Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2003, 05:01 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 265.5/253.0/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
I have this recipe in Mastercook, and I get 4g carbs per muffin (based on making 12) with 3g fiber, for a net carb of 1g.
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2003, 06:23 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/199/160 5'5.5"
Kim,
You have created what looks like will be a favorite on this Low Carb Journey!

I think you need to officially give these muffins a name so people know what to call them.

Of course, you can go with "Kim's Muffins" or anything else. Many people will benefit from you sharing your recipe!

Thanks!
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 06:51 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joolz
Kim, I can't thank you enough for posting this wonderful recipe!!! I just baked them and they are so good. I hate eggs, so coming up with breakfast ideas has been pretty hard for me. These muffins are just the ticket, and they taste "real", (Not like the nasty rye "bread" mix I bought awhile back. Yuck!) In fact, I have invited a friend from the LCF boards that I happen to know IRL to join the kids and me for lunch, and your muffins are on the menu. Thanks so much for sharing!
Joolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 06:53 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kdog41
Stats: 197/156.6/160
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 01/12/2003
For those of you wwho want to use muffin cups but find the muffins stick to them try the foil ones. Most of the recipes I make that stick to the paper cups work fine with the foil. The only thing is when you nuke them in the microwave you need to put them in a baggie
kdog41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:20 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Location: Depends...under the blistering sun w/humidity or in a snowdrift...depends on the season
Gallery: Kim in MN
Stats: 301.2/270.8/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/21/2014
I'm glad everyone is enjoying the muffins. I wish I could take full credit for these, but I only adapted and made changes to "Dars Cinnamon Flaxmeal Muffin" recipe.
Kim in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 12:36 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyTwinsMom
WOE: LowCarb & Patience
Start Date: It's a fresh start everyday...!
bump
PhillyTwinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:06 AM   #37
Cake Lover

Gallery: chefchick66
Stats: 14/6-8/Solid 6
WOE: Eating to Run and Running to EAT!
Start Date: August 2002
I've been making these for a while now and while they do taste great, I didn't particularly care for the texture of them.

So, this weekend, I made them again and substituted almond flour for 1/2 the flax, used coconut SF syrup, added 1/4 cup of coconut, and increased the SF syrup a bit. They turned out GREAT!

Also, unlike most muffins, I prefer these cooled instead of hot. A bit of butter and a small dot of SF Apricot Butter...DELICIOUS!

chefchick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 06:27 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tigerlilyrose
Stats: 335/135/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1-10-2002
My whole family is counting carbs and we all love these muffins. They are so versatile! Has anyone tried to make this into a savory instead of sweet muffin? Kind of a bread substitute?
tigerlilyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 11:10 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DebOnWeb
Stats: FatAsAPig/Chubby/NotChubby
Start Date: January 19, 2003
well, I made these again, using liquid splenda. They are much better made with half Diabetisweet and half Xylitol. The texture is better and they come out sweeter.

They are sure yummy!
DebOnWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 12:47 PM   #40
DebbieDo

Gallery: DebbieDo
flaxmeal???

Can u get this at the regular grocery store or a specialty shop?
Old 06-05-2003, 01:35 PM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mrs Sarah
Stats: 320/190/170
WOE: WLS - LC diet
Start Date: October 2009
What is the texture like on these??
Mrs Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:32 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sand
Quote:
My whole family is counting carbs and we all love these muffins. They are so versatile! Has anyone tried to make this into a savory instead of sweet muffin? Kind of a bread substitute?

I've made these as a savoury muffin. I added finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes and black olives, parmesan cheese, oregano and a little garlic.

They were delicious!
sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:39 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yael polat
Does the DaVinci syrup stand instead of sweetener? We don't have it in Israel (not yet). But I found a powder sweetener based on sucralose and sugar (carb free of course). It comes in little bags of 1.5 g, I guess close to one teaspoon sugar. Do I use one bag and 4 tablespoons water instead of 4 tablespoons of syrup?

I never used it or any artificial sweeteners till now. Because I stay far from non needed chemicals but every one on the board seems to say that there is no aftertaste and I understand it is relatively made out of natural products so I bought my first package.
I understand it is similar to what you call Splenda.
I also would like to do a cheese cake from all the wonderful recipes. Most of the recipes call for one Splenda cup. I apologize for the silly question, but does it mean, I open each bag and pour it into a cup. If they are 25 bags in the package I bought, I'm not even sure I'll have enough.
Thank you,
Yael
yael polat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 06:49 AM   #44
DebbieDo

Gallery: DebbieDo
Davinchi syrup

I am new and i was wondering where do i get the davinchi syrup?
online?
Old 06-06-2003, 06:57 AM   #45
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Banshee5
http://www.netrition.com is a great site for LC products. Check it out!
Banshee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:29 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Quote:
Originally posted by yael polat
I found a powder sweetener based on sucralose and sugar (carb free of course). It comes in little bags of 1.5 g, I guess close to one teaspoon sugar. Do I use one bag and 4 tablespoons water instead of 4 tablespoons of syrup?

I understand it is similar to what you call Splenda.
I also would like to do a cheese cake from all the wonderful recipes. Most of the recipes call for one Splenda cup. I apologize for the silly question, but does it mean, I open each bag and pour it into a cup. If they are 25 bags in the package I bought, I'm not even sure I'll have enough.
Thank you,
Yael
I think you're going to need to figure out just how much sweetness each packet equals.

Our Splenda comes in two different versions... there is Splenda granular/pourable, which comes in a box, and is cup-for-cup as sweet as sugar. We use it as a direct replacement for sugar.

Then there are Splenda packets... each packet = 2 teaspoons of sugar in sweetness. So, to substitute for a cup of sugar, we use 24 packets, which equals 1 cup of sweetness.

Your packets may equal 1 teaspoon of sweetness, in which case you'd need to use 48 of them for a cup. Or, they may equal 2 teaspoons, so you'd use 24 packets.

As far as the DaVinci... if you don't have it, you can substitute the equivalent sweetness in powdered sweetner... you'll probably also want to add a little extract (vanilla, if it calls for vanilla DaVinci), and maybe a little water, too. The water may or may not be necessary... look at your batter and go from there.

Hope that helps!

As far as where to buy DaVinci - Super WalMart stocks a couple of flavors, you can find them sometimes at TJ Maxx or Marshall's, some specialty coffee shops have them (Boston Stoker around here carry them), Cash & Carry or Smart & Final carry them, or you can buy them online from netrition.com (see the links top or bottom of any page), other websites, or from the company itself... davincigourmet.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:38 AM   #47
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mrs Sarah
Stats: 320/190/170
WOE: WLS - LC diet
Start Date: October 2009
Bumping my texture question...what is the texture of these muffins like?
Mrs Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 09:54 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tigerlilyrose
Stats: 335/135/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1-10-2002
The texture is similar to a regular muffin. I made a double batch today with da vinci butter rum flavor, a little squirt of liquid splenda, and a dash of salt. I made them in a 9x13 pan and baked at 350 for 30 minutes. They had a nice texture, but they tasted "flaxier" than usual. This is the first time I made them without cinnamon. I wonder if lack of cinnamon is what made made the difference. By the way, the idea of making a savory muffin with shredded parmesan and spices sounds good. I will try it soon.
tigerlilyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 06:13 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mrscapiii
Stats: more than I'm comfortable sharing
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Feb 2007
I just got a batch of these out of the oven. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but they were terrible. They smelled wonderful, but they had literally no taste at all and had a slimy texture. It had to be something I did, because everyone is raving about these muffins. Any ideas??

Lynne
mrscapiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mrscapiii
Stats: more than I'm comfortable sharing
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Feb 2007
bumping for ideas cuz I would really like some muffins! Seriously, I just had to throw out the whole batch-they were just blech! Maybe if I made them with almond flour they wouldn't be so slimy? Was that from the flax? It was Bob's Redmill Flaxmeal. I purchased some Diabetasweet (the granular baking formula)yesterday-if I used some of that in place of the Davinci, would that make them sweeter? How much? They smelled sooo good, but they had zero taste. I HAD to have done something wrong!! And I want muffins!! Help!

Lynne
mrscapiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 06:04 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kaisergirl
Stats: 152~176 (preg)~ 133~192 (preg)~146~130 5'4
WOE: Atkins/low cal
Start Date: Jan. 2003
I just made my fourth batch since discovering these little dandies and haven't ever had any problems. I've experimented each time. Last time I added about 1/4 pumpkin. Very yummy. this time I used gingerbread davinci, added some allspice, and walnuts. They're in the oven as I type!!

Someone earlier mentioned these were not allowed on induction. Why not? Everything in the ingredients in allowed so why not? Just because it's a "muffin" shouldn't make it off limits. JMO. I'm enjoying them either way!!!
kaisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 05:58 AM   #52
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Question for you muffin-makers: I was only able to find the Atkins chocolate syrup - no Davinci in my stores. Do you think that will still be ok in this recipe?

Also, what would you suggest as add-ins if I do use chocolate syrup?

FYI, if it does turn out ok, it costs less than the Davinci syrup ($7.99) on the websites - like $4.99 a bottle.

thanks for any input!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 06:31 AM   #53
MyzticSerenity

Gallery: MyzticSerenity
I'm gonna try this as a "treat" when I'm off induction. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 06-09-2003, 09:16 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Quote:
Originally posted by TaDa!
I was only able to find the Atkins chocolate syrup - no Davinci in my stores. Do you think that will still be ok in this recipe?

FYI, if it does turn out ok, it costs less than the Davinci syrup ($7.99) on the websites - like $4.99 a bottle.
DaVinci = Torani = Atkins

They're all pretty much the same.

FYI - The DaVinci bottles that sell for $7.99 online are twice the size of the small Atkins syrups. (The $7.99 DaVinci bottles are 25.4 oz., the Atkins syrups are 12 oz.)
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 09:33 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ginbak
Stats: 224 / 191.5 /mini goal 175 / 157
WOE: Low carb, low-ish calorie. No junk.
Start Date: Back again Jan 26, 2007
I made these Friday night, but I experimented. I wish I would have tried them plain so that I can comment on the taste and texture, but I'm big on a "spash of this" and "a dash of that". And, I really, really wanted pumpkin cheesecake muffins.

What I did different was I used 4 eggs, added 1/2 can of pumpkin (about 7/8 cup), added powdered splenda to the batter to sweeten it (in addition to the 4 tbls of Vanilla DaVinci), used about 1 1/4 cups of flax and about 1/2 cup of wheat bran. I also upped the cinnamon a bit due to the larger volume.

Then, after putting it into the muffin pan - I put a small teaspoon of splenda sweetened cream cheese into each one and gently covered it with the batter. They blew out a little bit while baking, but not badly.

They are dreamy. Texture is terrific and the taste is great!

I have a comment on the slimy texture - I thought on cup of flax was not enough, so I added a bit of wheat bran. Also, if your flax sits in the batter too long, it will get slimy. Mix wet and dry right before you put into the baking dish and only after the oven is ready.

-g
ginbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 09:46 AM   #56
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Thanks so much dizneegirl!!

Anyone have any suggestions on what else to add if I use chocolate syrup - since that's all I could find?

You guys are so creative
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:32 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cwooden
I use the chocolate syrup for mine, too. I also add a little extra dark cocoa (2 TB) to the protein powder for extra choc. flavor and an additional tsp of Vanilla extract to the wet ingredients. Yummy!
cwooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Viki
Stats: 225/190.5/160
Start Date: I forget; but THIS TIME around 1/5/04
Ummm..going to make these tonight. Thanks
Viki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:31 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vixendrop
Stats: 343/317/275
WOE: Very LC
Start Date: 07/03/2013
Mmmm... these are great! I just made my first batch and they taste too good to be true!

I'm a little confused about the differing carb counts too though... my flaxmeal says 4g carbs, 4g fiber... so no carbs right? The eggs have carbs... but what else?

Editing - oops... I just realised I'd forgotten to add the water... they still taste FABULOUS!

Last edited by vixendrop; 06-09-2003 at 02:32 PM..
vixendrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:39 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: golightly
Stats: 147/146/130
Start Date: May 2000 (down to 122 from 150 and back again)
DBF made these when we wanted breakfast (and i'm not a big egg eater). I made up a little softened cream cheese with vanilla torani syrup (as per an earlier post) and the muffins were to recipe. with the cream cheese spread on each half, they were great! i love knowing *exactly* what is in my food. according to my flax meal package and ****** for the other ingredients i came out at >1g per muffin, rounding up to 1g each. beats the heck out of the atkin's blueberry muffin mix i'd been buying when i got desperate.
golightly is offline   Reply With Quote