Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   A good muffin -- easily found ingredients (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/93208-good-muffin-easily-found-ingredients.html)

Kim in MN 04-29-2003 05:24 AM

A good muffin -- easily found ingredients

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm skeptical about paying $20 for a can of protein powder to make muffins only to find out they taste terrible. Same with soy mixes. I tweaked a recipe last night and came up with a great tasting and texture muffin. I may reduce the amount of cinnamon next time, but they are still wonderful for breakfast. I imagine you could also omit the cinnamon and increase the flax and add different extracts to create different flavors.

Flaxmeal Cinnamon Muffins

6 TBSP. vegetable or corn oil
3 large eggs, separated
4 TBSP. vanilla Davinchi syrup (or flavor of choice)
2 TBSP. water
1 TBSP. vanilla extract

1 cup flaxmeal
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 TBSP. cinnamon

Mix oil, egg yolks, syrup, water and vanilla. Add all dry ingredients and mix well. Beat the egg whites to soft peaks and gently fold into the wet mixture. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 greased muffin tins. Bake at 350 for approx. 12 - 15 minutes. Remove from pan immediately.

I'm not sure of the carb count since the original recipe called for 1 TBSP. Splenda and 6 TBSP. water. I changed it to the liquid sweetner. The original recipe calculated to 66 carbs for the entire recipe but that was without subtracting carbs for the flaxmeal and cinnamon.

CarolynF 04-29-2003 07:28 PM

Looks great..I will try them...soon..Carolyn

2AHealthyJan 05-04-2003 10:54 AM

Re: A good muffin -- easily found ingredients

When I put this into Mastercook it said 104 grams of Carb per batch.....is there a more reliable place to enter ingredients and find out carb count? This can't possibly be right.

JazzyV 05-04-2003 11:03 AM

Jan, I put this into Mastercook and got 49g carbs with 39g of fiber for a net of 10 carbs for the whole batch. If you make it into 12 muffins, that's 0.9 carbs per muffin.

MelaGal 05-04-2003 11:30 AM

Yummy!!

I made these yesterday. My dh loved!! them. The fact that they did not move him out of ketosis was a great plus!!

I did, grind 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut in my coffee grinder, and added it to the mix. I did add a bit more water and sweetener.

I'll probably be making these again today.

I did have a tough time getting the muffins out of the pan. I'm going to try muffin papers next time.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

~a

CarolynF 05-04-2003 02:07 PM

I always spray my muffin papers with Pam...it helps alot...:)

liz777 05-04-2003 04:24 PM

I've tried papers and hate them --- too much muffin left on paper --- spray with pam here too.

sunflower43017 05-04-2003 04:30 PM

Thanks! These sound good.

MelaGal 05-04-2003 04:42 PM

Pam it is

Guess I'll be purchasing some pam. I oiled each muffin with olive oil and thought that would do the same as Pam. I'm gathering from your posts that it must not!!

Thanks
~a

miss eleni 05-04-2003 08:49 PM

I tried these tonight, and the muffins came out great. I'm a lazy cook, so I didn't bother to separate the eggs and the muffins rose just fine. I've had problems with other flax muffin recipes - the muffins would take forever to cook in the middle. Not a problem with this recipe. I only used a tablespoon of cinnamon, because that was all I had on hand. Next time I think I'll use more, or maybe add a bit of ginger and nutmeg.
:cool:

Lisa
14/12/8

Kim in MN 05-05-2003 06:22 AM

I'm glad everyone is enjoying these! I can't believe how close texture they are to a "regular flour" muffin they are. They are also very filling and help me not "snack" my way through the morning. They are one of my favorites since they call for "everyday" type ingredients and are so low in carbs. I'm gonna try to make them with a little canned pumpkin, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon next time. I'll spread them with a little cream cheese mixed with vanilla and splenda for a cream cheese "icing".

sunflower43017 05-05-2003 12:01 PM

I made these today and they were great. I was surprised how much they rose. I made them as minimuffins. My 6 year old liked them as well.

dizneegirl 05-05-2003 04:32 PM

Per Serving: 146 Calories; 12g Fat (74.0% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 91mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

SIStem_shock 05-06-2003 01:46 PM

I made these this morning with the splenda instead of davinci syrup and used 1Tbsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, and a few shakes of allspice, ginger, and cloves. [COLOR=deeppink]Very good![/COLOR] Mine stuck some too, even though I used a brand new non-stick pan and oiled it first. Thanks for the recipe!

SIS

chillie queen 05-06-2003 02:22 PM

Just joined this board and hoping I'll get some help with recipes! I love cooking and really miss using my bread machine! Tried the Atkins Bread Mix and the resulting loaf was vile! These muffins sound nicer.

How much Splenda did you use instead of the syrup?

Thanks

Denise

divechime 05-06-2003 03:03 PM

Chillie Queen
Quote:

How much Splenda did you use instead of the syrup?
The Original post indicated:
Quote:

I'm not sure of the carb count since the original recipe called for 1 TBSP. Splenda and 6 TBSP. water.
So I'd start there and taste to be sure.

emily1965 05-08-2003 04:51 AM

I made these last night and they are sooooo good. I also didn't separate the eggs.

januarybride 05-08-2003 05:44 AM

I wanted to say that I made these last night as well. Like a few others, I did not separate the eggs. They were soooo good. I cut a few of them in half and filled them with a cream cheese frosting made from cream cheese, splenda and vanilla. They were very good. I think I'm going to try them next time with some chocolate davinci syrup and fill them with fresh whipped cream!

Thanks for a great recipe that does not use a ton of specialty products!

Katrina

tigerlilyrose 05-08-2003 08:21 PM

Good recipe!
I added a dash of salt and a little pumpkin pie spice and sweet & low brown sugar sub. The sweet taste of the sucralose in the da vinci syrup faded before I finished eating a muffin (which is usual for me), so I will be making these with erythritol as soon as I receive my order. Thanks for such and tasty and easy recipe! :cool:

Nikki2777 05-09-2003 11:35 AM

These sound just wonderful... will have to try them for Mother's Day!!! Thanks for the recipe.

Nikki

DebOnWeb 05-10-2003 02:25 PM

I made these yesterday and these are delicious!

I didn't use Splenda or Davinci. I used half Diabetisweet and half Xylitol.

I didn't separate the eggs either.

Thank you so much for posting this recipe!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
that's how happy we are. LOL

2001MaryT 05-10-2003 10:26 PM

I love recipes that don't call for exotic ingrediants or lots of steps to mix things. I just dumped my eggs in also and they turned out great! I chickened out - just couldn't see adding so much cinnamon so I just used 1 TBL....next time I will add 2!!! I also think I'm going to kick up the sweetening a bit too, or use the cream cheese frosting. Great basic recipe that's yummy!! Thanks!

MaryT

Xsurfrgrl 05-11-2003 06:04 AM

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I had everything on hand for a change and they were delicious!!

Disneegirl - thanks for posting the nutritional info so I can plug that into ******.

tigerlilyrose 05-12-2003 06:16 PM

Where do all those carbs come from in this recipe? My bag of flaxseed states it contains 4 grams of carb with 4 grams of fiber. I'm confused! :confused:

cwooden 05-13-2003 10:36 AM

Re: Pam it is

Quote:

Originally posted by MelaGal
Guess I'll be purchasing some pam. I oiled each muffin with olive oil and thought that would do the same as Pam. I'm gathering from your posts that it must not!!
The trick is to remove the muffins ASAP. I use a generous amount of Mazola spray in each cup and no papers. However, don't let them cool in the pan but run a spatula around the edge of the cup to loosen them and they should pop out. Dobie muffins have the same problem. Don't use the papers either because the muffin will stick to that and you will lose alot of the muffin to the paper.

2001MaryT 05-13-2003 01:44 PM

I used olive oil spray, ran a kitchen knife around the edges and they plopped right out.

Worked great!

pprincess8 05-13-2003 02:22 PM

Has anyone who has tried these also tried Dobie muffins? I'm interested in knowing how they compare in taste. I'm a big fan of dobie muffins, but the recipe i've been using to make 12 muffins uses 1 cup of vanilla davinci per batch, and its getting expensive! Would love a similar testing recipe with less davinci! Thanks in advance

mamax6 05-14-2003 11:46 AM

I just made these. They were delicious. Several of my kids came to me and said 'Mom, what smells so good." ;) Very easy to make. Thanks so much for sharing them.

I've made the Dobie Muffins 1x before, they didn't do much for me. I think these are much lighter in texture and tastier than the Dobie muffins.

skincandy 05-14-2003 11:58 AM

I'm asking the same question as Tigerlilyrose...

What *is* the actual carb count ? Thee different people have come up with 3 different carb counts ranging from 10 to 0.9. Makes a big difference for people (like me !) still on induction.

I like the 0.9 gr best !

So Low Carb Experts, what's the official count ?

Skincandy

woodswoman 05-14-2003 07:34 PM

Um, you can't have muffins on induction. :D

Sux, doesn't it? I want muffins in the worst way!