 40 miles home after that, alone, crying, while DH and DD continued on, and caught a ride home with someone else.

Who wants to live like that? Do *you*? Not me.

So the time came when I had to make a decision. DD's team was headed for Orlando, Florida, for the USSSA World Series -- and the walk into Disney's Wide World of Sports complex is probably close to or over a mile, not even including the walk from the parking lot. How could a woman who couldn't walk down the driveway make it?!? DH suggested renting a wheel chair. The idea of that made me physically sick to my stomach. Had I made myself handicapped by my own weight?

Yes. And as someone who worked toward a special ed related degree in college, married to a special ed teacher, in a family of people who have birth defects and have fought through them, the realization that I had handicapped *myself* disgusted me.

So I started the last lifestyle change I'll ever need, that late June day in 2003. At first, I wasn't going to exercise, and then decided that if I was going to make that walk into the Disney Wide World of Sports complex, I was going to have to make the effort and work up to it.

I started by walking for 5 minutes. And then 7. 8. 10. I worked up a couple of minutes every so often, when I thought I could take it. And by the end of July, I proudly walked into that ballpark. I won't lie; I had to rest, I had to walk it alone, I had to take it slow. But I *made* it. I had not been so proud of myself in years!

Since that day, I have not looked back. I haven't cheated. I haven't missed anything about that life; it really doesn't exist anymore. I buckled down, hard, and worked my butt off -- literally.

I did hit some roadblocks, the biggest being last spring, when I had worked hard and managed to pull off walking 3 miles a day around the edges of my property; I live in the country, and making that morning walk was a ritual. I'd also started working light weights on machines at the gym. But I took a hard fall at a ballpark, and twisted my right knee, in addition to jamming it on my dishwasher door. It hurt so badly that I finally gave up walking, one morning, and called the doctor.

He told me that I'd damaged my knee, and to stop walking. He referred me to an orthopedic surgeon, but in the meantime, ordered an MRI, and told me that the results showed a torn meniscus (knee cartilege) and damaged MCL (ligament). I'd have to stop walking entirely.

The orthopedic surgeon confirmed the damage, but told me he was more concerned about the degenerative arthritis in both knees, and that I'd eventually need total knee replacement of both knees. I asked him about my goals of playing tennis and golf; he said maybe *after* surgery. No walking. No nothing. My only choice, as far as he was concerned, was to strengthen the muscles around the knee, and do very light exercise.

I had to make a choice: I'd already committed to a new lifestyle. This was a major thing for me, to get shot down like that when I'd been making tremendous progress. I decided to not accept his diagnosis. To not change what I had set out as goals for myself. At that point, this WOL switched from being about weight loss to being totally about *health*.

Today, I'm down 134 pounds. A year ago, I could barely drive without extreme pain; this morning, I went 3 miles on the treadmill, some of it jogging. I followed it with weight lifting... including squats (195 pounds!), lunges, calf exercises. I haven't played tennis or golf yet, but it's only because no one will play me! (Chickens!!!!) Two years ago, I would have laughed at you for suggesting that I would actually take up weight lifting and LIKE it. And no, I've had no surgery on my knees... and no more pain, either.

I can't begin to tell you how my life has changed. I've climbed mountains. I've biked. I've hiked. This past summer, we headed off for another USSSA World Series; I didn't think twice about the walk into anything, let alone the stadium, and lemme tell ya, *this* summer we're heading to Panama City for Nationals, and I'm gonna be the tan chick boogying down the beach in between games.

Since Day 1 on this WOL, I have not cheated. Yeah, that's damned hard--well, until you get to where you're used to it, you accept it, and in your head, cheating is no longer an option because it's not even a consideration. I got here through hard work; but I also got here because it's *rewarding* work. I've been dedicated to exercise, and firmly believe I would not have been successful without it; for the first time, exercise in my life is non-negotiable.

My advice? Strength comes in levels. Do what little you can, but be strong about it; don't let yourself make deals with yourself. Don't cheat. This is *not* a punishment. It's a change of your inner self, and accepting that your life is better without these things is part of it.

When I was young, I drank too much, I hung around with people who smoked pot and got that lovely secondary high. I made the choice to leave those things behind for the betterment of my life. I made the same choice, quitting smoking cold-turkey (3 pack a day habit) going on 3 years ago. I loved smoking, but I knew I needed to stop.

And when it came to understanding that carbs were doing me the same harm, I had to accept that they could no longer be part of my life. I cut them out in the same way I cut out the other bad habits. Hard work? Hell, yes, but I would no sooner consider cheating than I would consider picking up smoking again. There's no way I could smoke for a day and put it down. It's gone from my life, no regrets.

Today, at 43, I'm the healthiest I've ever been. Yes, I've got a bit to go yet; I'm a work in progress. But even when I reach that goal line, I'll continue to be a work in progress; the focus will change to something else, something I can do to make my life even better. It's about building a better me, and every single day is another investment.

I want to point out that it's not about weight, anymore. Yes, I still want to lose down to around 120. I've been in a *weight* stall since about last December; 4 months. But during that time, I've gotten much stronger, and I'm still making progress. I'm not even really frustrated about it anymore; I know I'm still getting better, healthier, stronger, leaner. And sooner or later, the scales will cooperate. In the meantime, I'm still looking forward to stomping someone's butt in tennis or golf.

Any takers?

338 | 197.5 - first time

240.5 | 210.5 |160 FINAL time

Those Who Weight Project

I can be a warrior, or I can be a victim. For the warrior, no excuses; for the victim, only excuses.
LFTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #86
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: skssam
Stats: 267/146/147 goal
Start Date: 02/03/2001
This Post is Way Over Due!~~I kept Putting off!~~

Hi my Name Is Sandy (Skssam)~~I have been Low carbing for over 4 years with a few Bumps in the road!~~

I Put this Post off because I have been waiting to Buy a new Digital Camera to add new pictures with this Post!~Because our Old one died~But since I do not know when this will happen I decided I needed to Post my "I Made Goal Post " anyways and Add new Pictures when I am able to!~~

I still need to Post to the 100 lbs lost but there I thought my Story would be lost with so many wonderful Stories there already but I will Copy and Paste this there too!~~

Okay, here is my story.

I was very ill with health problems . I couldn't even walk 6 blocks with out having chest pains and being out of breath. I was taking sometimes up to 4 Nitros a day for chest pains, and I was on 7 different Medications.

I was diagnoised with diabetes and had lost function of one of my Kidneys due to extremely high blood pressure ~ 253/160!

The doctor had never seen, or talked to, anyone who was alive (or not comotose) with that high of a blood pressure reading.

I also had an enlarged heart due to my high blood pressure. I was scheduled for a Nuclear Treadmill Test with an heart specialist. When I went in for a pre- visit, she said that my diabetes and other health conditions could be reversed (except for my enlarged heart), and that I could could prevent further heart damage. She said I needed to change how I ate and that I needed to read and follow either Protein Power, or Dr. Atkins. She said that she had been doing the Dr. Atkins WOE for over 5 months. So I went out and bought both books and decided on The Atkins Plan because of the ketosis.

After the first 10 months on this WOL, I had lost 67 lbs and over 65 inches. But most important, is the fact that I had gained my health back.

I am Now 100% In good health, ( I still only have one Kidney) Low carbing has improved the function of it Tho Yah!~~And I have made huge strides. I never have to take nitro. I no longer have angina, And I Now no Longer have an enlarged heart either Yah!~~( Which I thought was not suppose to be able to be reversed I was told)

My blood sugars for diabetes are perfect without medications,. Also, I no longer have anxiety. I was off of 6 of my medications after Just the first 2 months of low carbing!~

I now can walk 5 to 7 miles a day 5 days a week with no problems .I no longer have heart burn or constipation. I use to have to take a nap everyday, and now I never need a nap and have so much more energy!

I no longer live in a fog.
I used to stay home to avoid seeing people and only went shopping when I had to. ( Now I am the Queen of Shopping)
I am more out going and Happy.

I had found a website in April of 2001 called www.Atkins&friends.com and all I can say, is that with out all my friends love and support that I found here in the Century Club, I probably would have never made it Goal weight. But this site has the very best support anywhere. I recommend anyone who is making a whole lifestyle of eating low carb , to come here. You will be glad you did.

My journey is not over. I have Lost Now a Total of 120 lbs And I used to wear a size 24 Pants and 3x tops and Now I wear a size 8/10 pants and size 12/tops (mediums)

my Jorney will never End because maintaining is Just as much of the Journey as losing!~,
but I do know
That I Will Eat This Way
~ The Low Carb Way~
for the Rest Of my Life. My Advice is to never give up even if you Stumble and fall Just Keep coming to the CC No matter what for support!~ Take your Supplements , Drink your water and get some form Of excercise started~~~ And you will Know when you Have reached your Goal when you get there it may Not always be a Number on the scale!~I was at this weight for well over a year before I realized that I am happy at this weight!~ Remeber this is your Journey so Enjoy the walk my friends!~~~ Your LC Friend Always Sandy

Highest weight: 267
Current weight:146 /147(Made Goal)
Started Atkins on 2/03/01 @ 237, with a few bumps along the way 121 lbs lost

My Eating Plan is always Low carb~~
skssam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #87
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: HappyMe
I did it! I made to 100 lbs lost!!!!! I did it.. Me!!
Today as I weighed, I've got alot going on. It looks like next week I will be in day treatment for a short while (I hope).. to get my life back together. I'm going off the deep end alot lately, and don't have control over many parts of my life.

I copied this from a previous post.. it explains most all of it.

When I got married in 1991, I had just turned 20 and was 230 lbs I think. I didn't think I was fat. I was just... plump. Cute. Anyhow, it was all a fairy tale and we were two kids growing up together and in so much love. My life was perfect. In 1992 at Xmas time I started having breathing problems, and my parents were going to get divorced and were putting me in the middle a lot. Psychodad was in rare form every day. I hardly ever talked to or visited them. In 1993 at Easter, I had a nervous breakdown. A long long night, and they gave me xanax. Fast forward to August 1993, and now they say I have bipolar disorder/borderline personality syndrome. Lithium, Prozac, and Xanax. I was sooo deranged. I started hearing voices... voice mostly. She yelled at me all the time. I named her Lillian. In 1994 I tried to kill myself. Two weeks of hospitalizations. By then I was about... 250 lbs I think. Years of different meds and bloods tests and EEG's and tons of therapy.... I hated life so much... but food made me feel happy. I would sit on the sofa watching Disney movies eating a bag of oreos and I felt so safe and loved and happy. Food + Sedentary = FAT. Anyhow, in spring 1997 they gave me new meds and I was well again and everything was great. Jaan and I renewed our vows and my hair was a long and straight strawberry blonde, I started going to church again, getting friends... Life was perfect. I loved life. Every day was a wonderful adventure. I was about 330 lbs then. I didnt mind one bit.
Ha Ha Ha.
In March of 2002 my husband confesssed he had been cheating on me for the past year and half, and had spent all our savings. I was so devastated. I got all my hair chopped off, ate even more, and started meeting strange men who would beat me. I thought it was great, b/d I secretly hoped one of them would kill me. I was 350.
In June of 2003, I decided I wanted this weight off. I wanted to be thinner. I looked into WLS. They said I needed 6 months of supervised diet. I did it. I gained another 25 pounds in that six months, LOL. Nice. At the end of my six months I was so happy and went to the doctors office, and BINGO! New Reqiremenets for WLS. 1) 5 year supervised diet - 5 years 2) No history of depression. I forget the others on the list, but those two got me.
My husband was ignoring me, my parents were back together but weird, I was willingly going into abusive relationsships, I had been cutting myself regularly since 2002, but I still knew there had to be an end to this. So, On January 1st 2004 I started Atkins for the bazillinth time. But this was it. I had a couple slip ups in March, but other than that I've been fine. Life has been so-so. I was still depressed. Still changing meds. Still seeing a therapist. Psychodad is ever on the rampage. My mom is diabetic. I started a new job after an almost-layoff, Husband is still very distant, I was still seeing a couple of people to beat me, I had like this whole secret life and I was so confused. But I stayed on plan. My husband lost his job for a very very bad reason and I stayed on plan. Psychodad keeps my mom prisoner, and I stayed on plan. Jaan eats bakers square pie in front of me... I drink diet soda. Budget says we only spend $40 a week on groceries, I eat tuna and eggs and lettuce. Layoffs again at work, I still eat under 20 carbs. My insurance changed, and I had to change therapitssts/doctors. My worst fear ever. Omg. I did NOT wanna go in the hospital again. I hadn't been in since 1995. Carey helped me and so did all myfreiends here. I got through the Tim/Steve transition. And... I think we like Steve, right? Jaan was unemployed for a month and a half almost and my savings was almost gone, but I still stayed under 20 carbs. I still lost weight. I'm not saying my life is any worse than anyone else's, but I tend to be a big baby. I don't travel. I am afraid to be farther than one hour from my home. I can't get on the tollways. Most of my days involve work, and then sitting here or at a cafe online. I am always hiding. We go to Borders and Jaan has choclate strawberry cheesecake, and I would have the itty bitty package of s/f peanuts with chocolate. We go to Starbucks, OUR hangout, and I don't have chai anymore. I have water or diet black cherry soda (gross- tastes like cough syrup).
GBL asked me tonight what did it. What made Atkins "click" after two years of messing around with it.
What did it for me was:
i looked in the mirror one day, and i couldn't find nice clothes and my hair was all cut off
and iwas gettting so depressed again.
and i said no more
i want my life back
to hell with the fricking bipolar, and i want my hair long and pretty and i wanna be thinner and wear cool clothes and i wanna live what i can before i die
b/c if i die it will be at MY hands, no one elses
not at the mercy of some obesity-related disease.
My choice.

Today I am 289 lbs. I never thought this could happen. I am so happy. I am also happy that I was finally a little more truthful with my doctor and should be back to normal after new meds and possibly day programs.

Thanks everyone, couldn't do this without all of you!
And special thanks to Carey.... my bestest friend in the whole wide world. You accepted me for who I am. I am so lucky. I very much doubt I would be alive and 289 lbs if you hadn't been there for me... helping me to stop doing unhealthy things, and always cheering me on. I am so very thankful for you every day! I wear my friendship ring every day. Remember the motto. :Hugs: and Love.

And also to my dear sweet free spirit, Frances. It's so nice to have a friend. Thank you for everything! Love you!

Jojo

Last edited by HappyMe; 06-01-2005 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: spelling errors...
HappyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: epix
Stats: 426/205/175
Start Date: July 2004
I am 20 years old and started last July (04) on general low carb/eat better diet..

I've basically been real big all my life, was about 285lbs my freshman year HS, 385 by my Junior year, and topped off at 426lbs when I was thinking of getting gastric bypass surgery.. I went to the WLS surgery seminar last spring and I was one of the biggest people there but felt like by having the surgery I would just be giving up on myself so after quite a bit of thought I decided I could atleast try to lose it by myself.

What really made me want to lose the weight was I felt so sick and tired.. I would wake up almost every morning and get sick, at school just walking to classes on campus I would get winded and take short breaks to catch my breath, in the winter (gets cold here in MI) I sometimes couldn't breathe and felt a couple times that I was really close to dying. I never smoked or ever had alcohol in my life so I knew 100% it was my weight that was affecting me.

That summer after hoping to do WLS, then finally realizing it was not for me (not because of 'risk', but due to the thought it was the easy way out) I saw all the LC stuff over the news and decided to try it. I started early July '04. My parents made me a deal that if I lost 50lbs by the end of '04 they would give me a reward.. this helped motivate me to lose the weight also. Now that I think back about getting a reward I do feel kinda guilty about it, but atleast it got me started to making myself more healthy.

Since then I've stuck pretty consistent with staying low carb but most importantly keeping away from constantly snacking on junk food. I still have food I like once in a while that may not be totally healthy, but I've really learned to moderate myself. Living at college can make this pretty tough but I know its gonna be worth it in the end.

I've lost a bit over 150lbs in 11 months (beat my goal of 50lbs by losing 85lbs by end of last year), Most of the time doing very little excercise. This semester at school I've signed up for a weight training class and I visit the campus gym more often and occasional swim. I do feel A LOT better than when I began. I still have quite a bit to lose, but I know I will do it.

My goals for right now are to keep losing the weight, regularly attend gym and do more activities, become more social, and just enjoy life more. So far I'm on the right track and I am doing better in life than I ever have and I am glad of the choices I have made since last summer.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info and support on this site and for everyone else to keep up the good work.

7/1/04 - Weight: 426lb - Start of Atkins
4/8/06 - Weight: 211lb - Down 215lbs!
7/1/10 - Weight: 377lb - Eek!! Restart!
6/1/12 - Weight: 205lb - That's more like it

Member BootCampCharlie Challenge

Last edited by epix; 06-01-2005 at 07:40 PM..
epix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:49 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: G-Mom
Stats: 322/218/175
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: June 28, 2003
G-Mom's Journey So Far...

G-Moms Story

I was 8 lbs. 8 oz. when I was born, which was considered downright huge back then and no one kept that fact from me as a child. Maybe somewhere deep inside, I thought I was supposed to be a huge person and ate like a huge person ought to eat. My childhood was filled with disappointment, starting with the letdown of being overweight. I would come home from school and proceed to eat an entire bag of chips. Eating soothed me. Food never made fun of me for being fat, it never punched me in the stomach for being fat either. Other kids did those things. So being alone with my food was very cathartic.

Then, when I was 10, my parents divorced and more stress followed. My father, instead of loving me and helping me get through the divorce unscathed, called me a fat pig and further burdened me with emotional pain. I did the only thing I could do to ease the pain; I ate. Food medicated me. I couldnt possibly let go of the one constant that got me through all the tough times. Thankfully, my Mom married someone willing to be a father and help me shape up. The combination of sports, genetics (I started getting taller), and controlled eating helped me trim up. I enjoyed a relatively slim teen years and early twenties until I met my future husband when food became a problem again.

This time I didnt overeat because I felt pain, but because I was happy. High carb, high fat meals became part of our relationship, something we looked forward to and planned. My weight shot up from a healthy 175 lbs, to an unhealthy 235 lbs during our two- year courtship. After we were married, my weight problem escalated at an alarming rate. Within three months we were pregnant and at my first Ob/gyn visit I weighed 260lbs. Pregnancy was extremely difficult. I gained 60 lbs and suffered horrible edema. After giving birth and breastfeeding for 6 months, I went on Atkins and lost all the pregnancy weight . I was thrilled and very happy with Atkins. Then, in 2002, I got pregnant again. I desperately wanted to stay on Atkins Maintenance, but at that time I didnt have Internet support sites, and both my doctor and husband were not convinced staying on Atkins would be safe for the baby. I knew it would be, but I decided to keep the peace and went back to my old way of eating, which took a devastating toll on my health. I shot up to 322lbs when I gave birth and then stayed there. I breastfed for 9 months, but the weight stayed.

I felt horrendous at 322 lbs. I would dread getting on the floor to play with my kids, as getting up was quite the event. I remember having to get onto my knees first, then push myself up from there. Sometimes I thought I needed a crane. My clothes resembled tents, primarily because I still wore my size 3X maternity shirts and 26/28 elasticized shorts. If I ever were interested in buying non-stretchy clothes (I never was), they would have had to be a size 32, according to my measurements. I would look at myself in photos and in the mirror and think to myself, I used to walk into a room and I would turn heads, now those people would be disgusted and possibly even pity me. I had simply had enough. So, on June 28, 2003 I decided I was going to get that girl back if it took me 5 years to do it, I will look at her again in the mirror.

My Atkins journey hasnt been all smooth sailing. I have officially fallen off the wagon three misery filled times. The first time I became violently ill. All three times I was nauseous every day, very bloated, fatigued and depressed. Even though those times were filled with misery, I actually treasure them. They made me appreciate how the Atkins WOE makes me feel and look. The change in how I felt was almost immediate each time I went back to Atkins. I know now that my body prefers low carb and I perform best eating this way. That is irrefutable. I also know now that I am a carb addict in the worst way. Food made with white flour and sugar flip a switch in my brain and I cant stop eating them. They make me eat when Im not hungry and when Im bored or depressed. I become that unhappy little child again instead of the confident, happy, controlled adult. With Atkins, I am freed from the chains that those bad foods shackle me with. I know that I can never be one of those dieters who finds success with eating in moderation. People who find success this way, either dont have that switch or have control of it. I am just so glad Atkins exists so that switch stays off.

Atkins has helped me lose 101 lbs so far. Never has a diet ever been so pleasant to be on. I am rarely hungry, and I am bursting with energy almost all the time. In the warm months, I enjoy walking, and last Summer I even jogged! When I was at my top weight I remember struggling to go for short strolls with my family, now I can walk fast for an hour at a time. Ive watched my clothing size go from a 3XL-4XL to an XL and my chest/waist/hip measurements go from 56"/52"/57" to 41"/37"/45". I am looking forward to each new size and the rewarding feeling I will get. Ultimately, I hope to achieve my goal of 175 lbs and a size 12, a size I havent been since 1995. If I reach a size 12 before I get down to 175, I will just maintain, because weight isn't as important as size to me. I would love it if 2005 would be the year I achieve that goal, but I am shooting for June 2006 as this would mark my 3-year Atkins anniversary.

G-Mom
G-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:33 AM   #90
princess peskironi WIT

Gallery: Peskie
Stats: eek!
WOE: whatever it takes to be a good, energetic mommy!!
Start Date: 11/12/03 goal 7/11/05, crash, burn, restart again!
Late 2003.I was lying in my bed just about to drift off to sleep and thinking about my family and what wed be through over the past year with my mothers aneurysm and extended care. I was NOT comfortable AT ALL in my body. It was tiring to do anything and I had NO energy and I was in denial about why. In addition, I had heartburn regularly and pressure in my chest at night. It scared me while I was thinking of my family and wondering Who would take care of my mother if I was gone? I knew my husband would genuinely have a hard time if he lost me and that wasnt fair to either of them. I didnt like the picture in my mind. And I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, at the rate I was going, Id be dead by the time I hit 40. Death itself didnt scare me into it. It took realizing how selfish it would be to the survivors to do anything about it. I was a binge eater and hid it pretty well. Nobody knew how much I really ate. I ate in the car frequently and would stop to clean my car out, so nobody would see the wrappers. Id eat steak and potatoes for dinner and then after dinner, sneak crackers with A1 sauce on them. I had a full size bag of cheese doodles on the way home from work in the evenings, hid crackers and chips in the end tables and rarely stayed in the same room with hubby in the evenings (couldn't sneak food that way :blush: ) Now, every night I'm here posting in the same room he's playing games and posting on politics boards.

So, on November 12, 2003, I decided I would at least try Atkins up to Christmas and listen to the old English proverb Dont dig your grave with your own knife and fork. I figured that would get the risk pounds off and then I could go back to eating how I ate before (only less of it) and maybe Id be okay. Id be fat, but not morbidly obese. No, I did not see this as a way of life.

I was pleased with the results, but even more pleased with how I felt.
My initial goal was to just lose enough to not be at risk. Then I changed my goal to size 12. Once I hit 12s, I realized I was doing EXACTLY what Dr Atkins warned us about in his books. He tells us to give serious consideration to what we want to be. He said, we probably dont expect to be models, however, you may be looking to the other extreme, towards goals that are too modest, like less fat and relatively healthy (thinking its more than we can hope for). He says we should set our sights higher than that, shooting for ideal weight, excellent health, etc. Its realistic AND satisfying. I genuinely believe thats why I didnt post my stats with start and goal until after I hit the size 12 mark and came to this realization. I KNEW I wasnt doing it right, but the ideal me well, the journey seemed WAY too formidable to ever achieve that again.

How did I set my weight goal? From the formula in Protein Power, combined with my lucky number. Im there now. I need to tone up a little bit. My body is still not what I see as ideal, but Im going to give my skin time to catch up, get in plenty of sunshine and swimming this summer, tone up and then see if I need to lose anymore. The number on the scale isnt as important as the clothes on my body. Im getting into 8s now and working to be consistently in 8s. Whatever weight that give me will be okay, because Im in the healthy zone (by weight charts and how I feel) now regardless. I want to look and feel good and right now Im happy with myself and claiming goal.

For those just starting~~~It is worth the time and effort! Once you get through the first few days, it gets easier, you feel better and its not an option to not continue. Yes, its taken me over a year and a half, but what is the amount of time that it will take, compared to the REST of your life? Every day on plan puts you one day closer to goal. Every day off plan puts you 3-4 days away further from goal. Youre definitely NOT getting to goal by continuing what has never worked and what made you gain weight to begin with.

You can do it. Don't focus on what you are not having. Focus on what you CAN have! The choices with low carb are so much more succulent. Yum!!

Has it ever been hard? Have I ever wanted potato chips? Have I ever wanted to go back to eating the way I did before? Have I ever caved and ate things not on plan? Yep, of course! But deep down, the determination, the reasons and the success kept me on track for the long haul, getting back on plan with the very next meal, not to mention the differences in how I feel. I weigh daily. (Dr Atkins recommends frequent weigh ins) I know it doesnt work for some (counterproductive), but its required for meI gain too quickly when I do gain and the daily affirmations are required for me to succeed.

This did eventually become a way of life for me, although it didnt start that way. Last summer, I realized I found what works to maintain and thought to myself, I never have to diet again when I hit goal. All I have to do is find out my level of maintenance and stick to it.

Then it hit me---THIS is what Dr Atkins refers to in his book. It REALLY IS a way of life!

"A home without a dog is just a house"

http://peskie-stilldreaming.blogspot.com/
Peskie is offline   Reply With Quote