Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Meringue cookies?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/87905-meringue-cookies.html)

Ang160 04-14-2003 04:12 PM

Meringue cookies??

Has anyone tried making meringue cookies with an artificial sweetner? You know the ones that are made mostly of egg whites and they are puffy.

Thanks
Ang

divechime 04-15-2003 05:21 PM

I followed the link to Bruce's recipes and went on to Kayt's thats where I found this:

Chocolate Meringues
Oven Temperature 225F
4 egg whites (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla
1/8th tsp cream of tartar
12 pkts artificial sweetener
1 tbsp cocoa unsweetened

1. Mix the artificial sweetener with the cocoa and set it aside.
2. In a metal bowl, beat together 4 egg whites,
vanilla, and cream of tartar until it forms stiff peaks.
3. Add sweetener/cocoa mixture and beat until blended.
4. Drop about 1 tablespoonful onto a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper.
5. Bake for 1 hour at 225 degrees.
6. If crisper meringues are desired, turn off the oven after 1 hour and let the meringues sit another 30 minutes before removing. Total carbs: 16 g

sorenkkg 03-22-2014 08:02 PM

Has anyone tried this recently?

Charski 03-22-2014 08:17 PM

I tried some early on in my LC days, using Splenda for sweetener. The texture was awful, like biting into styrofoam. So my advice is, don't use Splenda! :laugh:

sorenkkg 03-22-2014 09:48 PM

Thanks Char ;)

I have a batch in now, using a wee bit of real sugar, and a few drops of liquid Splenda. If these fail, I'll try erythritol next.

Chocolate Rose 03-23-2014 07:43 AM

I used to love meringue cookies, but have no luck with lcing them. In the winter edition of I Breathe I'm Hungry's ecookbook, there is a meringue cookie recipe that I keep meaning to try. But, work has been too busy lately to do any extra cooking - it's Sunday and I'm headed out in a few minutes to work again. The cookies look perfect in her picture.

Iwantlessofme 03-24-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 16847030)
Thanks Char ;)

I have a batch in now, using a wee bit of real sugar, and a few drops of liquid Splenda. If these fail, I'll try erythritol next.

Did they work?

Mindy

rosethorns 03-24-2014 08:43 PM

We tried for many years and they were a big fail. Now years later I've had some success. I make them using erythitol and they are ok.

I made them once using Birgit Kerrs recipe on her blog and they were great.

sorenkkg 03-24-2014 09:48 PM

Ok, so this is weird.... I mad 2 trays, and maybe bc i didnt rotate them? But the too tray made flat and crisp cookies, ans the bottom tray they were slightly poofier but chewy.

Also maybe bc the bottom tray ws made from the bottom of the bowl?

The flat crisp ones are delicious, but flat.

Ill try E, abd look up the blogs you mention.

Stay tuned!

Iwantlessofme 03-24-2014 11:42 PM

Can I use egg whites from a carton?
Mindy

Chickamomminy 03-25-2014 07:31 AM

I was just looking at meringue cookies this morning and wondering if Tagatose would work? I have yet to bake with it myself (but it's on my next Netrition order because my birthday and Easter are next month, so will be doing some 'special' baking). From what I have read, Tagatose seems to be closer in it's properties to sugar than most other sweeteners, which could be a good thing in meringues, no?

sorenkkg 03-25-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwantlessofme (Post 16849590)
Can I use egg whites from a carton?
Mindy

Yes. I did today, they were fine. Probably powdered too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickamomminy (Post 16849849)
I was just looking at meringue cookies this morning and wondering if Tagatose would work? I have yet to bake with it myself (but it's on my next Netrition order because my birthday and Easter are next month, so will be doing some 'special' baking). From what I have read, Tagatose seems to be closer in it's properties to sugar than most other sweeteners, which could be a good thing in meringues, no?

Might be an interesting experiment!

I did some with just E today, perfect form, dryness (needs more time, but the one i tested was ok). Just the cooling sensation is the issue. Ill try mixing with maybe diabetisweet next.

Jakelilydad 03-25-2014 09:33 PM

I have made them a couple of times using Carolyn Ketchum's recipe on All Day I dream About Food, and they work every time. I use powdered Swerve, and the only tweak I do is to leave them in the oven longer after turning off the heat. But the recipe makes 18-20 cookies, and I live alone; I found that they got soft if stored in a covered tupperware unless cooked longer. If that happens, just heat up the oven, turn off the heat, and put them back in to dry out again - works like a charm.

sorenkkg 03-26-2014 08:33 AM

Thanks Jakelilydad! I'm looking up all these different sweeteners... looks like swerve is a mix of erythritol and oligosaccharides... sounds pretty good actually.

I think the heat thing also depends on humidity where you live-- you and I are in the NE and it can get pretty humid here (compared to say the SW)... so that's always going to be something people have to look at for themselves.

I may just need to try some of these newer sweeteners and see what they can do for me :)

Thanks!
s.