Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2003, 04:11 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
How do I cook celery root?

Am I supposed to peel it then boil it? I heard that you can bake it too. Do you bake it with the skin on? I have no idea where to begin, LOL!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2003, 08:43 PM   #2

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
What I do is to peel it..and slice and cut it and then I steam it
for 20 minutes until it is soft. Then I mash it with butter, sour cream, chives, salt and pepper and bake it in a casserole dish. I put some cheese on the top for extra flavor...I absolutely love it...

I think I might try it as a cold salad...like potato salad soon.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:13 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
Here's one way I like to prepare it:

Celery Root Puree

With a sharp knife, peel as little as skin from the root as you can get by with. Cut in about 1/2” cubes. Put in saucepan and add one can chicken broth (I use Swanson’s 100% fat-free). Simmer root until fork tender. Drain. Place in food processor and puree with salt, pepper & butter.
SSin-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:53 AM   #4

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
According to my Food Lover's Encyclopedia:

"Celeriac is most often eaten raw. A classic way of using it is to grate it or cut it into thin strips or cubes, and to serve it as a salad seasoned with a remoulade dressing. Celeriac can also be cooked, either on its own or in combination with other vegetables. It makes a good puree mixed with potatoes and also adds a pleasant aroma to soups and stews. Celeriac lends itself particularly well to braising, and is delicious topped with a Mornay or bechemel sauce and gratineed.

Celeriac is very easy to prepare: simply wash it, peel it (either before or after cooking), and cut it. Since it oxidizes quickly on contact with air, it should be sprinkled with vinegar or lemon juice or cooked as soon as it is cut to prevent discoloration.

A short cooking time is recommended for celeriac, since overcooking tends to transform it into a rather tasteless and sticky paste. Allow 10 to 15 minutes when boiling it and 12 to 18 minutes when steaming it. Adding a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to the cooking liquid will frevent the celeriac from oxidizing."

Hope this helps! My understanding is that this really is a delicious veggie. Enjoy!

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]

Last edited by auntie3; 04-27-2003 at 01:56 AM..
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 02:44 PM   #5

Gallery:
Using a food processor or hand-held mixer makes a big difference if you want a mashed potatoe experience. I tried a hand mixer and it came out grainy. I also use it as a potatoe substitute in all sorts of things
-- cold leftover mashed makes great salmon or tuna croquettes, potato pancakes, etc.
-- make thin pancakes and use them as tortilla sub for gorditas.
-- top shepherd's pie
--julienned for frittata
--sliced thinly for chips

That's alll I've tried so far, but no major flops so far.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:54 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nightowl
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/02/2003
Delicious Hash Browns!

I didn't feel like leftover au gratin "potatoes" today for brunch so I took my leftovers, broke it up into pieces and fried them up in a little light olive oil. Doesn't take too long (1 minute 1st side 30 seconds second side) because this can burn easliy. I just cooked till crispy brown. Really really good. Tasted just like potatoes to me (no celery root, licorice flavor) and with the colby jack cheese it was delicious.

I've included my original posts from my experiment below. This was from the au gratin celery root version (#2 below).

I would rate this 5/5 stars . So good! I'm buying two of the ugly things next time. Once you get past the ugliness and peel this, it's a great find! Also, I really didn't like the taste of this raw at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lasagna or Ravioli Celery Root Help Please!!!

O.K. I have this big, ugly, hairy, scary looking thing in front of me. Now what do I do with it?

I'm trying the idea from one of the previous threads about using celeriac (celery root) for pasta and am trying to cook it up right now. (I can't believe I am so desperate for pasta that I'm doing this.)

I peeled it using a chef's knife, and sliced it thin with my food processor. Need to do the lemon juice in water thing so it doesn't turn brown. Thought I'd blanch it in chicken broth/salted boiling water. HOW LONG DO PEOPLE THINK?

Can I just layer like you would for lasagna? Meat sauce, sliced, blanched celery root, cheeses (mozz, parmesan), and repeat ending up with meat sauce and cheeses on top? Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly?

Any ideas? Any better ideas? I'll report back when I try it. Only problem is I have to leave and can't finish now. If I blanched the veggie and rinsed in cold water to stop the cooking can I put this in a plastic bag in the fridge?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I tried 3 different things with my blanched slices of celery root. I'd have to say that this vegetable is more of a potato substitute than a pasta substitute.

1) Tried just frying them up with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and paprika. They really shrunk a lot and you have to be careful not to overfry these because they will turn black on the edges and burn. I used too much salt but other than that, these were really pretty good. They got a little crispy and made tasty hash browns or snack food. I really didn't taste any of the original licoricey taste. 4/5 stars

2) Celery Root Gratin: Layered slices of the blanched celery root with cheese (I used colby jack), chicken broth, splashes of cream (I can't use too much due to food allergies) and pepper. On top I sprinkled the italian flavored keto crumbs and drizzled melted butter over that. Baked at 325 degrees for quite a while. 30 minutes was not enough. I think next time I would blanch the slices till just tender (10 - 15 minutes) and maybe use thicker slices for this and add a little more liquid. I would rate this 3.5/5 stars.

3) Lasagna: Put some homemade meat sauce on the bottom of a pan. Layered slices of the blanched celery root with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses then meat sauce. Topped with more mozzarella, parmesan and oregano. Baked at 350 degrees for quite a while. 30 minutes was not enough. I would rate this 2.5/5 stars mostly because it had the consistency of potatoes. I think for a lasagna substitute, I'll use eggplant parmesan next time.

Here's the recipe in a better format.

Au Gratin "Potatoes" & Leftover Hash Browns

For Celery Root Gratin:

Celery Root
Lemon Juice
Chicken Broth
Colby Jack Cheese
Cream
Pepper
Italian Keto Crumbs
Butter

Peel celeriac (celery root) using a chef's knife. Slice, using a food processor. Put slices in cold water and lemon juice.

Blanch slices in chicken broth until just tender (no more than 10 - 15 minutes). Drain in colander. These can be stored in the refrigerator until ready to use by rinsing with cold water to stop the cooking and storing in a Ziploc plastic bag.

To assemble Au gratin casserole, layer slices of the blanched celery root with cheese, chicken broth, splashes of cream and pepper. Sprinkle Italian flavored keto crumbs on top and drizzle melted butter over that.

Bake at 325 degrees for glass pans and 350 degrees for aluminum pans for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.

For Leftover Hash Browns:

Light Olive Oil

Using the Au Gratin "Potatoes" leftovers, break into pieces and fry in a little light olive oil at medium high heat until brown and crisp. It doesn't take too long (1 minute for 1st side and 30 seconds or so for second side).

Tastes just like potatoes with none of the raw celery root, licorice flavor.
nightowl is offline   Reply With Quote